{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January’s transfer activity.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January’s transfer activity.

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:42 pm

broomo wrote:
chip63 wrote:Otoole arrived at the time of the change in form and he's been instrumental in our winning run.
The change of form in Hewitt and Rawson is another factor in the great run.
Hawkins has certainly helped but he's not the only reason.

I'd put the main reason for the uplift squarely with JJ. He's been unreal.

The improvement in Hewitt has also been a major factor.

I wouldn't give Ollie all the credit at all. Just pointing out we have won most of our games with him at the back so it's tough to read someone say he's not good enough to play there.

I'd say the main reason for the uplift is Clough playing his best players in the positions he wants to play and signing a centre back you were certain we didn't need.

Funnily enough that our upturn in for is attributed to Hewitt (switch from CB to RB) and Rawson (with a strong dominating central defender next to him) and JJ the player we apparently didn't need because Clough said he was happy with the summer window.

Even today with a severely depleted squad we managed a win. That's the difference. RB at RB, CB at CB, CF (who himself said he enjoys CB). Midfielders in midfield and forwards up front. Remarkable when you consider how depleted our midfield was.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:45 pm

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:
Johnny H wrote:Desperately need to either get Nartey and Forrester fit or strengthen central defence in early Jan
This game today has again shown that Hawkins is not a good centre half and that we also miss him up top (even though we scored 3)
Hawkins has done a job there but we cannot keep getting away with him losing his man and being turned so often.

We've won 10 out of 11 and he's played at the back for 9 of them.

That’s because he’s a quality player. Don’t please bore us by defending how he has to be there.

Any chance of you just letting me post without going off on your stupid personal crusade.

If you can point to any part of my post that is boring you (or "us" as you keep hammering home) or defending why he's there I'll shut up.

Have we won 9 games out of 10 with him playing at the back? Yes or no?

You really are a strangely obsessed little man.

I’m not obsessed but when you post rubbish I’ll rebut it. He was signed to play up front. For me he’s been arguably our player of the season. No matter how you twist it otherwise, he was signed to play up front and I think we are weaker as a side when he’s not scoring.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:58 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
broomo wrote:
chip63 wrote:Otoole arrived at the time of the change in form and he's been instrumental in our winning run.
The change of form in Hewitt and Rawson is another factor in the great run.
Hawkins has certainly helped but he's not the only reason.

I'd put the main reason for the uplift squarely with JJ. He's been unreal.

The improvement in Hewitt has also been a major factor.

I wouldn't give Ollie all the credit at all. Just pointing out we have won most of our games with him at the back so it's tough to read someone say he's not good enough to play there.

I'd say the main reason for the uplift is Clough playing his best players in the positions he wants to play and signing a centre back you were certain we didn't need.

Funnily enough that our upturn in for is attributed to Hewitt (switch from CB to RB) and Rawson (with a strong dominating central defender next to him) and JJ the player we apparently didn't need because Clough said he was happy with the summer window.

Even today with a severely depleted squad we managed a win. That's the difference. RB at RB, CB at CB, CF (who himself said he enjoys CB). Midfielders in midfield and forwards up front. Remarkable when you consider how depleted our midfield was.

Did I really say I was certain we didn't need to sign a centre half?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:02 pm

jpstags wrote:And you told me to calm down you really are a first class nob. Just let it go you fool.

Haha. Lay off the Thunderbird. I’m not letting anything go. He made a point, thought it was personal when it wasn’t. In you step again.

You’re going round giving me stick and you appear to the abusive one. Chortle

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:08 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:
Johnny H wrote:Desperately need to either get Nartey and Forrester fit or strengthen central defence in early Jan
This game today has again shown that Hawkins is not a good centre half and that we also miss him up top (even though we scored 3)
Hawkins has done a job there but we cannot keep getting away with him losing his man and being turned so often.

We've won 10 out of 11 and he's played at the back for 9 of them.

That’s because he’s a quality player. Don’t please bore us by defending how he has to be there.

Any chance of you just letting me post without going off on your stupid personal crusade.

If you can point to any part of my post that is boring you (or "us" as you keep hammering home) or defending why he's there I'll shut up.

Have we won 9 games out of 10 with him playing at the back? Yes or no?

You really are a strangely obsessed little man.

I’m not obsessed but when you post rubbish I’ll rebut it. He was signed to play up front. For me he’s been arguably our player of the season. No matter how you twist it otherwise, he was signed to play up front and I think we are weaker as a side when he’s not scoring.

Please just answer this, reasonably and without going off on one.

What part of we've won 10 out of 11, 9 of which he's played at the back, is the "rubbish" you're rebutting?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:16 pm

broomo wrote:Please just answer this, reasonably and without going off on one.

What part of we've won 10 out of 11, 9 of which he's played at the back, is the "rubbish" you're rebutting?

I know but just imagine if we didn’t have to play our best striker at the back. It’s not a criticism of the manager, it’s just how it is but don’t you think if we could get a decent quality centre half then we’d be a better side with him playing where we signed him to play. You see every single comment as a potential criticism of the manager. It isn’t

The rubbish bit is that we would be a more potent attacking force with him up front.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:22 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

I know but just imagine if we didn’t have to play our best striker at the back. It’s not a criticism of the manager, it’s just how it is but don’t you think if we could get a decent quality centre half then we’d be a better side with him playing where we signed him to play. You see every single comment as a potential criticism of the manager. It isn’t

The rubbish bit is that we would be a more potent attacking force with him up front.

I'd like to see him back up front. I'd like to see us sign another quality centre half, ideally John Brayford. I pray we extend JJ's contract as well.

Having said that, if Ollie has to keep playing there I'd be comfortable with it and I'm not sure even if we had another centre half we'd have done better than 21 points out of 24.

We clearly had issues before JJ signed, those issues seem to have been solved.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:36 pm

Just putting it out there that Hawkins played centre half in 5 of the last 6 during our winless streak too.

Hawkins has been brilliant this season, but I lean with Belly on this. He needs to be up front. Had he been up front today he would have feasted on some of the crosses we put in and I can’t imagine him missing that header.

He is also steadily being surpassed as the better central defender in each of our matches. Rawson and JJ have been immense recently.

Clough did say in his interview on 103.2 that he was supposed to have played up top today but we had to shuffle the pack due to covid.

Hopefully we get the centre back we’re missing and he can fire us to promotion!
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:44 pm

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I'd like to see him back up front. I'd like to see us sign another quality centre half, ideally John Brayford. I pray we extend JJ's contract as well.

Having said that, if Ollie has to keep playing there I'd be comfortable with it and I'm not sure even if we had another centre half we'd have done better than 21 points out of 24.

So you agree with me.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:52 pm

It's a Christmas miracle. The Stagsnet equivalent of the troops playing football in no mans land.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:59 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

So you agree with me.

Probably yes.

My comment was to Johnny H saying he wasn't good enough and that we won't keep getting away with playing him.

I posted pure facts but for some reason you didn't like it.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:22 pm

Tbf Broomo I think you have agreed with what I put too.
You have said you want Hawkins up front and that you also want us to sign a CH (Brayford)
You want that because Hawkins is a CF and Brayford is a better CH
I think thats the jist of what I put !!!
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:33 pm

Linked with Montel Gibson
Not sure about that but it's on The Chad website so must be right.....ha ha !
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:41 pm

Johnny H wrote:Linked with Montel Gibson
Not sure about that but it's on The Chad website so must be right.....ha ha !

See viewtopic.php?p=928314#p928314
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Beano » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:29 pm

:shock:

Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:44 pm

Beano wrote::shock:

If true Man U would have to pay compensation to stags
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:56 pm

Makes sense with McKenna’s United connection. Wonder if he could get Hladky off them to compensate? Although he’s had a poor season for them so far.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:59 pm

Unfortunately this is the risk you take when you loan players.
Why would United have to pay compensation - my understanding is that there is a recall option in January?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:18 pm

They can have him for me,at best he's been average.Too fond of his line and no more than an average shot stopper.
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:18 pm

You would assume there is a recall option, pretty big loss if it happens.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:19 pm

Bishop would be a huge loss. He’s been superb for us and it comes as no surprise that he’s on the radar of other clubs.

I sincerely hope there’s no recall or he remains with us until the end of the season. I was already thinking the only way we may be able to keep him beyond this season is if we are playing at a higher level. With that said I wouldn’t be surprised if Championship clubs were also monitoring him very closely.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:19 pm

stagone1959 wrote:They can have him for me,at best he's been average.Too fond of his line and no more than an average shot stopper.

:o

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:23 pm

stagone1959 wrote:They can have him for me,at best he's been average.Too fond of his line and no more than an average shot stopper.

We must be watching a different keeper :lol:
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:24 pm

What you been drinking ? :lol:
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:28 pm

Hope he doesn’t go, any obvious replacements out there?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum