{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby eggy » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:31 pm

Difficult to know whether to support this or not, without an idea of pricing etc. which might shift the balance of positive/negative for clubs.

Perhaps worth trying as an experiment for a season to see if the increased revenue (fans from farther afield who wouldn't travel to games) outweighs the decreased revenue (fans who might've gone if it wasn't streamed).
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:47 pm

eggy wrote:Difficult to know whether to support this or not, without an idea of pricing etc. which might shift the balance of positive/negative for clubs.

Perhaps worth trying as an experiment for a season to see if the increased revenue (fans from farther afield who wouldn't travel to games) outweighs the decreased revenue (fans who might've gone if it wasn't streamed).

It's a figure that's already known, as many match streams can be accessed legally already; tomorrow night's is an example.
It's hard to compare with games without available streaming, because there are many factors influencing the turnout. But in our case, crowds don't seem to be significantly lower than you'd expect. Don't forget that increased exposure via streaming leads to a bigger fan base.
As I said above, it's a different product. The stadium experience has several dimensions that (as we know from the 2020 season) you don't get with the live stream. A lot of people go to the match and hardly watch the game.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:15 pm

People watch ifollow for free now, any price increase will just increase the number of those who would rather not pay. I think it's a terrible idea and will have quite severe implications for actual attendances, as it does now when ifollow is available. Still, no queue for my cuppa at half time so not all bad and back to 2,000 gates with no need for the Gabitas Gate.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:13 pm

I wonder how many peoe listen at home on a Saturday would pay for video stream?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:54 pm

Personally I’m not in favour of this but can see both sides. I go to quite a few away games and I can easily see me giving up making the effort if I’ve got the easy option of a live stream. If others do the same that means less support at away games and reduces the atmosphere.
I think the balance of midweek games being on ifollow and Saturday 3pm remaining a time when you go to the games (or listen to commentary) gets the balance about right.
I would get rid of the rule that sometimes applies where the home team decides if the midweek fixture can be televised.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:35 pm

We saw in lockdown how soul-less football was without fans, now we have people on here who "can't see a downside" to allowing every game to be live streamed, which for anyone with basic IT knowledge, means available for free. I can only guess those who think it is a good idea have no idea how to stream these games for free and hence think everyone who watches it are paying for it .......

Watching games live is a thousand times better than watching it on a computer screen. If it comes in we'll be back to the hardcore and the 3k "fair-weather" folk who are now attending games will choose the simple option of watching at home or indeed wherever they might be.

It's shocking to me that so many of you think it is a good idea, I'll soon be sat on my own in the Mill, Face Timing my lads telling them how things used to be, the songs we used to sing, the abuse we used to give oppo players and managers, the song about coming on a skateboard we sung to Crawley/Sutton/Harrogate etc, how crap the pies were etc, etc. I want my kids and future grand kids to watch football live, not on a screen, which they use for almost everything else in their lives.

I'm flipping out, its a big fat shitting no from me, but it will happen anyway.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:24 am

Great post Rob. Live, in a crowd, sharing the highs and lows with folk, the 'whole day' thing, the cheering, the jeering.

Or sat in your bedroom on your own with a cup of tea and a HobNob or two staring at a screen :cry:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:30 am

Agree. Terrible idea.

Mid week fixtures I get. Its just not feasible for some fans to get to fgr on a Tuesday
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:54 am

Rob wrote:We saw in lockdown how soul-less football was without fans, now we have people on here who "can't see a downside" to allowing every game to be live streamed, which for anyone with basic IT knowledge, means available for free. I can only guess those who think it is a good idea have no idea how to stream these games for free and hence think everyone who watches it are paying for it .......

Watching games live is a thousand times better than watching it on a computer screen. If it comes in we'll be back to the hardcore and the 3k "fair-weather" folk who are now attending games will choose the simple option of watching at home or indeed wherever they might be.

It's shocking to me that so many of you think it is a good idea, I'll soon be sat on my own in the Mill, Face Timing my lads telling them how things used to be, the songs we used to sing, the abuse we used to give oppo players and managers, the song about coming on a skateboard we sung to Crawley/Sutton/Harrogate etc, how crap the pies were etc, etc. I want my kids and future grand kids to watch football live, not on a screen, which they use for almost everything else in their lives.

I'm flipping out, its a big fat shitting no from me, but it will happen anyway.

I feel exactly the same Rob.

Has any change that has come from the top in football made the 'matchday experience' (God I hate that phrase) better for the average fan?

Beware of Greeks bareing gifts.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:26 am

Agree with Rob - keep the blackout.

In the lower leagues we should be focusing on finding ways to incentivise more people to go to watch games live at the ground, not making it easier for people to decide against it because they can watch it from afar.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:54 am

BH_Stag wrote:Agree with Rob - keep the blackout.

In the lower leagues we should be focusing on finding ways to incentivise more people to go to watch games live at the ground, not making it easier for people to decide against it because they can watch it from afar.

At £10 a game you would be incentivising local people to watch games from the sofa as well.

Terrible idea!
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:19 am

Personally, I think it is a good idea.

It's OK saying the atmosphere and "match day experience" would suffer etc but there would still be thousands attending the game but for those who cannot attend, don't now and never will for many, many different reasons it would be a godsend. They would be contributing to the club and garnering interest throughout the community rather just in the few thousand who attend matches.

As someone has already said, how many listen for free now or buy ifollow audio passes that may, if they had the opportunity buy a £10 or whatevet video pass?

I think the attitude of some is totally selfish, saying it will spoil the "experience" it for me etc.

My view, my right to say before the regular know it alls come the high and mighty.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:41 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:

At £10 a game you would be incentivising local people to watch games from the sofa as well.

Terrible idea!

Thats why it'd mean a increase in the cost of ifollow.

Right now it is not impossible for fans to watch every game for less than £10 on a Saturday 3pm. It's €11 a game. (at exchange rate at the time of post is £9.25). You can but a month pass for €30 (£25.24). You can also pay for the year and get every game home and away for a certain amount (I can't see it at time of posting, but a Google search says the equivalent of £140.... For 46 games.)

I highly doubt that the prices will stay the same if the blackout is lifted.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:44 am

There’s nothing worse than sitting next to a boozed up fan who comes late and constantly wants to go to the toilet. Who bellows down your ears about any subject that only he can see fault with then constantly stands up and flings his arms wide whilst looking away from the pitch and wanting to fight the world. I refer to them as male as very few women display this type of behaviour. They no doubt consider this to be the full match day experience and can’t see why they are spoiling things for people who just want to watch the match.

Don’t get me wrong, I also sometimes shout at the ref/opposition but hope I do it in a manner which does not spoil the view/experience for others. Although I’m at the wrong end of my 60’s I still feel fit enough to attend and enjoy but am thankful I don’t have to prove my macho image like some who are clearly past it and should retire gracefully.

It is each to their own but I attend to watch a football match and support my team. The last thing I want is a boozey boys day out and if streaming diminishes that experience then please bring it on.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:10 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:There’s nothing worse than sitting next to a boozed up fan who comes late and constantly wants to go to the toilet. Who bellows down your ears about any subject that only he can see fault with then constantly stands up and flings his arms wide whilst looking away from the pitch and wanting to fight the world. I refer to them as male as very few women display this type of behaviour. They no doubt consider this to be the full match day experience and can’t see why they are spoiling things for people who just want to watch the match.

Don’t get me wrong, I also sometimes shout at the ref/opposition but hope I do it in a manner which does not spoil the view/experience for others. Although I’m at the wrong end of my 60’s I still feel fit enough to attend and enjoy but am thankful I don’t have to prove my macho image like some who are clearly past it and should retire gracefully.

It is each to their own but I attend to watch a football match and support my team. The last thing I want is a boozey boys day out and if streaming diminishes that experience then please bring it on.

Don’t see any correlation here whatsoever in my opinion.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:46 am

The damage could be immense. Look at last season tge number of match passes v the average home attendance this season.

This season, 3-4 times as many people turnex up to the ground as bought passes last season & a match pass was less than half the price of a match ticket.

To be financislly net zero for clubs at our level, they'd need to price a matchday iFollow pass at around £75.

The other risk to clubs is that if a Cash League game is kicking off at 3pm on Sky that will take casual support away from small struggling clubs especially in the bleak mid winter.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:06 am

Sneag wrote:The damage could be immense. Look at last season tge number of match passes v the average home attendance this season.

This season, 3-4 times as many people turnex up to the ground as bought passes last season & a match pass was less than half the price of a match ticket.

To be financislly net zero for clubs at our level, they'd need to price a matchday iFollow pass at around £75.

The other risk to clubs is that if a Cash League game is kicking off at 3pm on Sky that will take casual support away from small struggling clubs especially in the bleak mid winter.

But doesn’t that support the theory that it won’t damage attendances if more turn up to the actual game? If you are suggesting there were lots streaming without paying, surely they could do that now. By turning up it suggests people will still want to attend home matches no matter what. I concede it will probably hit fan numbers travelling to away games more but the club doesn’t get revenue from those anyway.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:27 am

Sneag wrote:The damage could be immense. Look at last season tge number of match passes v the average home attendance this season.

Pretty certain the Prem are behind this as a way to justify showing Prem games live on TV at 3pm on Sat. They don't give a flying fig about clubs like ours. I get is suits some peoples personal circumstances but even the ifollow experience will be poor when all you see is thousands of empty seats and zero atmosphere.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:37 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

But doesn’t that support the theory that it won’t damage attendances if more turn up to the actual game? If you are suggesting there were lots streaming without paying, surely they could do that now. By turning up it suggests people will still want to attend home matches no matter what. I concede it will probably hit fan numbers travelling to away games more but the club doesn’t get revenue from those anyway.

No of course it doesn't. At the moment, except on international breaks you can't stream a game at 3pm on a Saturday.

The reason we get 4 times the number in for a live game than streaming is simple, a house full of Stags fans only has to stream the game to one device.

This season I think has benefitted from everyone having 18 months away from watching games live, so there was an eagerness to get back to watching games live. That novelty will start to wear off, if iFollow charge £10 for stream v £24 for a live game that will tempt people away. If you are an away fan, spending £10 & having some mates round with a few cans might start to look very attractive compared to spending north of £50 to do an old school away day.

Football like all leisure businesses is going to be adversely affected by the hikes in prices of life's essentials. For the EFL to introduce something that effectively undercuts the business model of its members seems bonkers to me.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:55 am

BH_Stag wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:There’s nothing worse than sitting next to a boozed up fan who comes late and constantly wants to go to the toilet. Who bellows down your ears about any subject that only he can see fault with then constantly stands up and flings his arms wide whilst looking away from the pitch and wanting to fight the world. I refer to them as male as very few women display this type of behaviour. They no doubt consider this to be the full match day experience and can’t see why they are spoiling things for people who just want to watch the match.

Typical nonsense post from Sandy
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:57 am

gazza1988 wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

Terrible idea!

Thats why it'd mean a increase in the cost of ifollow.

Right now it is not impossible for fans to watch every game for less than £10 on a Saturday 3pm. It's €11 a game. (at exchange rate at the time of post is £9.25). You can but a month pass for €30 (£25.24). You can also pay for the year and get every game home and away for a certain amount (I can't see it at time of posting, but a Google search says the equivalent of £140.... For 46 games.)

I highly doubt that the prices will stay the same if the blackout is lifted.

They would have to match the prices of actually attending if the blackout is lifted IMO.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:01 pm

But you can stream on a Saturday if you do it on an illegal stream.

That tells me that attending the ground is still more popular and groups don’t watch in sheds etc. If they just wanted to save money, they could do that now.

I think the ones who are less likely to attend will be the ones who go purely to watch the match not the ones who go for a drink with their mates.

If they are going to broadcast live, they will need more than one camera and a more professional set up and editing or it won’t attract enough to make a big difference to crowd numbers.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:03 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Typical nonsense post from Sandy

You obviously have no ability to see others perspective. Perhaps you are one of those I describe.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:16 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:But you can stream on a Saturday if you do it on an illegal stream.

That tells me that attending the ground is still more popular and groups don’t watch in sheds etc. If they just wanted to save money, they could do that now.

I think the ones who are less likely to attend will be the ones who go purely to watch the match not the ones who go for a drink with their mates.

If they are going to broadcast live, they will need more than one camera and a more professional set up and editing or it won’t attract enough to make a big difference to crowd numbers.

People viewing through illegal streams do not give a raspberries about the clubs they purport to support.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:28 pm

Spiritater wrote:Great post Rob. Live, in a crowd, sharing the highs and lows with folk, the 'whole day' thing, the cheering, the jeering.

Or sat in your bedroom on your own with a cup of tea and a HobNob or two staring at a screen :cry:

I don't think that the proposal is to shut the stadium and force everyone to watch on a phone.

As you say, the stadium experience is a big draw, and despite matches already being available via streaming (apart from Saturday afternoon), there seems to be no negative effect on crowd numbers.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum