{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Sack Race

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Sack Race 2021-2022

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:54 pm

diablo wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
diablo wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Just because there isn’t an obvious replacement, doesn’t mean it would be a good idea to keep a very underperforming person in their role.

He won’t be underperforming when he gets his first choice players back from suspension and injury.

This squad is more than capable of a top seven finish (over a full season) when he can pick the players he wants to play. We’ve hardly been thrashed by any team we lost to and can count ourselves unlucky even with so many players missing.

Sack him and we will drop even further adrift meaning a massive investment in January. It would be shear stupidity to sack him in these circumstances. I’m confident we will be lower to mid table by January unless we self destruct by sacking a proven manager who has the ability to pull it around.

Who are his first choice players?

Perch out for season so that really just leaves Quinn so hardly waiting on a lot to come back, its an excuse being trotted out too readily

Exactly

It's the best thing we have to look forward to right now. Our bench is very weak without all these players out.

If we can get a settled defence and get Hawkins back up top we will start climbing
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:10 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
broomo wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Just saw a stat that Beech was sacked after a run of 7 wins in 27 league games. Clough has the same number of wins over the same period.

Straight question.

Do you want him sacked. Yes or no?

You keep asking me and I keep answering, no.

As I continue to clarify, it would not surprise me if he was given the modern game, as not many managers survive a winless streak this long.

I don't keep asking.

I made a comment on twitter that for someone who doesn't want him fired you keep posting reasons why he should.

Then I saw your comment on this thread so thought I'd ask you straight.

At the moment it seems social media (more than at the games) is full of people saying I don't want him gone but he's raspberries.

WHEN he turns it around the same people will expect their constant criticism to be forgotten.

I'm saying and have throughout that if he gets time he'll turn it around. Others think we're in a relegation dog fight and when it's clear we're not they'll just say we were when they hammered him from pillar to post.

I would like (though I understand it won't happen) for those who support him or at least don't want him fired, not to be the ones pouring more oil on to the fire.

He's sorted out clubs in worse positions than this and he'll sort this out as well (sheff utd dropped to bottom of the league in the January before finishing 7th and getting to the FA Cup semi final). Some fans think he's so daft he doesn't see things aren't good. He's not as daft as they think.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:46 pm

broomo wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
broomo wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Just saw a stat that Beech was sacked after a run of 7 wins in 27 league games. Clough has the same number of wins over the same period.

Straight question.

As I continue to clarify, it would not surprise me if he was given the modern game, as not many managers survive a winless streak this long.

I don't keep asking.

I made a comment on twitter that for someone who doesn't want him fired you keep posting reasons why he should.

At the moment it seems social media (more than at the games) is full of people saying I don't want him gone but he's raspberries.

WHEN he turns it around the same people will expect their constant criticism to be forgotten.

I'm saying and have throughout that if he gets time he'll turn it around. Others think we're in a relegation dog fight and when it's clear we're not they'll just say we were when they hammered him from pillar to post.

I would like (though I understand it won't happen) for those who support him or at least don't want him fired, not to be the ones pouring more oil on to the fire.

He's sorted out clubs in worse positions than this and he'll sort this out as well (sheff utd dropped to bottom of the league in the January before finishing 7th and getting to the FA Cup semi final). Some fans think he's so daft he doesn't see things aren't good. He's not as daft as they think.

Broomo, I don’t want him to be sacked and feel he deserves time to turn things around based on the good job he did last season. Please believe me that if I believed he should be sacked, I would have no problem saying it. I was saying throughout all last season that he did a good job when others were critical, and I can’t remember criticising the transfer window last season when a lot of others did. I posted the stat for a few reasons. Firstly, I like stats in case you haven’t noticed. Secondly, someone mentioned last week (I think it was Rob) when I said that managers are lucky to survive such a run in the modern game that no other managers had been sacked yet, even those below us in the table, which was a reasonable point. So now we have a manager who has been sacked, it was an interesting comparison.

However, that doesn’t change the fact that the start to this season has been beyond disappointing, and there are numerous areas for which Clough has to take responsibility. To name three briefly without going into detail : Recruitment, defending set pieces, the generally terrible run of form. Two of those have nothing to do with the current injury crisis.

The disappointment is heightened if anything by my admiration of the job Clough did last season, and a firm belief I had at the start of the season that this could finally be the year. But in reality, it’s no different to the last two seasons so far. Unfortunately, or fortunately, you weren’t here to witness those starts and so I don’t think you can comprehend how disappointing it is for another season to start terribly after being sold a dream yet again.

The line in your post says it all about your view of Clough. ‘When he turns it around, People will expect their constant criticism to be forgotten’. There’s only a handful of people on here who constantly criticise, and nobody really pays much attention to their views. But you seemingly won’t accept any criticism, when it’s a perfectly normal part of being a football fan. And also, it’s spoken as if he is trying to turn around something which he has played no part in.

The key question is what is the acceptable amount of time he should be given to ‘turn things around’ with an already 9 league game winless run?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:53 pm

diablo wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
diablo wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Just because there isn’t an obvious replacement, doesn’t mean it would be a good idea to keep a very underperforming person in their role.

He won’t be underperforming when he gets his first choice players back from suspension and injury.

This squad is more than capable of a top seven finish (over a full season) when he can pick the players he wants to play. We’ve hardly been thrashed by any team we lost to and can count ourselves unlucky even with so many players missing.

Sack him and we will drop even further adrift meaning a massive investment in January. It would be shear stupidity to sack him in these circumstances. I’m confident we will be lower to mid table by January unless we self destruct by sacking a proven manager who has the ability to pull it around.

Perch out for season so that really just leaves Quinn so hardly waiting on a lot to come back, its an excuse being trotted out too readily

Exactly

Except it’s not just Perch and Quinn. Even if you ignore all of the others, you have not given any account of Hawkins having to play at the back. That effectively means probably the main three players are missing from the first team. Of course others are missing but those three alone weaken every part of the pitch apart from the keeper. As I said, no team has completely dominated us with 11 players on the pitch and with extra strength in defence, midfield and attack I would be amazed if we hadn’t gained at least 3 or 4 extra points. Those points alone would have put us lower mid table and at most 3 points off the playoffs.

Add in the less crucial players and we could have been very close to where many expected us to finish.

Clough will get us up the table and we mustn’t panic and throw him out.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:55 pm

I'm with Broomo all the way on this one
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby broomo » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:10 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
broomo wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
broomo wrote:

Straight question.

I don't keep asking.

Broomo, I don’t want him to be sacked and feel he deserves time to turn things around based on the good job he did last season. Please believe me that if I believed he should be sacked, I would have no problem saying it. I was saying throughout all last season that he did a good job when others were critical, and I can’t remember criticising the transfer window last season when a lot of others did. I posted the stat for a few reasons. Firstly, I like stats in case you haven’t noticed. Secondly, someone mentioned last week (I think it was Rob) when I said that managers are lucky to survive such a run in the modern game that no other managers had been sacked yet, even those below us in the table, which was a reasonable point. So now we have a manager who has been sacked, it was an interesting comparison.

However, that doesn’t change the fact that the start to this season has been beyond disappointing, and there are numerous areas for which Clough has to take responsibility. To name three briefly without going into detail : Recruitment, defending set pieces, the generally terrible run of form. Two of those have nothing to do with the current injury crisis.

The disappointment is heightened if anything by my admiration of the job Clough did last season, and a firm belief I had at the start of the season that this could finally be the year. But in reality, it’s no different to the last two seasons so far. Unfortunately, or fortunately, you weren’t here to witness those starts and so I don’t think you can comprehend how disappointing it is for another season to start terribly after being sold a dream yet again.

The line in your post says it all about your view of Clough. ‘When he turns it around, People will expect their constant criticism to be forgotten’. There’s only a handful of people on here who constantly criticise, and nobody really pays much attention to their views. But you seemingly won’t accept any criticism, when it’s a perfectly normal part of being a football fan. And also, it’s spoken as if he is trying to turn around something which he has played no part in.

The key question is what is the acceptable amount of time he should be given to ‘turn things around’ with an already 9 league game winless run?

I don't mind him being criticised, I've said myself that I think he's made mistakes. One of those was persisting with Kellan, who I've struggled to accept has been our first choice right back.

I don't mind criticism of his signings, even though I think it's too early to definitively write them off.

I don't mind genuine criticism, even a couple or 3/4 times, but when his character and ability is constantly pulled apart to the extent it dominates every thread and makes this place a horrible place to log in to, I think it's going too far and some (not all) of it is unjustified.

Those same "few" posters hammer Sharpe, Simon, JR, everything and I've always struggled to accept that "home" fans criticise to the point of vitriol and nastiness when it's about the club they supposedly care for deeply.

In terms of how long is too long, I think February. If we're still in the cart then I'd have no justifiable reason to complain if he was sacked.

I've been around football long enough to know that sometimes it's one result or one player away from clicking, from the whole mood changing.

I hope we get results soon. I hope we get that one player soon, whether that's Quinn coming back or whether it's a John Brayford type signing in January, I don't care.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:19 pm

That’s all fair enough, I don’t disagree with any of that.

I don’t think I worded my final question how I wanted thought. What I meant to say say, if the winless run continues, how much longer is long enough?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:45 pm

[quote="Sandy Pate Best Stag"

Who are his first choice players?[/quote]

Perch out for season so that really just leaves Quinn so hardly waiting on a lot to come back, its an excuse being trotted out too readily[/quote]

Exactly[/quote]

Except it’s not just Perch and Quinn. Even if you ignore all of the others, you have not given any account of Hawkins having to play at the back. That effectively means probably the main three players are missing from the first team. Of course others are missing but those three alone weaken every part of the pitch apart from the keeper. As I said, no team has completely dominated us with 11 players on the pitch and with extra strength in defence, midfield and attack I would be amazed if we hadn’t gained at least 3 or 4 extra points. Those points alone would have put us lower mid table and at most 3 points off the playoffs.

Add in the less crucial players and we could have been very close to where many expected us to finish.

Clough will get us up the table and we mustn’t panic and throw him out.[/quote]

Relying on old man Perch and having to move Hawkins to the back once again brings us back to poor recruitment.
Your reasoning doesn't stand up as the funds were obviously there but he blew it big time don't you think?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:36 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:[quote="Sandy Pate Best Stag"

Perch out for season so that really just leaves Quinn so hardly waiting on a lot to come back, its an excuse being trotted out too readily[/quote]

Exactly[/quote]

Clough will get us up the table and we mustn’t panic and throw him out.[/quote]

Relying on old man Perch and having to move Hawkins to the back once again brings us back to poor recruitment.
Your reasoning doesn't stand up as the funds were obviously there but he blew it big time don't you think?[/quote]

No I don’t actually think so.

He (and JR) always planned to run on a smaller squad utilising players who could cover more than one position. That always carries risk but the run of injuries/suspensions hasn’t been seen since Stuart Watkins was manager. They have been exaggerated by being mainly concentrated on defenders being unavailable.

The rebuilding project wasn’t aimed at instant success but more of a slower burn ensuring solid foundations. Obviously promotion was the ultimate aim but not necessarily this season.

We don’t know how much budget was reserved until January and players may have been brought in if we were in with a real shout. I’m still not sure if the cash will be splashed and if it looks like we will be ok, I can see Clough May only replace Perch and save the rest for next year. The youngsters will be closer to the finished article by then maybe allowing more money for an established strike force.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:07 pm

I don't think the words "JR" and "slow burn" go together :lol:

JR will want success this season and I'm sure he would have backed Nigel Clough if he wanted a larger squad like he backed Steve Evans, David Flitcroft, John Dempster and Graham Coughlan.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:13 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I don't think the words "JR" and "slow burn" go together :lol:

JR will want success this season and I'm sure he would have backed Nigel Clough if he wanted a larger squad like he backed Steve Evans, David Flitcroft, John Dempster and Graham Coughlan.

Most know that Tippy but some just refuse to see it, Sandy above being one example
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:55 am

diablo wrote:I think he has four games to save his job...they look like tough fixtures to me , nothing less than a win at Northampton will suffice ...hoping but not convinced

What a bloody stupid and negative post! We don’t need you as a fan! Go away to support Florist!
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:05 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I don't think the words "JR" and "slow burn" go together :lol:

Most know that Tippy but some just refuse to see it, Sandy above being one example

Fine if you think that.

Watch the piece that was placed on here about the last day of the transfer window and listen to the conversation between our chief executive and JR. JR talks about ‘The biggest squad in leagues 1 and 2’. Sharpe replies something along the lines of ‘If you count all of the youth players’.

I read that as Sharpe not thinking the squad had enough quality in depth and being made up of too many fringe players and not solid experienced pros. We don’t know what this year’s budget is and most think JR pays anything asked. I’m not so sure. I remember when Cox was in charge and JR told everyone the budget had been increased when it had actually been almost halved, so he’s not adverse to telling us what he thinks we want to hear.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not criticising JR as he has pumped unprecedented amounts into our club and I will always be grateful but he is a hard nosed businessman who knows how to sell a product. Following last season’s ban on crowds, the club needed to sell as many season tickets as possible and you don’t do that by telling customers the product has been cut.

We made some good signings this summer but most thought we were a couple of players short. Our unprecedented number of injuries and suspensions have left us threadbare and I just can’t see how sacking the manager will help or indeed be deserved. Yes he’s made mistakes but not of the type to lay all of the blame on him and inflict the ultimate punishment.

Of course I may be miles off the mark but unless we know the facts, we can only apply logic and guess.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:26 am

broomo wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
broomo wrote:

Straight question.

I don't keep asking.

The key question is what is the acceptable amount of time he should be given to ‘turn things around’ with an already 9 league game winless run?[/quote]

I don't mind him being criticised, I've said myself that I think he's made mistakes. One of those was persisting with Kellan, who I've struggled to accept has been our first choice right back.

I don't mind criticism of his signings, even though I think it's too early to definitively write them off.

I don't mind genuine criticism, even a couple or 3/4 times, but when his character and ability is constantly pulled apart to the extent it dominates every thread and makes this place a horrible place to log in to, I think it's going too far and some (not all) of it is unjustified.

Those same "few" posters hammer Sharpe, Simon, JR, everything and I've always struggled to accept that "home" fans criticise to the point of vitriol and nastiness when it's about the club they supposedly care for deeply.

In terms of how long is too long, I think February. If we're still in the cart then I'd have no justifiable reason to complain if he was sacked.

I've been around football long enough to know that sometimes it's one result or one player away from clicking, from the whole mood changing.

I hope we get results soon. I hope we get that one player soon, whether that's Quinn coming back or whether it's a John Brayford type signing in January, I don't care.[/quote]

February is far too late.. we will be as good as down if he carries on like this til Feb!

Xmas at the very latest
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:11 am

If you want to use the quote facility, click on quote on the post, then type your post underneath. If you find you made a mess of quoting a post, you can go back and edit your post to fix it. If you still can't get the quotes right, you could simply delete the quoted part and leave your own text.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby HU7stag » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:14 am

I'm hoping and I'm sure Cloughie will turn it around, however if we do happen to be in a similar position in February then I agree with Gazmoose, this would definitely have been too late.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:57 am

smulls wrote:
diablo wrote:I think he has four games to save his job...they look like tough fixtures to me , nothing less than a win at Northampton will suffice ...hoping but not convinced

What a bloody stupid and negative post! We don’t need you as a fan! Go away to support Florist!

Just my opinion of what might happen, although you may disagree I think your vitriol is uncalled for..check out the fixture list and tell me who you think we can beat in the next four games with the present run of form..Do you honestly think he will survive if it stretches to 15 games without a win? ...I'm hoping we win on Saturday and move on...as for your Forest Jibe..I've supported the Stags since 1968 through highs and lows so jog off yourself
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby chip63 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:06 am

Martin Shaw wrote:If you want to use the quote facility, click on quote on the post, then type your post underneath. If you find you made a mess of quoting a post, you can go back and edit your post to fix it. If you still can't get the quotes right, you could simply delete the quoted part and leave your own text.

I think there is a quote limit that stops you re-quoting a post with 4 or more already on.
It was a while ago I last tried and it said you've reached blah blah or something like that.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:18 am

chip63 wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:If you want to use the quote facility, click on quote on the post, then type your post underneath. If you find you made a mess of quoting a post, you can go back and edit your post to fix it. If you still can't get the quotes right, you could simply delete the quoted part and leave your own text.

I think there is a quote limit that stops you re-quoting a post with 4 or more already on.
It was a while ago I last tried and it said you've reached blah blah or something like that.

that's right. Probably easiest in that circumstance to simply not quote rather than make a mess of quoting.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bear 73 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:35 am

Clough does not need Mansfield Town, like all managers their is another job around the corner, and a nice rest period on full pay.
Clough has taken the job because of the potential Mansfield offers, and a bonus the fans are brilliant and have shown with season ticket sales their desire for a progressive club.
If Mansfield had solid foundations they would not have needed so many managers.
Last season he did his job maintained league status while cutting costs.
This season we have had a lot of bad luck, some of it self inflicted with suspensions, We are all disappointed with our start, Staff and fans.
But putting foundations in place is always the backbone to a structure.
Loyalty is a two way thing, Steve Evans is a example of disrespect, Clough refusing the Forest job to stay with Burton is the opposite respect.
Mansfield has a lot to offer and their is a lot of progress to be made, over time, would be nice more parking available, a more protected from the weather fanzone, fans in the bishop st stand.
This all has to start with events on the pitch, after 11 games and with so many players unavailable, i have had enough of defending every Decision made by our manager.
Even to who he puts on the bench, Never has their been so many moans by so few.
In CLOUGH We TRUST
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:42 am

bear 73 wrote:Clough does not need Mansfield Town, like all managers their is another job around the corner, and a nice rest period on full pay.
Clough has taken the job because of the potential Mansfield offers, and a bonus the fans are brilliant and have shown with season ticket sales their desire for a progressive club.
This season we have had a lot of bad luck, some of it self inflicted with suspensions, We are all disappointed with our start, Staff and fans.
Loyalty is a two way thing, Steve Evans is a example of disrespect, Clough refusing the Forest job to stay with Burton is the opposite respect.
Mansfield has a lot to offer and their is a lot of progress to be made, over time, would be nice more parking available, a more protected from the weather fanzone, fans in the bishop st stand.
This all has to start with events on the pitch, after 11 games and with so many players unavailable, i have had enough of defending every Decision made by our manager.
In CLOUGH We TRUST

Fair play Bear, I agree with that.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:49 am

bear 73 wrote:Clough does not need Mansfield Town, like all managers their is another job around the corner, and a nice rest period on full pay.
In CLOUGH We TRUST

Absolutely bang on bear, best post you've put on here.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:12 pm

In CLOUGH We TRUST

GREAT POST !!!! COYS
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:25 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
chip63 wrote:

that's right. Probably easiest in that circumstance to simply not quote rather than make a mess of quoting.

Apologies i didnt mean to offend the quote police :lol:
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby diablo » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:23 am

diablo wrote:
smulls wrote:

Just my opinion of what might happen, although you may disagree I think your vitriol is uncalled for..check out the fixture list and tell me who you think we can beat in the next four games with the present run of form..Do you honestly think he will survive if it stretches to 15 games without a win? ...I'm hoping we win on Saturday and move on...as for your Forest Jibe..I've supported the Stags since 1968 through highs and lows so jog off yourself

Smulls...so we didn't play well and lost at Northampton ,...now on to Tuesday against a side currently 3rd in the Division. I would be happy with a draw to be honest and totally ecstatic if we manage to win
...but if we lose on Tuesday then what ? If you were the owners what would you do next ?..maybe give him a couple more games or until Xmas ? or leave him in post to the end of the season and possibly face relegation ? Watching his post match interview yesterday he looked totally deflated and upset with the situation and not at all confident . He has obviously lost his Mojo
diablo
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum