{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Kieran Wallace signed from Burton on a free transfer

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby Conker » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:49 am

Should we really be handing out more 2+ year contracts to people around mid 30 though? Just think it’s best not to overdo stuff like that.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:06 am

Conker wrote:Should we really be handing out more 2+ year contracts to people around mid 30 though? Just think it’s best not to overdo stuff like that.

He's 27 though
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:09 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Conker wrote:Should we really be handing out more 2+ year contracts to people around mid 30 though? Just think it’s best not to overdo stuff like that.

He's 27 though

Sorry was on about Brayford.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:12 am

NEStag wrote:It seems pretty obvious that, if anything, we need a back-up centre half.

Up front we have Akins, Bowery, Hawkins, Johnson, Oates (and maybe Gale and Sinclair) and I may even have forgotten someone.

At CH we have Hawkins (a converted CF, one away from a suspension as mentioned above), Rawson (suspended for the next game) and O'Toole (a converted midfielder although maybe this is now his natural slot). Perch is still out, Hewitt doesn't seem right for that spot, Nartey is unproven based on what we have seen and it looks like Forrester has gone back.

It seems clear to me that if anything we need a left back. At left back we have McLaughlin and absolutely no one else (Burke clearly isn’t an option because he’s not even conference standard).

If Macca gets injured as currently constructed we’d have to play wing backs and shoehorn Bowery into playing 90 minutes at LWB. Definitely not ideal especially if Macca suffered an injury that kept him out for 5+ games.

A back up left back is the priority.
Last edited by Cleveland_Stag on Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:22 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
NEStag wrote:It seems pretty obvious that, if anything, we need a back-up centre half.

Up front we have Akins, Bowery, Hawkins, Johnson, Oates (and maybe Gale and Sinclair) and I may even have forgotten someone.

At CH we have Hawkins (a converted CF, one away from a suspension as mentioned above), Rawson (suspended for the next game) and O'Toole (a converted midfielder although maybe this is now his natural slot). Perch is still out, Hewitt doesn't seem right for that spot, Nartey is unproven based on what we have seen and it looks like Forrester has gone back.

It seems pretty obvious to me that if anything we need a left back. At left back we have McLaughlin and absolutely no one else (Burke clearly isn’t an option because he’s not even conference standard).

If Macca gets injured as currently constructed we’d have to play wing backs and shoehorn Bowery into playing 90 minutes at LWB. Definitely not ideal especially if Macca suffered an injury that kept him out for 5+ games.

A back up left back is the priority.

Couldn't agree more.

CB would be 2nd priority for me.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:13 am

Conker wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

He's 27 though

I can't see us getting Brayford but think it would be a great signing if we did. Quinn and O'Toole are over 30 and have been our best players this season but I get what you're saying. As long as they're fit and don't have a horrible injury record I'm happy with a 2 year deal.

Remember Evans giving horrendous contracts to Diamond and Mirfin who were both so injury prone
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:15 am

Seems Wallace may still be signing if his injured knee improves.

Should Nigel really be signing someone with an ongoing knee problem?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:15 am

I struggle to see how we could pry Brayford out of Burton now.

He's started their last 5 games and bagged 2 goals in a decent run of form for the Brewers.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:17 am

oldweststander wrote:Seems Wallace may still be signing if his injured knee improves.

Should Nigel really be signing someone with an ongoing knee problem?

On a 6 month deal to be back up to Macca.

I can see why he’d take the risk if it’s a player who he can trust.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:40 pm

I think Kieran Wallace will probably be the last transfer window signing if he is fit....unless someone suddenly becomes available that Nigel Clough thinks he absolutely has to snap up e.g. a very good League 1 standard player who may not be available again for two years or a young player who we will be able to develop and sell on.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:10 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Conker wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

He's 27 though

I can't see us getting Brayford but think it would be a great signing if we did. Quinn and O'Toole are over 30 and have been our best players this season but I get what you're saying. As long as they're fit and don't have a horrible injury record I'm happy with a 2 year deal.

Remember Evans giving horrendous contracts to Diamond and Mirfin who were both so injury prone

Craig Davies.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:32 pm

Dan wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Conker wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

He's 27 though

Craig Davies.

now he really was daylight robbery that lad
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:00 pm

I think Craig Davies is the reason JR gets very nervous about signing any players with injuries. He must have cost the club an absolute fortune with his transfer fee, signing on fee, wages etc. We've also had Joe Riley, David Mirfin, Zander Diamond, Matty Blair and Jake The Snake.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:05 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I think Craig Davies is the reason JR gets very nervous about signing any players with injuries. He must have cost the club an absolute fortune with his transfer fee, signing on fee, wages etc. We've also had Joe Riley, David Mirfin, Zander Diamond, Matty Blair and Jake The Snake.

the here & now is will NC take a punt on Kieran Wallace, times a ticking, We are led to believe he failed his first medical maybe, so will be interesting to see how it pans out from now until Monday. I’ve got a feeling in my water there may be one or two surprises going out so you never know.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:06 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I think Craig Davies is the reason JR gets very nervous about signing any players with injuries. He must have cost the club an absolute fortune with his transfer fee, signing on fee, wages etc. We've also had Joe Riley, David Mirfin, Zander Diamond, Matty Blair and Jake The Snake.

we got our money back though, through him being the go to person for modelling new kits.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:10 pm

Just had a quick look and Diamond, Mirfin, and Davies all played quite a lot of football in the 2 seasons prior to joining us, most of it at a higher level as well

Diamond - 45 and 43 apps in all comps
Mirfin - 37 and 38 apps in all comps
Davies - 44 and 35 apps in all comps

Each of their spells with us turned out to be a disaster really, but with that amount of games played before signing I can see why we didn’t necessarily think we were signing crocks. We were unlucky that they were all constantly injured with us, but I suppose that is a risk with any older signing - one minute they’re capable playing 40 odd games and the next they’re pretty much finished. Let’s hope we have more luck with our older players this time around!
Last edited by BH_Stag on Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:10 pm

They can pass the most stringent of medicals then get injured in training or a meaningless game

Remember Iffy Onura ? We lost out on one of our best centre backs in Kev Grey on that deal. All transfers are gambles.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:22 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Just had a quick look and Diamond, Mirfin, and Davies all played quite a lot of football in the 2 seasons prior to joining us, most of it at a higher level as well

Diamond - 45 and 43 apps in all comps
Mirfin - 37 and and 38 apps in all comps
Davies - 44 and 35 apps in all comps

Each of their spells with us turned out to be a disaster really, but with that amount of games played before going I can see why we didn’t necessarily think we were signing crocks. We were unlucky that they were all constantly injured with us, but I suppose that is a risk with any older signing - one minute they’re capable playing 40 odd games and the next they’re pretty much finished. Let’s hope we have more luck with our older players this time around!

Yeah but none of that matters according to some experts on here who think it’s the managers fault players get injured…
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:23 pm

Dan wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Conker wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

He's 27 though

Craig Davies.

How could I forget, he was worse than those two injury wise. At least Diamond scored a last minute equaliser against the raspberry
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:58 pm

We also had Darius Henderson but to be fair to him I think he was on a short term contract and he scored past Notts County.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:33 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:the here & now is will NC take a punt on Kieran Wallace, times a ticking, We are led to believe he failed his first medical maybe, so will be interesting to see how it pans out from now until Monday. I’ve got a feeling in my water there may be one or two surprises going out so you never know.

Nigel Clough said on Kieran Wallace rumour:
"Yes it is true. We have worked with Kieran before. He didn't fail the medical, he had a slightly sore knee so it's something we will look at again towards the end of the week. His knee was a bit puffy but it's all settled down now, so we will try to revisit that one.”
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:15 pm

lifestags wrote:We also had Darius Henderson but to be fair to him I think he was on a short term contract and he scored past Notts County.

lol he lives a few doors down from me, played him at pool last year
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Nottsstag100 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:00 pm

Further to my Charsley post, Wallace has been training with the squad today and it’s likely he has/will sign.
Nottsstag100
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:10 pm

Does Perch coming back from injury count as a new signing. He's versatile across the back too.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:17 pm

Nottsstag100 wrote:Further to my Charsley post, Wallace has been training with the squad today and it’s likely he has/will sign.

Wallace covers Charsley's departure at CM, not that we need cover there.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum