{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Out of contract players

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Out of contract players

Postby smulls » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:44 pm

Do you think that players, who will be out of contract this Summer, deserve to be renewed or released?
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Out of contract players

Postby MTFC Man » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:38 pm

I think it highly depends on if we get promoted or not. Which players contracts do expire in the summer?
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:57 pm

Deserve yes. All the squad do for league 2

League 1 some difficult decisions to be made
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:24 pm

Most players contracts are up at season's end.

Stech
Jamie Clarke
Macca
Ollie Clarke
Maris
Quinn
Rawson
Ward
Perch
Knowles
Charsley
Burke
Bowery

Then all the loans return to their clubs.

I may have missed some?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:29 pm

I think you're spot on. The list of players contracted beyond the summer is incredibly short.

Elliott Hewitt
John Joe O'Toole
George Lapslie
Lucas Akins
Oli Hawkins
Danny Johnson
Rhys Oates
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:39 pm

oldweststander wrote:Most players contracts are up at season's end.

Stech
Jamie Clarke
Macca
Ollie Clarke
Maris
Quinn
Rawson
Ward
Perch
Knowles
Charsley
Burke
Bowery

I may have missed some?

Macca and Maris are easily League 1 quality, I'd give them a 2 year deal right now. I'd also offer a deal to Bowery and Faz. Quinn is up to him really and I think Charsley is one I'd keep if we remain in League 2.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:15 pm

Stech
Jamie Clarke
Macca
Ollie Clarke
Maris
Quinn
Rawson
Ward
Perch
Knowles
Charsley
Burke
Bowery

I may have missed some?

It'll be interesting to see what happens with perch.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:20 pm

The players who could leave in this transfer window or the end of the season are:

Marek Stech (Transfer Listed)
Kellan Gordon (injured)
James Perch (injured)
Corey O'Keeffe (Siberia)
Ryan Burke (not good enough on what we have seen to date)
Harry Charsley (leaves/loaned out for more first team football?)
Jason Law (leaves/loaned out for more first team football?)
Tyrese Sinclair (loan move)

Wild Cards
Ollie Clarke (move back closer to South West?)
Danny Johnson (attracts bid from League 2 club who offer regular first team football)

Youngsters
Ethan Hill (injured)
Jimmy Knowles (injured)
James Clarke (on loan at Solihull Moors) (May receive offer from National League/League 2 club)
Keaton Ward (on loan at AFC Telford) (May receive offer from National League club)
Jaden Charles (on loan at Nuneaton) (May receive offer from National League club)
Josh Scott (on loan at Frickley Athletic)

I would have had Jordan Bowery on my list after Exeter City away but his form has improved tremendously and I think Nigel Clough likes his versatility.

We also know that Nigel Clough will give young players another year if he is not sure about them.

Things can change very quickly in football though.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:15 pm

I’d expect all the players to be offered a contracts
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:37 pm

I honestly can't see him keeping Bowery. He's in good form right now, scoring 3 and assisting 2 in his last 5 games. But his previous 15 games he got one goal and 2 assists. His total stats are 26 games 4 goals and 4 assists (all stats taken from transfermarkt website)

We've already got Oates, Hawkins, Akins and Johnson under contract for next season. We have players who work harder (oates) more versatile (Akins) aerial threat(Hawkins) more of a goal threat both goals and assists(Johnson - 20 games 7 goals and 4 assists (7 of those games minutes wise total 90 minutes across them), Oates 28 games 7 goals and 3 assists, Hawkins - 26 games 6 goals and 1 assist most as a CB (transfermarkt let you filter as cf - 10 games 4 goals and 1 assist) for Akins ill use his data at Burton - 23 games 3 goals and 3 assists {4 games and 0 goals and assists as a cf))

Hes been great in the last 5 games he's played (ignore FGR) scoring 3 and assisting 2, the previous 20 is 1 goal and 2 assists. Is performing for December-January each season enough? He might surprise us and the signing of Akins and the need for a new contract for himself could see some good performances for the rest of the season. Unfortunately for him he's 5th choice up front for me, 3rd choice on the left (Quinn and Akins are ahead of him) . He's surplus to requirements right now. We sign a CB or 2 (or Nartey gets on the pitch and stays relatively injury free) then Hawkins, Oates, Johnson and Akins are all better players.

I know I'll need the tin hat on for daring to suggest that. Yes I see what he brings to the side but we have players capable of better in my opinion. It's indicative of how good a strike force Clough has put together. We just need a defence to match and we will be well away.

Can see some of the fringe players leaving. Ward, Charsley, James Clarke, Stech. We've way too many midfielders so could see Ollie Clarke leave too.

There's still plenty of football to go yet though. Another week or so of the transfer window left, anything can happen. Plus there's still 21 games to go. Plenty of time for players to gain form and lose form or even pick up injuries (although I feel we've had more than our fair share of those!)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:19 am

Rob wrote:

Stech
Jamie Clarke
Macca
Ollie Clarke
Maris
Quinn
Rawson
Ward
Perch
Knowles
Charsley
Burke
Bowery

I may have missed some?

Macca and Maris are easily League 1 quality, I'd give them a 2 year deal right now. I'd also offer a deal to Bowery and Faz. Quinn is up to him really and I think Charsley is one I'd keep if we remain in League 2.

I agree with that Rob :mtfc:
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:21 am

gazza1988 wrote:I honestly can't see him keeping Bowery. He's in good form right now, scoring 3 and assisting 2 in his last 5 games. But his previous 15 games he got one goal and 2 assists. His total stats are 26 games 4 goals and 4 assists (all stats taken from transfermarkt website)

We've already got Oates, Hawkins, Akins and Johnson under contract for next season. We have players who work harder (oates) more versatile (Akins) aerial threat(Hawkins) more of a goal threat both goals and assists(Johnson - 20 games 7 goals and 4 assists (7 of those games minutes wise total 90 minutes across them), Oates 28 games 7 goals and 3 assists, Hawkins - 26 games 6 goals and 1 assist most as a CB (transfermarkt let you filter as cf - 10 games 4 goals and 1 assist) for Akins ill use his data at Burton - 23 games 3 goals and 3 assists {4 games and 0 goals and assists as a cf))

Hes been great in the last 5 games he's played (ignore FGR) scoring 3 and assisting 2, the previous 20 is 1 goal and 2 assists. Is performing for December-January each season enough? He might surprise us and the signing of Akins and the need for a new contract for himself could see some good performances for the rest of the season. Unfortunately for him he's 5th choice up front for me, 3rd choice on the left (Quinn and Akins are ahead of him) . He's surplus to requirements right now. We sign a CB or 2 (or Nartey gets on the pitch and stays relatively injury free) then Hawkins, Oates, Johnson and Akins are all better players.

I know I'll need the tin hat on for daring to suggest that. Yes I see what he brings to the side but we have players capable of better in my opinion. It's indicative of how good a strike force Clough has put together. We just need a defence to match and we will be well away.

Can see some of the fringe players leaving. Ward, Charsley, James Clarke, Stech. We've way too many midfielders so could see Ollie Clarke leave too.

There's still plenty of football to go yet though. Another week or so of the transfer window left, anything can happen. Plus there's still 21 games to go. Plenty of time for players to gain form and lose form or even pick up injuries (although I feel we've had more than our fair share of those!)

your comments on Bowery are very harsh. He was arguably out star perfomer last season... He know he isnt a clinical player but what he offers the team goes much much deeper than goals. At one point against Barrow, he managed to chase back from the Half way line and get a block in on our goal line (wide of the goal but you know what i mean). He has the abilty to get the ball down, play and make that space for out midfielders.

2nd name on team sheet for me, after Oates.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:31 am

No retained goalkeeper on list. Do we go for another loan or do we sign an experienced keeper ?
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:35 am

yellowstagsfan wrote:No retained goalkeeper on list. Do we go for another loan or do we sign an experienced keeper ?

Not sure we can answer that until we know what division we will be playing in.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:57 am

Cockney Stag wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:No retained goalkeeper on list. Do we go for another loan or do we sign an experienced keeper ?

If we go up, we've got to be in with a shout of getting Bish again on loan.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:00 am

gazza1988 wrote:I honestly can't see him keeping Bowery. He's in good form right now, scoring 3 and assisting 2 in his last 5 games. But his previous 15 games he got one goal and 2 assists. His total stats are 26 games 4 goals and 4 assists (all stats taken from transfermarkt website)

Ridiculous. Bowery offers so much more than goals and assists. For a start, you're judging him on the merits of a striker and we all know he plays in multiple positions, which is something Clough values.

Even as a forward, he's been excellent at holding up and linking up. Out wide, he's looked dangerous every time he's gone forward. He's keeping DJ out the team too! I think Clough really likes him and so do it. Can see him getting a 1 year deal.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:22 am

Yeah I know what extra he brings to the team. However I think Akins will offer that and more. So where is bowery in this?

Yes I'm judging his as a forward, that's the space he's occupied the most. He's in red hot form in the last 5 games but still doesn't hide the fact that as a forward his direct goal and assist record is not the greatest.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:25 am

ParisStag wrote:
Cockney Stag wrote:

If we go up, we've got to be in with a shout of getting Bish again on loan.

Definitely. He has no hope at United. That's not a knock on him, but he's so far down the pecking order and United would ideally want him to take a step up next season.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:29 am

gazza1988 wrote:Yeah I know what extra he brings to the team. However I think Akins will offer that and more. So where is bowery in this?

Yes I'm judging his as a forward, that's the space he's occupied the most. He's in red hot form in the last 5 games but still doesn't hide the fact that as a forward his direct goal and assist record is not the greatest.

I have defended Bowery endlessly on this forum and think he adds so much but if Akins and another striker come into the club this window then it appears that his role will be that of the ultimate utility player. As long as he is happy to accept this then I would see him being kept (certainly if we are not promoted).
Clough appears to show loyalty to those who can do a job for him and in a smaller squad he would be very useful as long as being out of the team does not affect his confidence to the extent that he loses the qualities he has shown over the last 6 weeks.
Bluntly, he was down at the bottom of both Martin and Eggy's ratings by the halfway period which indicates that it is only to consider whether he would get another contract
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:34 am

gazza1988 wrote:Yeah I know what extra he brings to the team. However I think Akins will offer that and more. So where is bowery in this?

I also see Akins as a direct threat to Bowery’s place in the team. Clough hasn’t been chasing him for a year to sit him on the bench.

In respect of Bowery himself, I agree he is in red hot form at the moment. We also saw that last year only for him to fall back and put in some abysmal performances. Jordan is a confidence player and his confidence is high at the moment. His header on Saturday was first class but we’ve seen other efforts which can only be described as weak. As much as I acknowledge his contribution and worth to the team, he’s not quite consistent enough for me to be considered the first choice on my team sheet. If Akins is anything like the player he’s rumoured to be, I think that role will be his.
Last edited by Sandy Pate Best Stag on Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:34 am

Another thought that I didn't put was, Nathan Caine and Jimmy knowles would have to be evaluated too. If we keep them on we could become top heavy and limited their chances. I've no issue with Bowery being a backup utility player but Clough values players who can do a job and utility but also values value for money. Depending on Bowery's wages he may be earning too much to be that player. I have zero idea what he's paid so it could already be great value. I've no idea.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:07 am

gazza1988 wrote:Another thought that I didn't put was, Nathan Caine and Jimmy knowles would have to be evaluated too. If we keep them on we could become top heavy and limited their chances. I've no issue with Bowery being a backup utility player but Clough values players who can do a job and utility but also values value for money. Depending on Bowery's wages he may be earning too much to be that player. I have zero idea what he's paid so it could already be great value. I've no idea.

Jimmy knowles and Caine are no where near the levels of Bowery. No in the same league. They'll be gone before Bowery
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:34 am

That's why I said evaluate.

Of course they aren't anywhere near Bowery. I wasn't I tendind to imply they were. However if we want them to progress to be our first team players we've got to give them a chance. Assuming Bowery's contract is renewed that's Hawkins, Oates, Johnson, Akins and Bowery as first team forwards. Young lads would never get a game. Maybe a spot on the bench for the efl trophy. Clough likes to have youngsters on the periphery of the first team, playing 2 up front ments they would be 6th and 7th choice. Doesn't lend well to developing players.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:46 am

gazza1988 wrote:That's why I said evaluate.

Of course they aren't anywhere near Bowery. I wasn't I tendind to imply they were. However if we want them to progress to be our first team players we've got to give them a chance. Assuming Bowery's contract is renewed that's Hawkins, Oates, Johnson, Akins and Bowery as first team forwards. Young lads would never get a game. Maybe a spot on the bench for the efl trophy. Clough likes to have youngsters on the periphery of the first team, playing 2 up front ments they would be 6th and 7th choice. Doesn't lend well to developing players.

And that’s not taking James Gale into account.

From what I’ve seen of Gale, I think he is a better prospect than the other two and more likely to be retained.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:38 am

Interesting that they are all around the same age (19 or 20). Gale has looked useful when coming on and the fear is that Jimmy Knowles has gone backwards after an impressive run of sub appearances almost two years ago.
I haven't seen enough of Nathan Caine but I suppose that we are in the lucky position of being able to talk about which player we are going to keep out of a group of young strikers
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum