{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Donny FA Cup Scorefred Sponsored by Nothing To Fear

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Donny FA Cup Scorefred Sponsored by Nothing To Fear

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:42 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Broomo, I've said a few of those before. Let's address them. I am aware that not all of them are aimed at me though

Poor tactics.

They were poor, we we're clearly shoehorning players into a preferred formation and whilst it worked on our left, our right was frequently left woefully exposed, I suggested that a midfield 5 would suit us in a back 3 or 4-5-1 and was laughed at. Well I'd say I was correct. Get Clarke or whoever is at RCM in the diamond to protect the full back then it'll work.

Poor team selection.

I said this, along with Gordon isn't a right back and you play your best players in their best postitions. If out of position you play your experienced players out of position. I said Hewitt is best at RB or RCB in a back 3. RWB he's decent but that's 3rd on his list of positions for me. We'd got wingers at both full back positions, RB at CB. Hawkins, O'Tooloe and McLaughlin are all experienced players. Hawkins said he enjoys playing CB before he joined so I'm happy for him to cover there. O'Toole is a midfielder who dropped back into defence, this is not unheard of in football. Macca, I was unsure of but he's grown on me and saw him as a temporary replacement but he's been nothing short of a relevation there. My issue was there was more "natural" players on the bench or elsewhere on the pitch for some games we lost. No surprise to me that playing you're best available players in their best positions yield favourable results.

He's clueless.

I don't think I ever called him that. You don't have a career like Nigel has by being clueless

Terrible man management.

I said this, I still stand by my assertion that publicly questioning his professional integrity immediately after the game was uncalled for especially when through most of the game he was on his own vs 2 players.

Just as bad as Dempster and Coughlan.

The results were very similar to Dempster and Coughlan

Rubbish last 2 transfer windows.

They weren't great though were they, defensively?

If I remember correctly you were having a pop at me for suggesting we needed more CB when the season started. We signed 2. I suggested we needed another after the injury to Nartey and Forrester still not back. We signed O'Toole. Then we had an upturn in form.

Good post.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:09 pm

Rubbish post.

We win yesterday with Bowery and Lapslie at wing back.

Gazza goes on and on (and on) about playing players out of position.

The simple fact is we were missing too many of our better players too often.

As soon as we got some of them back we started winning. It's not rocket science.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:45 pm

broomo wrote:Rubbish post.

As soon as we got some of them back we started winning. It's not rocket science.

So we started with Lapslie and Bowery as wing backs? I thought we had Hewitt at RB and Macca at LB.

Or did we lose Macca at half time which forced the change?

When it's forced I have no issue with it, which I've said before but it's easy to criticise if you ignore it. Burke was on the bench and he's not impressed enough when he's been brought on in my opinion.

We are missing players, but playing so many players in their backup position from the get go doesn't work either. He stopped doing it and stuck to playing players in positions they are 100% comfortable with and we've hit form. It's not rocket science.

Basically you said he'd turned it round, I just said how he could do it. You said the answer and I showed my working out :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:30 pm

The third goal was just analysed on the FA Cup Match of the Day. They said it wouldn’t have been out of place at the Nou Camp or something like that.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:50 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

So we started with Lapslie and Bowery as wing backs? I thought we had Hewitt at RB and Macca at LB.

When it's forced I have no issue with it, which I've said before but it's easy to criticise if you ignore it. Burke was on the bench and he's not impressed enough when he's been brought on in my opinion.

We are missing players, but playing so many players in their backup position from the get go doesn't work either. He stopped doing it and stuck to playing players in positions they are 100% comfortable with and we've hit form. It's not rocket science.

Basically you said he'd turned it round, I just said how he could do it. You said the answer and I showed my working out :lol:

What are you doing on here Donny needs you, we will stick with Clough
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:08 pm

bear 73 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

W.T.F?
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:20 pm

bear 73 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Sorry, you'll have to explain that one?

I'm on here because I'm a stags fan and a moderator. What do Donny need me for? When did I say to change Clough?

I'm genuinely confused.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:23 pm

bear 73 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Confusing
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:30 pm

More unintelligible gibbering

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:45 am

It's not that confusing.

He's basically saying Gazza knows so much about football, having worked out how to fix our problems, he should be a manager. Donny need a manager.

If Gazza had his way and Nigel listened to him and simply played players in their natural position we wouldn't be 15th.

Doesn't matter that most of those choices were forced through injury or suspension.

By the way, we were 1 down before the forced change on Saturday.

Players play slightly out of position for clubs up and down the country week in week out but one poster is so fixated on it he's turned that into the root of our problems and pretty much ignored the injury list.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:04 am

So what's with sticking with Clough? I've not suggested he leave.

I've no interest in being Donny manager.

"most" of the choices were force through injury and suspension. Yeah the ones that were forced I think you'll find I didn't complain about. Just the ones where there were better roptions, in my opinion.

If I had my way we possibly might not be 15th. Who knows. Could be top, could be rock bottom. Although having said that form has picked up recently, when my opinions have manifestedin the squad selection.

We were 1-0 down, this is true, not sure what relevance that has to what I've said. It was a goal against the run of play. They happen in football. There's no foolproof plan in football, no guarantee of victory. I've not watched the game, but from what I can gather we had all the play but they hit us with a sucker punch.

I'm well aware players play out of position up and down the country, you're trying to turn it into me saying players have 1 position and 1 position only. Not saying that at all. I'm saying they have 1 position they are best at, then with experience they are better at moving positions.

It's not the root cause of our problems but it's certainly not helped. We still have a decent injury list. We aren't out of the woods yet in that regard. We've had players on it and off it all season (except Perch, obviously) injuries happen in football, I thought you'd know this, but teams manage.

At the end of the day this is a forum for people to voice their opinions, I voiced mine. They have been shown (so far) to be valid opinions so I don't know what yourself and bear's issue is.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:35 am

Non Stags tag team

Funny.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:15 am

It appears to me that Clough’s policy on team selection is that he has a list of players in order who he thinks are his best out field players.

The top ten available out field players start the game and he positions them into the best fit position wise.

His position is that good players can play most positions on the field.

Look at Maris on Saturday, everyone used to say he was our best holding midfielder but on Saturday he was excellent in a more advanced position.

Also the subs have a ranking like on Saturday, Bowery a higher ranking than Burke so Jordan came on and he fitted into a different system. I am sure on Saturday if Macca would not have been injured Bowery wouldn’t have played left wing back.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:15 am

« Reply #13 on December 04, 2021, 11:24:35 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Credit to the Stags fans. Sounded like they enjoyed their day out judging on their forum comments and from what i saw during the match.

Impressive turnout and second half in particular i thought they rocked the place. Putting us dummies in our places. In some odd way i actually felt pleased for them as experiencing emotions and an atmosphere like that at our level is a very rare event indeed. Was a joy to see.

Shame about the melt who chucked the flare but of course, you always get some arsehole.

Fully merited win and a great day out for some at least. :(
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:07 am

Can people still not tell the difference between flares and smoke bombs? :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:08 pm

I started watching the Donny Blog, but cannot see the link now. Can anyone advise me where to look please?
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:16 pm

Monday now moving onto the 3rd round draw and a league match on tuesday.
gazza1988 here his were i stand in these turbulent time i can understand the Radfords wanting stability, i like the way David Sharpe does his job quietly and efficiently.
I trust the management and his staff to take the club forward.
Now i assume you have spent many years like Clough around professional football and in the dark corners of the game, before telling Clough what he is doing wrong.
Poor Tactics, Poor Team Selection, Terrible Man Management, He is no better than Dempster and Coughlan Rubbish in transfer windows.
The audacity in my humble opinion of this post, giving advice to a legend has a footballer and Manager lead to my sarcastic comment.
i thought it was taking a opinion to far
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:20 pm

bellwhiff wrote:More unintelligible gibbering

Cannot reply to this it is not football related
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:37 pm

bear 73 wrote:Monday now moving onto the 3rd round draw and a league match on tuesday.
gazza1988 here his were i stand in these turbulent time i can understand the Radfords wanting stability, i like the way David Sharpe does his job quietly and efficiently.
Now i assume you have spent many years like Clough around professional football and in the dark corners of the game, before telling Clough what he is doing wrong.
Poor Tactics, Poor Team Selection, Terrible Man Management, He is no better than Dempster and Coughlan Rubbish in transfer windows.
The audacity in my humble opinion of this post, giving advice to a legend has a footballer and Manager lead to my sarcastic comment.

I've not told Clough what he's doing wrong, never spoke to the bloke. I voiced my opinion on a message board dude. You're reading way too far into an opinion. Does Clough browse fan message boards? If he doesn't then I've advised him on nothing. He's turned it around himself. The difference is he's turned it around the same way I, in my opinion, said he should do it.

I'm not after his job or anything so don't panic.

Funny you don't deride people when they pick an XI on the match thread. Is that not the same as what you're having a pop at me for? Telling Clough who he should pick and what formation?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:40 pm

gazza1988 wrote:So what's with sticking with Clough? I've not suggested he leave.

I've no interest in being Donny manager.

"most" of the choices were force through injury and suspension. Yeah the ones that were forced I think you'll find I didn't complain about. Just the ones where there were better roptions, in my opinion.

If I had my way we possibly might not be 15th. Who knows. Could be top, could be rock bottom. Although having said that form has picked up recently, when my opinions have manifestedin the squad selection.

We were 1-0 down, this is true, not sure what relevance that has to what I've said. It was a goal against the run of play. They happen in football. There's no foolproof plan in football, no guarantee of victory. I've not watched the game, but from what I can gather we had all the play but they hit us with a sucker punch.

I'm well aware players play out of position up and down the country, you're trying to turn it into me saying players have 1 position and 1 position only. Not saying that at all. I'm saying they have 1 position they are best at, then with experience they are better at moving positions.

It's not the root cause of our problems but it's certainly not helped. We still have a decent injury list. We aren't out of the woods yet in that regard. We've had players on it and off it all season (except Perch, obviously) injuries happen in football, I thought you'd know this, but teams manage.

At the end of the day this is a forum for people to voice their opinions, I voiced mine. They have been shown (so far) to be valid opinions so I don't know what yourself and bear's issue is.

Which inexperienced player has been played out of position?

No issue as such, just observations.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:02 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Monday now moving onto the 3rd round draw and a league match on tuesday.

I've not told Clough what he's doing wrong, never spoke to the bloke. I voiced my opinion on a message board dude. You're reading way too far into an opinion. Does Clough browse fan message boards? If he doesn't then I've advised him on nothing. He's turned it around himself. The difference is he's turned it around the same way I, in my opinion, said he should do it.

Funny you don't deride people when they pick an XI on the match thread. Is that not the same as what you're having a pop at me for? Telling Clough who he should pick and what formation?

I don't agree gazza, results have turned around because we have our best players fit, it's as simple as that. Clough said during our bad run results will improve when injuries reduce, that's exactly what has happened. Any tactical changes have been made possible because we have more players to choose from.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:03 pm

Harry Charsley and Kellan Gordon.come to mind.

It's time for me to get back to work. But that's been our right hand side. For decent amount of games. Charsley more so than Gordon (obviously) but we've put the experienced right back at right back and we've done well. We've put centre halves at centre half and we've done well. It's no surprise to me.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:10 pm

Rob wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

I don't agree gazza, results have turned around because we have our best players fit, it's as simple as that. Clough said during our bad run results will improve when injuries reduce, that's exactly what has happened. Any tactical changes have been made possible because we have more players to choose from.

You see it was a long list of injuries and I did shut up when it was really bad even defending some team selections. Or when change was needed but didn't have the personnel to change it effectively.

Said since the window slammed shut we needed another centre half. He got one. So tell me. How many times, in the league, has it been impossible to play Hewitt at RB, select 2 centre halves (I include O'Toole and Hawkins in that) and Macca at left back?

Don't forget Hawkins and DJ have been very recent additions to the injured and can't play list so we wouldn't be weakening up front.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:44 pm

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:59 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Harry Charsley and Kellan Gordon.come to mind.

It's time for me to get back to work. But that's been our right hand side. For decent amount of games. Charsley more so than Gordon (obviously) but we've put the experienced right back at right back and we've done well. We've put centre halves at centre half and we've done well. It's no surprise to me.

So 2 inexperienced players out of position all season then?

Gordon has started 6 games and come on as sub in another 2.

For 5 of those games Charsley wasn't even in the squad, once was an unused sub, in the other 2 Gordon came on in the 86th minute and the 63rd minute.

I'm trying not to have a go but as I've said before, I think you're seeing a much bigger issue than actually exists.
broomo
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum