{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tues night no excuses

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tues night no excuses

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:49 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:The other two we missed out on were again someone who got a better offer in a higher league (injured anyway) and Piergianni who is awful.

But we missed out on them and have an appallingly weak centre of defence. Can’t you see that’s a failing because if you can’t then I do feel sorry for you.

I think you’ve misunderstood me Belly. My first post was asking OWS which of Cloughs top targets were missed out on, as OWS seems keen on shifting the blame from Clough for his terrible recruitment to Sharpe.

My point was that Clough got exactly who he wanted apart from Naylor. He got an offer from a higher league, I wouldn’t say that’s a failing of our club. Clough then had ten weeks to identify a second choice target, left it until deadline day and then his four choices consisted off another player likely going to a higher league who was injured, another injured player, a rubbish L2 player and Nartey.

I don't think for one minute Nigel Clough got exactly who he wanted apart from Naylor. He missed out on several other targets some named on here and no doubt others we don't know about.

What positions are you talking about?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:12 pm

Didn't he say he was delighted he got most of his first choice targets?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:15 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Didn't he say he was delighted he got most of his first choice targets?

With the exception of Naylor, yes.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:04 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:The other two we missed out on were again someone who got a better offer in a higher league (injured anyway) and Piergianni who is awful.

But we missed out on them and have an appallingly weak centre of defence. Can’t you see that’s a failing because if you can’t then I do feel sorry for you.

I think you’ve misunderstood me Belly. My first post was asking OWS which of Cloughs top targets were missed out on, as OWS seems keen on shifting the blame from Clough for his terrible recruitment to Sharpe.

My point was that Clough got exactly who he wanted apart from Naylor. He got an offer from a higher league, I wouldn’t say that’s a failing of our club. Clough then had ten weeks to identify a second choice target, left it until deadline day and then his four choices consisted off another player likely going to a higher league who was injured, another injured player, a rubbish L2 player and Nartey.

I don't think for one minute Nigel Clough got exactly who he wanted apart from Naylor. He missed out on several other targets some named on here and no doubt others we don't know about.

What positions are you talking about?
He missed out on two centre backs that have been discussed on here. He missed out on two players from Burton. That's four that we know about. I would assume there are an equal number that we don't know about, that he's also wanted but for whatever reason was unable to sign.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:15 pm

Piergianni did ok against us?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:20 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Wrong again Musings.

I am not trying to shift the blame onto Mr Sharpe just putting it forward that he could well have had a hand in the transfer market failings. I don't know anymore than you do.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:48 pm

oldweststander wrote:

Piergianni did ok against us?

So have the other four lots of defenders we’ve come up against in the last four games.

You said that Clough was carrying the cab for some of Sharpe’s failings.

Andy, we missed out on numerous targets but only for one position. One out of nine isn’t too bad is it?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:55 pm

Tuesday night the performance is even more important than the result if we are to have any hope for the rest of the season.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:33 pm

five to three wrote:Tuesday night the performance is even more important than the result if we are to have any hope for the rest of the season.

I don't think it is. We need a result somehow, even if it's an own goal and a 1-0 win.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:02 pm

The One wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Didn't he say he was delighted he got most of his first choice targets?

Hardly going to say otherwise before the season is he. Imagine him saying no we missed out on most, these lads will have to do, great for morale
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:16 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
The One wrote:

Hardly going to say otherwise before the season is he. Imagine him saying no we missed out on most, these lads will have to do, great for morale

Why not? Can't imagine calling players second string, slagging off groups of players and accusing a player of not tackling his mates being good for morale either.

Thought Clough was a "straight talker" who "says it how it is"?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:17 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
The One wrote:

He didn’t say it because he didn’t miss out, Naylor aside.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:20 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
The One wrote:

Why not? Can't imagine calling players second string, slagging off groups of players and accusing a player of not tackling his mates being good for morale either.

Thought Clough was a "straight talker" who "says it how it is"?

Whooooosh
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:36 pm

Naylor Naylor Pah. We need to forget him
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:25 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
The One wrote:

Certainly did, theme of the summer. How we ended up with Nartey and Forrester is the same for a few others. Either players deciding to go elsewhere higher up the pyramid or us not wanting to pay a fee or meet wage demands.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:39 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
The One wrote:

Certainly did, theme of the summer. How we ended up with Nartey and Forrester is the same for a few others. Either players deciding to go elsewhere higher up the pyramid or us not wanting to pay a fee or meet wage demands.

For one position yes, centre back. Bishop, Johnson, Hawkins, Oates, Quinn, Hewitt all first choice.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:04 pm

Quinn agreement before the end of the seasonn, even offered him the armband. Hence no rush or panic when he went on his jollies and hadn't signed yet.
Hewitt wasn't first choice, But Burton quickly declined our early advances and we got Hewitt snapped up.
Neither was Oates, he was expected to rejoin pools when he made it clear he was available the club acted fast. We weren't the first club to make contact with him, or offer him the most.. Morecambe offered him a deal which I'm surprised he didn't go for

Bishop Johnson and Hawkins were.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:42 am

Sedgwick wrote:Quinn agreement before the end of the seasonn, even offered him the armband. Hence no rush or panic when he went on his jollies and hadn't signed yet.
Hewitt wasn't first choice, But Burton quickly declined our early advances and we got Hewitt snapped up.
Neither was Oates, he was expected to rejoin pools when he made it clear he was available the club acted fast. We weren't the first club to make contact with him, or offer him the most.. Morecambe offered him a deal which I'm surprised he didn't go for
Bishop Johnson and Hawkins were.

I'd imagine Morecambe are feeling that they're glad he turned them down now.
Folk on here slated Reid last season and to me Oates is no better.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:56 am

It's windy,we might get away with a 0 0 bore draw.Never seen a decent match at the Mill in a strong wind.
My plan A for tonight-shoot from miles out and hope we fluke a goal carried by the wind.
Cheery beggar I am.
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:22 am

No pressure tonight then a team ravaged by injuries playing a in form Vale and we must win, Clough stated never known any thing like this in 40 years of football.
So many problems in the squad. He said working with Sharpe, and the Radfords is a fine.
He thinks the fans are brilliant and most understand the dilemma they are in, and we have to start winning matches, Tues would be nice, but if not we go again Sat.
He also said it would not take much to get this team firing again.
Back to basics players come and go. managers build
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:47 am

The team hasn't been 'firing' all season for me, let alone 'again'.

Analyze it from game one Bristol at home who had no strike force on the day and we won with a last minute penalty.
Newport we were desperate for the final whistle and hanging on, not going for a third killer goal.
Then Colchester, the game shoul've been dead if we'd had strikers firing anything other than blanks and the last min pen a mere consolation.

It's gone downill faster than Franz Klammer since then.

We've not been 'firing' at all this season.

Just my opinion.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:55 am

I would agree with that Spiro.

If you look back to Clough's comments from those first couple of games that we won, he was saying that we weren't quite hitting last seasons end of season levels, but it was early days so to be expected. But now when Clough refers back to the start of the season he says we were putting in brilliant performances.

The results were good but whilst we deserved to beat Colchester, we could easily have drawn with Newport so it evened itself out.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:01 am

if we lose tonight is he gone Yes or No ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:07 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I would agree with that Spiro.

If you look back to Clough's comments from those first couple of games that we won, he was saying that we weren't quite hitting last seasons end of season levels, but it was early days so to be expected. But now when Clough refers back to the start of the season he says we were putting in brilliant performances.

The results were good but whilst we deserved to beat Colchester, we could easily have drawn with Newport so it evened itself out.
Compared to now those performances were much better.

Then things started going against us in terms of injuries and decisions.

I agree recruitment has been disappointing but other circumstances have hit us hard.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:12 am

We got lucky against Bristol and Newport Andy. But for a last min pen against 10 man Bristol we'd be bottom two.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum