{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Sack Race

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Sack Race

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:04 am

Well that's put shirts in tumble dryer hasn't it... :shock: :shock:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:18 am

Get a good manager for the level you are at and stick with him. Port Vale will massively regret this in three years time when they're flirting with the conference. Norwich were sick of going up and coming back down, so they solved this by getting rid and not going up. Every manager has a rough patch, but if DC was the right man a year ago he should still be the right man now.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:23 am

I’d love Clarke as manager, if Clough fails to make the playoffs then it’s a no brainer
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:30 am

Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:31 am

part time pete wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65297516

I am sure someone will blame Flitcroft ;)
part time pete

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:37 am

wink68 wrote:Get a good manager for the level you are at and stick with him. Port Vale will massively regret this in three years time when they're flirting with the conference. Norwich were sick of going up and coming back down, so they solved this by getting rid and not going up. Every manager has a rough patch, but if DC was the right man a year ago he should still be the right man now.

Great Post wink......they did us for good at Wembley last year and whatever has happened in League One shouldn't erase that they got there. This is so raspberry short sighted
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby wink68 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:49 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:I’d love Clarke as manager, if Clough fails to make the playoffs then it’s a no brainer

Until he losers 3 in a row then you'll sack him and start again. Stick with NC even if we don't go up. He's the right man, proved it before.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:51 am

If Clough doesn't sign a new deal then it's obvious who we will go for now then.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:04 am

stagmanrob wrote:If Clough doesn't sign a new deal then it's obvious who we will go for now then.

Maybe we already have :o
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:12 am

If we miss the playoffs Clarke’s 100% going to be our next manager.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:12 am

They deserve to get relegated now.

In respect of us ditching Clough for Clarke, I have mixed feelings and think it very unlikely. Maybe if we didn’t get up and weren’t top three in October/November we may take a punt but I don’t think it will happen otherwise.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:15 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:They deserve to get relegated now.

In respect of us ditching Clough for Clarke, I have mixed feelings and think it very unlikely. Maybe if we didn’t get up and weren’t top three in October/November we may take a punt but I don’t think it will happen otherwise.

A manager of his proven quality wont be around in October or November SPBS and by then we will be in groundhog mode again....
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:21 am

wink68 wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:I’d love Clarke as manager, if Clough fails to make the playoffs then it’s a no brainer

Until he losers 3 in a row then you'll sack him and start again. Stick with NC even if we don't go up. He's the right man, proved it before.

I have no wish to have anyone lose their job and won't call for that even though I have no faith or confidence in NC. Even if we make the play offs, and I accept its a 2 or 3 game lottery if we do, we haven't got the settled team to kill off the others, especially Bradford, Salford or Northampton (whoever else is there,) and no doubt we will have more injuries by then anyway. Others will make that decision in a months time but if it happens I'd welcome DC to Field Mill with open arms.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby wink68 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:23 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:

A manager of his proven quality wont be around in October or November SPBS and by then we will be in groundhog mode again....

Grass isn’t always greener. As we found out when Flitcroft went.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:26 am

wink68 wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

Flitcroft didn't "go" mate, he was sacked much to the surprise of many of us, to be followed by one of the most unfathomable, disastrous managerial appointments of all time.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:27 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:If we miss the playoffs Clarke’s 100% going to be our next manager.

And you know this ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:32 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:

No I don’t expect he will be but that doesn’t mean we will jettison Clough to bring him in before then. It’s irrelevant what our feelings are and I don’t think our owners will jump in for Clarke this early. Bringing Clarke in would probably mean another complete rebuild and another couple of wasted seasons while he gets it right. I just can’t see us going down that route until Nigel is a complete busted flush, if he ever is.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:35 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
wink68 wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

Flitcroft didn't "go" mate, he was sacked much to the surprise of many of us, to be followed by one of the most unfathomable, disastrous managerial appointments of all time.

By went I meant sacked. Which by not offering NC I new contract is essentially sacking him without paying compo.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby DURHAM STAG » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:36 am

Interesting reading Port Vale's fans forum - most of the anger seems directed towards David Flitcroft and the players but there is not always universal support for Darryl Clarke, talk of a breakdown between him and the coaching staff. Whatever the outcome of this season, I think Nigel Clough is the better option going forward, although I realise this is an unpopular view on this forum.
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:42 am

The One wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:If we miss the playoffs Clarke’s 100% going to be our next manager.

And you know this ?

Just seems too perfect doesn’t it, for both parties. If we miss the playoffs, Clough deserves to go and I think we’ll let him go if we do miss out on the top 7. Clarke’s got two league two promotions on his CV, he’s from Mansfield and he’s played for us.

Doubt a league 1 team will go for him, so we’d very likely be his most appealing suitor. We’re his hometown team, we’re ambitious and we’d give him a good budget and base to work with to get us promoted to League 1. If we don’t keep Clough, he’s surely going to be our number 1 target and I don’t think another club will offer him more than we could.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:44 am

Apparently Tranmere are after him.
part time pete

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:46 am

DURHAM STAG wrote:Interesting reading Port Vale's fans forum - most of the anger seems directed towards David Flitcroft and the players but there is not always universal support for Darryl Clarke, talk of a breakdown between him and the coaching staff. Whatever the outcome of this season, I think Nigel Clough is the better option going forward, although I realise this is an unpopular view on this forum.

They always say stuff like that. Bottom line is results have cost him, nothing else. It's incredibly short sighted from Vale, who have a low end League 1 budget.

I'd like to see Darrell here one day but would probably give Clough one more go at getting us up should we fail this season.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:05 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
The One wrote:

And you know this ?

Just seems too perfect doesn’t it, for both parties. If we miss the playoffs, Clough deserves to go and I think we’ll let him go if we do miss out on the top 7. Clarke’s got two league two promotions on his CV, he’s from Mansfield and he’s played for us.

Doubt a league 1 team will go for him, so we’d very likely be his most appealing suitor. We’re his hometown team, we’re ambitious and we’d give him a good budget and base to work with to get us promoted to League 1. If we don’t keep Clough, he’s surely going to be our number 1 target and I don’t think another club will offer him more than we could.

Except you posted if we do not make playoffs 100 percent certain etc
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:09 am

The One wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:
The One wrote:

And you know this ?

Except you posted if we do not make playoffs 100 percent certain etc

Yes. If we don’t make the playoffs, Clough will be gone I am sure. To not even make the top 7 when the target has clearly been to get promoted is a worthy reason for us to not extend his contract. So, if we miss out on the playoffs, I personally think it’s nailed on that Clough will be gone and that Clarke will be our number 1 target and that Clarke will want to come to us. Not that difficult to get your head round.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:22 am

We're currently sat in the playoff, not losing in a few games, a game in hand with injury ravaged side.

Clough STILL has us in the playoffs with everything that has gone against us.

We need to focus on this season, stick behind clough and the players and try and go one better than last.

If we fail to make it, by all means have a conversation.

If not, the negativity will only be felt in the stands and cascade down the players.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum