{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January’s transfer activity.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

January’s transfer activity.

Postby lifestags » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:58 am

So everyone, January is fast approaching, I don’t think we have got it right in the last couple of transfer windows, what do you think we need? Do you think anyone may be on their way out?

Discuss:
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Re: January’s transfer activity.

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:00 am

Are we allowed ? :)
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:12 am

CEO states maybe 2 in and 2 out but let's wait and see.

Depends largely on whether O'Toole signs a new contract or not I suspect.

Maybe the two out are those on loan at Rochdale and Walsall?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:19 am

oldweststander wrote:CEO states maybe 2 in and 2 out but let's wait and see.

Depends largely on whether O'Toole signs a new contract or not I suspect.

Maybe the two out are those on loan at Rochdale and Walsall?

I hope not, O’Keeffe has been brilliant so it would be a shame to let him go.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:20 am

If NC continues to tinker with 3 at the back I fully expect O'Keefe back and playing as our RWB..
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:36 am

Heard we are looking at one centre half who hopefully will be back from injury at the end of January.
Also a much rated centre half is already being talked to and we are hopeful of signing him.

Does this sound very familiar?
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:38 am

'It appears to me that O'Keefe must have had a falling out with Clough.He is a standout performer for Rochdale and is regularly in the league 2 team of the week.Can anyone throw any light on the situation?I can see the reason why Menayese was loaned out due to his poor timekeeping which is not allowed at most clubs.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:08 pm

I don’t see Menayese as better than what we have at the back currently. However, two things in his favour are that we own him and at his age he has potential to improve and earn us a fee in the future, which cannot be said for O’Toole, Forrester, Perch.

What has happened with O’Keeffe is a travesty really. Possibly a case of him just not settling here for whatever reason. He is one of the best creators in the league. Would be a shame to lose him for a nominal fee, if any at all, but I suspect the damage has been done in O’Keeffe’s head.

Would be nice to have some pacy wingers as options but there’s never been any sign that Clough wants to use wingers in that way so it may just be wasted money.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:46 pm

One position I hope we get a bit of cover in for is Left back. McLaughlin has been brilliant this season so this definitely isn’t to take his place, but I’m worried that if he was to pick up an injury that kept him out for any decent length of time it would hurt us more than probably any other outfield position currently as we simply do not have a suitable like for like replacement.

People may see that as harsh on Burke, but it’s just the way I see it - he’s not in the same league as Macca and not a good enough stand in if he had to play 6/7 games say, particularly if we have ambitions of a play off push which I’m sure we will have. We saw how the injury to White and a sub standard replacement really hampered our season a few years back.

If we were to nail down our options at CB in Jan which I’m sure we will then that will be the only outstanding position where we don’t have a decent stand in. With more postponements likely we’re probably going to have a packed schedule down the line at some stage so we’re going to need a solid squad. Didn’t O’Keeffe play left back quite a lot for Macclesfield prior to joining us? Could perhaps kill two birds with one stone if that option was there to us and he would be open to a return, although it seems unlikely.

Would also like a pacey player on the right wing. Would open up some new options for us.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:08 pm

Seems a shame that we loaned out a decent player because we didn't play the system that suits him, then while he's playing well we don't recall him once we start playing the system that suits him.

I think this one is for the 'summits gone off' list.

I'd like us to see O'Toole sign another CB, and possibly a different winger option.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:34 pm

Liverpool and Newcastle are saying they may not sign players who are unvaccinated. What are your views if the Stags adopted this policy,if it means we miss out on improvement to the squad
I posted this on the JJ thread before I spotted this one had been started. Any thoughts?
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:47 pm

My view is that it would part of due diligence done on a purely objective basis like the medical, physio etc. It would also be relevant if the club's insurance fees went up significantly because the risk of a claim would be higher.

A perfectly fit player could sign in January, get Covid and miss weeks or even longer if they were badly affected. The club would then be liable for their wages when they were playing or would need to claim in the insurance. It is also not clear what the effect of Covid is on player's later fitness.

From a purely objective sense, I don't think it is worth the risk
Last edited by georgefostersbeard on Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:53 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:If NC continues to tinker with 3 at the back I fully expect O'Keefe back and playing as our RWB..

Would be great to have O‘Keefe at right back and McLaughlin at left ,probably the best pairing in the league
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:00 pm

I agree we need cover at right and left back, could Danny Johnson be tempted to leave? He ahs showed glimpses of what he can do, Would you be happy with him moving on if we could get a replacement in?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:27 pm

Why would he want to leave ?
Why would we be looking at letting him go ?
Hes not been here a full season yet....
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:38 pm

Bros wrote:Liverpool and Newcastle are saying they may not sign players who are unvaccinated. What are your views if the Stags adopted this policy,if it means we miss out on improvement to the squad
I posted this on the JJ thread before I spotted this one had been started. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't like to see us adopt this policy this personally. I would sign the best players who we think would fit in.
Similarly I wouldn't try to enforce that our players were vaccinated, but I would ensure that they received medical advice to encourage them to do so and then it's up to them.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby lifestags » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:44 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Why would he want to leave ?
Why would we be looking at letting him go ?
Hes not been here a full season yet....

He probably doesn’t and he probably will stay, I am just playing devils advocate but saying that, I also think that when everyone is fit, I don’t think he will be starting and he also hasn’t pulled up any trees when he has played.

Could a replacement that fits in a little better be found?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:07 pm

lifestags wrote:I agree we need cover at right and left back, could Danny Johnson be tempted to leave? He ahs showed glimpses of what he can do, Would you be happy with him moving on if we could get a replacement in?

Just wild speculation, but I saw a tall stawberry blonde gent in a Stags training top at Gatwick airport yesterday morning. Could have been DJ but I wasn't wearing spex so it could have been anyone.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:31 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Seems a shame that we loaned out a decent player because we didn't play the system that suits him, then while he's playing well we don't recall him once we start playing the system that suits him.

I think this one is for the 'summits gone off' list.

I'd like us to see O'Toole sign another CB, and possibly a different winger option.

Cannot recall anyone until January if loaned to a league club.

For me I'd let O'Keefe go, for whatever reason he didn't fit and if he was unhappy then why would things change now. I don't believe what Nigel said about systems etc, he was being diplomatic in my view?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Field Mill » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:55 pm

Heard that we were goi g back for that centre back from Oldham in January?
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:58 pm

geoffhill wrote:'It appears to me that O'Keefe must have had a falling out with Clough.He is a standout performer for Rochdale and is regularly in the league 2 team of the week.Can anyone throw any light on the situation?I can see the reason why Menayese was loaned out due to his poor timekeeping which is not allowed at most clubs.
He probably doesn't want to come back so probably wouldn't be as effective with us. If it's true he has been one of their best players I'm sure Rochdale would be willing to pay a fee.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:58 pm

Field Mill wrote:Heard that we were goi g back for that centre back from Oldham in January?

the rumour is discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39417
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby lifestags » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:49 am

It would make perfect sense for us to keep O'keefe but as others have said, very rarely when a player gets loaned to another league club does he return.

Was thinking back to last Jan/Summer and who the rumoured targets were, are Akins and Brayford playing much at the mo? :lol:
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:20 am

lifestags wrote:It would make perfect sense for us to keep O'keefe but as others have said, very rarely when a player gets loaned to another league club does he return.

Was thinking back to last Jan/Summer and who the rumoured targets were, are Akins and Brayford playing much at the mo? :lol:

For me O'Toole before Brayford, my opinion.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:24 am

Our strategy will revolve around JJ signing or not I feel.
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum