{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

FA retrospectively apologise for refereeing error

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

FA retrospectively apologise for refereeing error

Postby Johnny Rotten » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:29 pm

Not a good thing for the FA to do - apologise for the error of one of their esteemed officials.

Exeter City: FA Cup refereeing error 'could cost the club January signings' - Matt Taylor -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59 ... ACJuanwauo

Standards in refereeing are often debated and it's most unusual for the FA not to back their referee such as on this occasion.

It doesn't help the losing side, mind, so it's all very commendable to say sorry but I doubt that makes it all OK.

For us, perhaps, that a side we'd have an eye on in any potential promotion race that it could cost them signings/strengthening, well done to the FA :D
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Re: FA retrospectively apologise for refereeing error

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:42 pm

I saw that goal at the time, and the officials clearly got it wrong. But officials make mistakes every week.

We have also had apologies in the past for refereeing errors. In fact, if you believe Steve Evans, it was quite regularly!

Much more significant in my opinion, is that Sam Nombe, who has been on fire for Exeter, is ruled out for 3 months.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:04 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:I saw that goal at the time, and the officials clearly got it wrong. But officials make mistakes every week.

We have also had apologies in the past for refereeing errors. In fact, if you believe Steve Evans, it was quite regularly!

Much more significant in my opinion, is that Sam Nombe, who has been on fire for Exeter, is ruled out for 3 months.

and of course, it's quite an irony that Taylor is moaning about a refereeing error in Round Two of the FA Cup, when he made an error in Round One, using too many substitutes. You could make a strong argument that they should have been thrown out in Round One. The team and particularly the supporters we should be feeling sorry for are the Bradford ones who were treated disgracefully in my opinion, having to travel back to Exeter.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:10 pm

They've taken in £14m worth of transfer fees in the last 5 or so years, not including sell ons, I think they might pull through.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:54 am

difficult to apologise in advance for an error.
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:58 am

That article is ridiculous. That goal not being disallowed made our player get injured and now we won’t be able to sign anyone. Shut up
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:08 am

Two refereeing errors in the first leg of the play off semi - final against Newport possibly lost us promotion to League 1. These things are part and parcel of the game. No use moaning about it. They need to move on.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:33 am

Decisions going against your team are annoying, but its a mile better than having VAR.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby northern stag » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:40 am

What about about the disallowed goal at the Millenium Stadium, that ended up costing us 5 years in non league?? Did we ever get an apology?
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:51 am

Referees making wrong decisions will always be part of the game, we can only call them out via the media hoping to make improvements and more thought into game changing moments.
In a age of technology we have introduced V.A.R. but so far it leaves a lot to be desired.
But progress has been made Goal Line Technology is spot on.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:59 am

This just highlights to me that other teams get the rub of the green more than others... For them to be moaning about 1 annoying decision that really isn't uncommon tells me that they mustn't be on the receiving end very often!

As others have said there are multiple incidents that we have been on the wrong end of and as a result have become hardened to it - doesn't make it right. One recent one that still annoys me is the Colchester peno in the 95th min after we had dominated the whole game start to finish for the ref to give them an ultra soft-peno to level it up - conspiracy's aside decisions like that are sinister in my opinion as he had no need to give it and he view was poor, the lino didn't flag either I don't think...and the balance of play was so one-sided. Our drop in form happened around the same time after some equally baffling decisions...
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby sunray » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:45 pm

Hard being a ref and having to make the right call every time. Some are better than other and some just have one bad day.

The third official should be in the stand on their own and have radio contact to the ref. Also the assistant referees (lines persons) should be given greater powers and responsiblity to make decisions. Refereeing should be more of a team approach.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby HU7stag » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:10 pm

Can we have an apology after today's refereeing show?!
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Warsop Stag » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:42 pm

The game doesn’t need VAR.

What it needs is respect for officials. Provided decisions are given honestly, that’s the end of the matter.
Warsop Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:11 am

Warsop Stag wrote:The game doesn’t need VAR.

What it needs is respect for officials. Provided decisions are given honestly, that’s the end of the matter.

Trouble is there are cases where they're not. There was a case last week in Scotland where Celtic beat Hearts 1-0 with a goal that was so clearly offside it was ridiculous. It turns out the lino used to be a season ticket holder at Celtic Park. Had they got VAR in the Premiership that would've been disallowed.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum