{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Got the t-shirt

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Got the t-shirt

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:14 pm

At this key stage of the season and with us sitting where we are, it's brilliant to have so many experienced players in the squad. A lot of them are what's traditionally thought of as "getting on a bit" but fitness levels are excellent and how many of them have been promoted from League 2 before? Credit to Clough and the recruitment team for getting the right kind of experience in.

Players who have been promoted from League 2 before...

Stech (Luton)
Macca (Southend)
Faz (Accrington)
JJ (Northampton)
Ollie Clarke (Bristol Rovers)
Quinn (part of MK Dons 2006 promotion season)
Bowery (Chesterfield)
Aikins (Burton)

Pretty much all the other players, barring academy products, have played at a higher level with some winning promotions from L1 to Champ or even Champ to Prem. Add to that, a management team who has also done it all before and this gives me great optimism that we are in good hands for the run-in.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Re: Got the t-shirt

Postby Phill » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:56 pm

Just doing a quick wiki on a couple of the players...I forgot the Quinn was mid thirties....he certainly doesn't play like he us getting on a bit :lol:

Anyway found the following which I found interesting, so thought I would share!!

Who was Brian Clough's first signing at Forest......

Yep thats right Jordan's DAD!!

https://web.archive.org/web/20141218180 ... story.html
Phill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bear 73 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:29 pm

A nice read about Bowery senior thanks for sharing
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:40 pm

Stephen McLaughlin, Farrend Rawson, Ollie Clarke and Jordan Bowery were all recruited by Graham Coughlin along with George Maris, George Lapslie, Harry Charsley and James Perch.

I've left out Marek Stech because he has not played.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:51 pm

Yeah sure, but Clough has had 3 windows now and is keeping and releasing the players he wants or doesn't. I should have said "squad building" rather than "recruiting", but credit to Coughlan too then.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:41 pm

Clough has stated this is not his squad but a Mansfield squad and stated that Graham Coughlin had put a lot of hard work in but in football it does not always work out
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:54 pm

Phill wrote:Just doing a quick wiki on a couple of the players...I forgot the Quinn was mid thirties....he certainly doesn't play like he us getting on a bit :lol:

Anyway found the following which I found interesting, so thought I would share!!

Who was Brian Clough's first signing at Forest......

Yep thats right Jordan's DAD!!

https://web.archive.org/web/20141218180 ... story.html
I went to the Forest v Peterborough FA cup 3rd round game in Jan 1976. My dad went to the City Ground to get tickets a few weeks earlier and Cloughie was mulling around with a young Bert Bowery who he had just signed. He told my dad that Bert was going to be the next big deal. Bert played in the cup game but did not last long at Forest. I always remembered the name for years so its is amazing their sons have come together at the Stags.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:03 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Stephen McLaughlin, Farrend Rawson, Ollie Clarke and Jordan Bowery were all recruited by Graham Coughlin along with George Maris, George Lapslie, Harry Charsley and James Perch.

I've left out Marek Stech because he has not played.

Reminds me of when we went from Murray to Evans. Murray signed some great players for the stags but sadly couldn't cut the mustard in management, although it was his first job. Evans came in and did much better with those players.

Coughlan has signed some good players too, but couldn't get a tune out of them for whatever reason. Cloughie is working magic right now with some of them with some additions.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:40 pm

The problem is that you only need one or two weak links in a team and you can have half a dozen really good players but the results don't come.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:35 pm

part time pete wrote:The problem is that you only need one or two weak links in a team and you can have half a dozen really good players but the results don't come.

Yes that's correct. The team that got relegated out of the football league had several decent players, but some weak links as well.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:11 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
part time pete wrote:The problem is that you only need one or two weak links in a team and you can have half a dozen really good players but the results don't come.

Yes that's correct. The team that got relegated out of the football league had several decent players, but some weak links as well.

Mainly Haslam.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum