{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

videos: Northampton game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

videos: Northampton game

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:52 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: videos: Northampton game

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:51 am

I don't blame anybody for the 1st goal. That's the 2nd long shot outside the area we have conceded this season whereas we have only scored one (George Maris). Our shooting from outside the area by Ollie Clarke, George Lapaslie and Jordan Bowery has not been good enough and we have not tested the keeper enough. I've also been expecting Stephen McLaughlin to fire one in but he has not delivered to date.

The 2nd goal was due to poor defensive organisation and allowing an opposition centre half to peel off at the back post which has been one of our main weaknesses all season. I bet the Northampton defenders were told to do this before the game. Whoever was marking Fraser Horsfall (Farrend Rawson?) let him go and did not make sure somebody else picked him up.

Both goals were conceded from 2nd phase long throws which makes a total of 7 goals this season conceded from corners and long throws.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:55 am

Think id rather throw my cat into a fire than watch even one second of that match again
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:20 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:23 am

Bishop could've done better with both.

And the gum chewer, oh dear runs out like girl skipping through a flower meadow for the first.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:14 am

Spiritater wrote:Bishop could've done better with both.

And the gum chewer, oh dear runs out like girl skipping through a flower meadow for the first.

Spiro, we were sat directly behind the first as it headed towards the net. It was well struck but not exactly "fizzing", he got a good full hand on it but sadly has limp wrists, he should of saved it.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:17 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I don't blame anybody for the 1st goal. That's the 2nd long shot outside the area we have conceded this season whereas we have only scored one (George Maris). Our shooting from outside the area by Ollie Clarke, George Lapaslie and Jordan Bowery has not been good enough and we have not tested the keeper enough. I've also been expecting Stephen McLaughlin to fire one in but he has not delivered to date.

The 2nd goal was due to poor defensive organisation and allowing an opposition centre half to peel off at the back post which has been one of our main weaknesses all season. I bet the Northampton defenders were told to do this before the game. Whoever was marking Fraser Horsfall (Farrend Rawson?) let him go and did not make sure somebody else picked him up.

Both goals were conceded from 2nd phase long throws which makes a total of 7 goals this season conceded from corners and long throws.

Not hugely surprising us conceding from 2nd phase set pieces when we bring every man back. Then, when we clear it the ball just goes straight back in the box.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stoney » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:43 am

What on earth is Hewitt doing for the first goal?

He's supposed to stand strong and get in the way of shots but instead gets within 6 yards of the attackers and does some sort of Irish jig.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:05 am

Stoney wrote:What on earth is Hewitt doing for the first goal?

He's supposed to stand strong and get in the way of shots but instead gets within 6 yards of the attackers and does some sort of Irish jig.

Expecting a shot to the top right corner. Which most were expecting by the looks of things.

What's with the weird kick by Clarke, had he slid to block it he'd have been successful? Notice there's no dissection of that?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:12 am

gazza1988 wrote:

Expecting a shot to the top right corner. Which most were expecting by the looks of things.

What's with the weird kick by Clarke, had he slid to block it he'd have been successful? Notice there's no dissection of that?

He could've easily gained another 2/3 yards on him Gazza which would've made the block so much easier and potentially panicked the scorer. Another example of very poor defending in my opinion.

I don't fall out with your comment on Clarke either. I think he's been poor lately too.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:28 am

So could Ollie Clarke. In fact I'd say Clarke was closer.

Let's get real here. Why are we allowing so much space outside the box in the first place? Why did Clarke seem to slow down to swing a left boot at it? Had he carried on towards the player he'd have got to the player before Hewitt did. We lso seem to have 9 players (including Bishop) in the box to their 5? Why?

Make no bones about it its poor defending but its happened all season where we crowd the area, its how we're set up that's the problem, not necessarily individual player.

The ball is headed clear, under pressure from Johnson he squares the ball, their lad takes a touch sorts his feet out and buries it. Meanwhile while this is all happening the midfield has barely pushed out. From the header w. Being won and the ball nestling in the far corner the furthest we got was the edge of the D. 8 or 9 seconds from throw in taken and ball in the corner. 9 seconds and we can't close a player down who picks up the ball 30 yards from goal to shoot from 26 yards.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:31 pm

Someone should send NC the video of the WBA v Birmingham game from Friday night. Birmingham left TWO men up front whenever West Brom had a corner which meant they had to leave 2-3 players back to cover.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:38 pm

Wasn’t this a throw in rather than a corner?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:31 am

gazza1988 wrote:

The gum chewer skipping out like that is in my mind his weak attitude to the game. Even if it had been a shot to the top corner with the way his arms were windmilling about he'd have given them a pen if t'ball had struck his arm.

The lad is non league quality and should have took his medicine either with Notts or the Cods and playing where he belongs.

Massive bilberrying mistake by young Nigel in signing him... added to the other poor additions.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum