{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

When did booing your own team actually start?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: When did booing your own team actually start?

Postby adamstag » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:54 pm

There’s been a few times i’ve done it and i have no qualms in doing so, but i appreciate there who don’t for whatever reasons.

It would only be for real disasters of games, say the 2-1 reversal to accrington under cox, the loss at home to alfreton in the conference.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:31 pm

adamstag wrote:There’s been a few times i’ve done it and i have no qualms in doing so, but i appreciate there who don’t for whatever reasons.

It would only be for real disasters of games, say the 2-1 reversal to accrington under cox, the loss at home to alfreton in the conference.

And there in lies the complete pointlessness of booing your team off the pitch. 4 months after the loss to Alfreton at home, we won the league. Hardly disastrous.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:34 pm

Or Adam's booing spurred the team on to win the league? ;)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:43 pm

Rob wrote:
chip63 wrote:
Aspleystag wrote:You should have been there on Dec 15th 1976 when Matlock beat us 5-2 in the cup at home, now that was booing.

I was there and remember the total sadness and pain to this day, as a fan it hurts to hear your own supporters turn on your team and can only imagine how players feel hearing it.

This season must be one of the best for supporting our team in difficult scrappy games with no wins.

I was there and don't remember the boos, but I was only a young kid and my Grandad dragged me away before they scored the 5th.

I remember Big Bally going Radio Rental in the North Stand and being carried out by half a dozen coppers
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:36 pm

Aspleystag wrote:You should have been there on Dec 15th 1976 when Matlock beat us 5-2 in the cup at home, now that was booing.

Didn't do em any harm it seems and didn't go to the dressing room crying like a bunch of cry babies either. They knew it wasn't good enough shock or no shock, especially at home.
Going on to achieve the Division 3 Title ( not just promotion The League winners) sort of made a statement from the team as if to say,
"Ok Matlock was crap, will this do instead". :D

But on booing, it's something I never do, if it's that bad I've been on my way home long before the final whistle.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:34 pm

Never have and never will.

Doesn’t mean I’m happy but booing young players is clearly going to add no value and destroy confidence.

But I do understand that some on here won’t care about that
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:53 pm

Bear 73 - How can you support a team if you have no faith in the club or manager,
I respect David Sharpe and the remit from the owners to move the club forward, make it self supporting and appoint a Manager who will make the tough decisions

You probably don't remember some of the poor managers (Carlton Palmer for one) over the years with decent teams. The fans showed their lack of support for the manager whilst still supporting the team.

There is no new link between David Sharpe and the owners wanting to move the club forward. You forget when John Radford brought the club he said his ambition to get to the club to the Championship. Over the years he has always been fully committed to this aim, it’s nothing specific to do with David Sharpe.

It was Caroline who got the club to be self supporting. Let's see if David Sharpe can do the same for the 2021/22 season.

It was said the manager was appointed by the Board not a one man show
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:56 pm

James wrote:
adamstag wrote:There’s been a few times i’ve done it and i have no qualms in doing so, but i appreciate there who don’t for whatever reasons.

And there in lies the complete pointlessness of booing your team off the pitch. 4 months after the loss to Alfreton at home, we won the league. Hardly disastrous.

i note your point
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:56 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Or Adam's booing spurred the team on to win the league? ;)

Exactly mate :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:09 pm

adamstag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Or Adam's booing spurred the team on to win the league? ;)

Exactly mate :lol:

Knew we needed something to make us click that season :D
James
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:24 pm

Rob wrote:
chip63 wrote:

I was there and remember the total sadness and pain to this day, as a fan it hurts to hear your own supporters turn on your team and can only imagine how players feel hearing it.

This season must be one of the best for supporting our team in difficult scrappy games with no wins.

I was there and don't remember the boos, but I was only a young kid and my Grandad dragged me away before they scored the 5th.
I was there too as a nine year old and my mum and dad also dragged me away before they scored the 5th. You could hear the roar of their 5th goal as we walked back to the car in the club car park. I took some stick from my Man U, Liverpool, Forest supporting classmates when back at school.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:47 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Rob wrote:
chip63 wrote:

I was there too as a nine year old and my mum and dad also dragged me away before they scored the 5th. You could hear the roar of their 5th goal as we walked back to the car in the club car park. I took some stick from my Man U, Liverpool, Forest supporting classmates when back at school.

Funny isn't it. I was 8 and the main things I remember was a Matlock player with not much hair having a blinder and walking down Quarry Lane as they scored the 5th. It was a real shock and I might be wrong but we barely lost a game after that. I went to every home game and most away from 74 through to joining the RAF in 1988, I have never seen a side as good as that one (I doubt I ever will) yet on that day we were humiliated. The programme from that game is one of my most treasured possessions, some angry kid wrote a few things on the back pages :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:47 am

Chadman wrote:YorkshireStag - I watched Forest, Stags and Notts games in the 70s and can remember shouts of abuse and anguish but never saw any of those teams booed off at half or full time, not once.

Anyone else remember it?

Beano - you really don't want to be thinking about twitches in my underwear! It's not healthy.

made me giggle :D
I’ve booed a few refs in my time !
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby KJW STAG » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:37 am

:D Never boo at a match and never leave early no matter the result .

Now i do get annoyed at the chad when in articles wrong name of players and managers .
Also wrong players and dates on photos .

BOOOOOOOOO :lol: :lol: :lol:
KJW STAG
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum