{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

FAC3: Middlesbrough at home, 12.15 kick-off

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Who do we want next? Middlesbrough at home

Postby Richard Cranium » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:06 pm

raspberry draw. Only positive is they might sell out the away end but they couldn't manage that when they were a Prem side in 2008 and that was round 4 so not sure why they would this time round. Meh nevermind, will settle for a big day out at Wembley in May.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:07 pm

adamstag wrote:Whereas i personally am quite disappointed at least it’s at home, away would have been a nightmare.

Also, remembering back to the last time we played them, the season we went down, the season we still had him, the season where it was just a disaster, look at where we are as a club off the field at least.

We can look on and be happy with what we’ve got.

And thank god they've got not Robert Huth and David Wheater in defence :lol:

I'm sure one of them nearly took Micky Bouldings head off that game.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:13 pm

Its a good draw with a average 20000 home gate they should fill the away end, and we get to play a team in the championship and we get our home draw.
Wilder will not take Mansfield lightly he knows Clough, it should be a big occasion and is winnable
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:17 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
part time pete wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
part time pete wrote:I doubt there will be 5000 home fans, who could all fit in the West Stand. ;)

Instead of worrying about that Pete how about ya mates abusive vitriol on another thread, I hope your moderating isn't inconsistent???

Not sure what you are on about, press the report button on the post if you want a post bringing to the attention of the mods.

So "jebend", "rissole" and "bellendousness" calling the same poster is not abuse.
You got one eye shut cos its your friend.

Terms like that don't bother me one iota but when you gave me a final warning for using "condescending", "idiotic" and "dog doo" I think you are very selective of your warnings.
Perhaps step down as a mod if you can't be consistent??

I notice you never brought this up when Private Dunno and his chums were calling me the same eh, now did you? It bother me not a jot what they call me, as they are just like ticks on a dog
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:24 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
part time pete wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
part time pete wrote:I doubt there will be 5000 home fans, who could all fit in the West Stand. ;)

Instead of worrying about that Pete how about ya mates abusive vitriol on another thread, I hope your moderating isn't inconsistent???

Not sure what you are on about, press the report button on the post if you want a post bringing to the attention of the mods.

So "jebend", "rissole" and "bellendousness" calling the same poster is not abuse.
You got one eye shut cos its your friend.

Terms like that don't bother me one iota but when you gave me a final warning for using "condescending", "idiotic" and "dog doo" I think you are very selective of your warnings.
Perhaps step down as a mod if you can't be consistent??

I notice you never brought this up when Private Dunno and his chums were calling me the same eh, now did you? It bother me not a jot what they call me, as they are just like ticks on a dog

I have no problem with you Mark or your opinions and terms used but at that time I hadn't had a ridiculous warning from a mod who just happens to be your friend, just making sure he's consistent ;)
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:29 pm

part time pete wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
part time pete wrote:Do you think we will open the QLE for the Middlesbrough game ;) .

Don’t understand this comment

There have been previous home cup games were we have not open the QLE, but as you don’t visit Field Mill very often you would not realise this. ;)

With everyone saying it is a crap draw and hinting they could not care less about attending then why should the club spend money on stewards if the home crowd might be low.

If you could name me a FA Cup third round tie that the QLE hasn’t been opened, I’d be surprised. Last home game I got to was Rochdale and I reckon the Boro game would be a couple of thousand more than that so I think your comment is bonk.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:31 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
part time pete wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
part time pete wrote:Do you think we will open the QLE for the Middlesbrough game.

Don’t understand this comment

There have been previous home cup games were we have not open the QLE, but as you don’t visit Field Mill very often you would not realise this. ;)

With everyone saying it is a crap draw and hinting they could not care less about attending then why should the club spend money on stewards if the home crowd might be low.

If you could name me a FA Cup third round tie that the QLE hasn’t been opened, I’d be surprised. Last home game I got to was Rochdale and I reckon the Boro game would be a couple of thousand more than that so I think your comment is bonk.

Open against Liverpool :lol: :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:37 pm

bear 73 wrote:Its a good draw with a average 20000 home gate they should fill the away end, and we get to play a team in the championship and we get our home draw.
Wilder will not take Mansfield lightly he knows Clough, it should be a big occasion and is winnable
Reminds me of the third round draw we got v Burnley which was underwhelming but the crowd we got that day was around 8000.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:46 pm

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:58 pm

ST4GS wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Its a good draw with a average 20000 home gate they should fill the away end, and we get to play a team in the championship and we get our home draw.
Reminds me of the third round draw we got v Burnley which was underwhelming but the crowd we got that day was around 8000.

Was that the game Brian Jensen got one of our players sent off?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Re: Who do we want next?

Postby part time pete » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:59 pm

Marky Mark wrote:Can we please not put the ball number in the thread title please? I like to be as surprised as anyone when our name is read out. It’s been like an episode of the Likely Lads ever since it was decided that plastering the numbers everywhere was a thing. Whoever decided to do it also calls the the 5th round the ‘round of 16’
Grump grump grump

We will be number 13 in fourth round, Mark :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:08 pm

yaxhamstag wrote:
ian23 wrote:Would they put lower league team away to a big team on TV?? Not convinced by liv v Shrewsbury or Chelsea v Chesterfield to be honest, that said more chance of Yeovil, kiddy, Swindon and United v villa than us

Spot on. No chance of Chelsea Spireites being on TV. One sided. If Cheats were at home, then defo. Same with Liverpool Shrewsbury.

I don’t think it’s a bad draw. I’m sure we all wanted David Seaman to say 25 or 26 rather than 27, but Middlesboro won’t be too chuffed having to come to us. Once the initial disappointment has subsided, we’ll start to get excited about the real possibility of the fourth round and the Mill will be rocking….

They are already counting the TV money over on Blobs Bored. I think their tie has much more chance of being on TV than ours, despite the hoof ball they displayed in the last round.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:43 pm

Why would Chelski v the sheep be on TV. It'd be a bore. The sheep have no chance. Had it been at the Dip then maybe.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:45 pm

Spiritater wrote:Why would Chelski v the sheep be on TV. It'd be a bore. The sheep have no chance. Had it been at the Dip then maybe.

.even if that game isn't on the telly I don't think we'll get on. I think Kiddy Vs Reading will be nailed on and Swindon Vs City
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:21 pm

At least, if we were going to get a Championship side, it is a home tie.
It is definitely winnable if we have most of our players available.
Since Wilder has taken over they have only had 4 matches ( drawn 1, lost 1, won 2) and have 5 to play before the cup match Stoke A, Bournemouth and Forest H, then Blackpool and Sheff Utd A. Not the easiest of runs and could leave them still in mid table. Their priority has to be the league, so Wilder could put out a second string which is not uncommon anyway.
Last edited by halifaxstag on Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:21 pm

You can guarantee 100% that one of them will show Man Utd v Aston Villa because the BBC or ITV don't usually get to show Utd on live, so they'll manage to squeeze that one in you watch, probably prime time on the Saturday.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:29 pm

Dan wrote:You can guarantee 100% that one of them will show Man Utd v Aston Villa because the BBC or ITV don't usually get to show Utd on live, so they'll manage to squeeze that one in you watch, probably prime time on the Saturday.

Watch them put Leeds Vs West ham on TV too :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:42 pm

Dan wrote:You can guarantee 100% that one of them will show Man Utd v Aston Villa because the BBC or ITV don't usually get to show Utd on live, so they'll manage to squeeze that one in you watch, probably prime time on the Saturday.

Sam Matterface said on commentary tonight that Man Utd vs Aston Villa was the tie of the round. I was shouting at the TV: oh yes Man Utd reserves vs Aston Villa reserves, I must watch that one.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:13 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

Sam Matterface said on commentary tonight that Man Utd vs Aston Villa was the tie of the round. I was shouting at the TV: oh yes Man Utd reserves vs Aston Villa reserves, I must watch that one.

I heard that too mate and it wasn’t just the once he said it either. Idiot.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:21 am

Wilder will want to get back into the prem ASAP. It wouldn't surprise me if he puts a few of their best players on the bench for this one. He knows he has no chance of winning the FA Cup.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:34 am

We’ve beaten Sunderland and Newcastle in the last few weeks. It’s karma that we’d get the Smoggies so we can beat all three NE teams in the same season.

It’s not as good as Chelsea away but it’s a better chance of going to Round 4.

Still waiting for evidence of the QLE being closed for a FA Cup 3rd Round tie mine.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:40 am

TV games are generally small club at home to big club in round 3, so unlikely Cheats or Shrewsbury away to top Prem teams will be on.

Assuming 6 games are shown as in round 2, and allowing for one of those being United v Steven Gerrard's Aston Villa, the only ones that stand out are :
Yeovil v Bournemouth
Kidderminster v Reading
Swindon v Man City

Other than that I think it will be a choice of Forest v Arsenal, Port Vale v Brentford, and Stags v Middlesborough.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:14 am

They did mention on t'commo last night, 'Yes and Mansfield v Middlesbrough sounds interesting too'.

The Clough factor may help TV think about it.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:20 am

I see the Monkey Hangers are still in so we will have them in Round 4.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:35 am

I’m fairly happy with the draw. Yes it could of been better but there again a lot worse.

I expect them to sell their allocation and Stags to have a good backing .
Does anybody recall the time we played Middlesbrough when their fans invaded the pitch. Think it was an FA cup tie too ?
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum