{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Pitch

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Pitch

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:54 pm

Not a moan before we start but I’ve seen the pic on Martin’s report on Facebook and the strip in front of the West Stand looks like it’s stressed again.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Re: Pitch

Postby NEStag » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:10 pm

The side next to the West Stand looked poor on Saturday. I thought it didn’t look great on TV last night either.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:14 pm

It’s not the best but the same for both teams. It’s devoid of much sunlight which doesn’t help. I wouldn’t say it affected the players much either.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby ian23 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:15 pm

Doesn't look great but only used 3 more times until March, I think it's done ok to say how many games we have had
ian23
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:16 pm

The same thing happens every season.

This time last year I tried to point out that the weather hadn’t been too bad. It’s the same again this year.

I thought the club has spent tens of thousands of pounds on fibresand and that the SSA had funded some new equipment?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:59 pm

The West Stand roof stops quite a lot of sunlight getting to that part of the pitch, we've had issues with it since redevelopment. Haslam knew about it too, but clear panels were much more expensive!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:06 pm

It’s a real shame we can’t seem to resolve it. Hopefully it doesn’t affect our game if we have a wet February and March
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:21 pm

It looks worse than usual, even after light usage recently and excellent weather conditions. It's time to bite the bullet and install the clear panels. If the pitch freezes and thaws a few times in the next few weeks it'll be like a 1970's pitch on that side.

Some of the other areas of the pitch don't look too great either, so maybe it's more than just a sunlight problem.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:27 pm

Bradders wrote:It looks worse than usual, even after light usage recently and excellent weather conditions. It's time to bite the bullet and install the clear panels. If the pitch freezes and thaws a few times in the next few weeks it'll be like a 1970's pitch on that side.

Some of the other areas of the pitch don't look too great either, so maybe it's more than just a sunlight problem.

I got told that all the work in the summer to strip it and put down the fibresand etc was rendered useless as they dropped a clanger as they didn't clear out all the drains below that it loads into.
Only what I was told and makes sense as its got plenty of grass for the time of year but its not draining????
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:08 am

I was sat in the IG for the Boro game and I couldn't believe how much their players were churning it up in the ore match warm up.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:34 am

"Ahh Ted, you really must do something about the drainage in the bottom field". ;)
Last edited by Spiritater on Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:55 am

The Mezz Appreciation Society will be watching this thread closely :D
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stag324 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:13 am

Spiritater wrote:"Ahh Ted, you really must do something about the drainage in the bottom field". ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:10 pm

Spiritater wrote:"Ahh Ted, you really must do something about the drainage in the bottom field". ;)

Well oi wouldn't know 'bout dat koind a thing Sor.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:18 pm

Fast Show was quality.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:27 pm

After Nov it becomes one off the worse surfaces in the league ,and has done for along time
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:49 pm

It plays alright, the football witnessed against Hartlepool, Boro and Swindon has been amazing - no complaints from me.

Games not been called off and as someone has already said it takes a long break from Saturday.

And all this because an opposing manager is looking for an excuse as to why they lost.

:coys: :coys: :coys:
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:58 pm

Rob wrote:The West Stand roof stops quite a lot of sunlight getting to that part of the pitch, we've had issues with it since redevelopment. Haslam knew about it too, but clear panels were much more expensive!

I’m pretty sure the dimensions of the old West Stand were broadly similar and I don’t recall an issue back then.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:07 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:The West Stand roof stops quite a lot of sunlight getting to that part of the pitch, we've had issues with it since redevelopment. Haslam knew about it too, but clear panels were much more expensive!

I’m pretty sure the dimensions of the old West Stand were broadly similar and I don’t recall an issue back then.

The roof did not stretch out as far as the current one. It also had clear panels/gaps at the back of the roof which let the sun in. Other than that, spot on ;)

You can see what I mean here

https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.c ... ield-town/
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:11 pm

Rob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

The roof did not stretch out as far as the current one. It also had clear panels/gaps at the back of the roof which let the sun in. Other than that, spot on ;)

If you think those panels made any difference :)

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:28 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

If you think those panels made any difference :)

Well we didn't have any pitch problems that side of the ground. The roof is also clearly shorter which probably made the most difference.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:36 pm

Folk used get drenched standing on the West side when it rained heavy.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:46 pm

part time pete wrote:Folk used get drenched standing on the West side when it rained heavy.

You'd get wet in the seats too if the wind was blowing across the pitch.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:54 pm

part time pete wrote:Folk used get drenched standing on the West side when it rained heavy.

I can vouch for where the roof went to because in around 1984 I was stood half way down the West Stand terrace and a gust of wind washed a massive load of water off the front of the roof and straight down my neck. Colchester on a Tuesday night if I remember correctly.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby AJStag » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:38 pm

Is it just rainwater dripping from the edge of the roof in inclement weather because it now overhangs the pitch. ? Mostly in the shadow of the stand won't help of course.
AJStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum