{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Port vale match thread sponsored by lightning striking twice

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Port vale match thread sponsored by lightning striking t

Postby Conker » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:32 pm

Second best performance of the season after Colchester.

Both ended 1-1.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:33 pm

Kenwood wrote:O Clarke massive improvement I’ve been a critic of him since he arrived but tonight he showed the quality he has just needs to show that more often, made a big difference in midfield along with Charsley who probably had his best game in a Stags shirt

As s few people have said we need Hawkins back up front and Maris in front of the back four getting us playing and we will be fine

Also Oates never stopped running thought he set the tone for us tonight

Oates did work his socks off your right, Johnson on the other hand was less then impressive, he needs to run the channel, he might not score from there but it will help the team!
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:35 pm

Finally! Something to cheer about and get excited for. Great performance, shame we didn’t get the win but it was good to see the effort from the players and fans getting behind them.

Where was this desire against Northampton? Or is Quinn THAT good
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:38 pm

northern stag wrote:Final ball quality lacking and little movement in the box, and for me Bowery handled the ball and then miscued a pass to Lapslie for the goal , if we persist with Jordan expect more frustration, otherwise lots of effort and desire and if PV are the benchmark we should be fine and won’t go down

I didn't see him handle it. Superb skill from Quinn to get the ball to Bowery., then an excellent well-judged ball across the front of goal.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:41 pm

He accidentally touched it with his hand and scuffed the pass …..he did on my iPad anyway !!
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby lifestags » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:45 pm

It really doesn’t matter, was a good run from him and it ended with an assist.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:46 pm

northern stag wrote:He accidentally touched it with his hand and scuffed the pass …..he did on my iPad anyway !!

He played well second half, some people are never satisfied.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:48 pm

lifestags wrote:It really doesn’t matter, was a good run from him and it ended with an assist.

It was an observation, it obviously doesn’t matter
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:50 pm

adamstag wrote:I tried with the match fred anyway.

A point is better than i think many expected so that’s something

Good fredding, make sure you post one Wednesday.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:53 pm

A really good battling performance tonight, Ollie plays so much better when Quinn is on the pitch, we chased & pressed well, they did however let us play & knock it about which suited us tonight, Bowser drives me nuts sometimes however did play better second half, we need Hawkins back up top, when are we ever going to see these two bloody CBs like ?

missed Maris tonight, however loved to see the effort

pleased for Cloughie now show us what a good manager we have & build on this performance Saturday COYS
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:57 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Much improved. Huge relief when the goal went in.

It’s scary how much Quinn improves us. All of a sudden we can look a threat, him and McLaughlin are very good down that side.

They are brilliant together, now if we can get Hawkins back up front we will start winning games

With Hewitt limping off it would depend if that affects the weekend.

James Clarke did well though.

Charsley, a figure of some ridicule, played well. For me, Ollie Clarke should make way for ward or Maris at Exeter.

Did you quote the wrong post? I was referring to Hewitt playing Central defence so Hawkins can go up front. Jamie Clarke would be right back. Or we try Bowery at the back? Didn't Jamie Clarke feature at centre back a few games last season?

Or maybe Forrester might make an appearance. Play him centre half and if he needs to come off due to fitness move Hawkins back into defence to see the game out.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:08 pm

A really good performance tonight, making some of the posts on this scorethread look very silly. Loads of desire, great closing down and we were by far and away the better side in both halves. We made them look poor and they began time wasting as soon as the 2nd half began. Lapslie looked back to his best, Charsley had a fine game and even Clarke looked something like the player we know he can be. The biggest difference was definitely Quinn and when he tired I think we ran out of ideas a bit. Sadly when we had that bit of luck (I thought it was a very iffy penalty) we didn't take advantage of it. It just shows how important just one player can be, how many more points would we have if we could have played Quinn - not only did he play well, but others around him, most notably Lapslie, improved too. I just hope he didn't take a knock, he was stretching his right leg quite a bit before he came off, I just hope it was a bit of cramp or just tiredness. Rhys Oates ran his socks off all night and got the ovation he thoroughly deserved when he came off.

Atmosphere was brilliant, most fans are behind Clough and his team, that is really clear to see and hear.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:14 pm

What a nice feeling it is to enjoy a game of football.

First half we were very good and certainly didn’t deserve to be behind. Yet another silly mistake proving costly, not sure how their player managed to get in between Hawkins and Rawson and force the foul. It was a superbly taken free kick though.

Second half I thought we were superb. We pretty much played third placed Vale off the park. Much more energy, some excellent passing football, working the ball from one side to the other and creating multiple dangerous situations. We just lacked that cutting edge to get the three points we deserved.

What an enormous difference Quinn made to how the entire team played. Having missed him for six games I think it only emphasised his class, quality and desire. He always has time on the ball, even if it’s just a one two or a simple five yard pass he is instrumental in getting us playing. Ollie Clarke raised his game and his performance was much more reminiscent of those we witnessed on IFollow during lockdown. Harry Charsley had a very good game, looked dangerous attacking and worked tirelessly. George Lapslie has shown glimpses of his form from last season and tonight he too looked a lot more like the player we saw last season. A few great driving runs with the ball at his feet and popping up at the right place to get his well deserved goal.

A lot of positives from tonight’s performance but let’s make sure we wrap Quinn up in cotton wool and bubble wrap and hope he doesn’t see the red mist again anytime soon.

Well played Stags.
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:17 pm

Hewitt had one cracking shot from about 30yards, went just wide. Had it been on target he would have scored.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:18 pm

Couldn’t get tonight but glad to hear there was an improvement on recent weeks, despite the result.

Well done to the players and the manager on picking things up after Saturday.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:46 pm

Can't stress enough what a difference Quinn makes, not only in his own role but also what he brings out of others.

Macca is twice the player when Quinny is alongside him and the balance he gives allows Clarke and Lapslie the freedom to play their natural game.

No surprise or coincidence that we were back to playing it on the floor and with a bit of intensity.

Get Maris back in there as well and things will improve another step. With Charsley looking good on the right it's going to be tough to pick four from 5 and I'd be tempted to go one up top to fit them all in.

Delighted with the effort and performance as well as feeling a bit of relief that I can come on here and not have to see absolute negativity.

More of that and we'll be climbing the table faster than you can say Stephen Quinn, take a bow son.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:34 pm

Darrell Clarke's verdict as Port Vale battle out Mansfield draw

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... le-6085467

Port Vale verdict and player ratings after Mansfield draw

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... gs-6085378
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:51 pm

Both unreadable
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:03 am

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:41 am

Match Thread from One Vale Forum

"We’ve robbed a point tonight. Really poor performance but it’s one point gained."

"Phew. I’ll take a point from that thought it would be 1-1. Dreadful performance really, defended well and cov did brilliant on the penalty but that was a really poor showing.

Bad performance but that’s a good point for us. I’ll take that any day at Mansfield.

"Robbed a point there. A goal from a free kick and a free kick against the bar, apart from that did we have a shot at their keeper? In fairness they played us off the park and are better than their league position suggests. Still another point keeps us ticking over."

"I think they’ll be right up there at the end of the season. I know we made them look good but they looked a strong outfit"

"We didn't have an answer to them tonight but managed a point.

"Mansfield fans will be scratching their heads tonight how we started the game 3rd. Still, it's the sign of a decent team to get something when you're really poor, and you also have to give Mansfield credit as they no doubt put in their best performance of the season."

"Second best tonight but came away with a point. Seemed to be too much tinkering with formations during the game hence the team were not cohesive. I agree with Adam Yates, Mansfield are in a false position and will push up this league."

"Created very little and Mansfield were the much better side, without massively testing our goal."

"DC with a very reasonable analysis. Mansfield very good and in a false position in the table (thinks they'll finish top 10) ; too many 4-5/10s for us. Conlon with a bit of brilliance, Lucas responding well to Saturday's criticism. You'll have off days in League 2 and when you do, you take the point and move onto the home game."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:45 am

A few Mal Benning comments that made me chuckle:

"Genuine question - has Benning stopped more than one cross in all his accumulated game time since joining Vale?"

"Here are my marks .
COVALAN 8 saved pen did nowt wrong our best player in my opinion
Smith 5 looked out of sorts most of night .
Martin 5 did some good things I thought but also did some bad things .
Benning 3 a cone be more useful did he think he was still playing for Mansfield because he showed no desire take them on when we had the ball and was generally miles away from there player when he was crossing .
Jones 5 poor distribution tonight
Worrall 5 headless chicken no real attacking threat at all .
Conlon 6 great goal and another great free kick however spent most of the night chasing shadows .He gets a 6 for his goal and that's it .
Pett 5 chasing shadows
Garrity 5 chasing shadows
LLoyd 5 never held the ball up but was on the end of through ball to win free kick works his socks off ill give him that .
Wilson 5
Subs Gibbons 7 he livened us up a bit .
Politic 6 at least he got us in there half
Rodney 6 thought he did OK but we never played at all all night .
733 Vale fans there and they play like that. AWFUL.
man of the match the travelling fans"
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:47 am

One for Martin :lol:

"The Mansfield commentators were raging about our gamesmanship, in particular when Lloyd went down second half holding his face just before he got subbed. That really did create a hostile environment by the sound of the crowd. They weren’t happy with Covolans time wasting either, which was quality in my book. I thought one of them was going to have a heart attack when that penalty wasn’t given second half. Personally I thought he threw himself forward looking for it. They were full of praise for Mel Benning before the game, interestingly they made a comment that over the last couple of years he never hit the heights of his form of when he first joined them, but as he was about to be subbed even they noticed that he’d done nothing all game.

Play poorly and take a point isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Just need to stop that becoming a trend, but I think the 3 changes to the starting line up were noticeable in our overall performance and fluidity. Proctor is crucial to us linking with the wing backs and the midfield. We just didn’t get hold of the ball for any meaningful length of time in the game and we seemed to constantly under pressure and sitting back.

Some negative comments on Conlon earlier in the thread, I agree with another poster in that teams will pay good money for someone who can produce a special moment in a game like he did with the free kick. Game changing players are what stand out and even in a quiet game by his standards he still pulled something out of the bag, that could have won it but at least gave us a share of the spoils."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:53 am

Do we think Benning just didn't want to tackle his mates? :D
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:29 am

gazza1988 wrote:Do we think Benning just didn't want to tackle his mates? :D

Showed why we got rid, not the same player he once was, who did very little last night

And a supposed winger, proved he can play left back because Macca was superb in comparison.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:40 am

Was quite disappointed with D Clarke tonight.

His team came to here to dive around and simulate. Not what needs to be seen in football

That moment the player ran into clarke or Rawson, fell over, played on it and all of the team ran over for a prep talk. The whole lot of them should have been booked.

ref didn't have control of this game at all in my opinion.
Last edited by PEAR CIDER on Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum