{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Sack Race

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Sack Race

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:26 am

part time pete wrote:
part time pete wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65297516

I am sure someone will blame Flitcroft ;)

I blame Flitcroft
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:31 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:We're currently sat in the playoff, not losing in a few games, a game in hand with injury ravaged side.

Clough STILL has us in the playoffs with everything that has gone against us.

We need to focus on this season, stick behind clough and the players and try and go one better than last.

If we fail to make it, by all means have a conversation.

If not, the negativity will only be felt in the stands and cascade down the players.

Don't come on here being all positive. Let's all write this season off and get rid of NC, then start spending more of Radfords money
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:42 am

part time pete wrote:Apparently Tranmere are after him.

The talk up here from Tranmere fans in the last few weeks was that Karl Robinson was being lined up for the Tranmere job, being a local lad too. But I can imagine that he'd fit Port Vale quite well too, as he has a similar style of play to Flitcroft, although not sure how well they'd get on.

Footballs a funny game - sometimes managers can be too successful for their own good. If Vale hadn't gone up last season then Clarke would have probably still been their manager now.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:55 am

I don't understand the enthusiasm for those on here clambering for DC.

1. We currently have a manager.

2. We still have a chance at promotion.

3. DC has just been sacked for a poor run of results (so is currently a "failed manager").

4. Are we sure DC would want to come here, above any other club ?

5. Would JR want him here, or know what he is all about (he wasn't here when DC was)?

I'm sorry DC has lost his job. Also if NC did leave for whatever reason, I think we need a proper recruitment process with at least three candidates interviewed. However, that doesn't seem to be the Mansfield way.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Walton Stag » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:56 am

Promotion, play-offs, miss out on the play-offs, I believe we should stick with Nigel. I just think the club as a whole has improved immeasurably under Clough and Sharpe. We have the basis of an exceptional side, crowds are well up on previous seasons and I don’t think it is time to start again.

Tin hat on.
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:13 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:They deserve to get relegated now.

In respect of us ditching Clough for Clarke, I have mixed feelings and think it very unlikely. Maybe if we didn’t get up and weren’t top three in October/November we may take a punt but I don’t think it will happen otherwise.

A manager of his proven quality wont be around in October or November SPBS and by then we will be in groundhog mode again....

Even if Clarke takes over in the summer and we're not in the top 3 after 4 games you'll be jumping all over his back :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:19 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I don't understand the enthusiasm for those on here clambering for DC.

1. We currently have a manager.
Who is slowly but surely losing the support of the fan base

2. We still have a chance at promotion.
We might just sneak into 7th place.....that wasn't the vision.

3. DC has just been sacked for a poor run of results (so is currently a "failed manager").
But got his team promoted within 2 years last season.....most fans would've taken that rather than waiting to build a club and permanently staying in League 2.

4. Are we sure DC would want to come here, above any other club ?
Why wouldn't he if there was a vacancy and he was still available

5. Would JR want him here, or know what he is all about (he wasn't here when DC was)?
After appointing John Dempster I'm not sure that's qualifying material.....let DS appoint.

I'm sorry DC has lost his job. Also if NC did leave for whatever reason, I think we need a proper recruitment process with at least three candidates interviewed. However, that doesn't seem to be the Mansfield way.

Totally agree with that final statement Andy.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:23 pm

If there’s any doubt about Clough’s future, Clarke should be sounded out.

I don’t get the feeling there is any doubt about his future though.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:34 pm

part time pete wrote:
part time pete wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65297516

I am sure someone will blame Flitcroft ;)

DURHAM STAG wrote:Interesting reading Port Vale's fans forum - most of the anger seems directed towards David Flitcroft and the players.

;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:01 pm

Can I be the first on here to defend Darrell and ask the naysayers to try and get behind him, unlike how they did with the last twenty managers, or the next twenty.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:03 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:If there’s any doubt about Clough’s future, Clarke should be sounded out.

I don’t get the feeling there is any doubt about his future though.

I agree if Clough were to go Clarke is probably the best manager available but I wouldn’t even consider Clough going. We backed him in January so we should let him have at least another season. He has managed to keep us up there two years in a row and he will probably do that again.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby PaulG » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:51 pm

whether or not we are promoted this season, I hope NC stays. He's been patiently building a squad he can now call his own, most of whom, I believe, are under contract for next season at least. He's been very unlucky with injuries, and the squad is clearly a considerable improvement on the one he inherited.
As for Darrell Clarke, I remember him as a fine player and a fine young man. However, the credit for Port Vale's success last season has, at least, to be shared by Crosby, who was the de facto manager for a large part of the season.
Had we been promoted last season, I suspect we would have had a season much like Port Vale this season. We are similar sized clubs with a similar level of support, and both teams were in a state of flux. I'm not surprised they're dangerously close to the relegation places. A smallish club, newly promoted, needs time to find its feet. Sadly, they've decided to press the panic button and sack the manager. I always think this tells you a lot more about the inadequacies of those running the club than it does about the manager. By sticking with NC, I believe that when we do achieve promotion, we will be in a position to sustain our place in League 1. I'm not blind to his faults, but we are clearly a work in progress, and progressing in the right direction.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:14 pm

I don't think it'd be wise to not renew Clough's contract whatever happens between now and the end of the season.

I think he would have to clearly learn rom the mistakes that are evident from this season however, and some of his stubborness would need to be nipped in the bud far sooner if given another season at this level.

Regardless of who we end up with, long-term replacements for Quinn, O'Toole and Perch need to be sought - and personally I think the recruitment team we have now would be better positioned to find them.

I also think the left back problem will be addressed by Clough because Macca clearly isn't going to be reliable long term either, as he gets ever closer to the latter end of his career. That will also probably be in the works already.
Last edited by stagmanrob on Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:14 pm

PaulG wrote:whether or not we are promoted this season, I hope NC stays. He's been patiently building a squad he can now call his own, most of whom, I believe, are under contract for next season at least. He's been very unlucky with injuries, and the squad is clearly a considerable improvement on the one he inherited.
As for Darrell Clarke, I remember him as a fine player and a fine young man. However, the credit for Port Vale's success last season has, at least, to be shared by Crosby, who was the de facto manager for a large part of the season.
Had we been promoted last season, I suspect we would have had a season much like Port Vale this season. We are similar sized clubs with a similar level of support, and both teams were in a state of flux. I'm not surprised they're dangerously close to the relegation places. A smallish club, newly promoted, needs time to find its feet. Sadly, they've decided to press the panic button and sack the manager. I always think this tells you a lot more about the inadequacies of those running the club than it does about the manager. By sticking with NC, I believe that when we do achieve promotion, we will be in a position to sustain our place in League 1. I'm not blind to his faults, but we are clearly a work in progress, and progressing in the right direction.

Yes I agree. The only minor things I'd add is he does need to correct the clear squad imbalance in the summer. I'd also say we probably would have a bigger wage budget available in League 1 than Vale have so might have been doing a bit better.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:27 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Can I be the first on here to defend Darrell and ask the naysayers to try and get behind him, unlike how they did with the last twenty managers, or the next twenty.

Or we could get behind the manager we actually have.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:39 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Can I be the first on here to defend Darrell and ask the naysayers to try and get behind him, unlike how they did with the last twenty managers, or the next twenty.
I would get behind DC if he was our manager. However, he's not so why should we get behind him. ? We should be getting behind NC.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:44 pm

Clough’s going nowhere so DC will have to wait a while longer
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:49 pm

I would give Nigel Clough another two year contract. Make it three if we beat Harrogate at home.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:54 pm

PaulG wrote:whether or not we are promoted this season, I hope NC stays. He's been patiently building a squad he can now call his own, most of whom, I believe, are under contract for next season at least. He's been very unlucky with injuries, and the squad is clearly a considerable improvement on the one he inherited.

Crosby should obviously take some credit, but it was 10 games he was manager for, so not a large part of the season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:09 pm

wink68 wrote:

Or we could get behind the manager we actually have.

Whoosh
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:10 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
I would get behind DC if he was our manager. However, he's not so why should we get behind him. ? We should be getting behind NC.

Whoosh Whoosh
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:10 pm

Incidentally who is under contract next season. ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Old timer » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:13 pm

Most people on here recognised that Clarke ripped us, (and Cloughie), a new one tactically at the Wembley debacle and made us look like a pub team. It was only one game though. If Cloughie somehow gets us promoted this year it will all be forgotten but if he doesn't and Clarke is still unemployed there will be disappointment/popularity pressure from many to go for him. Will the Radfords go for him though?
Old timer
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby huthwaite stag » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:40 pm

Hi all....it might not be that relevant but it is 100% true via a person I work with who is very close to Daryl. Since the passing of his daughter his heart as not really been in it. Yes he's managed but honestly it's just been possibly something to keep him from going mad......
huthwaite stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:22 pm

huthwaite stag wrote:Hi all....it might not be that relevant but it is 100% true via a person I work with who is very close to Daryl. Since the passing of his daughter his heart as not really been in it. Yes he's managed but honestly it's just been possibly something to keep him from going mad......

Probably justified with the pressures football management brings. After something like that happens it probably puts life into perspective a bit more and has him questioning how he has dedicated his time to football, and ruminating over the ifs and buts of it all.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum