{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sir Mal Benning

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Sir Mal Benning

Postby Warsop Stag » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:13 pm

Great to see Sir Mal back at ‘t Mill.

Lovely moment when he came off and the whole ground rose to him.

Not sure I’ve seen an ovation like that for an opposition player since Stanty for Bury.

Thanks for the memories, Mal. :mtfc:
Warsop Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Sir Mal Benning

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:18 pm

A great ovation for Sir Mal. I just wish he had taken the free kick in the 1st half. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:13 am

Good to see him and to see him applaud stags fans.

However, clear to see who had the better left back last night
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:21 am

Yes sad to see him leave. Cloughie messed him about a bit so i couldnt blame him. Lovely chap too. Good luck Mal
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:25 am

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Yes sad to see him leave. Cloughie messed him about a bit so i couldnt blame him. Lovely chap too. Good luck Mal

How so? When he played him, he was disappointing
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:29 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Yes sad to see him leave. Cloughie messed him about a bit so i couldnt blame him. Lovely chap too. Good luck Mal

How so? When he played him, he was disappointing

Agreed, it looked the classic case of too long at a club that had lots of managerial changes. He needed a move, no fault attached to him or Clough IMHO
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:48 am

He was here 6 years (signed may 2015, same day at Matt Green's second stint) and had 6 different managers. Evans got the best out of him and he left in 2017. I think he got too "comfortable" if that's the right word.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:53 am

Good bloke but he was poor last night anominous, it was there to see why he was let go.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:28 am

gazza1988 wrote:He was here 6 years (signed may 2015, same day at Matt Green's second stint) and had 6 different managers. Evans got the best out of him and he left in 2017. I think he got too "comfortable" if that's the right word.

I don't agree Evans got the best out of him. Murray or Flitcroft for me. In fact, Evans bombed Benning out for a spell.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:30 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:He was here 6 years (signed may 2015, same day at Matt Green's second stint) and had 6 different managers. Evans got the best out of him and he left in 2017. I think he got too "comfortable" if that's the right word.

I don't agree Evans got the best out of him. Murray or Flitcroft for me. In fact, Evans bombed Benning out for a spell.

My thoughts too.

Muzza got the best from him
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:34 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

Evans was the only one who dropped him when he deserved it and signed that wrexham lad as adequate competition which made Benning play better... Few wonder goals under Murray covered over some average performances he had.

Flitcroft got the best out of him, but with like the rest only for half the season.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:41 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

My thoughts too.

Hardly anyone played well under Murray, his tenure was marked by the dull, negative football he played which had he not been sacked would probably have seen us back with the dead men. He did make some great signings though, but when you think about the players he had its amazing he got them playing so badly :lol: Bennings best season for us came under DF, when we finished in our highest league position in 17 (seventeen) years.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:44 am

I must have imagined Bennings wonder goals and us trouncing Notts County repeatedly Rob!?

Muzza definitely lost direction a bit, but the team in his first full season was decent. Just lacked an in the box goalscorer (Green was past his best)

I’d kill to have a back four of Bennett, Tafazolli, Pearce and Benning currently!
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:01 am

Flitcroft got the best out of Benning because of that wonder goal v cheaterfield, just read the report on here in the archive.
Didn't realise it was 8 games without a win for flitcroft and he surprisingly dropped Hunt for Benning in that game according to Martin.
Making me smile even now thinking of that day, words from the report that stick out are 2600 away fans, sliding on his knees infront of the Stags fans and another Nail In The Coffin.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:27 am

Sir Mal's moment when he was lifted to God like status will live in our memorys while ever we live. Look at the NL table and smile, smile, smile.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:03 pm

Ah yes. I though his wonder goals came during Evans tenure, I see they didn't. Looks like another win for the "epic failure" :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:16 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Ah yes. I though his wonder goals came during Evans tenure, I see they didn't. Looks like another win for the "epic failure" :lol:

It's why I had to read the report to see who was manager , he never mentioned flitcroft by name in the report I had to read the report from the following week :D
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:08 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

My thoughts too.

I think Flitcroft did personally. Benning and CJ down the left were unstoppable at times
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:08 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Ah yes. I though his wonder goals came during Evans tenure, I see they didn't. Looks like another win for the "epic failure" :lol:

Obsessed.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:11 pm

He has got a point though, Mal was in the team of the year that season.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum