{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Pitch

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Pitch

Postby groundhoppingstag » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:02 pm

NEStag wrote:
part time pete wrote:Folk used get drenched standing on the West side when it rained heavy.

I can vouch for where the roof went to because in around 1984 I was stood half way down the West Stand terrace and a gust of wind washed a massive load of water off the front of the roof and straight down my neck. Colchester on a Tuesday night if I remember correctly.

Wednesday 19th September 1984

Lost 0-1 in front of 2,084 whilst manager Ian Greaves was adjusting to Division 4 football.
groundhoppingstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby part time pete » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:36 am

groundhoppingstag wrote:
NEStag wrote:
part time pete wrote:Folk used get drenched standing on the West side when it rained heavy.

I can vouch for where the roof went to because in around 1984 I was stood half way down the West Stand terrace and a gust of wind washed a massive load of water off the front of the roof and straight down my neck. Colchester on a Tuesday night if I remember correctly.

Lost 0-1 in front of 2,084 whilst manager Ian Greaves was adjusting to Division 4 football.

Playing on Wednesday because the rugby league team using pitch on Sunday’s to give pitch an extra day to recover.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:06 am

Rob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:The West Stand roof stops quite a lot of sunlight getting to that part of the pitch, we've had issues with it since redevelopment. Haslam knew about it too, but clear panels were much more expensive!

I’m pretty sure the dimensions of the old West Stand were broadly similar and I don’t recall an issue back then.

The roof did not stretch out as far as the current one. It also had clear panels/gaps at the back of the roof which let the sun in. Other than that, spot on ;)

You can see what I mean here

https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.c ... ield-town/

If you think those panels made any difference :)

Well we didn't have any pitch problems that side of the ground. The roof is also clearly shorter which probably made the most difference.

I’d think it more likely that the pitch is the issue as it’s been dug up far more times than the stand has been rebuilt. I reckon the shadow cast, especially in the middle, isn’t much different to the old stand. I’ve seen the lights on that side being used too so I think it’s more to do with the substrate than anything. Could be wrong though
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:12 am

part time pete wrote:
groundhoppingstag wrote:
NEStag wrote:

Playing on Wednesday because the rugby league team using pitch on Sunday’s to give pitch an extra day to recover.

I think that was the Mansfield Marksman, named after the lager?
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby pemill » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:10 pm

The pitch is a million times better than it was in the 'old days', the main difference is games went ahead even if there was 2 inches of mud and not just down the West Stand side.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:10 pm

Watching the Coppa Italia, Inter v Empoli. San Siro pitch in worse condition than the Mill :shock:
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:24 pm

groundhoppingstag wrote:
NEStag wrote:

Football was dying mid eighties. Teams like Chelsea were getting 12000 at home. Wonder how things would have turned out without the marketing skills of SKY and/or the Premier League.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:21 pm

Take the whole roof off the West Stand and sack the Head Groundsman

Problem solved
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:30 pm

sunray wrote:Take the whole roof off the West Stand and sack the Head Groundsman

Problem solved

Are you for real !!! So crowd in largest stand open to the elements.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:53 am

The One wrote:
sunray wrote:Take the whole roof off the West Stand and sack the Head Groundsman

Problem solved

Whoooooosssh
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:17 am

ST4GS wrote:
groundhoppingstag wrote:
NEStag wrote:

Football was dying mid eighties. Teams like Chelsea were getting 12000 at home. Wonder how things would have turned out without the marketing skills of SKY and/or the Premier League.

Don't forget the impact of Bobby Robson and the 1990 England World Cup squad. That run to the semi finals is what brought football back into the mind of the average person and was the impetus for the Premier League.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:07 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
ST4GS wrote:
groundhoppingstag wrote:
NEStag wrote:

Don't forget the impact of Bobby Robson and the 1990 England World Cup squad. That run to the semi finals is what brought football back into the mind of the average person and was the impetus for the Premier League.

Yes that was very important as it captured the public imagination both on and off the field. It remains the best World Cup in my lifetime. Also don't forget the impact the Stags win at Wembley in 1987 had on world football.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:47 am

wayno cordiniho wrote:
The One wrote:

Problem solved

Whoooooosssh

Have to say as far as obvious sarcasm goes that was a humdinger.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum