{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stop the rot. Your squad for Tuesday

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stop the rot. Your squad for Tuesday

Postby HisEyesAreRed » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:11 am

So after the doom and gloom failed to lift yesterday afternoon, I’m genuinely curious to learn who you’d select in our matchday squad against Port Vale on Tuesday night.

Personally I’d like Clough to take a gamble. If we end up on the end of a 0-4 drubbing, then so be it, but I’d rather see us try to arrest the current form rather than a meek 90 mins of the same thing…

For me, my 18 for Tuesday would be:

Bishop

Burke
Rawson
Forrester
J. Clarke

McLaughlin
Quinn (c)
Maris (if fit)/Lapslie
Charsley

Oates
Hawkins

Bench:
Stech
Hewitt
Law
O. Clarke
Bowery
Johnson
Lapslie (if Maris fit) / Ward

It’s a bleak Sunday, so no better time to indulge in a bit of Armchair Manager! Let’s see what you’ve got!

COYS

:coys:
HisEyesAreRed
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Stop the rot. Your squad for Tuesday

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:15 am

I wouldn’t be starting Burke as he looks very questionable (but he might have to with Macca injured). I’d have O Clarke on the bench and Ward starting. Maybe play Oates
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:19 am

I'd rather start a cardboard cut out than Charlsley!
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby HisEyesAreRed » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:23 am

wayno cordiniho wrote:I wouldn’t be starting Burke as he looks very questionable (but he might have to with Macca injured). I’d have O Clarke on the bench and Ward starting. Maybe play Oates

I wasn’t sure how bad Macca’s ankle was, but assuming he’s fit, I’d like to see him a bit higher up the pitch.

If he’s out, then it’d be Ward central and Quinn on the left for me.

Burke needs games otherwise he’ll never improve.

I just worry that we seem totally unbalanced as a squad. We’re crying out for some width but only really Macca who can cross a ball… disappointing when you have Hawkins and Johnson who thrive on crosses or six yard box play…
HisEyesAreRed
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby victor A block » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:31 am

I woudn't play J Clarke or Burke. Both are lightweight IMO. Rawson and Forrester in central defence. Id play Gordon and Mclaughlin as full backs if fit.
Quinn, O Clarke, Maris and Lapslie (with Lapslie further forward) Oates and Hawkins up front.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:34 am

Sinclair has to start for me. I would start Oates as well. Drop Johnson and Bowery. Maris and Quinn in for Charlsey and Clarke or Lapslie.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Whitehalls Left Foot » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:36 am

Obvs other than Perch we really dont know who could be available for Tues as NC is as vague as possible.

But my best team and formation balancing attack and defence is -

Bishop

Hewitt Rawson Forrester

Gordon Ward Maris Macca

Sinclair Quinn
Hawkins

Bench -
Shelvey
J.Clarke
Burke
Cooper
O.Clarke
Lapslie
Oates
I know using 3 Central defenders leaves us exposed on the bench to an injury but we need points so let's go for it.
Johnson just not doing it for me.
Whitehalls Left Foot
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:41 am

I think with the players we have, and with Burke and Clarke not being ready for such pressure to grind out a result we. Ould do with okaying 352.

If we have 3 centre backs? Play macca and Gordon and let them get forward. Play with wide men and keep it simple
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:42 am

Bishop
J. Clarke, Rawson, Forrester, McLaughlin
Sinclair, Law, Maris (if fit)/Lapslie, Quinn
Hawkins, Johnson

Ward would be on the bench ready for the last 20 minutes if we are chasing a goal.

Although I would like to see McLaughlin further forward, his partnership with Quinn is too good to break and provide our best attacking option. We need Sinclair and Clarke to work on something similar on the right.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby HisEyesAreRed » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:55 am

I’m just not sure what Sinclair’s best position is. He’s got talent, but we’ve not really used him effectively IMO.

Law hasn’t had a look in yet, which is a shame after his great cameo towards the later stages of last season. I thought we’d see more of him this season by now.

Switching back to 3 centre halves could be an option, but from Clough’s comments, the team don’t enjoy it, and if that’s the case, we need to avoid it.

When you look at the squad, we do have some talent but we don’t have a clear shape or style to get the best out of our better plays. We seem to end up playing at least 2 or 3 to fill a gap/role and you’re already weaker because of it…
HisEyesAreRed
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:56 am

Sedgwick wrote:I think with the players we have, and with Burke and Clarke not being ready for such pressure to grind out a result we. Ould do with okaying 352.

If we have 3 centre backs? Play macca and Gordon and let them get forward. Play with wide men and keep it simple

Been saying this for weeks. Our defence is terrible, our full backs tend to be wingers and we have plenty of central focussed midfielders. It’s all set up for 352 rather than 442.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:18 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:I think with the players we have, and with Burke and Clarke not being ready for such pressure to grind out a result we. Ould do with okaying 352.

Been saying this for weeks. Our defence is terrible, our full backs tend to be wingers and we have plenty of central focussed midfielders. It’s all set up for 352 rather than 442.

I agree. I'd try a Change of shape.

352, maybe even 361pack the midfield and get a grip of the game.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:44 am

Bishop

Hewitt Rawson Forrester Burke

Gordon Maris Quinn McLaughlin(c)

Hawkins Johnson.

If Maris isn't fit then Charsley. He gets a bad rap, he's played every but central midfield for us, he is described as a attacking midfielder. Quinn can do the defensive duties left by Maris.

Full backs can still get forward and Macca and Gordon's stints as full backs will stand them is good stead for covering.

Went with Johnson bwcaus eif we can get some good balls in for Hawkins to get his head on I feel Johnson is the best at finishing loose chances in the box. The fox in the box, as it were.

Back to basics football. A bit of experience in midfield and wearing the armband.

1 sub and you can swap to a back 3. Swap Burke for Lapslie and you're sorted. That's probably be my best formation out of what we have. So it'd be

Bishop
Hewitt Forrester Rawson back 3
Gordon and Macca wing backs.
Quinn and Maris in midfield with Lapslie behind the front 2.

Under both tactics very strict instructions that when defending set pieces we man mark their tall lads and unless they send everybody up we still have options to clear to. They have 5 attackers in the box we have 6 defenders and no more. The rest man mark the players outside the area.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:54 am

Sinclair needs to start.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:13 pm

lifestags wrote:Sinclair needs to start.

Why? He's not scored, the matches he's played in we've not won. In fact we drew just one of these for a point. The very game he played 18 minutes as a second half substitute to then get sent off.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:28 am

wayno cordiniho wrote:I wouldn’t be starting Burke as he looks very questionable (but he might have to with Macca injured). I’d have O Clarke on the bench and Ward starting. Maybe play Oates

i agree Burke's a liability .... same category as Gordon !!! :roll: :roll:
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby west country stag » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:35 am

Bishop
Hewitt Forrester Rawson
Sinclair Ward Maris Quinn Macca
Hawkins Oates
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:40 am

gazza1988 wrote:

Why? He's not scored, the matches he's played in we've not won. In fact we drew just one of these for a point. The very game he played 18 minutes as a second half substitute to then get sent off.

He’s the only one with any spark and whose not been part of the last four games where we haven’t scored. He’s fresh and always willing to try something.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Walton Stag » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:06 am

It’s quite interesting how three at the back is suddenly becoming popular amongst a few posters. We played this system under Flitcroft and it mostly worked very effectively but the same system under Coughlan was terrible. I don’t think Clough will be contemplating this system with the players he has available (and he has rarely played it before anywhere). I think he will play 4-5-1 on Tuesday, ironically to counter Flitcroft’s 3-5-2!!!

Bishop.

Clarke Rawson Hewitt McLaughlan if fit, if not Burke.

Oates Lapslie Maris if fit, if not Ward, Clarke Quinn.

Hawkins
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby adamstag » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:49 am

The problem being playing bowery is where he’s creative the lad has 0 goals in him, whereas the problems are far wider than him it’s of no surprise that he’s started the last 4 and he’s scored 0 goals.

Again i acknowledge this is more than him, much more so - but i thought/hoped players like bowery and rawson wouldn’t be playing this season as it was already clearly established the likes of these 2 were and are substandard.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby my name is jonas » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:00 am

Bishop
Clarke rawson Hewitt McLaughlin
Lapslie ward Quinn Law
Hawkins Sinclair
my name is jonas
First Team
First Team

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:31 am

I’d just try and get as much creativity on the pitch as we can after going 4 games without a goal. We could still be playing at Northampton now and not have scored so something has to change.

Bishop

Clarke
Forrester
Rawson
McLaughlin (if fit)

Clarke (Maris if fit)
Lapslie

Oates
Sinclair
Quinn

Hawkins

I’m hoping having Quinn and McLaughlin back on the left will help as they had formed a good understanding down that side. Oates back in just for a bit of pace, and Sinclair given a go just because he at least tries to make things happen, and we really need something to happen. He’s hit and miss but worth a go at this stage for me.

Bowery and Charsley out as they offer no goal threat whatsoever, and Johnson making way too.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:57 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

He’s the only one with any spark and whose not been part of the last four games where we haven’t scored. He’s fresh and always willing to try something.

You could say the same about oates to be fair.

I do agree in general. Just feel pinning our goalscoring hopes on the lad is unfair. I don't feel he MUST start. U less we need a winger then he can go on the right. Depends what Clough wants to play.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:27 am

I used to enjoy watching us play under Flitcrofts 5-3-2 system and would give it a go again, especially when we get a couple of centre halves back again.

Bishop

Forrester
Rawson
Hewitt

McLaughlin
J Clarke

Quinn
Maris
O Clarke

Hawkins
Johnson/Oates
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:30 am

When Flitcroft was in charge of Swindon didn't they have Kellan Gordon at RWB?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum