{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Sack Race

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Sack Race 2021-2022

Postby victor A block » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:17 pm

oldweststander wrote::coys:
NEStag wrote:He's also going on about how important it was when he was at Leeds and Rotherham that he lived in the place where the club was and that he'd do the same if he went to Bradford. Didn't he live in Peterborough though, when he managed us?!

Stamford.

Bejing.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:56 pm

He's hardly going to mention us, is he?

"My last job in league 2 was with Mansfield. I had the highest wage bill the club had ever had, at the time, and got them in the play offs. I abandoned them with 12 games to go. I left them with a huge wage bill and ~18 month deals for players nobody else would sign from them. Oh and I also managed to dupe some of the fans into thinking I was amazing and they convinced themselves my replacement is to blame for it all and that 8th then 4th is failure and 12th was very good..... Anyway, I like spending money and I'll sign so many players on high wages it will be worth it because it will force the players already there when I arrived to play better and be 1st teamers while my expensive signings sit in the stands. Won't matter in the end though because I'll just abandon ship if the run in for the last 12 games looks to be a tad difficult"

Or words to that effect ;)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:01 pm

gazza1988 wrote:He's hardly going to mention us, is he?

"My last job in league 2 was with Mansfield. I had the highest wage bill the club had ever had, at the time, and got them in the play offs. I abandoned them with 12 games to go. I left them with a huge wage bill and ~18 month deals for players nobody else would sign from them. Oh and I also managed to dupe some of the fans into thinking I was amazing and they convinced themselves my replacement is to blame for it all and that 8th then 4th is failure and 12th was very good..... Anyway, I like spending money and I'll sign so many players on high wages it will be worth it because it will force the players already there when I arrived to play better and be 1st teamers while my expensive signings sit in the stands. Won't matter in the end though because I'll just abandon ship if the run in for the last 12 games looks to be a tad difficult"

Or your words (opinion) with the last line laughable
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:10 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:

Yeah you're right, only a third(4) of the remaining games were against sides that made the play offs. That's fair. 2 of them were against the sides who finished 1st and 2nd. Not difficult ties at all.

My actual opinion is he left because he thought he was so special that he could get us promoted and Peterborough promoted in the same season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:25 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:

The whole lot is laughable just like the continued obsession he’s got of always bringing these two managers into everything.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:52 am

If Bradford fall for the Scottish Manager's spiel and take him on then they may as well give up.
The individual is so full of utter claptrap he may burst.
Questions I'd ask him if I was t Bantams chairman on his interview.

So Steve, you say the last time you managed at League Two level was at Rotherham. Forgive me but your memory is a little lax on your own CV. You seem to have swept certain parts of it under the carpet, would you like to expand on what I've said?

You say when you became Leeds and indeed Rotherham manager you would move to the area as you wanted to feel part of the club and engage with the community etc, etc. Your time at the League 2 club you have conveniently forgotten about did not muster the same commitment from you. Why was this?

In my research, yes Steve I have done some, I spoke with Mr John Radford, does that ring any bells?
No! Well that does surprise me as at the time, 'he's a great Chairman with a wonderful wife' you ever so frequently gushed. Anyway Mr Radford has told me you left his club as you'd had an offer from China and were on your way and conveniently 'popped in' to another club that had sacked their manager on the way down the A1 to Heathrow and decided on that job instead. Could you flesh out the bones on that. That is of course if you can remember.

Mr Radford also told me your recruitment of players did set back the club to a certain extent with big contracts given to players who played few games, 'a scattergun approach' was the phrase he used I think. Will you be using the same approach here.?

What are your recent successes at Peterborough and Gillingham?

Will Paul Raynor be your No2 ?

If we are indeed lucky enough to make a playoff berth will the lure of the Far East become too much for you?

You've said little in answer to all these questions Steve, ?

Get out you charlatan, and close the door behind you.

Miss Simpkins, please show in the next applicant!
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:15 am

Spiritater wrote:If Bradford fall for the Scottish Manager's spiel and take him on then they may as well give up.
The individual is so full of utter claptrap he may burst.
Questions I'd ask him if I was t Bantams chairman on his interview.

So Steve, you say the last time you managed at League Two level was at Rotherham. Forgive me but your memory is a little lax on your own CV. You seem to have swept certain parts of it under the carpet, would you like to expand on what I've said?

You say when you became Leeds and indeed Rotherham manager you would move to the area as you wanted to feel part of the club and engage with the community etc, etc. Your time at the League 2 club you have conveniently forgotten about did not muster the same commitment from you. Why was this?

In my research, yes Steve I have done some, I spoke with Mr John Radford, does that ring any bells?
No! Well that does surprise me as at the time, 'he's a great Chairman with a wonderful wife' you ever so frequently gushed. Anyway Mr Radford has told me you left his club as you'd had an offer from China and were on your way and conveniently 'popped in' to another club that had sacked their manager on the way down the A1 to Heathrow and decided on that job instead. Could you flesh out the bones on that. That is of course if you can remember.

Mr Radford also told me your recruitment of players did set back the club to a certain extent with big contracts given to players who played few games, 'a scattergun approach' was the phrase he used I think. Will you be using the same approach here.?

What are your recent successes at Peterborough and Gillingham?

Will Paul Raynor be your No2 ?

If we are indeed lucky enough to make a playoff berth will the lure of the Far East become too much for you?

You've said little in answer to all these questions Steve, ?

Get out you charlatan, and close the door behind you.

Miss Simpkins, please show in the next applicant!

Think youve been watching the Carry On Films again.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:32 am

Just glad we're past that era... Blank cheque book strategy nearly worked but two blokes ultimately failed with it and thank God it's not continued
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:23 am

Darragh MacAnthony has always said that he would not make the mistake of sacking Darren Ferguson again. It looks like Darren has had enough and handed his resignation in. He would be a great appointment for Bradford City.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:36 am

Steve Evans spoke well of John and Carolyn on The Hard Truth interview. I believe he still keeps in touch with John who got on well with him.

Darragh MacAnthony has always said that Steve Evans could get Bradford promoted to League 1 and I agree with him. Not sure about him taking Bradford any further though.

He did a good job at Gillingham finishing 10th on a low budget.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:12 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Steve Evans spoke well of John and Carolyn on The Hard Truth interview. I believe he still keeps in touch with John who got on well with him.

Darragh MacAnthony has always said that Steve Evans could get Bradford promoted to League 1 and I agree with him. Not sure about him taking Bradford any further though.

He did a good job at Gillingham :lol: :lol: Have you seen the table and where he left them? Thanks to him they will be League 2 next season. Don't let the facts get in the way of your rather bizarre admiration of Evans, a man who has failed at every club where he has not been given a massive wage budget. He's a complete and utter fraud who will only do well in his next job if he is given a huge wage bill - he isn't the only manager who would achieve success with that!!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:13 pm

Think your post suggests you know very little what’s happened and is indeed still going off at Gillingham.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:45 pm

Morecambe’s manager in talks with St Mirren to take over there, seems like a done deal, strong rumours that Derek Adams might return
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:53 am

Rob wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Steve Evans spoke well of John and Carolyn on The Hard Truth interview. I believe he still keeps in touch with John who got on well with him.

He did a good job at Gillingham :lol: :lol: Have you seen the table and where he left them? Thanks to him they will be League 2 next season. Don't let the facts get in the way of your rather bizarre admiration of Evans, a man who has failed at every club where he has not been given a massive wage budget. He's a complete and utter fraud who will only do well in his next job if he is given a huge wage bill - he isn't the only manager who would achieve success with that!!

No way would he take Bradford into the playoffs this season with the transfer window already over. His only tactic is spend, spend, spend.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:13 pm

I think Steve Evans would make the play offs easily with Bradford next season if appointed. The Stags would have made the play offs if he had stayed. I don't think Bradford will appoint him though. Their fans don't like him.

The Bradford Chief Exec, Ryan Sparks, is already getting loads of abuse off the fans.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... d-26296360
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby grufti » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:20 pm

We would have been promoted if he stayed, never mind the play offs
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:52 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I think Steve Evans would make the play offs easily with Bradford next season if appointed.

Maybe so, but the implication in his waffle to the Yorkshire post is that if appointed he would do it this year. He has never been great at motivating an existing squad, and has always thrown money at it in order to progress, so without a window there is no way he would do it this season.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:48 pm

Kenny Jacket has been sacked by Leyton Orient.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:12 pm

Dan wrote:Kenny Jacket has been sacked by Leyton Orient.

that felt inevitable
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby The One » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:15 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

that felt inevitable

Been on the cards for weeks
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:16 pm

Get yer coat Kenny.

No, it's jacket :D
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:28 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Get yer coat Kenny.

No, it's jacket :D

Been given the Phil Collins treatment :) No Jacket Required
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:11 am

Thought he very honest when we beat them.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:09 am

grufti wrote:We would have been promoted if he stayed, never mind the play offs
His job of getting us promoted was obviously not top of his priorities.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:13 am

The sacking at Leyton Orient was IMO expected. They have been over-reliant on two players (as noted when I previewed the Leyton Orient home game recently). When they don't score, the writing has been on the wall for weeks now. Just one goal scored after the new year speaks volumes. They could in fact be in danger of dropping out of the EFL once again.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum