{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough in

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Clough in

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:21 pm

adamstag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Rob wrote:
oldweststander wrote:What would be achieved by sacking Clough. The only managers interested in coming here would be those who have been sacked by their last club.

The playing staff cannot change until January when we willbe in the thick of a relegation fight and that won't attract any better players than we already have.

The turning point was James Perch's injury and then, for whatever reason, not recruiting a decent centre back.

Someone has to take the wrap for that, should it be Nigel or Sharpe, we don't know and unlikely to ever find out?

I agree, any new manager now would only have the same tools to work with. It's time for Clough, his coaches and the players to step up. No improvement by the end of Dec then even my patience will have worn out.
I agree too.

me too :lol:

I'm so proud of you Adam ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:32 pm

Rob wrote:
adamstag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Rob wrote:
oldweststander wrote:What would be achieved by sacking Clough. The only managers interested in coming here would be those who have been sacked by their last club.

The playing staff cannot change until January when we willbe in the thick of a relegation fight and that won't attract any better players than we already have.

The turning point was James Perch's injury and then, for whatever reason, not recruiting a decent centre back.

Someone has to take the wrap for that, should it be Nigel or Sharpe, we don't know and unlikely to ever find out?

I agree, any new manager now would only have the same tools to work with. It's time for Clough, his coaches and the players to step up. No improvement by the end of Dec then even my patience will have worn out.
I agree too.

me too :lol:

I'm so proud of you Adam ;)

:lol: i didn’t think it would go un-noted :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:35 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Sacking Clough not the right way to go. He's been unfortunate. It is however a big January window for him. This'll be his 3rd transfer window and just has to pull something out the hat. We have to improve.

Give him until January, see where we are. He had the new manager bounce and the players stepped up. So he decided to renew contracts and stick in January. Once the honeymoon period ended the cracks formed again. He started slating the defence and then went with the same again this season. The new manager can't come in and judge the players based on the "bounce" like Clough did.

Im sorry Gazza but he’s not getting to January unless he wins at least one game.

Perhaps not. But if Clough resigns we don't have to pay him off.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:49 pm

If I were JR I'd sack him and give the impatient tossers what they want and then I'd walk myself
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:53 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Dp1976 wrote:Just out of interest other than Quinn that’s injured are we missing so badly ?

Perch

Perch is unfortunately probably out forever...
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:26 pm

diablo wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Dp1976 wrote:Just out of interest other than Quinn that’s injured are we missing so badly ?

Perch

Perch is unfortunately probably out forever...

I know, but he is a player who's injured and we're missing him badly. Doubt he will play in a stags shirt again
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagspur » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:29 pm

You can take a few loses if performance are OK, but at the moment nothing short of dire
Recruitment has been awful, Is it a power struggle between Clough and Sharpe?????

Clear out the lot ( and before you say for who? , let's see who applies.... Terry Flynn , Holloway ect ect ect )
Stagspur
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:30 pm

Stagspur wrote:You can take a few loses if performance are OK, but at the moment nothing short of dire
Recruitment has been awful, Is it a power struggle between Clough and Sharpe?????

Clear out the lot ( and before you say for who? , let's see who applies.... Terry Flynn , Holloway ect ect ect )

Not the man Grimsby blame for their relegation please
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:32 am

A year ago we gave Cooper the job and I think he was undefeated before Clough came.
He improved our performances and got the best out of players with a great win in the FA cup against Sunderland.
He'd probably be the only replacement that would ease the pain of losing Clough if it happens.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:48 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Stagspur wrote:You can take a few loses if performance are OK, but at the moment nothing short of dire

Not the man Grimsby blame for their relegation please

I wouldn't bemoan the current Grimsby chap Paul Hurst. he applied before.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:11 am

We need a captain on the field, players need to encourage each other and Clough needs to stop calling out the players.

As the title of the tread says I want Clough here and believe he is the right man we just need that little bit of luck
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:48 am

"Clough In" but he needs to take the pressure off the players by saying he is to blame and nobody else and he will sort it out with the players' help and support.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:41 am

Yes, he needs to instill confidence in the players.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:50 am

Sinclair , Nartey, Stirk, Forrester, Perch, Maris, A fit Hawkins, Quinn Also 7 players off hand.
2 players can make a difference to a teams performance
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Arnolds Rod » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:57 am

gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Sacking Clough not the right way to go. He's been unfortunate. It is however a big January window for him. This'll be his 3rd transfer window and just has to pull something out the hat. We have to improve.

Give him until January, see where we are. He had the new manager bounce and the players stepped up. So he decided to renew contracts and stick in January. Once the honeymoon period ended the cracks formed again. He started slating the defence and then went with the same again this season. The new manager can't come in and judge the players based on the "bounce" like Clough did.

Im sorry Gazza but he’s not getting to January unless he wins at least one game.

Perhaps not. But if Clough resigns we don't have to pay him off.

I think if we get tanked on Tuesday he'll walk. I wonder if JR will fly in on Tuesday to give him the full confidence of the board?
Arnolds Rod
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby wardy12345 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:12 am

Who is in charge of signing new players now days when Caroline was in charge more often than not the player was signed now we seem to miss out on the top targets and end up in this mess.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:16 am

it’s a mess, it cannot be allowed to carry on much longer, who would have thought we would be in this this position with Nigel Clough in the hot seat?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:19 am

bear 73 wrote:

Sinclair , Nartey, Stirk, Forrester, Perch, Maris, A fit Hawkins, Quinn Also 7 players off hand.

Last 2 games we won. The missing players who started those games are Gordon, Perch, Quinn and Maris. So arguably 4.

3rd game we drew after conceding a 95th minte penalty which was arguably soft. Missing players who started that game? Perch, Maris and Quinn

It's a long injury and suspension list, this is true. However 1 of the missing players from that game is a winger at right full back. 1 is a very recent injury and played 10 of the league games we didn't win in previous to his injury. 1 is a very long term injury. And the other is suspended due to idiocy.

That's 4 players from when we last won in the league until we got beat vs Bradford.

Quinn has a 33% win%, Perch 50% win percentage. Maris has a 18% win percentage. Gordon also has a 33% win rate.

The 2 games we won Stirk appeared in the 91st minute of the first game.

You're naming players who arguably have a 0% win rate. Hardly useful at this stage.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:37 am

gazza1988 wrote:
bear 73 wrote:

Last 2 games we won. The missing players who started those games are Gordon, Perch, Quinn and Maris. So arguably 4.

3rd game we drew after conceding a 95th minte penalty which was arguably soft. Missing players who started that game? Perch, Maris and Quinn

It's a long injury and suspension list, this is true. However 1 of the missing players from that game is a winger at right full back. 1 is a very recent injury and played 10 of the league games we didn't win in previous to his injury. 1 is a very long term injury. And the other is suspended due to idiocy.

That's 4 players from when we last won in the league until we got beat vs Bradford.

Quinn has a 33% win%, Perch 50% win percentage. Maris has a 18% win percentage. Gordon also has a 33% win rate.

The 2 games we won Stirk appeared in the 91st minute of the first game.

You're naming players who arguably have a 0% win rate. Hardly useful at this stage.

That's because he's trying to defend the indefensible.

Yesterday was as bad as any of the rigid bang it long stuff we endured under Coughlan.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:13 pm

There is a new plan keep the manager and get rid of players who are not good enough, this can only be done in the transfer windows so between each window the players have a chance to do their jobs.
The manager can only give them a game plan and once they cross that white line, the player is responsible for their actions
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:21 pm

bear 73 wrote:There is a new plan keep the manager and get rid of players who are not good enough, this can only be done in the transfer windows so between each window the players have a chance to do their jobs.
The manager can only give them a game plan and once they cross that white line, the player is responsible for their actions

What's the chuffin game plan cos only you can see it?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:28 pm

bear 73 wrote:There is a new plan keep the manager and get rid of players who are not good enough, this can only be done in the transfer windows so between each window the players have a chance to do their jobs.

So who trains them to stick to that game plan? Who adjusts the team using substitutions?

Your theory falls apart. Just look at the difference between Flitcroft and Dempster. Same keepers, same back 3, same wing backs and same midfielders, different strikers. Tightest defence to leakiest(is that a word?) defence. A side that were knackered after 60 minutes and collected cards and suspensions pretty much every game.

Or is his game plan to just buy and sell players until it clicks? So basically a budget Steve Evans?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:35 pm

wardy12345 wrote:Who is in charge of signing new players now days when Caroline was in charge more often than not the player was signed now we seem to miss out on the top targets and end up in this mess.

To be fair she had more clout to increase the bids/terms if req'd, it was her own money after all.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:06 pm

Were you in stasis during the last two windows ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Mansf1eld » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:14 pm

It amazes me people still can't understand her name is Carolyn not Caroline. It's not even difficult.
:evil: Against Modern Football :evil:
Mansf1eld
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum