{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sutton Scorefred sponsored by BEERMEN 5.0: GUINNESS

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Sutton Scorefred sponsored by BEERMEN 5.0: GUINNESS

Postby zod » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:20 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
I think we need an Evening With event again to lay down some grievances and clear the air because the limited progress we seem to make is so readily unpicked.

I don't see how criticising the manager publicly is going to help things. I don't think he set out to lose the game last night and if you could do better you'd be doing his job.

We need to keep picking up points and building from there. It's not an overnight success story.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby NEStag » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:55 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:It's not easy supporting Mansfield. Last night was one of the worst performances. It wasn't that we were 'awful' and riddled with mistakes, but we just did nothing for 90 minutes. Everyman was invisible. It's unfair to single out Bowery for being poor or Macca for MoM because there was nothing between them as 'best' or 'worst'. The whole team and were very dull.

No one comes out of that with any credit whatsoever.

Clough had done well in recent games but it's performances like that which put him back squarely in the cross-hairs.

I think we need an Evening With event again to lay down some grievances and clear the air because the limited progress we seem to make is so readily unpicked. Need a point at Crawley, and more importantly a performance they can be proud of.

I'd agree with you on the performance - I was there last night and I thought we were quite poor and it just felt flat - low in energy and creativity.

I did think that Sinclair offered us more though when he came on. He missed some chances but at least the ball was heading in the direction of the goal and he looked like he'd create some space and chances to get a shot away even if it didn't go in. His one two with Charsley(?) near the end would have been a good goal if he had scored it but his final shot wasn't up to it.

Felt a bit sorry for Bowery. Although he played that position against Scunthorpe I am not sure the lone striker role suits him well and he struggled last night. I'm not sure he won a header against their centre halves all game and his first touch seemed to desert him again.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:46 pm

We won the game on xG 0.9-1.4 (HT: 0,4-0.6)

Mansfield's high possession jinx also strikes again! (although there was not much decent possession by either side last night)

Highest Possession
Walsall (Away) 60% Lost 3-1
Port Vale (Home) 59% Draw 1-1
Sutton United (Away) Lost 2-0
Bradford City (Home) 57% Lost 3-2
Barrow (Home) 56% Lost 1-0
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:54 pm

I thought last night like many a draw would be a good result, it reminded me of a cup match against a non=league team they were not taking prisoners and hoof ball was popular.
In a very physical game we had 3 yellow cards and all there fowls were o-k and received none.
Hawkins was on a tightrope after 5 minutes, and yes we were bullied, but even so we had chances, Bowery, Stirk, Hawkins, Sinclair had good chances.
In a game were midfield was by passed, Bishop was not busy and the second goal was a gift from Hawkins and shown our lot how to score.
Hawkins is no 20 a season striker, but can do a job upsetting defenders and i think his role in defence is over.
Bowery his time must be over , i dont think their defenders will have had a easier game all season.
Sinclair reminds me off Thierry Henry when he came to the game, he always created chances but the final ball was crap.
Marcus Harness in the lower leagues was the same, had pace full off tricks final ball crap, but suddenly things fell into place and they went on to be very good players.
Fingers crossed for TY.
So this game is over and we move on, I would like O"Toole to play central midfield to protect our back four, with Rawson, Forrester, Nartey, Hewitt our central defenders until January
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:16 pm

zod wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
I think we need an Evening With event again to lay down some grievances and clear the air because the limited progress we seem to make is so readily unpicked.

I don't see how criticising the manager publicly is going to help things. I don't think he set out to lose the game last night and if you could do better you'd be doing his job.

We need to keep picking up points and building from there. It's not an overnight success story.

He may not have set out to lose that game but by starting with a defensive 4-5-1 and sticking with it despite it not working he certainly didn't look like he was playing to win.

I also hate when people say "if you could do it better", that's just a false argument. You can absolutely criticise a managers decisions.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:17 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We won the game on xG 0.9-1.4 (HT: 0,4-0.6)

Mansfield's high possession jinx also strikes again! (although there was not much decent possession by either side last night)

Highest Possession

Sounds silly, but aside from their goals, one we'll worked and the other a poor defensive mistake, there really wasn't a lot to split the sides.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:15 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We won the game on xG 0.9-1.4 (HT: 0,4-0.6 )

Highest Possession

Can we appeal?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:18 pm

NEStag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:It's not easy supporting Mansfield. Last night was one of the worst performances. It wasn't that we were 'awful' and riddled with mistakes, but we just did nothing for 90 minutes. Everyman was invisible. It's unfair to single out Bowery for being poor or Macca for MoM because there was nothing between them as 'best' or 'worst'. The whole team and were very dull.

No one comes out of that with any credit whatsoever.

Clough had done well in recent games but it's performances like that which put him back squarely in the cross-hairs.

I think we need an Evening With event again to lay down some grievances and clear the air because the limited progress we seem to make is so readily unpicked. Need a point at Crawley, and more importantly a performance they can be proud of.

I'd agree with you on the performance - I was there last night and I thought we were quite poor and it just felt flat - low in energy and creativity.

I did think that Sinclair offered us more though when he came on. He missed some chances but at least the ball was heading in the direction of the goal and he looked like he'd create some space and chances to get a shot away even if it didn't go in. His one two with Charsley(?) near the end would have been a good goal if he had scored it but his final shot wasn't up to it.

Felt a bit sorry for Bowery. Although he played that position against Scunthorpe I am not sure the lone striker role suits him well and he struggled last night. I'm not sure he won a header against their centre halves all game and his first touch seemed to desert him again.

Bowery for his size is terrible in the air. Andy White was better
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:08 pm

gazza1988 wrote:If Gordon is fit he needs to replace Charsley. Then we can play down that side more. All our play is mainly down our left through Macca and Quinn.

Agreed, I think Gordon could play that role
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:54 pm

young vanish wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:If Gordon is fit he needs to replace Charsley. Then we can play down that side more. All our play is mainly down our left through Macca and Quinn.

Agreed, I think Gordon could play that role

He may be a better option than Charsley but I don’t think it will change the direction of play. We play down the left because McLaughlin and Quinn are our most technically gifted players. They’re not scared to take a touch and work an opening. That wouldn’t improve with Hewitt and Gordon IMO.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:56 pm

We don't know unless we try. I mean, the bar isn't exactly set high down that side.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:27 pm

gazza1988 wrote:We don't know unless we try. I mean, the bar isn't exactly set high down that side.

You've been quite keen on Gordon on the right wing for a long time now gazza and I'm wondering what it is you see in him that makes you think he'd be better one further up the pitch.

His crossing on the whole is hit and miss at best, poor at worst. He doesn't really show composure when he has time and space in the final third and he rarely gets his head up and picks a pass.

He may have pace and power to get in behind the fullback but not convinced he has the footballing intelligence to know what to do when he gets there.

I'd still probably play him full back for home games where we look to be on the front but think Hewitt edges him in the games we set up to be solid.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:49 pm

His crossing overall is good for league 2 level. He's put the ball into dangerous places, usually just begging for a touch from a striker. As you say he's got decent pace and power. He spends games running up and down that right hand side. His crossing get poorer late in the game because of it.

I don't rate him high enough defensively to be first choice no.2 right back. Backup when needs must then absolutely. Another one signed for a different system. Had Clough not gave him a new contract I believe he would have been released back in the summer after what happened in the months after it was signed.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:50 pm

broomo wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:We don't know unless we try. I mean, the bar isn't exactly set high down that side.

You've been quite keen on Gordon on the right wing for a long time now gazza and I'm wondering what it is you see in him that makes you think he'd be better one further up the pitch.

His crossing on the whole is hit and miss at best, poor at worst. He doesn't really show composure when he has time and space in the final third and he rarely gets his head up and picks a pass.

He may have pace and power to get in behind the fullback but not convinced he has the footballing intelligence to know what to do when he gets there.

I'd still probably play him full back for home games where we look to be on the front but think Hewitt edges him in the games we set up to be solid.

You've said all that about Gordon but when was the last time you saw Charsley go by a full back and get a cross in.
Charsley flatters to deceive massively, runs about a lot, presses well sometimes but does nothing in possession and spends a lot of time on his ass because he's weak as wass
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:37 am

Or because he gets the ball given to him with a man on all the time.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:45 am

lifestags wrote:Or because he gets the ball given to him with a man on all the time.

Good players find that pocket of space or can deal with a pass in a tight space, he's not a good player
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:16 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
broomo wrote:

You've said all that about Gordon but when was the last time you saw Charsley go by a full back and get a cross in.
Charsley flatters to deceive massively, runs about a lot, presses well sometimes but does nothing in possession and spends a lot of time on his ass because he's weak as wass

Charsley doesn’t play like a natural winger because he isn’t one. That’s why he doesn’t beat his man, put crosses in etc.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:22 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
broomo wrote:

Charsley doesn’t play like a natural winger because he isn’t one. That’s why he doesn’t beat his man, put crosses in etc.

I know...I can't fathom out what his role is as he doesn't contribute much.
He's another Fraser MacLachlan, runs about a lot but has no footballing ability
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:31 am

lifestags wrote:Or because he gets the ball given to him with a man on all the time.

I don't fully buy that. As a central midfielder I notice he picks up the ball and then comes inside, realises he's on the wing then cuts back again by which time he's closed down. A winger would have got that ball and immediately tried to beat his man to get to the byline.

We also tend to play the "safe" ball. Whoever is in space even if it means going backwards. Again not all the time but often enough.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:41 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
broomo wrote:

I think that is unfair to liken him to MacLachlan, Charsley is doing what the manager wants him to do and he is very handy when the ball is close to the touchline and space is limited. I would like to see Gordon given a chanxe in that role too.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:44 am

gazza1988 wrote:

I don't fully buy that. As a central midfielder I notice he picks up the ball and then comes inside, realises he's on the wing then cuts back again by which time he's closed down. A winger would have got that ball and immediately tried to beat his man to get to the byline.

We also tend to play the "safe" ball. Whoever is in space even if it means going backwards. Again not all the time but often enough.

Gazza, like me you are wasting your time.

We are were we are because of sub standard players like him, he and others in the team will not get us promotion, you see that, I see that but we are seen as slagging them off when in fact we just want improvement.
I'm sure like me you support them on match day but some posters see them in an Amber shirt and think their ability can't be questioned and yet can't understand why were near the bottom.
Blind Amber Faith springs to mind
Last edited by Parkinsons Perm on Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:49 am

oldweststander wrote:
I think that is unfair to liken him to MacLachlan, Charsley is doing what the manager wants him to do and he is very handy when the ball is close to the touchline and space is limited. I would like to see Gordon given a chanxe in that role too.

That's your opinion and I respect that. As was said earlier he hardly ever gets near the touchline so what "handy" work you see is beyond me.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:54 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
broomo wrote:

I think you have this player so wrong you know, last season he ended up with something like 9 goals and 9 assists (goal involvements) he has been steady this season, he will never get noticed by most stags fans though, for instance he had a cracking game against Port Vale but never seems to get man of the match.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:14 am

lifestags wrote:
I think you have this player so wrong you know, last season he ended up with something like 9 goals and 9 assists (goal involvements) he has been steady this season, he will never get noticed by most stags fans though, for instance he had a cracking game against Port Vale but never seems to get man of the match.

Once again, I respect your opinion but disagree.

Let's face it, if everyone was fit he'd be nowhere near the starting line up and NC himself said the back up ain't been good enough he needs his first teamers back.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:35 am

In a Diamond formation I dont think he would be starting but at present he is pretty much the only player capable of playing out wide on the right :)
lifestags
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum