{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough in

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Clough in

Postby chambta » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:30 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
smulls wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:Tranmere : L
Stevenage : L
Scunthorpe : D
Sutton :L
Crawley :L

One point from next 5 games is my prediction if we stick with Nige... Will be too late trust me

Piss off, Spirite!

Fascinating input smulls

If i was a Spirite why would i lie about it? Far more embarrassing being a stags fan at present :lol:

How do you see the next 5 games?

No it actually isn’t more embarrassing. I’m never embarrassed being a fan of this club. Mask slipped there

Quite right. You shouldn't be.

Embarrassed about being a low-grade individual with an internet search history that would interest the authorities, yes.
chambta
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:34 am

chambta wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
smulls wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:Tranmere : L
Stevenage : L
Scunthorpe : D
Sutton :L
Crawley :L

One point from next 5 games is my prediction if we stick with Nige... Will be too late trust me

Piss off, Spirite!

Fascinating input smulls

If i was a Spirite why would i lie about it? Far more embarrassing being a stags fan at present :lol:

How do you see the next 5 games?

No it actually isn’t more embarrassing. I’m never embarrassed being a fan of this club. Mask slipped there

Quite right. You shouldn't be.

Embarrassed about being a low-grade individual with an internet search history that would interest the authorities, yes.

Aaaand look who pops up like an embarrassing fart because his team win a game. Thought you’d given up on them.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:51 am

But on present form Gazmoose isn't far wrong no matter who he supports.
By the time we play Carlisle early Dec we'll be almost halfway through t'season and if we have anything less than 20 points by then the door begins creaking open.

T'is no good saying we've been unlucky with injuries and decisions etc, we just plain and simple have been crap in the main. Deep down the gaffer and players know this, but as a TEAM they seem powerless to change it on anything like a consistent basis.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby 1966Stag » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:01 am

west country stag wrote:Cloughie keeps saying that once we get the injured players back , things will change .
... in my opinion there's only Perch in that list that we miss at all .. so things wont change that much .
Moral is low & i can only see us going one way !!!

Yesterday we had 1 fringe first team defender available (rawson) others were youth/backup or out of position. In my opinion Perch, Gordon, Macca, Maris would have all started yesterday, Hewitt, Nartey and Forrester (possibly first team if he is any good) would have been on the bench, Hawkins would have played up front instead of Bowery. I make that 5 first choice players unavailable to play in their preferred position.

As for Morale/playing for Clough - they looked up for it on Tuesday but again too many players missing and a penalty miss to be able to take full advantage/3 points.

Although I am worried about our position (and form over last 2 months is unacceptable) I don't think we would have expected 6 points from Port Vale and Exeter with any team that we could put out - I'm in the give him 5 more games camp. I also think that having to sack him could see the end of the Radford's - fingers crossed it doesn't come to that.
1966Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:24 am

1966Stag wrote:
west country stag wrote:Cloughie keeps saying that once we get the injured players back , things will change .
... in my opinion there's only Perch in that list that we miss at all .. so things wont change that much .

Yesterday we had 1 fringe first team defender available (rawson) others were youth/backup or out of position. In my opinion Perch, Gordon, Macca, Maris would have all started yesterday, Hewitt, Nartey and Forrester (possibly first team if he is any good) would have been on the bench, Hawkins would have played up front instead of Bowery. I make that 5 first choice players unavailable to play in their preferred position.

As for Morale/playing for Clough - they looked up for it on Tuesday but again too many players missing and a penalty miss to be able to take full advantage/3 points.

Although I am worried about our position (and form over last 2 months is unacceptable) I don't think we would have expected 6 points from Port Vale and Exeter with any team that we could put out - I'm in the give him 5 more games camp. I also think that having to sack him could see the end of the Radford's - fingers crossed it doesn't come to that.

Clough said yesterday ‘we win when we get our senior players back’. We were five players off the team that started on opening day. Two were on the bench and available, one is not gonna be back this season. :

Perch - not gonna be back this season, so Hewitt, Nartey, or Forrester will have to play. Hewitt hasn’t impressed, Nartey didn’t albeit in two games where he was playing injured. Forrester who knows.

Gordon - already cost us goals this season. Is he any better defensively than Clarke?

McLaughlin - good player, had a good season but has made mistakes defensively.

Maris - on the bench yesterday. A key player but even if fully fit would he have dropped Charsley after the performance he put in against Vale?

Johnson - available but not selected.

I can’t believe that any other manager would claim they can only win with a fully fit squad to choose from. It’s an admittance that the squad built is not good enough. If Burke was not ready to play L2 football then why sign him, even as a back up? If Clarke is not ready, why did we send O’Keeffe out on loan?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby 1966Stag » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:56 am

MTFCMusings wrote: If Burke was not ready to play L2 football then why sign him, even as a back up? If Clarke is not ready, why did we send O’Keeffe out on loan?

Burke or Clarke gaining experience in a settled back 4 is usually the way to develop youth/backup players - I can't believe that having to play them both in an unsettled back4/under pressure team was ever part of the plan.

Agree with you on O'keefe and would add Menayese but can only assume that was freeing up money for signings which then didn't happen.

I do think that Clough failed badly in building a squad - seemed to wait far too long for players who were not really interested or were stalling to look for other options.
1966Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:58 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
1966Stag wrote:

Clough said yesterday ‘we win when we get our senior players back’. We were five players off the team that started on opening day. Two were on the bench and available, one is not gonna be back this season. :

Perch - not gonna be back this season, so Hewitt, Nartey, or Forrester will have to play. Hewitt hasn’t impressed, Nartey didn’t albeit in two games where he was playing injured. Forrester who knows.

Gordon - already cost us goals this season. Is he any better defensively than Clarke?

McLaughlin - good player, had a good season but has made mistakes defensively.

Maris - on the bench yesterday. A key player but even if fully fit would he have dropped Charsley after the performance he put in against Vale?

Johnson - available but not selected.

I can’t believe that any other manager would claim they can only win with a fully fit squad to choose from. It’s an admittance that the squad built is not good enough. If Burke was not ready to play L2 football then why sign him, even as a back up? If Clarke is not ready, why did we send O’Keeffe out on loan?

O’Keeffe out on loan? Like all football clubs, whatever the reason we are unlikely to ever find out, none of our business, it could be one of many things,
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:49 am

The reason of O'Keefe going on loan was something along the lines of he's not used to playing in a 4 only a back 5, so he needed to go and play games...

I don't buy it, from what we saw in preseason with him and rollin not even being given squad numbers, it's a clear dislike.

Might have been musings who posted all the stats from O'Keefes time at Mac but it pointed to him being one of the best players on the ball in the league!

Both would have been more than capable backups and probably gone on to cement first 11 places like they are doing on loan.

Get them two back in January and that's two brilliant experienced signings done. Doubt they'd be happy though
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:05 pm

Now all of you doubters. Get off Nigel's back
True one good result doesn't make a season but it proves that when you have the players available we are not that bad a side
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:32 pm

Whole team played well today. Now back it up against Stevenage in the next league game.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby bear 73 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:56 am

Spiritater wrote:But on present form Gazmoose isn't far wrong no matter who he supports.
By the time we play Carlisle early Dec we'll be almost halfway through t'season and if we have anything less than 20 points by then the door begins creaking open.

T'is no good saying we've been unlucky with injuries and decisions etc, we just plain and simple have been crap in the main. Deep down the gaffer and players know this, but as a TEAM they seem powerless to change it on anything like a consistent basis.

Enough, i for one enjoy watching a club develop, agreeing with Gazmoose shows lack of support for our club.
Early Dec has not arrived and there is no door creaking open, we have been unlucky with injuries that is a fact. calling our team crap is just down right insulting.
We are a team, owners, staff and supporters, who all do our best for the club.
People like you are Ten a Penny show up in the good times, our fan base is our community spirit and support during the hard times.
The last two home games we have applauded our players of for the effort they have put in, While enjoying being part of a match day experience
Good company, A few pints, and a choice off Puka Pie n Peas, or a Cheeseburger on a good day both.
And the emotion of supporting YOUR club, we have highs and learn to live with the lows, Thats Football our National game, you should try it
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:07 pm

bear 73 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:But on present form Gazmoose isn't far wrong no matter who he supports.

Enough, i for one enjoy watching a club develop, agreeing with Gazmoose shows lack of support for our club.
Early Dec has not arrived and there is no door creaking open, we have been unlucky with injuries that is a fact. calling our team crap is just down right insulting.
We are a team, owners, staff and supporters, who all do our best for the club.
People like you are Ten a Penny show up in the good times, our fan base is our community spirit and support during the hard times.
The last two home games we have applauded our players of for the effort they have put in, While enjoying being part of a match day experience
Good company, A few pints, and a choice off Puka Pie n Peas, or a Cheeseburger on a good day both.
And the emotion of supporting YOUR club, we have highs and learn to live with the lows, Thats Football our National game, you should try it

Good post
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:38 pm

Clough is the longest serving manager at Burton Albion, and the longest serving Manager at Derby county since Jim Smith in 1995.
Sheff Utd was his shortest job 18 months.
He has Managed 4 clubs after 23 years in management with Mansfield Town being his fourth.
Burton are still going strong in league 1 and a year ago were a stable club,
Derby have gone from stability to liquidation with the owner losing estimated three hundred million pounds.
Sheff Utd have had a journey and settled into the championship where a club with a big fan base belongs at least.
Mansfield town after many years struggling and going through 18 managers in 20 years, John and Carolyn Radford brought in David Sharpe for the day to day running of the club.
One of the first and a major decision was to bring in a manager they could trust, some one who would not put the club at risk for personal glory, but would move the club forward
whilst living within available budgets, looking at other clubs he had managed, who had all prospered under him, they went with Nigel clough.
On his appointment Sharpe made it clear there was no easy fix, and it would take time, and a few transfer windows,
While the Radfords had put money into the club they had not got multi millions to spare chasing a dream, the club had to be self supporting.
Going off topic Alex Ferguson spent 6 years at Man utd, and failed to get players he wanted so even a massive club like them can fail to get their targets.
many fans were calling for his head saying he was a failure, He went on to win all the major trophies, home and abroad,
Clough is at Mansfield for a long spell and like the fans, will always put the club first, players come and go, but Mansfield Town is here forever
Gazmoose, Spiritater, Billy the fish, Arsene wengers coat, Parkingsons perm, you did not listen when the man spoke
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:49 pm

bear 73 wrote:Clough is the longest serving manager at Burton Albion, and the longest serving Manager at Derby county since Jim Smith in 1995.
He has Managed 4 clubs after 23 years in management with Mansfield Town being his fourth.
Derby have gone from stability to liquidation with the owner losing estimated three hundred million pounds.
Sheff Utd have had a journey and settled into the championship where a club with a big fan base belongs at least.
Mansfield town after many years struggling and going through 18 managers in 20 years, John and Carolyn Radford brought in David Sharpe for the day to day running of the club.
One of the first and a major decision was to bring in a manager they could trust, some one who would not put the club at risk for personal glory, but would move the club forward
whilst living within available budgets, looking at other clubs he had managed, who had all prospered under him, they went with Nigel clough.
On his appointment Sharpe made it clear there was no easy fix, and it would take time, and a few transfer windows,
While the Radfords had put money into the club they had not got multi millions to spare chasing a dream, the club had to be self supporting.
Going off topic Alex Ferguson spent 6 years at Man utd, and failed to get players he wanted so even a massive club like them can fail to get their targets.
many fans were calling for his head saying he was a failure, He went on to win all the major trophies, home and abroad,
Clough is at Mansfield for a long spell and like the fans, will always put the club first, players come and go, but Mansfield Town is here forever
Gazmoose, Spiritater, Billy the fish, Arsene wengers coat, Parkingsons perm, you did not listen when the man spoke

Ok i'll bite first.

Please stop saying in all your posts "we", "our" and being such a condescending little Bear.

We the true fans will back our club through thin and thinner as we always have done and will continue to do so long after you've ridden off with Nigel, it is not your club and never will be but you are welcome whilst Nigel is here and you plough your money in.

See you at The Stadium of Light
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:59 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Clough is the longest serving manager at Burton Albion, and the longest serving Manager at Derby county since Jim Smith in 1995.

Ok i'll bite first.

Please stop saying in all your posts "we", "our" and being such a condescending little Bear.

We the true fans will back our club through thin and thinner as we always have done and will continue to do so long after you've ridden off with Nigel, it is not your club and never will be but you are welcome whilst Nigel is here and you plough your money in.

What is backing the club Parky?

I know you go to most if not all home games so fair play there but on here, certainly for a while now, all I see during the thin ( certainly not quite thinner yet) is you undermining and criticising pretty much every aspect of the club you say you back through thick and thin.

Time served doesn't equal best fan in the world in my mind.

You can and will disagree and hammer me if you want but it's how I see it.

Onwards and upwards, fingers crossed.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:03 pm

I've lived the highs and the very low lows at my club for 55 years bear. Was at a desperate time for our club in the Haslam/ Conference years. Went on the march, went to the court when JR had legal wrangles with Haslam
Went to crap holes like Barrow, Altrincham, Lewes, Southport and Loooooooun etc in the desperate years. So I've bugger all to prove to you. However if it's crap, I'll say it's crap and most folk leaving games against Harrogate, Oldham, Walsall, Northampton Barrow to name a few will have thought the same.

I shall be there Thursday to watch the young uns too. So I've shown up in the hard times, done my stint as it were. I take little heed from a poster who's come on board for one reason only.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:06 pm

I'm still boarder line on Nigel. But if we keep our current performance level up, we could beat Stevenage Crawley, Scunthorpe and Carlisle. If we do, then we'd all be convinced again. Sutton away on a.cold November Tuesday night is tricky, but we might have some confidence back in our veins by then.

Come on stags.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:35 pm

broomo wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:

Ok i'll bite first.

I know you go to most if not all home games so fair play there but on here, certainly for a while now, all I see during the thin ( certainly not quite thinner yet) is you undermining and criticising pretty much every aspect of the club you say you back through thick and thin.

Hi Craig
You picked me up on something similar not long ago to which i gave you an answer but i don't know whether you saw it.

I do not criticise the club itself as in my opinion its the best its ever been run, if you can highlight a post criticising it then i will take it back and apologise, cant say fairer than that.
When i dont agree with the managers team, tactics, transfer shortcomings then ill voice my opinion but it is just an opinion.
To be honest i dont care about nice stands, seats, catering, bar etc as i'd stand on an old ale crate just as long as the team are playing decent winning football.

I've been one of the 1200 against Torquay at our lowest league ebb and no i dont want a medal or anything as it was my choice as a dedicated supporter.
So when Bear comes on here and puts the same condescending drivel over and over again it wears a bit thin as he isn't a dedicated Stags supporter, is he, hes a Nigel Clough fan? Maybe he doesnt put things across very well, i dont know. What i do know is once again that when Nigel eventually leaves he'll be gone in a flash.

See you Saturday
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:45 pm

Well said woody lad.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:16 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
broomo wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:

Ok i'll bite first.

Hi Craig
You picked me up on something similar not long ago to which i gave you an answer but i don't know whether you saw it.

I do not criticise the club itself as in my opinion its the best its ever been run, if you can highlight a post criticising it then i will take it back and apologise, cant say fairer than that.
When i dont agree with the managers team, tactics, transfer shortcomings then ill voice my opinion but it is just an opinion.
To be honest i dont care about nice stands, seats, catering, bar etc as i'd stand on an old ale crate just as long as the team are playing decent winning football.

I've been one of the 1200 against Torquay at our lowest league ebb and no i dont want a medal or anything as it was my choice as a dedicated supporter.
So when Bear comes on here and puts the same condescending drivel over and over again it wears a bit thin as he isn't a dedicated Stags supporter, is he, hes a Nigel Clough fan? Maybe he doesnt put things across very well, i dont know. What i do know is once again that when Nigel eventually leaves he'll be gone in a flash.

See you Saturday

I wish there was a like button on here, then you and one or two others I often disagree with would see that I'm capable of agreeing with decent posts, whoever they are posted by.

Decent post. Fair enough.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:10 am

Spiritater wrote:I've lived the highs and the very low lows at my club for 55 years bear. Was at a desperate time for our club in the Haslam/ Conference years. Went on the march, went to the court when JR had legal wrangles with Haslam
Went to crap holes like Barrow, Altrincham, Lewes, Southport and Loooooooun etc in the desperate years. So I've bugger all to prove to you. However if it's crap, I'll say it's crap and most folk leaving games against Harrogate, Oldham, Walsall, Northampton Barrow to name a few will have thought the same.

I shall be there Thursday to watch the young uns too. So I've shown up in the hard times, done my stint as it were. I take little heed from a poster who's come on board for one reason only.

The history of Mansfield like most clubs is past, and fans look to the good or bad times shared with friends,
Sorry to say im here for the same reason as you to support Mansfield Town, crap leaves a lot to think about, and leaving games early is not a trait i want to follow.
i look at the Sharpe interview and he explains why the owners have gone for Clough,
I also listen to Clough before and after games, and he will explain how and why things happened on the pitch.
Honest and straight forward, two quotes i like, one from Clough if the payers are not good enough we get some who are.
One from Sharpe, there will be no easy fix.
Clough did his job last season ,kept us up reduced costs, This season after 15 games and a start from hell, old habits die hard sack the manager.
Stability hard to live with, Clough will be looking at his future strikers Caine, Gale, Knowles while focusing on the here and now.
The owners have made a decision and made Clough the man to take the club forward, and most supporters are on board,
,Parting with a Manager is a sign of total failure, how many managers have been here in the last 20 years, YES 18, That is crap
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:39 am

Hi parky i liked the Condescending little bear and we is a plural. more than one.
And i know the club is owned by the Radfords, Clough does not ride off and i hope to be here many years and see the club develop.
While i can attend matches and put money into the coffers what more can one do,
Thanks for the bite parky enjoy Sunderland broomo territory
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:24 pm

bear 73 wrote:Hi parky i liked the Condescending little bear and we is a plural. more than one.
And i know the club is owned by the Radfords, Clough does not ride off and i hope to be here many years and see the club develop.
While i can attend matches and put money into the coffers what more can one do,
Thanks for the bite parky enjoy Sunderland broomo territory

And right there is the crux of what people are saying. We don’t hope to be here many years, we will be here until the sad day we join the Amber Army in the sky.

We all know that we will be putting our support behind another manager, and we all know that you will be putting your support behind another club.

Huge difference.

Please don’t take this as an attack, but, more an explanation of the way some people may be feeling.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:38 pm

Thanks Big Yella when i join the army in the sky it will be diverse and full of football fans, I can understand your putting your support behind another manager.
it is what you are used to, 18 in 20 years thats a fact.,
At 76 i could ride out with Mansfield and enjoyed the journey, I have Derby County 6 miles away, and Nottm Forest about 8 miles away.
Each club want new supporters and expand their revenue, like it or not it is a entertainment business, and i wish a few thousand follow me to the Stags.
I know that many live in Mansfield and the surrounding areas, so it is their local club and their preference is One Call Stadium.
i am here because i believe in the Radfords dream and have the personnel to achieve it, only time will tell.
I put money into the club for something i believe in and this makes me a supporter. im glad many who bought season tickets thought the same, and i hope more are sold next year..
im a Happy Clapper. i like Sharpie and Clough and hope the Radfords get their dream, it could be a bumpy road, but i got a harness
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:39 pm

Programme re BC on Radio Nottingham this evening
https://www.facebook.com/31375253201317 ... 890669863/
The One
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum