{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Sack Race

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Sack Race 2021-2022

Postby oldweststander » Thu May 26, 2022 8:23 am

I think Cox to Notts would be a good appointment, if they fail to win the play offs.

Didn't Coxy once say he would never go to Chesterfield?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu May 26, 2022 8:24 am

Notts are out of play offs !!!!!
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu May 26, 2022 8:25 am

oldweststander wrote:I think Cox to Notts would be a good appointment, if they fail to win the play offs.

Didn't Coxy once say he would never go to Chesterfield?

Only just joined Boston though hasn't he?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu May 26, 2022 5:27 pm

Darrell Clarke signs a 5 year contract at Port Vale

Manager Darrell Clarke said “This was such an easy decision for me. The support my team and I have received has been second to none and we are building something very special at Port Vale. My focus, as always, remains on continuing to improve – match by match, season by season. And I’m so grateful for this opportunity to work with such incredible people. I love working for this club, the owners and Dave Flitcroft. We have such an honest and upfront relationship. The support I have received from day one has been fantastic. We constantly challenge each other because we are all obsessed with football and are driven to create a culture of improvement and success for Port Vale. The togetherness throughout the entire club has been shown on the pitch with the season we have had so far. I want more. We all want more. This appetite is needed to drive the club forward. Building a winning culture is what we are all about.”

Clarke was appointed in February 2021, guided the club to mid-table safety last season and has now led the club to within one game of a return to League One after a five-year exile. Director of football David Flitcroft, who recruited Clarke and then worked closely with him to rebuild the squad, said: “Darrell is a credit to the club with his passion, his drive and his enthusiasm. I knew that was a part of who he was when we brought him to the club but now I’ve seen it and felt it. What we know now, a year on, is that Darrell has developed fantastic relationships with the chair and the owners, with myself, with the chief executive, the board and everyone around the club. With regard to players, Darrell wins their hearts and minds. They would run through a brick wall for him. He cultivates a very good dressing room environment and passes on to players the values of the club from the top – from Carol. If you want to build anything strong you need a really strong foundation. The decision on a five-year deal is to keep everyone settled and make sure that everyone knows that for the next five years we are working towards something we all believe in as a club. Even during very testing times with Covid, problems with injuries and unprecedented personal challenges, Darrell has come through it with unbelievable strength of character. You look at someone’s qualities through adversity and the truth is that he dealt with all those challenges brilliantly.

“Darrell also takes a keen interest in the Academy. Darrell watches the players and has them training with him. He’s not an isolated manager who just wants to focus on the First Team and nothing else. And that’s really important to us as a club. Ultimately, we believe Darrell Clarke takes us forward to where we want to get to. He’s got the ability to do that and he’s certainly got the passion.”

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... ct-7133120
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu May 26, 2022 5:51 pm

Steve King sacked after 2.5 seasons at Dartford. They lost in the play offs to Ebbsfleet.

I bumped into him at Wembley on Sunday and he said that his budget at Macclesfield in 2012-2013 when the Stags won the league was only £600,000 when they faded towards the end of the season and finished 11th. He lives in Eastbourne and commuted up to Macclesfield.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu May 26, 2022 6:18 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Darrell Clarke signs a 5 year contract at Port Vale

Manager Darrell Clarke said “This was such an easy decision for me. The support my team and I have received has been second to none and we are building something very special at Port Vale. My focus, as always, remains on continuing to improve – match by match, season by season. And I’m so grateful for this opportunity to work with such incredible people. I love working for this club, the owners and Dave Flitcroft. We have such an honest and upfront relationship. The support I have received from day one has been fantastic. We constantly challenge each other because we are all obsessed with football and are driven to create a culture of improvement and success for Port Vale. The togetherness throughout the entire club has been shown on the pitch with the season we have had so far. I want more. We all want more. This appetite is needed to drive the club forward. Building a winning culture is what we are all about.”

Clarke was appointed in February 2021, guided the club to mid-table safety last season and has now led the club to within one game of a return to League One after a five-year exile. Director of football David Flitcroft, who recruited Clarke and then worked closely with him to rebuild the squad, said: “Darrell is a credit to the club with his passion, his drive and his enthusiasm. I knew that was a part of who he was when we brought him to the club but now I’ve seen it and felt it. What we know now, a year on, is that Darrell has developed fantastic relationships with the chair and the owners, with myself, with the chief executive, the board and everyone around the club. With regard to players, Darrell wins their hearts and minds. They would run through a brick wall for him. He cultivates a very good dressing room environment and passes on to players the values of the club from the top – from Carol. If you want to build anything strong you need a really strong foundation. The decision on a five-year deal is to keep everyone settled and make sure that everyone knows that for the next five years we are working towards something we all believe in as a club. Even during very testing times with Covid, problems with injuries and unprecedented personal challenges, Darrell has come through it with unbelievable strength of character. You look at someone’s qualities through adversity and the truth is that he dealt with all those challenges brilliantly.

“Darrell also takes a keen interest in the Academy. Darrell watches the players and has them training with him. He’s not an isolated manager who just wants to focus on the First Team and nothing else. And that’s really important to us as a club. Ultimately, we believe Darrell Clarke takes us forward to where we want to get to. He’s got the ability to do that and he’s certainly got the passion.”

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... ct-7133120

I mean firstly, I love Darrell Clarke and have a lot of time for DF, but secondly I think I’m going to throw up
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu May 26, 2022 6:26 pm

The One wrote:Notts are out of play offs !!!!!

So they are, my mistake.

Still think it would be a good move for both parties if he joined Notts.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu May 26, 2022 7:16 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu May 26, 2022 7:47 pm

Is Pete Wild off to Barrow?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu May 26, 2022 8:00 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Is Pete Wild off to Barrow?

Yes, a Barrow fan I know certainly thinks so. Apparently been ongoing since last week.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri May 27, 2022 10:18 am

Pete Wild is the new Barrow manager.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue May 31, 2022 12:13 pm

I recall she also turned down AFC Wimbledon a couple of years ago
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sedgwick » Tue May 31, 2022 12:23 pm

She sees mens football as a step down
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue May 31, 2022 12:42 pm

Sedgwick wrote:She sees mens football as a step down

I think that’s an oversimplification of what she said.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 31, 2022 12:48 pm

It would be if she joined Crawley :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Tue May 31, 2022 1:21 pm

She sees Wimbledon/Crawley as a step down from Chelsea, you mean.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue May 31, 2022 1:27 pm

eggy wrote:

I get that she sees it as a step down from Chelsea but at some point the barrier needs to be broken and if it's going to be her she needs to start somewhere.

I can't see a club above League 2 being brave enough to take the punt.

Get in somewhere, do a good job and then look to move up the ladder.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 31, 2022 1:38 pm

JFH and Mike Duff both been interviewed for vacant Barnsley job.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Tue May 31, 2022 1:45 pm

broomo wrote:
I can't see a club above League 2 being brave enough to take the punt.

I can't see any professional men's team that wants to be taken seriously appointing a woman, yet!

The amount of stick they'll get from fans if it doesn't work out will be unreal.

The standard of women's football is so far below that of the men's game at the minute.

Obviously with good reason as it's relatively a new thing that will take time to develop.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Tue May 31, 2022 2:25 pm

I remember doncaster belles in the 90s and women's football doing ok then, if that is 30+ years ago and it hasn't developed then I'm not sure when it will develop!
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue May 31, 2022 2:57 pm

eggy wrote:

Not Chelsea, Chelsea women's.

I think she doesn't think she's up to the task deep down, imagine it will be incredibly hard to become the first female manager of an EFL mens team, but it will happen. And she probably thinks its a way of refusing the idea the mens game is above the women's game, which in truth it is.

I think its sad she sees it as a step down, its really not. Certainly think the awareness and coverage of the women's game over the last few years is a good thing, but the constant forced narrative that they're on the same playing field is nonsense. Where are the actual women's clubs? theres very few, and without mens clubs most wouldn't exist. People simply aren't interested bar cup finals. I think it would grow if they could somehow breakaway and form their own clubs, with their own badges colours kits grounds etc... it would feel more genuine and authentic rather than just going to watch Man City Women. For starters stop calling it the women's super league, its not the FA Mens premier league is it. Theres little history in their game and I think they should start building some. London city lionesses are the only one I can think of, who I think broke away from Milwall
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue May 31, 2022 3:16 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
eggy wrote:

I think she doesn't think she's up to the task deep down, imagine it will be incredibly hard to become the first female manager of an EFL mens team, but it will happen. And she probably thinks its a way of refusing the idea the mens game is above the women's game, which in truth it is.

I think its sad she sees it as a step down, its really not. Certainly think the awareness and coverage of the women's game over the last few years is a good thing, but the constant forced narrative that they're on the same playing field is nonsense. Where are the actual women's clubs? theres very few, and without mens clubs most wouldn't exist. People simply aren't interested bar cup finals. I think it would grow if they could somehow breakaway and form their own clubs, with their own badges colours kits grounds etc... it would feel more genuine and authentic rather than just going to watch Man City Women. For starters stop calling it the women's super league, its not the FA Mens premier league is it. Theres little history in their game and I think they should start building some. London city lionesses are the only one I can think of, who I think broke away from Milwall

I agree with that, especially the forced narrative. Chelsea women averaged 3,000 this season, they were league champions. The WSL regularly had attendances lower than 1,000. To equate it in any way with the men's professional game is wrong and actually does the women's game a disservice. They need to grow their own sport, it will continue to grow but only if they don't alienate a high number male supporters, which I am afraid they are doing at the moment. I think the only way a woman can, in the short term, realistically become manager of a men's team is if she comes through the ranks of a men's club, ie has been coaching men's football - it really is so very different. As for Hayes, in effect by saying she should manage a men's team higher than League 2 (something repeated by a Sky reporter on Talksports White & Jordan earlier today) means they think she is better qualified than the likes of Nigel Clough? It's nonsense, is there a single football fan out there who would appoint Hayes ahead of Clough?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby maverick34 » Tue May 31, 2022 3:20 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
eggy wrote:

I think Coventry are there with a breakaway womens team as well. Seem to remember some sort of uproar when they reached one of the latter stages of the FA Cup this season just gone against Arsenal, and Arsenal used the Coventry City badge to promote tickets for the game on their website. Things are getting bigger in the womens game, but to think it'll ever be close to the level men's football is at is simply absurd...
maverick34
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 31, 2022 5:22 pm

Halifax Town have promoted Chris Millington to become their new manager. He was Pete Wild's assistant.

Former Woking manager, Alan Dowson, takes over from Steve King at Dartford.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Tue May 31, 2022 5:45 pm

Rob wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
eggy wrote:

I agree with that, especially the forced narrative. Chelsea women averaged 3,000 this season, they were league champions. The WSL regularly had attendances lower than 1,000. To equate it in any way with the men's professional game is wrong and actually does the women's game a disservice. They need to grow their own sport, it will continue to grow but only if they don't alienate a high number male supporters, which I am afraid they are doing at the moment. I think the only way a woman can, in the short term, realistically become manager of a men's team is if she comes through the ranks of a men's club, ie has been coaching men's football - it really is so very different. As for Hayes, in effect by saying she should manage a men's team higher than League 2 (something repeated by a Sky reporter on Talksports White & Jordan earlier today) means they think she is better qualified than the likes of Nigel Clough? It's nonsense, is there a single football fan out there who would appoint Hayes ahead of Clough?

I don't disagree with you or Sedgwick - just putting across how Hayes sees things, following the comments she made when she was linked with the Wimbledon job.

I think the first female manager will be a young coach working her way up in the men's game. Managers at the top of the women's game won't take the risk to their reputation.
eggy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum