{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sutton Scorefred sponsored by BEERMEN 5.0: GUINNESS

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Sutton Scorefred sponsored by BEERMEN 5.0: GUINNESS

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:20 pm

That performance was up there with Northampton.

The game was lost after 4 mins. We didn't do anything good all game. Utterly toothless up front and wouldn't have scored if we were still playing tomorrow.

If Clough says he's happy with our squad in January, he's lying. We're miles off anything other than a lower table L2 side.

Abject and really poor.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:21 pm

northern stag wrote:Agree with most of that except we didn’t match them , they harried and bullied us and were sharper in key areas , they were better at the parts of the game that mattered

We tried to play football, they tried to stop us and did. They had pace out wide and got the ball into the box and we didn't deal with it well enough. We tried to play our way, they tried to play their way. They won in every way
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:22 pm

A poor performance by the Stags and a horrible scrappy game with the ball spending a lot of time up in the air. The Stags were bullied in the first 15 minutes and conceded an early goal. It was then a fairly even game but we did not take our chances especially Oli Hawkins and Jordan Bowery in the 1st half and Ryan Stirk and Tyrese Sinclair in the 2nd half. We could have played until Saturday and not scored. Our midfield struggled to get going all night. George Lapslie also did not make an impact as a sub. Poor defending by Oli Hawkins and Ryan Stirk for the 2nd goal. I wish the ref had blown for a free kick because I think O'Toole fouled Oloafe.

The crucial moment was Tyrese Sinclair missing his chance in the 68th minute just before Omar Bugiel scored the second goal. My MOM was Stephen McLaughlin. Tyrese caused a few problems as a sub without scoring but the rest did not come out with much credit especially Jordan Bowery up front.

Now need to win at Crawley to keep our momentum going.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:26 pm

That went well :banghead:
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:27 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:A poor performance by the Stags and a horrible scrappy game with the ball spending a lot of time up in the air. The Stags were bullied in the first 15 minutes and conceded an early goal. It was then a fairly even game but we did not take our chances especially Oli Hawkins and Jordan Bowery in the 1st half and Ryan Stirk and Tyrese Sinclair in the 2nd half. We could have played until Saturday and not scored. Our midfield struggled to get going all night. George Lapslie also did not make an impact as a sub. Poor defending by Oli Hawkins and Ryan Stirk for the 2nd goal. I wish the ref had blown for a free kick because I think O'Toole fouled Oloafe.

The crucial moment was Tyrese Sinclair missing his chance in the 68th minute just before Omar Bugiel scored the second goal. My MOM was Stephen McLaughlin. Tyrese caused a few problems as a sub without scoring but the rest did not come out with much credit especially Jordan Bowery up front.

Now need to win at Crawley to keep our momentum going.

Agree with McLaughlin as man of the match. The clearance off the line in the second half was crucial even if it ultimately made no difference to the result. If that had gone in they could have had 4 or 5.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:29 pm

No away attendance announced. I just asked their chap who seems to do everything here, and he told me: 298. Well done to all those who travelled.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby tmwilson » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:30 pm

I haven't got a problem with the starting eleven. If we had started with Hawkins up front and lost, some would be saying, why change the defence. Too many players went missing. Midfielders were poor. My only criticism of Clough was that like many others have said, he should of replace Bowrey for Hawkins and brought a defender on. One because Bowrey was poor but also that Hawkins was having a bad game in defence. Poor performance all around but I'm sure we all would of taken one defeat in six.
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:33 pm

Oates would of made a massive difference tonight, it showed when Sinclair came on that they struggled against pace.
Since he came on as sub against Northampton he's been our danger man causing problems for any defence.
Let's quickly move on and at least get a draw at Creepy.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:35 pm

I’m not sure what Clough is going to do about Bowery and Charsley, I see effort and endeavour from both, but ultimately very very little in end product, I think the time has come to say thanks to both but to look at other players long term, Sinclair is frustrating but he just might score one day unlike Charsley !
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Showaddywaddy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:44 pm

Well done to the 298 Stags fans, incredible support again.

That performance had all the hallmarks of some of the horror performances of the winless streak. Too many players let their standards drop back to the levels that saw us getting turned over week in week out.

I had a feeling it was going to be ‘one of those nights’ when Hewitt conceding two early free kick for his trademark shove in the back when the player is going nowhere. The second push was the free kick that led to the first goal.

Bowery had a good game on Saturday but the only word to describe his performance tonight is abysmal. I think Martin’s lowest match rating is 4 and on tonight’s showing Jordan will be lucky to get that. He lost almost every aerial dual, his first touch was heavy and his passing was repeatedly misdirected and over hit. The only mitigating circumstances would be if he’s carrying a knock. If that’s the case then I’d have to question why he is starting when we have a better centre forward playing at centre half.

Hawkins and O’Toole both looked uncertain of each other and I don’t think any of the starting 11 can come out of that game with any credit. Sinclair on the other hand, showed great endeavour and looked threatening. Despite coming on as a second half substitute he was clearly our man of the match, which says it all really.

I liked the look of their number 7, Ajiboye. Martin mentioned him a couple of times in commentary, I thought he was quick, powerful and direct and looked dangerous every time he was on the ball.

Let us hope this is a blip and we can put things right on Saturday and make it 6 wins from 7. If Oates isn’t fit for that game I’d like to see Hawkins and Sinclair up front together.
Last edited by Showaddywaddy on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:47 pm

Martian wrote:So for Crawley - Forrester at the back - Hawkins up front - Sinclair for Bowery

That should work. Take one player off and put two on… :roll:
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:00 pm

grufti wrote:Not a single player played OK tonight.

We were abject tonight but Hawkins played well and so did Macca. The rest of them took a wage under false pretences.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:03 pm

Trouble is, even if you shuffle players around, there all of the same average ability. and there's nothing out of the ordinary to provide the spark. As arsene says above, there just a lower midle table side at best,who can put on a performance ,when it suits them.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:22 pm

We played six midfield players tonight (including George Lapslie) and they all struggled to get into the game. Nigel Clough had a go at George Maris but I thought he and Quinn were our best midfield players in the first half although they were not at their best. Ryan Stirk, Ollie Clarke and Harry Charsley were not in the game. Quinn then came off at half time and Maris was subbed. Clarke and Stirk improved a little in the 2nd half but they were still poor overall. Lapslie also made no impact.

We need to send Keaton Ward and Jason Law out on loan in January which Nigel Clough said was very likely at the start of the season. We can then sign a couple more decent midfield players as back up so we have proper competition for places and good cover for injuries. We need another main ball player to challenge George Maris. I'm not sure Ryan Stirk is the answer. We also need someone better than Charsley to play on the right. I suppose Nigel Clough might say that O'Toole could also play in midfield if necessary.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:25 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We played six midfield players tonight (including George Lapslie) and they all struggled to get into the game. Nigel Clough had a go at George Maris but I thought he and Quinn were our best midfield players in the first half although they were not at their best. Ryan Stirk, Ollie Clarke and Harry Charsley were not in the game. Quinn then came off at half time and Maris was subbed. Clarke and Stirk improved a little in the 2nd half but they were still poor overall. Lapslie also made no impact.

We need to send Keaton Ward and Jason Law out on loan in January which Nigel Clough said was very likely at the start of the season. We can then sign a couple more decent midfield players as back up so we have proper competition for places and good cover for injuries. We need another main ball player to challenge George Maris. I'm not sure Ryan Stirk is the answer. We also need someone better than Charsley to play on the right. I suppose Nigel Clough might say that O'Toole could also play in midfield if necessary.

I don’t think we need anymore midfielders Darren. If we had proper wingers we wouldn’t have to play central players on the wing, and then they would be adequate back up.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:42 pm

Two poor performances. Scunthorpe were worse than us but we didn't look good.
Sutton were better organised, more committed and had better individual players.
For 80 minutes we didn't hardly put two passes together, just kicked the ball up to nobody.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:45 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I don’t think we need anymore midfielders Darren. If we had proper wingers we wouldn’t have to play central players on the wing, and then they would be adequate back up.

I thought wingers these days were right and left midfield players :lol:

I would not say that Harry Charsley was a central midfield player.

We need more of an attacking threat on the right and George Maris needs more competition to be the main ball player although Quinn could play in that position if he has the legs. He's not always great at tracking back.

We would certainly benefit from signing another left back as Ryan Burke is not good enough at the moment. It then gives us the option of pushing McLaughlin further forward if Quinn is injured.

One thing for certain is that the squad is not strong enough at the moment.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:55 pm

Some of this team have played a lot of minutes recently, with cup competitions included and injuries depleting the squad. I think it was incroyable that we'd lose one, but hopefully they have a good rest before Saturday and come back with a statement of intent. If they win that, we'll have a good idea what they're made of.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:22 am

Just got back and it wasn't until reading this thread that I'd even realised Charsley played
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:30 am

Nice one Richard
That was a late post and very comical
Well done to the 300 who went
Shame to lose that game when u thought our revival would at least bring a point
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:16 am

Really poor all round. No composure on the ball. Sutton came out and closed everything down and we panicked. We have better players than that, so very disappointing.
Obviously missing Oates, Johnson (and Hawkins) up front and Clough needs to remedy this before Saturday with at least one of them one way or the other. Sinclair frustrates me. I know he's young/learning trade etc but is so lightweight with no end product. Not improved on last year. No real excuse now to keep Hawkins at the back with O'Toole, Rawson and Forrester fit unless our striker is still better there than a defender. I'd also bring Gordon in for Hewitt if fit as that does give us a better outlet going forwards.
When games are tight in the middle with no time on the ball we need an outlet out wide. IMO we need a right winger. Playing Charsley there just doesn't work as he will never take a player on and loses possession so many times. Poor night with not a single player coming out with any plaudits.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:46 am

We were utterly toothless. No quality at all. Dunno if it was the ground being so tinpot but there was no atmosphere.

We need more up front. We need to bring players in. Am I allowed to say that ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Cockney Stag » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:14 am

bellwhiff wrote:We were utterly toothless. No quality at all. Dunno if it was the ground being so tinpot but there was no atmosphere.

We need more up front. We need to bring players in. Am I allowed to say that ?

I think the early goal killed any atmosphere.

2 things bothered me:

1) lack of effort, we seemed to be 2nd to every ball
2) lack of changes, it was clear 4-5-1 wasn't getting it done and yet we didn't really make a tactical change till Sinclair came on late in the 2nd half.

Hopefully it was just a one off and not a return to our form from a few weeks ago.
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:24 am

victor A block wrote:Really poor all round. No composure on the ball. Sutton came out and closed everything down and we panicked. We have better players than that, so very disappointing.
Obviously missing Oates, Johnson (and Hawkins) up front and Clough needs to remedy this before Saturday with at least one of them one way or the other. Sinclair frustrates me. I know he's young/learning trade etc but is so lightweight with no end product. Not improved on last year. No real excuse now to keep Hawkins at the back with O'Toole, Rawson and Forrester fit unless our striker is still better there than a defender. I'd also bring Gordon in for Hewitt if fit as that does give us a better outlet going forwards.
When games are tight in the middle with no time on the ball we need an outlet out wide. IMO we need a right winger. Playing Charsley there just doesn't work as he will never take a player on and loses possession so many times. Poor night with not a single player coming out with any plaudits.

If Gordon is fit he needs to replace Charsley. Then we can play down that side more. All our play is mainly down our left through Macca and Quinn.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:30 am

It's not easy supporting Mansfield. Last night was one of the worst performances. It wasn't that we were 'awful' and riddled with mistakes, but we just did nothing for 90 minutes. Everyman was invisible. It's unfair to single out Bowery for being poor or Macca for MoM because there was nothing between them as 'best' or 'worst'. The whole team and were very dull.

No one comes out of that with any credit whatsoever.

Clough had done well in recent games but it's performances like that which put him back squarely in the cross-hairs.

I think we need an Evening With event again to lay down some grievances and clear the air because the limited progress we seem to make is so readily unpicked. Need a point at Crawley, and more importantly a performance they can be proud of.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum