{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Keaton Ward joins Telford on loan / Ryan Burke joins as well

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Keaton Ward joins Telford on loan / Ryan Burke joins as well

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:02 pm

A great loan move for Keaton Ward to AFC Telford in National League North and a great start with a 5-0 win against Darlington

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Re: Keaton Ward joins AFC Telford on loan

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:05 pm

I like him, He could be a good squad player along with the likes of Law
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:52 pm

I was initially disappointed that he went to National North but I suppose he is still very young.
I agree with you Sedgwick and I do wonder if, now halfway through the season, Law is the highest rated of our young bucks by Clough
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:16 pm

National League North (Step 2) is a very good standard.

The likes of Keaton Ward, George Cooper, Nathan Caine, Josh Scott etc would probably struggle to get regular starts in the National League (Step 1). Nathan Caine and Josh Scott struggled to get regular starts at Nuneaton, Basford and Mickleove in the Southern Central and Northern Premier League (Step 3).

Hopefully Tyrese Sinclair will get a loan with a Step 1 side as long as it is not the Spireites or County. Halifax would be good. Altrincham might be a possibility if he is based or has family in the North West.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:21 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:I was initially disappointed that he went to National North but I suppose he is still very young.
I agree with you Sedgwick and I do wonder if, now halfway through the season, Law is the highest rated of our young bucks by Clough

I think Law is much the better player, if only he had a touch more pace. Ward I'm not so sure about tbh, it's a good loan for him.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:29 pm

It looks very much like our youngsters, who have not looked out of place when they have been given the opportunity, are being pushed away to the periphery. Given the shockingly high age profile of our first team this seems very short-sighted in my opinion. If I were advising these youngsters I would tell them to look at the route Alistair Smith took and do likewise as MTFC doesn`t seem to want to take the time and effort to develop these uoung1uns.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:34 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:Law is the highest rated of our young bucks by Clough

Jason Law is 23 in April so I'm not sure he qualifies as a young buck anymore.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:36 pm

When Ward has played he has, at times, showed real quality. I can't think when it was but I think it was in a defensive midfield role where he surprised me with how mature he looked.
Law, to me, shows more potential than Ali Smith did at this, stage in his career but that could be down to the quality of management
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:37 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

Point taken and he might be a surprise sale at the end of the season for that reason.
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:53 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:When Ward has played he has, at times, showed real quality. I can't think when it was but I think it was in a defensive midfield role where he surprised me with how mature he looked.
Law, to me, shows more potential than Ali Smith did at this, stage in his career but that could be down to the quality of management

As I've said before, for me Smith was by far the best of the young group of players and I agree, to an extent, with what garlic says. If someone like Smith, who had an outstanding loan spell at a top half Conference club can't make it here then those dropping even lower have very little chance. Its a shame in so many ways but the reality is that our 1st team squad is so strong it appears we have no room for them.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:55 pm

No, Keaton Ward does though ;) :lol:
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:31 pm

Has law been here 7 years?

I'm certain we got him when he was 16.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:40 pm

Did I understand NC right from his interview that we have 10 out on loan now and he’s looking to get 15 out?
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:04 pm

garlic wrote:It looks very much like our youngsters, who have not looked out of place when they have been given the opportunity, are being pushed away to the periphery. Given the shockingly high age profile of our first team this seems very short-sighted in my opinion. If I were advising these youngsters I would tell them to look at the route Alistair Smith took and do likewise as MTFC doesn`t seem to want to take the time and effort to develop these uoung1uns.

Absolute nonsense.

Theyre not being pushed away... they're not good enough and need regular football to help their development, this is one of the first times our youth players are getting loans to a good standard rather than being sent to rainworth etc. Nigel has given more minutes to kids than any other manager I can remember and will continue to do so at the right time. Our squad isn't shockingly old either.. League twos best players are often older experienced players and it what the club has missed.

We've got a large squad and most of the squad are young players, few first year pros too, they are taking time and effort with them. Law is steady and is what the club needs. Not every player from the academy has to be sold upwards for millions.

All out on loan getting minutes in mens football (not being forgotten about in the reserves and hardly being pushed out)

Jaden Charles 19
James Clarke 21
Keaton Ward 21
Josh Scott 19
Nathan Caine 19

And we still have Sinclair, Hill, Cooper, Turner, Gale and Mason

Show me another club with 11 kids from their academy involved in the first team? If thats not effort and time then I don't know what is.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:05 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:When Ward has played he has, at times, showed real quality. I can't think when it was but I think it was in a defensive midfield role where he surprised me with how mature he looked.

Cant remember the game but it was when we were struggling, away I think and Keaton came on and really got us playing. Looked decent
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:19 pm

I do not concur Sedgwick, and you are perfectly entitled to view my opinion as absolute nonsense but you really do need more gravitas to support your claim. Firstly you claim they are not good enough, see other contributors remarks if you do not believe my own. Secondly, a youngster needs to be given regular and supportive placement in the first team to allow him to develop his confidence and show just what he is capable of. That has not happened so you nor anyone else can claim they are not good enough. What I fear is happening is a serious bout of short term thinking, buy in experience, push away the young bloods get promoted, and hey what, you go back to JR to beg for more. That to me is a very poor and unsustainable way to run a football club, and it borders on sponging, which i personally find abhorrent.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:35 pm

garlic wrote:I do not concur Sedgwick, and you are perfectly entitled to view my opinion as absolute nonsense but you really do need more gravitas to support your claim. Firstly you claim they are not good enough, see other contributors remarks if you do not believe my own. Secondly, a youngster needs to be given regular and supportive placement in the first team to allow him to develop his confidence and show just what he is capable of. That has not happened so you nor anyone else can claim they are not good enough. What I fear is happening is a serious bout of short term thinking, buy in experience, push away the young bloods get promoted, and hey what, you go back to JR to beg for more. That to me is a very poor and unsustainable way to run a football club, and it borders on sponging, which i personally find abhorrent.

What in earth are you talking about? Some of these kids are in the first year with us and you want them in the first team immediately, it takes time, youve literally said they aren't taking time with them?? They won't improve just training with the older pros.. They need to be out on loan getting football which they are. How on earth is that short sighted??? Of course they're not good enough yet, do you watch them in training like the management? No. If they were good enough, which would be remarkable after playing next to zero minutes in men's football then they're be involved just like Law who has taken his chances in games and shone in training.

You find having a youth academy, that promotes players in large numbers into the pro game and then finds them clubs to get games at abhorrent? What a brilliant comment.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:55 pm

garlic wrote:I do not concur Sedgwick, and you are perfectly entitled to view my opinion as absolute nonsense but you really do need more gravitas to support your claim. Firstly you claim they are not good enough, see other contributors remarks if you do not believe my own. Secondly, a youngster needs to be given regular and supportive placement in the first team to allow him to develop his confidence and show just what he is capable of. That has not happened so you nor anyone else can claim they are not good enough. What I fear is happening is a serious bout of short term thinking, buy in experience, push away the young bloods get promoted, and hey what, you go back to JR to beg for more. That to me is a very poor and unsustainable way to run a football club, and it borders on sponging, which i personally find abhorrent.

I don't think I agree with your assertion here, Garlic.
The club has put in a fantastic structure, is attracting youngsters released from bigger clubs and has a management team who want to invest in young players.
Clough said in the forum that he will try to keep younger players for a season longer than he would an older player. He has also stresses the importance of getting younger players out on loan on meaningful loan spells, which appears to be happening.
I am concerned by the lack of progress this, season by sinclair and, until recently, Law but the fact that they and Gale have been getting games shows Clough will risk youth.
Clough did also say that it takes time for the youth system to work.
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:37 pm

garlic wrote:It looks very much like our youngsters, who have not looked out of place when they have been given the opportunity, are being pushed away to the periphery. Given the shockingly high age profile of our first team this seems very short-sighted in my opinion. If I were advising these youngsters I would tell them to look at the route Alistair Smith took and do likewise as MTFC doesn`t seem to want to take the time and effort to develop these uoung1uns.

Who from the players we have loaned out would you have kept and who in the 18 we announced today would they have replaced?

Not having a go, generally interested because personally I don’t think any of the youngsters we have loaned out are good enough to replace anyone in our 18 today.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:58 am

HU7stag wrote:

No, Keaton Ward does though ;) :lol:

There is a year and 8 days between them with Alistair Smith in between.
They are at the stage of their careers where they have decisions to make. Do they go out on loan at a slightly lower level hoping regular football will improve them enough to break into our first team? Keaton has already been at 4 clubs on loan (from Stags and Barnsley) and Jason 5.
Ali Smith was on his 4th loan when he decided at the age of 21 that he wanted more regular first team football/stability at a lower level. He has developed enough that he is now a regular at Sutton in League 2 but possibly would still not get into the stags starting 11 due to the size and strength of our squad. He may end up playing at League 1 level next season.
Similarly with George Lapslie who dropped a level to get regular football (having also played in the Championship)

It is a hard decision for any footballer to make, particularly if you are playing for your local club.
Keaton clearly has ability otherwise Barnsley wouldn’t have signed him but sometimes it takes more than just that to make it as a professional footballer. It takes dedication, the right decisions and sometimes a bit of luck to fulfil your potential.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby steve-hymas » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:50 pm

It’s interesting to read fans thoughts on our young players and academy .firstly I must say many don’t realise how good our academy is and the work and dedication put in by all the staff with the young players within our system .
Without going through the whole system the one thing we are finding difficult is how to produce a full blown first team player.
We are looking to give our academy lads as much exposure to adult football as possible to bridge that gap and that means going out on loan at the highest step we can .we must understand that the managers at the clubs we loan to are also looking for success within their club too so it proves difficult to guarantee football .
One of our most successful academy players has been Alister Smith now plying his trade at Sutton who are one of our promotion rivals .
While at Mansfield he spent a lot of time on our bench and when he came on many said he wasn’t good enough .Eventually he went permanently to Altrincham where he played regularly and then was sold to Sutton to play in league 2 as I say to a team above us at the moment .
Cloughie by the way is very good with our young players and takes a keen interest in their progress and at this moment in time they are best out on loan getting game time and experience.
steve-hymas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:08 pm

Sedgwick wrote:I like him, He could be a good squad player along with the likes of Law

Personally think he could be more than a squad player. He could play higher than L2 I reckon. He's got a bit of class and does the simple things really well. Also gets about the pitch a lot.

He looks alot better than Alistair Smith did and he's now a mainstay of the team in 3rd after a brilliant season in the Conference last year.

Good luck Keaton.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:44 pm

I agree something about Keaton that's worth investing in
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:47 pm

I think it's great we have all these young players and the likes of James Clarke playing regularly in the National League and Owen Mason, George Cooper and (hopefully) Keaton Ward in National League North. They will improve as football players and if they do well Nigel Clough will probably give them another year.

The big problem for the youngsters is that they have to be good enough to play in a League 2 promotion side and hopefully in League 1 although they could be more attractive to League 2/National League clubs if we do win promotion. They are also competing with young players from the Premier League/Championship such as Ryan Stirk, Nathan Bishop, Will Forrester, Richard Nartey, Ryan Burke etc

We will also have lads coming up from the U18s every year as the next generation comes through e.g. Taylor Anderson, Jack Deakin, Jakub Kruszynski etc. Steve will have a better idea of who is doing well.

I think Owen Mason (17) and George Cooper (19) are probably the two at the moment who you would hope make League 2 level if they are playing in National League North at such young ages. James Gale (19) could be anything and would benefit from a loan move.

Jason Law (22) has pushed his way into the squad and started to play well again. Tyrese Sinclair (20) has been disappointing this season. I was expecting better from him. He needs a loan move. James Clarke (21) is doing the business at National League level and his future may depend upon whether Kellan Gordon can get back to fitness and form.

The loan move for Keaton Ward (21) is excellent for him. He started off this season being played out of position at centre half in the B Team Trophy at Harrogate and did not have a good game. He then did very well back at centre mid against Sheff Wed in the B Team Trophy and did well as a 61st minute sub against Oldham. He probably deserved to start against Northampton. However he came on as a 2nd half sub and was disappointing in probably the Stags' worst performance of the season which was bad luck for him. He then played well against Newcastle U23s. Good luck to him at Telford.

Well done to everybody at the Academy

Stags Young Players This Season (U23)
5. Richard Nartey (23) (06/09/98) (On loan from Burnley)
26. Jason Law (22) (26/04/99)
1. Nathan Bishop (22) (15/10/99) (On loan from Manchester United)
21. James Clarke (21) (02/04/00)
19. Keaton Ward (21) (04/05/00)
25. Ryan Stirk (21) (25/09/00) (On loan from Birmingham City)
15. Ryan Burke (21) (23/11/00)
13. George Shelvey (20) (22/04/01) (Returned to Nottingham Forest)
22. Jimmy Knowles (20) (27/02/01)
17. Tyrese Sinclair (20) (04/02/01)
23. Will Forrester (20) (29/06/01) (Returned to Stoke City)
30. Josh Scott (20) (20/09/01)
28. Ethan Hill (19) (12/09/02)
34. George Cooper (19) (25/10/02)
36. Nathan Caine (19) (20/11/02)
20. Jaden Charles (19) (25/01/02)
31. James Gale (19)

Note: There is also Corey O'Keeffe (23) (05/06/98)
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:55 pm

steve-hymas wrote:It’s interesting to read fans thoughts on our young players and academy .firstly I must say many don’t realise how good our academy is and the work and dedication put in by all the staff with the young players within our system .
Without going through the whole system the one thing we are finding difficult is how to produce a full blown first team player.
We are looking to give our academy lads as much exposure to adult football as possible to bridge that gap and that means going out on loan at the highest step we can .we must understand that the managers at the clubs we loan to are also looking for success within their club too so it proves difficult to guarantee football .
One of our most successful academy players has been Alister Smith now plying his trade at Sutton who are one of our promotion rivals .
While at Mansfield he spent a lot of time on our bench and when he came on many said he wasn’t good enough .Eventually he went permanently to Altrincham where he played regularly and then was sold to Sutton to play in league 2 as I say to a team above us at the moment .
Cloughie by the way is very good with our young players and takes a keen interest in their progress and at this moment in time they are best out on loan getting game time and experience.

Steve
I think that the systematic and structured approach backed up with a lot of money give a lot of fans a huge sense that something special is happening.
From a standing start, the club has moved to a large number of younger and young players banging on the door of the team or squad in only a few years. The young teams seem to be developing each year and there seem to be stronger players coming through each year.
For me, these are exciting times
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum