{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Port vale match thread sponsored by lightning striking twice

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Port vale match thread sponsored by lightning striking t

Postby The One » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:53 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:Was quite disappointed with D Clarke tonight.

His team came to hear to dive around and simulate. Not what needs to be seen in football

That moment the player ran into clarke or Rawson, fell over, played on it and all of the team ran over for a prep talk. The whole lot of them should have been booked.

ref didn't have control of this game at all in my opinion.

Thought the same, and some wanted him as our Manager. No thanks.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:56 am

Bishop should of done better with the free kick, he picked his side and shouldn't get beat there.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Conker » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:01 am

Easy to criticise Clarke last night, and rightly so but let’s not forget they have done really well this season.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:05 am

jpstags wrote:Bishop should of done better with the free kick, he picked his side and shouldn't get beat there.

It was as top corner as they come. I don't think many keepers would have saved it.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:10 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:Was quite disappointed with D Clarke tonight.

His team came to hear to dive around and simulate. Not what needs to be seen in football

That moment the player ran into clarke or Rawson, fell over, played on it and all of the team ran over for a prep talk. The whole lot of them should have been booked.

ref didn't have control of this game at all in my opinion.

The one thing that has crept into the game in recent times that really boils my piss is on about 20-25 mins a player feigns injury, the ref stops the game, then all the players take a mini break on the sidelines. Seems to happen every game now and is clearly pre-planned. Northampton did it on Sat. It needs stopping.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:19 am

Probably being overly critical here, although it was a fair strike Bishop will be disappointed in the fact he didn't get at least a finger tip on it judging from the highlights.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:39 am

Spiritater wrote:Probably being overly critical here, although it was a fair strike Bishop will be disappointed in the fact he didn't get at least a finger tip on it judging from the highlights.

I know we’ve mentioned this a few times before however I do still find it strange that a keeper going to his top left will try and save it with his right hand, it’s not rocket science to work out that if he went with his left it would’ve got further into the corner,…..No?
Not a criticism it’s an observation
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:06 pm

Random Hero wrote:
jpstags wrote:Bishop should of done better with the free kick, he picked his side and shouldn't get beat there.

It was as top corner as they come. I don't think many keepers would have saved it.

No where near top corner.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:11 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Probably being overly critical here, although it was a fair strike Bishop will be disappointed in the fact he didn't get at least a finger tip on it judging from the highlights.

I know we’ve mentioned this a few times before however I do still find it strange that a keeper going to his top left will try and save it with his right hand, it’s not rocket science to work out that if he went with his left it would’ve got further into the corner,…..No?

I noticed that as well Yorkie.

I suppose it’s a natural reaction to try and go with your strongest hand, a bit like an outfield player always trying to kick with his right foot. We have to remember that Bish probably had very little time to judge the flight of the ball and maybe thought it was coming more centrally. Once he’d committed to his right hand the decision was made and couldn’t change mid flight.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:54 pm

There’s a great thread here from a GK analyst which discuss top and bottom hand saves.

John is definitely with a follow on Twitter for keeper analysis.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:11 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

There’s a great thread here from a GK analyst which discuss top and bottom hand saves.

John is definitely with a follow on Twitter for keeper analysis.

Quite right, lay on your left arm and see which arm you can get higher.
If diving to the left you have a bigger arc for a save with your right hand.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Random Hero » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:42 pm

jpstags wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

No where near top corner.

Just watched the replay. I still think it was pretty much unsaveable. I doubt many keepers would have got there regardless of positioning/which hand they dived with.

Why can't we just applaud the quality of the free kick rather than attempt to apportion blame?
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:01 pm

Love the word apportion being used...

Bravo Random.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:25 pm

Bishop-6-Simply because he barely had anything to do! I don't buy into that he could of done more from the free kick, it was a great goal.
Hewitt-7-Really improved performance from him.
Rawson-6 bit of a dodgy start for him I thought but he grew into the game.
Hawkins-6-Did well, dominant, mix up with Macca a couple of times, missed a peno.
Macca-7-back to his old self now with Quinn back, looked a threat, wasted a couple of crosses towards the end.
Charsley-9-His best game in a stags shirt for me, definitely in front of a crowd anyway, was on it from the off with a strong challenge put in, showed great feet and composure at times.
Clarke-7-Much better performance from the captain, powerhouse in midfield, used the ball well.
Lapslie-8-Starting to show the form he did last season, makes great runs into dangerous areas, battled well, burst forward a few times as well.
Quinn-8-Missed him so much haven't we? Competitive, composure and quality on the ball.
Bowery-7-Much better second half when he went out wide, carries the ball well and linked up with Quinn and Macca a couple of times.
Oates-7-worked tirelessly, his closing down and work rate really lifted the crowd, makes selfless runs into the channels constantly, just needs to calm down a bit in front of goal.

SUBS-
Johnson-4-for me he was poor, Held the ball up a couple of times but didn't get involved enough and failed to run the channel when his team mates needed a ball down the line.
James Clarke-6-Thought he did well when he came on, has a habit of getting a bit too tight and get turned by his opponent though.
Last edited by lifestags on Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:32 pm

broomo wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:Just back and it was like a different team.
Nearly everything on the deck and they never laid a finger on us except two free kicks.
Talking of which as we were miles away, was their free kick a howler as it seemed to go in the side GK was covering?

Great free kick. Unstoppable.

If the model had jumped rather than just stand there the ball would’ve hit him in the face and we could’ve won 1-0.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:02 pm

All those who are bigging up Lapslie and Charsley are spot on, I thought it was their best games this season and probably the best ever from Charsley. Really enjoyable game to watch. Another special mention to Q block who were tremendous yet again. We have to go over to the Bishop street stand and you could hear them really well all game, even when we went 1-0 down they still carried on signing. Pleased for NC that we got something, he looked delighted and relieved after the game. I’ve not left a game that happy for a while. And with our record at St James Park and home to Tranmere we’ve got a good chance of getting 6 points in the next two games too. COYS.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:55 pm

Sedgewick, Stagsfan 6493, Arnold rod, Spiratater, Parkinson perm, 1970 stag, Adamstag, Arsene Wengers coat, and Me all reared the worse.
A game full of pressure a must win even fans stating players think this could be Cloughs last game in charge.
So with all this gloom players are still missing and some fans think this is just a excuse, Trust the blame game.
Perch being out, oh he was old anyway, two players became available to play again one started, Quinn another old player.
Thats why Clough is a good manager, he knows the value of quality.
Quinn was superb, the rest of the squad went up a gear, but were still missing Quality Maris and Macca was playing through a injury.
Port vale were with the crowd watching the game, 1 point was never going to be enough and we did miss a trick.
But the lads showed us that when we have a full strength squad thing will improve.
Once more the fans were fantastic
Oh perhaps Bowery and Oates should strengthen their neck muscles to actually put power to the ball when they head it , Tommy Lawton would turn over in his grave
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby nobby+2 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:23 pm

Have moved into QLE from p block and can say would give Q block a good run for there money . Shame there split should all be behind goal
nobby+2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:43 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

I suppose it’s a natural reaction to try and go with your strongest hand, a bit like an outfield player always trying to kick with his right foot. We have to remember that Bish probably had very little time to judge the flight of the ball and maybe thought it was coming more centrally. Once he’d committed to his right hand the decision was made and couldn’t change mid flight.

i’m sure there is logic in it however from my seat i just think going with your left hand means you get closer to the corner of the net, that’s the bit i’m struggling with
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:18 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

i’m sure there is logic in it however from my seat i just think going with your left hand means you get closer to the corner of the net, that’s the bit i’m struggling with

I can see the logic if the ball is coming directly across you at a height you can reach with your right hand. In this case I thought the ball crossed Bishop further out meaning he had no chance of reaching it with his right and it then curled into the net. To save it, he would have had to extend further to his left and thought he had a better chance of doing that with his left hand.

Like you I’m not criticising Bishop for this in any way but using the circumstances as a discussion point. I’m sure the shot would have beaten him whichever hand he threw at it and the point is academic.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:06 am

It's how they are trained.

I think I read somewhere (can't find it. It was a while ago) that keepers dive lower than normal to get further across and use their "top" arm to sweep above to cover shots higher when a free kick is that close to the goal. There's not alot of ime to react so cover as much as you can. Its playing the percentages.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:32 am

gazza1988 wrote:It's how they are trained.

I think I read somewhere (can't find it. It was a while ago) that keepers dive lower than normal to get further across and use their "top" arm to sweep above to cover shots higher when a free kick is that close to the goal. There's not alot of ime to react so cover as much as you can. Its playing the percentages.

in my thick blunt world i still don’t agree, however i’m sure the Man Utd goalkeeping team know best :D
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum