{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby adamstag » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:27 pm

Whereas it would suit a few, i can’t help think removing the 3pm blackout would be another death knell for lower league clubs.

what benefit does mansfield get out of it? sod all

Don’t fix something which ain’t broke.

Bad idea to me.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:41 pm

Elkesley Stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
oldweststander wrote:How about just making the facility available for away games, if that is possible.

Would help the net zero agenda a bit.

it isn't practical. Home fans who want to buy a match pass could just get it from the away club.

Register and name the club you support, get a membership number with the club code ,for example NG18 5DA , enter your code and pay your money for away games. If they are playing at home then you would be blocked. Easy enough to see if someone registers for more than one club .

I guarantee I could get round that very easily using only my main gmail email address.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:34 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:under discussion at the EFL AGM on Friday

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/engl ... gm-1591760
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/ ... er-7088330

pitch invasions under discussion at the EFL Board on Wednesday

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/s ... invasions/

no news on this so far
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:06 pm

Good interview with Mark Palios on Radio 4 this morning

At 26 mins

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00181lg
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Suttonian » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:15 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Elkesley Stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
oldweststander wrote:How about just making the facility available for away games, if that is possible.

Would help the net zero agenda a bit.

it isn't practical. Home fans who want to buy a match pass could just get it from the away club.

Register and name the club you support, get a membership number with the club code ,for example NG18 5DA , enter your code and pay your money for away games. If they are playing at home then you would be blocked. Easy enough to see if someone registers for more than one club .

I guarantee I could get round that very easily using only my main gmail email address.

Like when you can't make the game and log in from Germany?
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:51 pm

Exactly. But if need to be in the UK the vpn I use has more than enough servers in the UK for a different ip address each away game on Saturday 3pm. Not difficult to make up an address. I used the same card with UK address. Anyone asks its paid for as a birthday gift from a relative who lives in the UK. The Gmail trick gives you many variants all leading to one account.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:28 pm

was not discussed, I'm not sure why.

However just to clarify, this would have been only from 2024 anyway.

Some minor alterations agreed apparently for this season: around the period of the World Cup (18 Nov-21 Dec), games available on iFollow for UK users. Otherwise expect things to be similar to last season.

Do have a listen to this if you're interested in the topic:
Martin Shaw wrote:Good interview with Mark Palios on Radio 4 this morning

At 26 mins

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00181lg
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:02 pm

Very good news for the future of lower league football. Palios is spot on and for once the EFL have done the right thing, albeit by doing nothing.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 pm

It would be interesting to see an analysis of how the match coverage last season affected our attendances. Were Tuesday night games badly affected, bearing in mind that it was fairly easy to watch from home? My opinion is that it tends to be more than compensated for by people watching who would rarely actually visit a football ground, but I'm only guessing.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:09 am

Bradders wrote:It would be interesting to see an analysis of how the match coverage last season affected our attendances. Were Tuesday night games badly affected, bearing in mind that it was fairly easy to watch from home? My opinion is that it tends to be more than compensated for by people watching who would rarely actually visit a football ground, but I'm only guessing.

That's not what this is about Bradders, as Palios points out. The issue isn't about small gains right now, which there may well be. Saturday afternoons must remain sacrosanct and whilst of course folk can illegally stream Sat afternoon Prem games, most people don't. I have absolutely no problem with midweek away games being made available (maybe to proven "members"), I'm undecided about home midweek games to be honest.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:17 pm

Rob wrote:
Bradders wrote:It would be interesting to see an analysis of how the match coverage last season affected our attendances. Were Tuesday night games badly affected, bearing in mind that it was fairly easy to watch from home? My opinion is that it tends to be more than compensated for by people watching who would rarely actually visit a football ground, but I'm only guessing.

That's not what this is about Bradders, as Palios points out. The issue isn't about small gains right now, which there may well be. Saturday afternoons must remain sacrosanct and whilst of course folk can illegally stream Sat afternoon Prem games, most people don't. I have absolutely no problem with midweek away games being made available (maybe to proven "members"), I'm undecided about home midweek games to be honest.

Fair enough, but bear in mind that there are hordes of football fans who were regular visitors to their club on a Saturday afternoon and are now no longer able to make the trip. It seems irrational that they are denied access to a live stream, despite it being streamed for the public and despite being willing to pay, and despite the club receiving a cut.
Almost all Stagsnet contributors will be in this position sooner or later!
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:54 am

Saw someone say that the new U21s rule may see more younger players and reserves available for loan this season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:03 am

Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:

Fair enough, but bear in mind that there are hordes of football fans who were regular visitors to their club on a Saturday afternoon and are now no longer able to make the trip. It seems irrational that they are denied access to a live stream, despite it being streamed for the public and despite being willing to pay, and despite the club receiving a cut.

That is my argument too but the football finance experts on Stagsnet disagree.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:21 am

oldweststander wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:

A lot of Football fans don't live near their hometown club, I think if you can prove your address you should have access to a code to watch the game for the price of an average ticket.

I think the £10 fee is quite low.. good for the fan but how much does the club get? although anything extra is a plus if the distant fans only other option is twitter updates
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:47 am

Sedgwick wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:

A lot of Football fans don't live near their hometown club, I think if you can prove your address you should have access to a code to watch the game for the price of an average ticket.

I think the £10 fee is quite low.. good for the fan but how much does the club get? although anything extra is a plus if the distant fans only other option is twitter updates

£8, it had been stated, for the home club up to 500, passes sold, then the away side gets a cut because many subscribers may be away supporters if the number exceeds 500.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:17 am

oldweststander wrote:£8, it had been stated, for the home club up to 500, passes sold, then the away side gets a cut because many subscribers may be away supporters if the number exceeds 500.

I think this was during the Covid year only. Ordinarily the £8 goes to the club selling the pass.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:44 am

Thanks Martin.

Maybe the cost could be adjusted slightly upward but £8 income from someone who would not have attended, live, isn't bad. Money out of the blue so to speak.

On a different topic, any opinions on EFL moving to ITV?

Thought Quest did a fair job.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:57 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:

And most EFL Chairmen, who also disagree with you, hence it wasn't even discussed.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:19 pm

oldweststander wrote:Thanks Martin.

Maybe the cost could be adjusted slightly upward but £8 income from someone who would not have attended, live, isn't bad. Money out of the blue so to speak.

On a different topic, any opinions on EFL moving to ITV?

Thought Quest did a fair job.

Quest show was well produced and well presented.... However its a long show, well feels it and I think it would benefit having two separate shows for each division and just stream it/ put it out online. I think often the guests don't know enough about teams in league one/ two
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:05 pm

Rob wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:

And most EFL Chairmen, who also disagree with you, hence it wasn't even discussed.

Our crowds are the largest they have been in decades, and some want to give the option of ten mates in a shed bar paying a tenner between them instead of a minimum £14 each (season ticket), plus a pint or two, a pie, something from the club shop and so on. So we want to give up the circa £20 each for £1 a man.

Sounds like financial suicide to me.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:17 pm

It’s exactly that.

Itd be like a turkey voting for christmas, it would be a terrible idea.

Of course it’s unfortunate for those who aren’t close or maybe not able to get but that’s just life.

If i were a chairman and this was put to me i’d burst out laughing and wave you out the door.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:39 pm

adamstag wrote:It’s exactly that.

Of course it’s unfortunate for those who aren’t close or maybe not able to get but that’s just life.

If i were a chairman and this was put to me i’d burst out laughing and wave you out the door.

I think having read the arguments... it makes sense to keep it for midweek games and the international break. I think the one offs/ every now and then fixtures don't disturb the attendances but if it was regular it would, I could totally see people going round the sit in their mates garden to watch it for £10.

Agree its unfortunate for those not close, but I don't think our fan base is big enough to really benefit having the choice to stream, makes sense if you're a global team.

I know a fair few like myself who definitely wont be going to every home game but have bought a season ticket anyway
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:05 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
adamstag wrote:It’s exactly that.

I think having read the arguments... it makes sense to keep it for midweek games and the international break. I think the one offs/ every now and then fixtures don't disturb the attendances but if it was regular it would, I could totally see people going round the sit in their mates garden to watch it for £10.

Agree its unfortunate for those not close, but I don't think our fan base is big enough to really benefit having the choice to stream, makes sense if you're a global team.

I know a fair few like myself who definitely wont be going to every home game but have bought a season ticket anyway

The other issue for me is that once the EFL allow live games on Saturdays at 3pm, the Premier League will follow suit. They don't give a toss about the pyramid and small clubs. This means that not only do you have the scenario BY describes, but an added attraction that may sway the fair weather fans we need to attract to stay home. I know some are looking at it from their own perspective, my Dad is one of those unable to get to games so does watch ifollow, but this would genuinely jeopardise the future of lower league football as we know it. I'm still undecided about midweek games too, but of course there has never been a restriction on showing them live.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:14 pm

i’m all for keeping it during midweek, especially as the league tends to give you the trips far away - i’m fully behind that.

Just not on a safurday
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:40 am

They're scrapping the black out for the World Cup, but keeping the 3pm blackout in place outside of that
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum