{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough: Carlisle post match

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nigel Clough: Carlisle post match

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:55 pm

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Nigel Clough: Carlisle post match

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:18 am

Great interview.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:40 am

Great honest interview as always
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:47 am

Where's everyone that usually slates his interview for saying the same thing or telling him he doesn't have a clue?

Well done Nigel, keep it going
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:15 am

We are so lucky to have an honest, straightforward individual in charge. The best manager we could have hoped for and had in a long time.
Thanks Nigel.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:22 am

Sedgwick wrote:Where's everyone that usually slates his interview for saying the same thing or telling him he doesn't have a clue?

When we're winning, no one cares what he says in his pressers.

When we lose every little detail is dissected and analysed for days and days :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:27 am

Sedgwick wrote:Where's everyone that usually slates his interview for saying the same thing or telling him he doesn't have a clue?

Either in hiding waiting for a defeat, or in denial of ever having said anything bad about him!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:10 pm

i never make a comment until i get the facts from Clough the opposing manager and match report from Martin these people have a direct input into the inner workings of the club
Clough always gives a honest assessment
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:41 pm

Rob wrote:

Either in hiding waiting for a defeat, or in denial of ever having said anything bad about him!

Or giving it massive double standards by saying lets wait and see or lets not get ahead of ourselves. Any reasonable person who reads that calmly has to see I make a valid point.

There was no wait and see or lets not get ahead of ourselves during the bad run, that's for sure.

I even see my old mate Johnny H saying he has always supported Clough 100%, blimey with friends like those, who needs enemies eh?

This "shambles of a squad he's assembled" has given themselves every chance of chasing down a play off spot. Saturday again is massive. Win that and it's well and truly game on.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:14 pm

broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:

Or giving it massive double standards by saying lets wait and see or lets not get ahead of ourselves. Any reasonable person who reads that calmly has to see I make a valid point.

There was no wait and see or lets not get ahead of ourselves during the bad run, that's for sure.

I even see my old mate Johnny H saying he has always supported Clough 100%, blimey with friends like those, who needs enemies eh?

This "shambles of a squad he's assembled" has given themselves every chance of chasing down a play off spot. Saturday again is massive. Win that and it's well and truly game on.

Seems pretty reasonable to me Broomo. We went twelve league games without a win. If that is not a valid time to question a manager then I do not know what is.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m not personally getting carried away with our five league wins on the bounce, even though I’m immensely enjoying the change in fortune. I’d like to see our team get a result against the better teams/in form teams in the league. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Clough himself questioned the squad he had built when he said something along the lines of the way to prevent defensive errors was to sign better players. He’s now done that by bringing O’Toole in, who has been excellent.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:32 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:

Seems pretty reasonable to me Broomo. We went twelve league games without a win. If that is not a valid time to question a manager then I do not know what is.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m not personally getting carried away with our five league wins on the bounce, even though I’m immensely enjoying the change in fortune. I’d like to see our team get a result against the better teams/in form teams in the league. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Clough himself questioned the squad he had built when he said something along the lines of the way to prevent defensive errors was to sign better players. He’s now done that by bringing O’Toole in, who has been excellent.

All I ever said was give him time and he'll fix things.

Bringing O'Toole in was one of those steps, he's been MUCH better than I expected.

What got me was folks saying he was clueless and couldn't see what they could see and that he should be fired.

No qualms with people criticising results but couldn't get my head around the fact they couldn't see it was down (in a massive way) to the players we couldn't pick even if we wanted to. The criticism went much further than just results.

We'll probably have another spell where we lose a few as the season progresses, I just hope (but don't take for granted) that now he's shown he can win a large number of games in a short spell will mean those "clueless" and "doesn't know how to put a winning team out" comments will be less visible.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:35 pm

I don’t think folk will be happy until we win at Forest Green Rovers a week on Saturday.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:38 pm

broomo wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:

Bringing O'Toole in was one of those steps, he's been MUCH better than I expected.

What got me was folks saying he was clueless and couldn't see what they could see and that he should be fired.

No qualms with people criticising results but couldn't get my head around the fact they couldn't see it was down (in a massive way) to the players we couldn't pick even if we wanted to. The criticism went much further than just results.

We'll probably have another spell where we lose a few as the season progresses, I just hope (but don't take for granted) that now he's shown he can win a large number of games in a short spell will mean those "clueless" and "doesn't know how to put a winning team out" comments will be less visible.

You did always say he would turn it around, so credit it to you for that.

I wasn’t so sure he would but I’m pleased to see the turn around over the last month or so and that we’re nowhere near as bad as I thought we were going to be at one stage. I didn’t anticipate the impact the return of one player would have (Quinn) and obviously I couldn’t foresee the signing of O’Toole, but even as you say I think it’s fair to say he has outperformed expectations.

I just stop a little short of seeing us as a play-off side just yet. Comfortably mid table, no problem. But these next few weeks could change that.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:39 pm

part time pete wrote:I don’t think folk will be happy until we win at Forest Green Rovers a week on Saturday.

Incredibly tough task. A draw would be a fantastic result.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:09 pm

Bringing in better players is a slow process, players have contracts and a club have a budget,
The long term goal is to improve the squad every transfer window and try to keep our good players, this requires stability and players have to adapt to the clubs planning strategy
as laid out by the Manager in football related matters. This concept can change when a new Manager comes in.
So stability means giving them time to do their job, Settling in, valuate and improve squad, Realistic challenges, 3 years.
Thats why 3 year contracts are popular
Their will be bad times again this season probably, but come May we should be a top ten team, and ready for a promotion push.
Maybe a bit early but maybe play offs this year, certainly no relegation fears
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:26 pm

broomo wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:

Broomo, The manager before Clough was sacked for the same string of results. People, including myself were well within their rights to question Clough. He has now, thankfully, turned it around. But I am not going to bow down to your righteous indignation of the treatment of Nigel during a winless run of 14 games (1 third of a season). He deserved his criticism at the time, as he deserves his plaudits on this good run of form.

Yes we're happier now. But we're still 11th in L2 (nose bleed territory?). Still room for improvement, clearly. That bad run of form has given us a mountain to climb, we're now outsiders, and it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

What are you looking for?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:38 pm

At least we have confidence that even if Clough makes mistakes, and he has, he can turn it around. I didn’t have the same confidence in some other managers recently even if results were similar. Injuries and suspensions played a huge part in the poor run, as did Clough poor transfer window when he had several months to sort the defence out following Naylor’s u-turn. I trust him 99 percent lol which is better than I’ve trusted 99 percent of the other managers we’ve had!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:40 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

When we're winning, no one cares what he says in his pressers.

When we lose every little detail is dissected and analysed for days and days :lol:

I think his eyebrows are too close together, that's a sure sign he's trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:05 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:At least we have confidence that even if Clough makes mistakes, and he has, he can turn it around. I didn’t have the same confidence in some other managers recently even if results were similar. Injuries and suspensions played a huge part in the poor run, as did Clough poor transfer window when he had several months to sort the defence out following Naylor’s u-turn. I trust him 99 percent lol which is better than I’ve trusted 99 percent of the other managers we’ve had!!!

Thinking about our transfer window when Naylor bailed Clough said i would rather have a forward anyway.
Having Perch, Rawson, Hewitt, Nartey, Forrester on his radar plus Piergianni, He paid a transfer fee for Hawkins and the wage budget would be similar.
But then Perch , Nartey, got long time injuries, and Forrester had a relapse, and Piergianni stayed at oldham.
Losing 4 central defenders left us short. , Rawson, Forrester, Hewitt, Nartey, O"Toole , Hawkins if needed back up to 6 Central Defenders.
And we have a top player in Hawkins
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:09 pm

bear 73 wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:At least we have confidence that even if Clough makes mistakes, and he has, he can turn it around. I didn’t have the same confidence in some other managers recently even if results were similar. Injuries and suspensions played a huge part in the poor run, as did Clough poor transfer window when he had several months to sort the defence out following Naylor’s u-turn. I trust him 99 percent lol which is better than I’ve trusted 99 percent of the other managers we’ve had!!!

Thinking about our transfer window when Naylor bailed Clough said i would rather have a forward anyway.
Having Perch, Rawson, Hewitt, Nartey, Forrester on his radar plus Piergianni, He paid a transfer fee for Hawkins and the wage budget would be similar.
But then Perch , Nartey, got long time injuries, and Forrester had a relapse, and Piergianni stayed at oldham.
Losing 4 central defenders left us short. , Rawson, Forrester, Hewitt, Nartey, O"Toole , Hawkins if needed back up to 6 Central Defenders.
And we have a top player in Hawkins

I know the board weren’t happy that he had a long time to seek a decent replacement but as you say there are lots of other factors. I like Clough. He suits us, and he’s honest. Hope he stays for a long time because he will bring us success sooner rather than later imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:06 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Broomo, The manager before Clough was sacked for the same string of results. People, including myself were well within their rights to question Clough. He has now, thankfully, turned it around. But I am not going to bow down to your righteous indignation of the treatment of Nigel during a winless run of 14 games (1 third of a season). He deserved his criticism at the time, as he deserves his plaudits on this good run of form.

Yes we're happier now. But we're still 11th in L2 (nose bleed territory?). Still room for improvement, clearly. That bad run of form has given us a mountain to climb, we're now outsiders, and it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

These are my thoughts too.

Broomo, whilst I enjoy your informative posts, what's with your recent posts aiming to divide us? Let's enjoy the recent good form.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:06 pm

Has Stevo stopped doing interviews now?
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:17 pm

wayno cordiniho wrote:Has Stevo stopped doing interviews now?

he has a poorly eye and has been off work for a couple of weeks. He is back at work now.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:18 pm

wayno cordiniho wrote:Has Stevo stopped doing interviews now?

Thought he was still ill.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:40 pm

HU7stag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Broomo, The manager before Clough was sacked for the same string of results. People, including myself were well within their rights to question Clough. He has now, thankfully, turned it around. But I am not going to bow down to your righteous indignation of the treatment of Nigel during a winless run of 14 games (1 third of a season). He deserved his criticism at the time, as he deserves his plaudits on this good run of form.

These are my thoughts too.

Broomo, whilst I enjoy your informative posts, what's with your recent posts aiming to divide us? Let's enjoy the recent good form.

I'm not aiming to divide anyone.

You don't think there was a divide while some were dishing out abuse to the manager 6 weeks ago?

fgs AWC calling my views now righteous indignation. Get a grip, all I'm doing is stating my personal views the same as they were stating theirs.

I can't speak out while they were slating him, now I can't speak out when things are going well? What is that all about?

Divisive, no. Right yes.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum