{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tues night no excuses

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Tues night no excuses

Postby marksay » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:00 pm

Port Vale has to be three points Quinn back Forrester must play , Bowery out .
If we don’t win then I think our Nige time will be limited
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Tues night no excuses

Postby The One » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:03 pm

If we lose it will be his swansong I feel
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:04 pm

The One wrote:If we lose it will be his swansong I feel

He'll get the vote of confidence, lose on Tuesday and then get the sack
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:08 pm

Time for some of these players to put some effort in or leave

In January I’d be looking to ship out Bowery o Clarke Hewitt rawson oats Johnson burk
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby julianshatnasty » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:22 pm

Is 'spellchecker' one word or two?
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:20 pm

Tuesday is not going to be pretty, on or off the pitch.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:28 pm

wardy12345 wrote:Time for some of these players to put some effort in or leave

In January I’d be looking to ship out Bowery o Clarke Hewitt rawson oats Johnson burk

Agreed
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:04 pm

Wont happen, only way to get rid is making them free agents

And some of those players... Oates, Hewitt and burke are here because they cost hardly anything to be here.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:05 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

And some of those players... Oates, Hewitt and burke are here because they cost hardly anything to be here.

Would love to know the wage bill we had under Evans and Flitcroft compared to last season and this season. I bet the difference is massive.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:21 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Would love to know the wage bill we had under Evans and Flitcroft compared to last season and this season. I bet the difference is massive.

I mean its easy to see isn't it?

Going from Defenders like Bennett, Benning, Mirfin, Diamond, KP, White to Burke, J. Clarke, Hewitt, Nartey and Forrester...
Midfielders like Mellis, McDonald, Byrom, Anderson, Khan, Atkinson, to Ward, Law, O.Clarke etc
Wingers like CJ to having absolutely none :lol:
Forwards like Walker, Angol, Rose to Johnson and bowery...

Not all those that were here previous were quality, some were, but they were all experienced and reliable players. We used to play like we could beat anyone and for this level had a bloody good team.

We now have one decent starting 11, that's not going to play again this season and the rest are incredibly below par. Clough is having to make do with what hes got, I can only see a new manager doing well if they are either incredible at recruitment and find some absolute gems for nothing or they're allowed to spend again.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:23 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Going from Defenders like Bennett, Benning, Mirfin, Diamond, KP, White to Burke, J. Clarke, Hewitt, Nartey and Forrester...
Midfielders like Mellis, McDonald, Byrom, Anderson, Khan, Atkinson, to Ward, Law, O.Clarke etc

Not all those that were here previous were quality, some were, but they were all experienced and reliable players. We used to play like we could beat anyone and for this level had a bloody good team.

We now have one decent starting 11, that's not going to play again this season and the rest are incredibly below par. Clough is having to make do with what hes got, I can only see a new manager doing well if they are either incredible at recruitment and find some absolute gems for nothing or they're allowed to spend again.

Yes, I'd just like to see it in numerical fashion!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:35 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Me too, don't blame the club after the pandemic but we seem miles behind everyone else.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:46 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

There was some accounts released not long ago. I think they showed that the spending increased further going from Flitcroft and to Dempster/Coughlan.

I will assume we won't find out last seasons until next year. Darren (Tippy Tappy Football) is the guy who can shed more light on it. He usually does breakdowns of it.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:02 am

Trouble is giving mediocre players 2 year contracts , not working out & then left with them .
Clough seems to believe he can turn poor players into good ones ... not working .
What beats me is that we sign players that have had good previous seasons & end up flops when they put our shirt on .
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby diablo » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:03 am

west country stag wrote:Trouble is giving mediocre players 2 year contracts , not working out & then left with them .
Clough seems to believe he can turn poor players into good ones ... not working .
What beats me is that we sign players that have had good previous seasons & end up flops when they put our shirt on .

Absolutely agree..which of course leads to the Question...Are the Coaches and their methods at fault?...good players don't suddenly become poor players without a reason. Ollie Clarke for example outstanding at Bristol R and made Captain when he arrived but he is a shadow of his former self..why? also we have been told several injuries have happened during training...why ?
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:21 am

diablo wrote:
west country stag wrote:Trouble is giving mediocre players 2 year contracts , not working out & then left with them .

Absolutely agree..which of course leads to the Question...Are the Coaches and their methods at fault?...good players don't suddenly become poor players without a reason. Ollie Clarke for example outstanding at Bristol R and made Captain when he arrived but he is a shadow of his former self..why? also we have been told several injuries have happened during training...why ?

To be fair Coughlan was the same. Did well at Bristol Rovers came here and was shocking.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:01 pm

I really hope the Port Vale game isn't Nigel's last, I still think he is carrying the can for Sharpe in some missed transfer target instances?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:48 pm

Port Vale won 4 out of their last 5, riding high and our depleted squad have to win, im sure i heard from Clough that with our players back the turn around will take time.
confidence is low moral is low, lady luck seems to have deserted us.
Time for something new, let the manager dealith with it
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:48 pm

oldweststander wrote:I really hope the Port Vale game isn't Nigel's last, I still think he is carrying the can for Sharpe in some missed transfer target instances?

Which missed targets are these OWS? He got his first choice keeper, two first choice strikers, Quinn and Oates. The only area he struggled was centre back. He wanted Naylor who was all but signed but then got a better offer. That’s nothing to do with Sharpe. The rest of the signings were bought into bolster the squad and provide back up.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:02 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
oldweststander wrote:I really hope the Port Vale game isn't Nigel's last, I still think he is carrying the can for Sharpe in some missed transfer target instances?

Which missed targets are these OWS? He got his first choice keeper, two first choice strikers, Quinn and Oates. The only area he struggled was centre back. He wanted Naylor who was all but signed but then got a better offer. That’s nothing to do with Sharpe. The rest of the signings were bought into bolster the squad and provide back up.

Not entirely accurate,we missed out on two centre backs after the Naylor change of heart. Why we missed out is unlikely to be down to Nigel but very likely to be something to do with the terms we were offering. Then we bolstered the squad with two injured players who, apart from two awful performance when carrying an injury
by Narty have hardly kicked a ball for us.

Then add Quinn's suspension etc, it is a perfect storm but not, I feel, all down to the manager.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:29 pm

The other two we missed out on were again someone who got a better offer in a higher league (injured anyway) and Piergianni who is awful.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:03 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:The other two we missed out on were again someone who got a better offer in a higher league (injured anyway) and Piergianni who is awful.

But we missed out on them and have an appallingly weak centre of defence. Can’t you see that’s a failing because if you can’t then I do feel sorry for you.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:12 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:The other two we missed out on were again someone who got a better offer in a higher league (injured anyway) and Piergianni who is awful.

But we missed out on them and have an appallingly weak centre of defence. Can’t you see that’s a failing because if you can’t then I do feel sorry for you.

I think you’ve misunderstood me Belly. My first post was asking OWS which of Cloughs top targets were missed out on, as OWS seems keen on shifting the blame from Clough for his terrible recruitment to Sharpe.

My point was that Clough got exactly who he wanted apart from Naylor. He got an offer from a higher league, I wouldn’t say that’s a failing of our club. Clough then had ten weeks to identify a second choice target, left it until deadline day and then his four choices consisted off another player likely going to a higher league who was injured, another injured player, a rubbish L2 player and Nartey.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:14 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I think you’ve misunderstood me Belly. My first post was asking OWS which of Cloughs top targets were missed out on, as OWS seems keen on shifting the blame from Clough for his terrible recruitment to Sharpe.

My point was that Clough got exactly who he wanted apart from Naylor. He got an offer from a higher league, I wouldn’t say that’s a failing of our club. Clough then had ten weeks to identify a second choice target, left it until deadline day and then his four choices consisted off another player likely going to a higher league who was injured, another injured player, a rubbish L2 player and Nartey.

I see. I agree with that.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:36 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I don't think for one minute Nigel Clough got exactly who he wanted apart from Naylor. He missed out on several other targets some named on here and no doubt others we don't know about.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum