{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough: Carlisle post match

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Nigel Clough: Carlisle post match

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:56 pm

Righteous indignation is typically a reactive emotion of anger over perceived mistreatment, insult, or malice of another.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:32 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Where's everyone that usually slates his interview for saying the same thing or telling him he doesn't have a clue?

Well done Nigel, keep it going

Either in hiding waiting for a defeat, or in denial of ever having said anything bad about him!

Or giving it massive double standards by saying lets wait and see or lets not get ahead of ourselves. Any reasonable person who reads that calmly has to see I make a valid point.

There was no wait and see or lets not get ahead of ourselves during the bad run, that's for sure.

I even see my old mate Johnny H saying he has always supported Clough 100%, blimey with friends like those, who needs enemies eh?

This "shambles of a squad he's assembled" has given themselves every chance of chasing down a play off spot. Saturday again is massive. Win that and it's well and truly game on.

Seems pretty reasonable to me Broomo. We went twelve league games without a win. If that is not a valid time to question a manager then I do not know what is.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m not personally getting carried away with our five league wins on the bounce, even though I’m immensely enjoying the change in fortune. I’d like to see our team get a result against the better teams/in form teams in the league. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Clough himself questioned the squad he had built when he said something along the lines of the way to prevent defensive errors was to sign better players. He’s now done that by bringing O’Toole in, who has been excellent.
Five league wins on the bounce ?? You seem to forget Sutton away. We are on a run of 2 on the bounce.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:51 pm

ST4GS wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Where's everyone that usually slates his interview for saying the same thing or telling him he doesn't have a clue?

Well done Nigel, keep it going

Either in hiding waiting for a defeat, or in denial of ever having said anything bad about him!

Or giving it massive double standards by saying lets wait and see or lets not get ahead of ourselves. Any reasonable person who reads that calmly has to see I make a valid point.

There was no wait and see or lets not get ahead of ourselves during the bad run, that's for sure.

I even see my old mate Johnny H saying he has always supported Clough 100%, blimey with friends like those, who needs enemies eh?

This "shambles of a squad he's assembled" has given themselves every chance of chasing down a play off spot. Saturday again is massive. Win that and it's well and truly game on.

Seems pretty reasonable to me Broomo. We went twelve league games without a win. If that is not a valid time to question a manager then I do not know what is.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m not personally getting carried away with our five league wins on the bounce, even though I’m immensely enjoying the change in fortune. I’d like to see our team get a result against the better teams/in form teams in the league. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Clough himself questioned the squad he had built when he said something along the lines of the way to prevent defensive errors was to sign better players. He’s now done that by bringing O’Toole in, who has been excellent.
Five league wins on the bounce ?? You seem to forget Sutton away. We are on a run of 2 on the bounce.

Yes, my mistake. Shouldn’t just said 5 league wins.

Ive not forgotten the Sutton game, as it’s the very basis of the point I’m trying to make about not getting carried away.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:57 pm

We've won 5 at home on the bounce in all competitions. 6 undefeated at home in all comps.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:02 pm

gazza1988 wrote:We've won 5 at home on the bounce in all competitions. 6 undefeated at home in all comps.

Come on Gaza, it is only 4 wins at home and 6 undefeated on the bounce.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:25 pm

9th in the last 12 games form table, with 5 wins
7th in the last 10 games form table, with 5 wins
3rd in the last 8 games form table, with 5 wins
2nd in the last 6 games form table, with 5 wins
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:33 pm

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:38 pm

part time pete wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:We've won 5 at home on the bounce in all competitions. 6 undefeated at home in all comps.

Come on Gaza, it is only 4 wins at home and 6 undefeated on the bounce.

Making sure everyone is awake :D.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:19 am

broomo wrote:
HU7stag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Broomo, The manager before Clough was sacked for the same string of results. People, including myself were well within their rights to question Clough. He has now, thankfully, turned it around. But I am not going to bow down to your righteous indignation of the treatment of Nigel during a winless run of 14 games (1 third of a season). He deserved his criticism at the time, as he deserves his plaudits on this good run of form.

Yes we're happier now. But we're still 11th in L2 (nose bleed territory?). Still room for improvement, clearly. That bad run of form has given us a mountain to climb, we're now outsiders, and it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

What are you looking for?

These are my thoughts too.

Broomo, whilst I enjoy your informative posts, what's with your recent posts aiming to divide us? Let's enjoy the recent good form.

I'm not aiming to divide anyone.

You don't think there was a divide while some were dishing out abuse to the manager 6 weeks ago?

fgs AWC calling my views now righteous indignation. Get a grip, all I'm doing is stating my personal views the same as they were stating theirs.

I can't speak out while they were slating him, now I can't speak out when things are going well? What is that all about?

Divisive, no. Right yes.

Wow.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:36 pm

I see we lost 1.2xG to 0.7xG on Tuesday night to Carlisle. :lol:

And the xG league table says we should be 11th and we are in fact 11th.

So all the ups and downs of the XG’s seem to have balanced out with regarding the stags.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:38 pm

I've transcribed this for the latest news archive as it's not appeared anywhere else:

George Lapslie told Mansfield 103.2 after the Carlisle game:

"We're getting on it and passing it. I think we did that for about half an hour in the game. They switched to the diamond, which gave us a few problems. But hopefully we'll get back on it on Saturday.

"With our formations (3 at the back / 4 at the back), I don't think you can pin a performance down to a formation. It's just the fundamentals of the game, you've got to run hard, you've got to get on the ball, you've got to want the ball, you've got to tackle. I can't say the formations have affected me much."

on the fans:

"I can highlight a moment, 85th minute, our backs are to the wall, and they're screaming `yellows` and you just think `come on, we've got 5 minutes to get through this`, and then the 5 minute board goes up and you think `ugh, we've got another 5 minutes of this`. But they're there backing us. We're thankful for them."

Talking about the Doncaster game:

on the disallowed goal: "I was onside. When Quinny flicked it, he was 50/50 - so I don't know. I could have had a hat-trick when Maris flashed it across the goal, I could have got a goal there."

on the goal of the round: "I've seen that. I'd imagine the Mansfield fans got behind me so thank you for that. It was 39%, and then 38% for the Chesterfield guy, so I'm thankful for that, thank you."
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:57 pm

I like Lapslie. I think we'll end up selling him for a good fee in a few years.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum