{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report - Tranmere 12 Mar 2022

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report - Tranmere 12 Mar 2022

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:58 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:08 pm

what did you think to the ref Martin? Maybe us stags there were biased but I thought he was shocking
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:31 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:what did you think to the ref Martin? Maybe us stags there were biased but I thought he was shocking

more of a problem with the linesman!
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:40 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:what did you think to the ref Martin? Maybe us stags there were biased but I thought he was shocking

more of a problem with the linesman!

Was hard to tell from where we were stood, but on the highlights I thought the 3rd was offside but the second wasn't but hey ho. We've had some decisions and luck go in our favour for quite a while so it feels like we were due some bad decisions
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:44 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Was hard to tell from where we were stood, but on the highlights I thought the 3rd was offside but the second wasn't but hey ho. We've had some decisions and luck go in our favour for quite a while so it feels like we were due some bad decisions

the second goal was a yard offside

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby grufti » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:47 pm

I said the 2nd was offside in real time, no-one else seemed to notice
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:09 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Was hard to tell from where we were stood, but on the highlights I thought the 3rd was offside but the second wasn't but hey ho. We've had some decisions and luck go in our favour for quite a while so it feels like we were due some bad decisions

Unreal how they've missed that
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:11 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Doesn’t the fact Perch played the ball change things?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:26 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

No
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:43 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

No

The way I read the rules it does. Perch deliberately played the ball, the offside player received the ball from an opponent deliberately playing the ball.

I could be wrong but that’s the way it reads to me.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:51 pm

They always flag when ball is saved by a keeper and rebounds to forward who puts it in.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:58 pm

part time pete wrote:They always flag when ball is saved by a keeper and rebounds to forward who puts it in.

It’s different if it’s a deliberate save by an opponent.

I’ve watched a few similar clips and read a few articles and I’m convinced the goal was allowed to stand correctly. Simply standing offside is not an offence unless your interfering with play by touching the ball or interfering with an opponent.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:26 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
part time pete wrote:They always flag when ball is saved by a keeper and rebounds to forward who puts it in.

It’s different if it’s a deliberate save by an opponent.

I’ve watched a few similar clips and read a few articles and I’m convinced the goal was allowed to stand correctly. Simply standing offside is not an offence unless your interfering with play by touching the ball or interfering with an opponent.

you are right Sam. Thanks for pointing it out.

I knew I'd seen a Sky video on this sort of incident, but the analysis is the opposite of what I thought.

My update:
UPDATE: I’ve changed my mind on this. Whilst Nevitt was standing in an offside position, he is technically not offside because Perch stretched to block the pass and didn't get enough on it to stop it.
There is a similar incident here analysed by Dermot Gallagher which stands as a goal.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:18 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Unreal how they've missed that

You can't tell from that still whether he was offside or not. It's impossible to see how far the ball has travelled from the passing player's foot, or indeed whether it's an inch before being struck or an inch after. It's blurred, on the wrong side, and too far away to see the precise detail.

That fraction of a second is possibly enough for the running Rawson to put the static Tranmere player level or onside. We get the same problem with VAR, where part of the shoulder of the striker is an inch onside in one frame, an inch offside in the next, but you can't see exactly when the ball has wholly left the passing player's boot. Yet somehow an offside decision is made.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:26 pm

Bradders wrote:You can't tell from that still whether he was offside or not. It's impossible to see how far the ball has travelled from the passing player's foot, or indeed whether it's an inch before being struck or an inch after. It's blurred, on the wrong side, and too far away to see the precise detail.

That fraction of a second is possibly enough for the running Rawson to put the static Tranmere player level or onside. We get the same problem with VAR, where part of the shoulder of the striker is an inch onside in one frame, an inch offside in the next, but you can't see exactly when the ball has wholly left the passing player's boot. Yet somehow an offside decision is made.

to be clear, I've frozen the photo on the exact frame when the ball is played, otherwise it would be a nonsense to post the photo. So he is standing in an offside position, there is no doubt about that.

However, that is rendered irrelevant, if you watch the Dermot Gallagher analysis of a similar incident above.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:36 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Upper West » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:02 pm

The way I read the rules it does. Perch deliberately played the ball, the offside player received the ball from an opponent deliberately playing the ball.

I think that is correct

Many will remember the Christie goal at Meadow Lane when he was at least 25 yards offside when the ball was played forward but as the ball was then miskicked by a County player he was not offside
Upper West
First Team
First Team

Postby Upper West » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:18 am

There was another example in the ManU - Spurs game.

The cross which led to Spurs 2nd goal was aimed towards Romero who was a yard offside. Fortunately for Spurs Maguire got to the ball first and scored and put it in his own net.
Upper West
First Team
First Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum