{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stags unlikely to make changes in the January window

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stags unlikely to make changes in the January window

Postby Chadman » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:24 pm

Nigel Clough said today that if his injury list continues to clear up, he is not a fan of the January window and is unlikely to make any big moves as he is happy with the squad he assembled in the summer.

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/q ... in-3467298
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Re: Stags unlikely to make changes in the January window

Postby Laney_MTFC » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:27 pm

had injuries all season, i think not getting a couple in for cover at least could see us in the same mess we were a few weeks ago, especially we lose quinn again, we depend on him far too much.
Laney_MTFC
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:42 pm

be nice to get some real pace in as an option in January
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:48 pm

Agree. A bit of pace is all I'd push for.

When fit our squad size is good. Disruption got place competition could disrupt things. Suppose it depends how we are in January
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:23 pm

Right winger a priority for me. Would be nice to get a natural, out and out right sider in the squad with a bit of pace as mentioned above.

We had a similar situation to this last year though where we had a good run and thought we didn’t need to do much in the window and it didn’t work out. Granted this year we have a better squad, but a couple of good additions would benefit us particularly with our record of picking up injuries
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:30 pm

Agree on the bit of pace in the side. That wouldn't go a miss.

I don't think we'll spend just for the sake of spending but if we could get a couple more quality players I think it can push us on for the second half of the season.

Does Forrester's loan end in Jan, or was that Narteys? I would replace whichever one or extend the loans. I think a wide player with some pace would help us too
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:40 pm

Id expect two/ three good players coming in.

Can see why hes not a fan of the window though, hardly the time to get who you really want.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:46 pm

I can't see us not bringing anybody in despite what Clough has said in this article. One of the biggest changes I've seen in the club since Nigel arrived is the way we conduct our transfer business in that nothing seems to be leaked anymore.

He likes to keep his cards very close to his chest and he will do the same in January. I think him saying this now is to keep the media clamour away from him and the club.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:50 pm

Stoney wrote:I can't see us not bringing anybody in despite what Clough has said in this article. One of the biggest changes I've seen in the club since Nigel arrived is the way we conduct our transfer business in that nothing seems to be leaked anymore.

He likes to keep his cards very close to his chest and he will do the same in January. I think him saying this now is to keep the media clamour away from him and the club.

Yes that's how I see it too. If the right players are available he'll sign them, even if it's an initial loan.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:14 pm

Rob wrote:
Stoney wrote:I can't see us not bringing anybody in despite what Clough has said in this article. One of the biggest changes I've seen in the club since Nigel arrived is the way we conduct our transfer business in that nothing seems to be leaked anymore.

Yes that's how I see it too. If the right players are available he'll sign them, even if it's an initial loan.

If we let Burke out on loan I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us go for Kieran Wallace.

He's just back from injury and has gone out on a months loan.

Very solid anywhere along the left hand side or in central midfield and we're a bit short on lefties if anything happened to Macca.

Local lad who Nigel knows he can trust.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:52 pm

We’ve had a weakened team because of injuries. We are on the cusp of a hat trick of poor windows. Let’s get it sorted and provide some depth
Last edited by bellwhiff on Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:58 pm

bellwhiff wrote:We’ve had a weekend team because of injuries. We are on the cusp of a hat trick of poor windows. Let’s get it sorted and provide some depth

Who from the first window was a bad signing?

Who from the 2nd window was a bad signing?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:00 pm

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:We’ve had a weekend team because of injuries. We are on the cusp of a hat trick of poor windows. Let’s get it sorted and provide some depth

Nartey. Forrester. Next ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:10 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:

Nartey. Forrester. Next ?

Both injured and you're seen neither play and probably wont. But do continue to comment how good of a signing they both are :roll:

conveniently miss out the first question also... Who from the first window was a bad signing?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:21 pm

Sarkic was a woeful signing from the first window.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:28 pm

100% got to sign someone to play on the right hand side, preferably someone with some pace who can run with the ball and is tricky. Charsley works hard to his credit but isn’t fast, isn’t tricky, lacks creativity, doesn’t score goals and is a poor crosser. The formation we’re currently rolling with would be even better if we had someone with more ability in Charsley’s position.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:36 pm

lifestags wrote:Sarkic was a woeful signing from the first window.

There you go Sedgwick.

I’ve only not seen them not play because they’ve not played. Come Saturday I’ll have seen three of the last four games and not seen them play. Sort of proves my point, clever trousers. Back to being a fluffer eh.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:44 pm

I said it at the time and I’ll say it again, I don’t see how you can say someone is a bad signing because they got injured whilst they’re here. It’s just bad luck.

That’s completely different to signing someone who was injured, such as Forrester, which was a very strange move.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:49 pm

Perfectly sensible approach.

It allows him to select decent players and not be on the back foot in negotiations with agents who think we are desperate and under pressure to sign players to meet expectations at the last minute.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby lifestags » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:09 pm

It’s not bad luck when the player you signed had a history of being injured. (Sarkic)
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:14 pm

lifestags wrote:It’s not bad luck when the player you signed had a history of being injured. (Sarkic)

Pretty much every player has a history of being injured at some point. He made 37 appearances the season before we signed him.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:18 pm

lifestags wrote:Sarkic was a woeful signing from the first window.

Stephen Quinn was pretty good.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:22 pm

NEStag wrote:Perfectly sensible approach. It allows him to select decent players and not be on the back foot in negotiations with agents who think we are desperate and under pressure to sign players to meet expectations at the last minute.

I bet we still make a last minute signing. :lol:

To be fair, a decent player on your target list may become available at the last minute because another club makes a last minute signing which has a knock on effect.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:25 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I said it at the time and I’ll say it again, I don’t see how you can say someone is a bad signing because they got injured whilst they’re here. It’s just bad luck.

That’s completely different to signing someone who was injured, such as Forrester, which was a very strange move.

He was only due to be out for ten days when we signed him. He was also signed last minute when other deals fell through which were not, as you know, our fault. Completely understandable signing and bad luck he had a further injury setback after we signed him. Belly is talking utter garbage, our signings have been pretty much excellent, probably the only one that is taking time to impress is Johnson. My only gripe with our transfer dealings was in the first Clough transfer window when we let Cooke and Maynard go and did not sign a replacement, that was a mistake though I don't think it cost us anything. This season we have just been hit with horrendous luck and some ill discipline. Quinn is one of the best signings we've made in a long, long time. Hawkins, Hewitt, Oates, Stirk and Bishop are also proving to be good signings and the signing of O'Toole was also shrewd business.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:37 am

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I said it at the time and I’ll say it again, I don’t see how you can say someone is a bad signing because they got injured whilst they’re here. It’s just bad luck.

He was only due to be out for ten days when we signed him. He was also signed last minute when other deals fell through which were not, as you know, our fault. Completely understandable signing and bad luck he had a further injury setback after we signed him. Belly is talking utter garbage, our signings have been pretty much excellent, probably the only one that is taking time to impress is Johnson. My only gripe with our transfer dealings was in the first Clough transfer window when we let Cooke and Maynard go and did not sign a replacement, that was a mistake though I don't think it cost us anything. This season we have just been hit with horrendous luck and some ill discipline. Quinn is one of the best signings we've made in a long, long time. Hawkins, Hewitt, Oates, Stirk and Bishop are also proving to be good signings and the signing of O'Toole was also shrewd business.

I just think to sign an injured player is not a good look. Of course we expected him to be back quicker, but it just wasn’t what was needed at the time.

Signings wise I would say Hewitt and Oates have had at least as many bad games as good. They still have a lot to prove in my book, but are heading in the right direction, particularly with Oates. Burke, whilst only signed as a back up, looks short of being a capable back up on the evidence we’ve seen so far. Johnson has been disappointing, but was another who was beginning to look a bit more like it before his unfortunate injury.

I’m obviously enjoying the recent upturn in performances/results, but it’s not lost on me that the wins in the league have come against teams struggling in the table or in bad form, and therefore I’m cautious not to get too carried away. Nevertheless, it’s reassuring that we’re now at least capable of beating the poorer sides as even that was a struggle a month or so ago. The key, as I said on another thread, is Stephen Quinn, and it’s a concern to read that he picked up a knock on Saturday. Without him, or even if his form drops off as would be entitled given his age, I can still see that we may struggle.

Sutton will be a tough test. Their attackers are particularly lively, which worries me a little with Hawkins and O’Toole at the back.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum