{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

What a shock

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

What a shock

Postby stag324 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:48 pm

After a much improved performance tonight in which we were unlucky not to win, this board is very quiet.

Well done to the team, management and the majority of the fans.

Let’s take time to celebrate a good performance
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: What a shock

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:50 pm

No red cards or bad injuries (I hope).

Feels like we've won the league :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:54 pm

Are you surprised? This is the most depressing message board going. Even that followers page is less slit your wrists than here
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:58 pm

The ferals on FB Bowery raspberry Macca raspberry Hewitt raspberry and so it goes on
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:59 pm

The One wrote:The ferals on FB Bowery raspberry Macca raspberry Hewitt raspberry and so it goes on

I must admit i wonder what happened with bowery at half time.

That first half was er, well it needed improvement.

The second half was unreal, where the bloody hell did that come from?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:00 pm

adamstag wrote:
The One wrote:The ferals on FB Bowery raspberry Macca raspberry Hewitt raspberry and so it goes on

I must admit i wonder what happened with bowery at half time.

That first half was er, well it needed improvement.

The second half was unreal, where the bloody hell did that come from?

Half time rocket
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:19 pm

We played to his strengths... down that left channel.

Its always been the case
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Slackythestag » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:33 pm

Superb battling performance, it wasn't pretty at times but everybody got stuck in. The unity was fantastic tonight, the club felt together as one and it hasn't been like that for a while. Definitely a different feeling walking away from the ground tonight regarding our current situation.

Deserved to win IMO but just lacking that quality up front.

Defence was much better but still looks shakey.

Hopefully another point or 3 on Saturday!
Slackythestag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jamie » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:44 pm

Anyone genuinely celebrating that must have pretty low standards and pretty much no expectations. We were sloppy, lack any threat up front, lack quality throughout the squad and squandered a great chance at 3 points against one of the worst sides I've seen at the Mill for a while. The effort were there, but surely that's the very least we expect...

We did get at them wide, like we did earlier in the season which was nice to see but about all we did and often we lacked the quality to create clearcut chances...

We lack any sort of threat up top, are totally left side dominant, have a very rocky defence that was thankfully not tested much. They seemed to accept the point last 15 when Vale were there for the taking.

What exactly are we celebrating here? A home point against a team who were happy to defend and take a point themselves, at our ground when we haven't won in months. Okay....

Not calling for any heads, just being honest on what I saw. Fire away at me if you must but to say we should celebrate that performance is just laughable.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:53 pm

Jamie wrote:Anyone genuinely celebrating that must have pretty low standards and pretty much no expectations. We were sloppy, lack any threat up front, lack quality throughout the squad and squandered a great chance at 3 points against one of the worst sides I've seen at the Mill for a while. The effort were there, but surely that's the very least we expect...

We did get at them wide, like we did earlier in the season which was nice to see but about all we did and often we lacked the quality to create clearcut chances...

We lack any sort of threat up top, are totally left side dominant, have a very rocky defence that was thankfully not tested much. They seemed to accept the point last 15 when Vale were there for the taking.

What exactly are we celebrating here? A home point against a team who were happy to defend and take a point themselves, at our ground when we haven't won in months. Okay....

Not calling for any heads, just being honest on what I saw. Fire away at me if you must but to say we should celebrate that performance is just laughable.

I don't see many "celebrating" I see a lot of people happy with a much improved performance against the form team of the division.

A point isn't what we hope for or deserved but after a truly horrible run of results it was good to see we can live with sides at the top end of the table.

I'm not hammering you but I do feel it's an overly harsh and negative post on a decent night.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:01 pm

I couldn’t go tonight so can’t really comment on the game etc.

I was pleasantly suprised at the result, they are in good form and with the Flitcroft/Clarke/Benning storylines I had convinced myself that we were in for a bad night.

Definitely a point gained and hopefully the foothold we need to turn the corner
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:04 pm

Great effort spoilt by poor quality up front. Two forwards not good enough and the only one who is good enough has to play at centre half. Great effort but unless we add some quality going forward it will be a tough season.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jamie » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:06 pm

Broomn the OP literally said "Let’s take time to celebrate a good performance"... if people are happy with thst performance then fair play.

Harsh post, maybe, but if that was an in form top end of the table side then it makes our current plight even more worrying. They didn't turn up and wasted time the whole 2nd half happy to take something home. They're the only team who didn't do there homework and overload our diamond out wide... thankfully.

If this gives the squad some kind of boost then good, we need it. From where I'm sat we're bang in trouble with this lot. Safe only by goal difference and we ran out of steam near the end against a team who sat back and let us control things.

To balance it up, i thought Clarke looked better moving the ball around and playing centrally. Laps had a good game. JB worked hard, as did they all bar one late on.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:24 pm

Richard Cranium wrote: Even that followers page is less slit your wrists than here

No way Jake!! :lol:

......and have you seen the replies to the club's Facebook's posts.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:27 pm

Tonight was the best home performance of the season and we deserved to win. We battered them at times. Darrell Clarke and Tom Conlan said after the game that they were very fortunate to get a point.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:52 pm

Jamie wrote:Anyone genuinely celebrating that must have pretty low standards and pretty much no expectations. We were sloppy, lack any threat up front, lack quality throughout the squad and squandered a great chance at 3 points against one of the worst sides I've seen at the Mill for a while. The effort were there, but surely that's the very least we expect...

We are happy with an improved performance.

It's got to start somewhere. Tonight is hopefully the turning point.

From small acorns .......... Jamie lad. :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:30 am

The question always to be asked is why do we suddenly get a better performance like that
Why not every match or at least most matches??
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:32 am

tillydog123 wrote:The question always to be asked is why do we suddenly get a better performance like that
Why not every match or at least most matches??

Quinn?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:27 am

I do think we should celebrate an improved performance, it gives us all hope.

I would say the majority of people would be happy after last night as the signs are there than we can compete in this league when many on here have us back in non league given the chance.

Yes we still need to improve but last night was a huge step in the right direction and I for one want to take time to enjoy it.

Performances like that have been limited this season
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby geoffhill » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:39 am

Jamie obviously was not at Northampton like I was.Tonights display was brilliant compared to Saturdays.If we keep playing like that every game then we can start looking upwards instead of down.Quinn is our talisman and we have missed him so much.Hopefully we will bring a couple in in January a centre back and winger/striker.COYS.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:56 am

Quinn very much reminds me of Neal Bishop. A very important character on and off the pitch.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:12 am

I thought we were much improved, especially the second half and I am very happy with the point . The reality is we dropped 2 valuable home points against what appeared to be a very poor Vale side seemingly occupying a false position in the Table and we still haven't won for 13 games. Lets hope we can take last night's improvement to Exeter..Quinn was immense and I thought Rawson and Clarke ( when he came on ) were excellent .
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:15 am

It was a shock for sure but a good shock. I just hope they can put a performance in like that at Exeter too :mtfc:
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stag861 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:16 am

gazza1988 wrote:Quinn very much reminds me of Neal Bishop. A very important character on and off the pitch.

Trouble is the six games he's been off the pitch are when we have been poor.
Also, Bowery did well in the second half but without a decent striker chances are going to waste. We need another fit CH so Hawkins can go back up front.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:40 am

diablo wrote:I thought we were much improved, especially the second half and I am very happy with the point . The reality is we dropped 2 valuable home points against what appeared to be a very poor Vale side seemingly occupying a false position in the Table and we still haven't won for 13 games. Lets hope we can take last night's improvement to Exeter..Quinn was immense and I thought Rawson and Clarke ( when he came on ) were excellent .

Port Vale appeared to be poor and seemingly occupying a false position.

Could you stretch perhaps to thinking we were quite good and are seemingly occupying a false position?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum