{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Northampton Score Thread sponsored by Rose bound to score

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Northampton Score Thread sponsored by Rose bound to scor

Postby Whitehalls Left Foot » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:17 pm

When the only centre half (allegedly) we signed start of season is Elliott Hewitt with his relegation history and we dont manage to sign anyone else of ANY quality what did Mr Clough think would happen ?
Whitehalls Left Foot
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:20 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Don’t know how Clough will fix this. I don’t think some of these players care to be honest and once that happens you’re in deep, deep trouble.

This squad’s got all the hallmarks of a relegation side hasn’t it. Can’t defend, no physicality, rubbish in the air, no playmakers, nobody wants to take some responsibility on the ball, no pace. What are we good at?

Agree. And we aren’t good at anything.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:20 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Don’t know how Clough will fix this. I don’t think some of these players care to be honest and once that happens you’re in deep, deep trouble.

This squad’s got all the hallmarks of a relegation side hasn’t it. Can’t defend, no physicality, rubbish in the air, no playmakers, nobody wants to take some responsibility on the ball, no pace. What are we good at?

Sadly you have nailed it there . Question whether they are playing for the manager as well .
If the return of one player (Quinn) turns this around he should be in the premier league .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:20 pm

Whitehalls Left Foot wrote:When the only centre half (allegedly) we signed start of season is Elliott Hewitt with his relegation history and we dont manage to sign anyone else of ANY quality what did Mr Clough think would happen ?

Probably that Perch wouldn't be ruled out forever with a fractured skull and that him and Rawson would continue to form a partnership together. Obviously we did not sign good enough defenders, but having our best one out for the rest of the year was not planned for
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:23 pm

It goes back to identity and philosophy. We don’t have either.

Think about it like this. If you have no idea about what style of football we want to play, how you you bring in players who fit that style or plan training sessions to embed that style?

I was ecstatic when we brought Clough in, but honestly I think he is well past his sell by date. I can’t see a way back from here, we are a complete mess.

The last three managers who had a clear identity were Cox, Murray and Flitcroft.

Evans threw money at it.

Everyone else since Curle has been a disaster.

If I could bring in anyone tomorrow it would be Flynn. If he doesn’t want it then Murray or Curle who might both be gettable.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Whitehalls Left Foot » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:23 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Whitehalls Left Foot wrote:When the only centre half (allegedly) we signed start of season is Elliott Hewitt with his relegation history and we dont manage to sign anyone else of ANY quality what did Mr Clough think would happen ?

Probably that Perch wouldn't be ruled out forever with a fractured skull and that him and Rawson would continue to form a partnership together. Obviously we did not sign good enough defenders, but having our best one out for the rest of the year was not planned for

I know what ur saying but Perch was never planned to be the first choice centre half surely , hence why we tried for Naylor and then Hughes on deadline day ?

Point is Hewitt, Nartey not good enough, cant comment on Forrester but feel for the lad coming into this
Whitehalls Left Foot
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnny H » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:23 pm

As many of you know I have probably been NC's biggest critic and said he was a bad appointment the day he joined the club.
His management style only knows one way and he lost that at Burton a few years ago
However........we need to give him a few more weeks and games.
I cannot remember NC ever joining a club and overseeing instant success (I am sure you will correct me Broomo if I am wrong)
Also....who is available ?
Flynn would not be a great appointment either in my eyes and I am unsure who is currently unemployed that would turn us around.
Newport played poor hoofball tactics and bullied their way to the play off spots...he was found out when his better players left
If.......NC loses his job we need a manager like Weaver at Harrogate who embraces the attacking style of play and sets his teams out with a purpose and a style of play.
But why would he (or others) come here and leave the smashing little club he has helped to build !!
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:24 pm

The players he's signed are mot even National league. standard. We had a better team in non league and certainly one with more fight and heart.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby chip63 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:25 pm

Would a new manager be able to get more out of the current team from now til January?
If the answer is yes then John and Caroline have no choice really.
Personally I'd give him 5 more games to see how he does with Quinn Sinclair and Forrester as his options, I like most of supporters really want him to succeed.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:25 pm

broomo wrote:Let me be clear. I don't want him to be sacked, obviously.

I hope JR doesn't pull the plug but with the results as they have been, he would be entitled to do so.

Got everything crossed that even something as simple as Quinn coming back in will settle us down and get us playing.

Johnson hasn't been the player I was expecting at all. We need goals and I don't know where they are coming from.

Dark times right now. We've got to turn the corner and quickly.

I recently wrote he would be gone after the next four games and as usual got blasted for it...but seriously can you see us winning any of the next three games...it looks a monumental task to me, I don't wish to see him sacked but he really has to pull a rabbit out of the hat now or he is a goner..Quinn will make a difference if he can manage to stay on the pitch..but apart from introducing Quinn and Forrester I can't see what else can be done...its just not happening for him
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:26 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:It goes back to identity and philosophy. We don’t have either.

Think about it like this. If you have no idea about what style of football we want to play, how you you bring in players who fit that style or plan training sessions to embed that style?

I was ecstatic when we brought Clough in, but honestly I think he is well past his sell by date. I can’t see a way back from here, we are a complete mess.

The last three managers who had a clear identity were Cox, Murray and Flitcroft.

Evans threw money at it.

If I could bring in anyone tomorrow it would be Flynn. If he doesn’t want it then Murray or Curle who might both be gettable.

Murray? Are you serious? Murray's identity was to park 10 men behind the ball and not concede and he couldn't get that right.

Loved him as a player, but as a manager he wasn't very good. He signed some good players though, I'll give him that
Last edited by bobbystagsfan on Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:27 pm

The other manager who would be interesting (but risky) would be Luke Garrard from
Boreham Wood
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:28 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:It goes back to identity and philosophy. We don’t have either.

Evans threw money at it.

Murray? Are you serious? Murray's identity was to park 10 men behind the ball and not concede and he couldn't get that right.

Loved him as a player, but as a manager he wasn't very good. He signed some good players though, I'll give him that

Murray has a lot more coaching experiance under his belt now.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:29 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Murray? Are you serious? Murray's identity was to park 10 men behind the ball and not concede and he couldn't get that right.

Signed the players that became our backbone for the following 3 managers. He was too defensive, but he was operating on a relative shoestring and we always competed.

He has also had the benefit of developing at Barnsley. I think he would be a decent appointment
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:30 pm

Hopefully Quin and Maris will make a big difference on Tuesday.

Very disappointed with today's display.

We are in for a relegation battle. I don't think changing the manager will change that.

I didn't help Cheaterfield or County.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:31 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Murray? Are you serious? Murray's identity was to park 10 men behind the ball and not concede and he couldn't get that right.

Signed the players that became our backbone for the following 3 managers. He was too defensive, but he was operating on a relative shoestring and we always competed.

He has also had the benefit of developing at Barnsley. I think he would be a decent appointment

Sorry but this place was toxic as anything when Murray was in charge and we were headed one way until Evans came in.

I'm sure he said in an interview he didn't want to go back to management and was happy with his role at Barnsley.

I'm gobsmacked I've not seen a Flitcroft or Darrell Clarke suggestions yet :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:32 pm

Johnny H wrote:As many of you know I have probably been NC's biggest critic and said he was a bad appointment the day he joined the club.
His management style only knows one way and he lost that at Burton a few years ago
I cannot remember NC ever joining a club and overseeing instant success (I am sure you will correct me Broomo if I am wrong)

Flynn would not be a great appointment either in my eyes and I am unsure who is currently unemployed that would turn us around.
Newport played poor hoofball tactics and bullied their way to the play off spots...he was found out when his better players left
If.......NC loses his job we need a manager like Weaver at Harrogate who embraces the attacking style of play and sets his teams out with a purpose and a style of play.
But why would he (or others) come here and leave the smashing little club he has helped to build !!

First time around at Burton was pretty sharpish but other than that, no, it's typically taken a while.

I've never known him miss out on so many of his first and second choice targets though.

I don't blame Sharpe for that, just think it's difficult to attract the quality he wants to a bottom half league 2 club.

Unless our position and form dramatically improve, it's not going to get any easier in January.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:32 pm

The circumstances are different than they were for Chesterfield and County. They were both circuses at the top.

As far as I know we aren’t
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:34 pm

I blame the fredder for jinxing it. :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:39 pm

The One wrote:I blame the fredder for jinxing it. :D

I blame the mods for not editing it properly :D
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Whilst I am sure we will be stronger with the return of Quinn and Maris it just means NC will revert back to the diamond in midfield.

For me we need Gordon back ASAP and then play him and Macca as wide midfielders in a 442....(J.Clarke and Burke as Full backs)
Or go with 3 CH's and have Gordon and Macca as Wing Backs
Got to be the best option we have until January.
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Sneag wrote:Looks like I picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue.

:lol: :lol:
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:48 pm

broomo wrote:
Johnny H wrote:As many of you know I have probably been NC's biggest critic and said he was a bad appointment the day he joined the club.

First time around at Burton was pretty sharpish but other than that, no, it's typically taken a while.

I've never known him miss out on so many of his first and second choice targets though.

I don't blame Sharpe for that, just think it's difficult to attract the quality he wants to a bottom half league 2 club.

Unless our position and form dramatically improve, it's not going to get any easier in January.

It’s about money, plenty of less attractive clubs have recruited far better than us without as much money.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:49 pm

Johnny H wrote:Whilst I am sure we will be stronger with the return of Quinn and Maris it just means NC will revert back to the diamond in midfield.

For me we need Gordon back ASAP and then play him and Macca as wide midfielders in a 442....(J.Clarke and Burke as Full backs)
Or go with 3 CH's and have Gordon and Macca as Wing Backs
Got to be the best option we have until January.

Said the same in the stands. Few around us greed.

Play with two wingers and let them attack and put the ball in the box. It's league two, so so so many goals come from out wide at this level and we have a massive striker in the middle.

Keep it simple, this diamond only works when you have bloody brilliant midfielders winning everything and passing their way through the middle of the pitch. We just can't do it with the players we have.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:52 pm

If we're to move on from Clough and look for a new manager, it's vital that we get someone who is a fit. Someone who's tactics have worked in league 2 in the last few years and who plays to a big man. With the right system around him, Hawkins would tear this league apart.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum