{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January’s transfer activity.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January’s transfer activity.

Postby Field Mill » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:55 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Field Mill wrote:Heard that we were goi g back for that centre back from Oldham in January?

the rumour is discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39417

Thanks Martin, I hadn't noticed the other thread.
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:58 am

let’s hope Cloughie’s big bro has a quality Christmas list of signings & plan Bs
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:56 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:let’s hope Cloughie’s big bro has a quality Christmas list of signings & plan Bs

Yes, let’s hope.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:00 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:let’s hope Cloughie’s big bro has a quality Christmas list of signings & plan Bs

Yes, let’s hope.

Get signings in early so we not waiting in the last few hours of the window to be let down.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:02 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Yes, let’s hope.

Get signings in early so we not waiting in the last few hours of the window to be let down.

Wouldn’t that be a pleasant change

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:12 am

I would like to see O’Keefe recalled and with Hewitt and Clarke also available to play that position it makes sense to move Gordon on.

We still need another centre back, two if O’Toole leaves. I’d like to see Meneyese given a chance.

This will mean Hawkins can play exclusively up front. Hawkins, Oates and DJ are a really good set of strikers for this level. I’d look at letting Bowery go and using Sinclair as the fourth striker

I’d probably send Shelvey back and let Stech be the back up to Bishop.

I’d like to see better cover / competition for McLaughlin - although wing back is probably more suited to Burke than full back is.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:20 am

bellwhiff wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Yes, let’s hope.

Wouldn’t that be a pleasant change

Often this isn't possible in the January window because we are a long way down the chain.
If we are looking at a L1 player, their team will only release them once they have signed their replacement, who also can only be released when they have been replaced.
We could have everything agreed and in place on day 1 of the window, but have to wait for 3 or 4 other deals in the chain to be sorted first, so several weeks before our signing can be finalised.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:44 am

Not sure what's happening with O'keefe... heard all sorts from a fee has been agreed, they wont pay a fee because hes out of contract etc but I think ultimately Nigel might give him a chance in a back 5 if we stick with this formation... its where hes best at and done well at Rochdale..

Funny when we played Rochdale they were miles ahead and we thought they were one of the better sides in the league and now were above them :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MHStag » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:29 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:I would like to see O’Keefe recalled and with Hewitt and Clarke also available to play that position it makes sense to move Gordon on.

We still need another centre back, two if O’Toole leaves. I’d like to see Meneyese given a chance.

This will mean Hawkins can play exclusively up front. Hawkins, Oates and DJ are a really good set of strikers for this level. I’d look at letting Bowery go and using Sinclair as the fourth striker

I’d like to see better cover / competition for McLaughlin - although wing back is probably more suited to Burke than full back is.

Wouldn't want to see Gordon leave, been unlucky with injuries this season but has looked good when he has played IMO. He also seems to genuinely care which is nice to see (or maybe he just has a good social media team :wink:)
MHStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:58 am

------------------------Bishop

--------------Hewitt Rawson O'Toole
O'Keeffe/Gordon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Macca
-------------------Maris Quinn
-----------------------Lapslie
----------------Hawkins Oates

Bench: Shelvey, O'Keeffe/Gordon, Nartey, Forrester, O Clarke, Stirk, DJ

Further backup Charsley, Sinclair, Bowery, Gale, Law. Ward, Burke etc.

That starting XI is ideal because we can swap to a 4-4-2 without using a sub. Putting Gordon/O'Keeffe on RW and Hewitt at RB. You can guess the rest.

Midfield is overcrowded with players, the left is a bit of a concern, the right is too if we aren't getting O'Keeffe back and Gordon is a long time out. CB, if Nartey and Forrester can be injury free (or rather, long term injury free) and we sign O'Toole then we are OK at CB, even more so if Menayese returns.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:05 pm

A lot of ifs at the back though gazza, we can only be certain on Hewitt Rawson and Macca.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:17 pm

MHStag wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:I would like to see O’Keefe recalled and with Hewitt and Clarke also available to play that position it makes sense to move Gordon on.

Wouldn't want to see Gordon leave, been unlucky with injuries this season but has looked good when he has played IMO. He also seems to genuinely care which is nice to see (or maybe he just has a good social media team :wink:)

The reality is that Gordon only signed a new 2 year contract at the same juncture that O'Keefe was allowed to go out on loan for the first 6 months of his final year with us - so it would be a massive stretch to see Gordon gone and O'Keeffe back in. Gordon is here for another 18 months unless he chooses not to be.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:29 pm

chip63 wrote:A lot of ifs at the back though gazza, we can only be certain on Hewitt Rawson and Macca.

Exactly. Hard to say what situation we would be in. So many variables and situations. We've 6 weeks until the window slams shut. Plenty can happen in that time. it was 6-7 weeks ago that we got that win vs Tranmere, our first win in months.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:13 pm

Desperately need to either get Nartey and Forrester fit or strengthen central defence in early Jan
This game today has again shown that Hawkins is not a good centre half and that we also miss him up top (even though we scored 3)
Hawkins has done a job there but we cannot keep getting away with him losing his man and being turned so often.
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:23 pm

Johnny H wrote:Desperately need to either get Nartey and Forrester fit or strengthen central defence in early Jan
This game today has again shown that Hawkins is not a good centre half and that we also miss him up top (even though we scored 3)
Hawkins has done a job there but we cannot keep getting away with him losing his man and being turned so often.

To be fair I dont think we had many options today.
Last edited by HU7stag on Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:32 pm

Johnny H wrote:Desperately need to either get Nartey and Forrester fit or strengthen central defence in early Jan

We've won 10 out of 11 and he's played at the back for 9 of them.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:32 pm

We need an out and out goal scorer we dominated the 1st 30mins and should have been 2or 3 up better sides will see the game out after taking the lead .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Hitchcocks size 10s » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:33 pm

Number 1 priority in January is to get John Joe O,Toole signed up on an 18 month contract asap.
Hitchcocks size 10s
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:34 pm

It is VITAL that we strengthen. We have a real chance of automatic promotion and do what Bolton did. If we don’t strengthen then we are condemned as not being that bothered. We can go up but we need depth.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:37 pm

broomo wrote:

That’s because he’s a quality player. Don’t please bore us by defending how he has to be there.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:39 pm

[quote="Billy the fish"]We need an out and out goal scorer we dominated the 1st 30mins and should have been 2or 3 up better sides will see the game out after taking the lead .[/quote

I don’t think we need to buy another goal scorer. We’ve got Hawkins, Oates, Johnson. We need to get Hawkins out of defence, singing a new CH if necessary. I assume a CH is also cheaper than a Striker.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby broomo » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:49 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:

That’s because he’s a quality player. Don’t please bore us by defending how he has to be there.

Any chance of you just letting me post without going off on your stupid personal crusade.

If you can point to any part of my post that is boring you (or "us" as you keep hammering home) or defending why he's there I'll shut up.

Have we won 9 games out of 10 with him playing at the back? Yes or no?

You really are a strangely obsessed little man.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:10 pm

Otoole arrived at the time of the change in form and he's been instrumental in our winning run.
The change of form in Hewitt and Rawson is another factor in the great run.
Hawkins has certainly helped but he's not the only reason.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:20 pm

chip63 wrote:Otoole arrived at the time of the change in form and he's been instrumental in our winning run.
The change of form in Hewitt and Rawson is another factor in the great run.
Hawkins has certainly helped but he's not the only reason.

I'd put the main reason for the uplift squarely with JJ. He's been unreal.

The improvement in Hewitt has also been a major factor.

I wouldn't give Ollie all the credit at all. Just pointing out we have won most of our games with him at the back so it's tough to read someone say he's not good enough to play there.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:33 pm

Experienced players count for a lot of the improvements We didn't have Quinny today so we putt JJ in midfield and it worked a treat. I too would like to see Ollie back up front but needs must as they say.
Anyway Well done Stags and well done to the Monkey Hangers. Great support on a bad day weather wise
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum