{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Oldham post match

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nigel Clough; Oldham post match

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:11 pm

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Nigel Clough; Oldham post match

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:05 pm

Stevo. You’ve lost the news !
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:00 am

I think Nigel did all he could on the day with the players he has ready to play.

I will disagree with the choice of sub when Maris got injured, in my book Ward should have come on not Oates.

Oates continues to disappoint, his first touch is woeful.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:19 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:08 am

Nigel Clough post match interview with Jake Garner on BBC Radio Nottingham

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09y6p7h
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:14 am

Keith Curle Post Match Interview (You need to create a basic iFollow account on Oldham website. Just make up an email address.)

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/ifollow/latest-videos/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:28 am

Keith Curle Post Match Interview on BBC Radio Manchester - 29m

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09x1vtm
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:40 am

oldweststander wrote:I think Nigel did all he could on the day with the players he has ready to play.

I will disagree with the choice of sub when Maris got injured, in my book Ward should have come on not Oates.

Oates continues to disappoint, his first touch is woeful.

Oates and Bowery's touch/control is poor.

The problem with the forward line is that Oates and Bowery don't create or score.

In fairness Bowery is fairly decent at holding the ball or playing it off short to another player, but he can't seem to take anyone on or play someone in and he never seems to have an accurate shot.

Oates looks like he can get past players and has more pace but he can't play a decent ball in either and his shooting is as bad as Bowery.

Johnson is waiting for the ball that never comes and doesn't do a great deal else.

Oh and none of them seem any good at heading, other than Bowery who wins the occasional flick on.

Apart from that they are good. :)
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:52 am

Great interview from Clarke. The shirt's his now imo and s'long as he keeps his level to that standard and stays fit Kellan will keep the bench warm.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:15 am

Spiritater wrote:Great interview from Clarke. The shirt's his now imo and s'long as he keeps his level to that standard and stays fit Kellan will keep the bench warm.

Or kellan will play ahead of him on the right wing.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:19 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Great interview from Clarke. The shirt's his now imo and s'long as he keeps his level to that standard and stays fit Kellan will keep the bench warm.

Or kellan will play ahead of him on the right wing.

On current form, the choice of Gordon, Charsley or Oates on the right ahead of Clarke would be Gordon for me
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:24 am

I’m not sure Gordon has it in him to be a winger. He very rarely even attempts to beat a man when in a wingers position in the right.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:28 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I’m not sure Gordon has it in him to be a winger. He very rarely even attempts to beat a man when in a wingers position in the right.

Neither did John Robertson, Gary Ford and many others, its about making that yard for a good delivery.......not sure his delivery is up to it though
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:35 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I’m not sure Gordon has it in him to be a winger. He very rarely even attempts to beat a man when in a wingers position in the right.

Neither did John Robertson, Gary Ford and many others, its about making that yard for a good delivery.......not sure his delivery is up to it though

Yes well he doesn’t do that either. He’s not direct enough. He needs his game simplifying the same way Flitcroft and Evans did for CJ.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:37 am

He does try but only has a success rate of about 1 in 3
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:45 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:

He does try but only has a success rate of about 1 in 3

One of the problems with Gordon is that he relies too heavily on his right foot and rarely uses his left. He often adjusts his position to get the ball to his right and loses the slight advantage he’s gained. CJ had a similar problem when he first came and his control benefitted greatly by being played on both sides of the pitch. If we had a more settled team, perhaps Gordon would benefit from the same treatment. Until his control with both feet improves, Gordon will not progress much further as a player.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:51 am

Hes 23, don't write him off yet

If he had a solid defender behind him and didn't have to fear losing the ball, like his mistake at home to Rochdale was it? He'd probably develop and be decent at this level.

Certainly got the attributes to be dangerous at this level but the club need to work with him to nail down one position. Clear to me hes played many games at RB and can do a job there but I reckon he'd prefer to be a winger and if thats what he had to focus on would probably do well.

Hes struggled at RB because of the diamond, theres no bugger there to support him going forward or bail him out at the other end.

If it were me playing football manager, id have Clarke at RB, and Gordon in front of him
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:57 am

Sedgwick wrote:

If he had a solid defender behind him and didn't have to fear losing the ball, like his mistake at home to Rochdale was it? He'd probably develop and be decent at this level.

Certainly got the attributes to be dangerous at this level but the club need to work with him to nail down one position. Clear to me hes played many games at RB and can do a job there but I reckon he'd prefer to be a winger and if thats what he had to focus on would probably do well.

Hes struggled at RB because of the diamond, theres no bugger there to support him going forward or bail him out at the other end.

If it were me playing football manager, id have Clarke at RB, and Gordon in front of him

If it was me playing football manager now I'd have bought the "clear all injuries" cheat option by now. :lol: that'd come in handy right now for sure.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:05 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Good interview that. Comes across as a really nice lad. Hope he gets the chance of having a few starts in a row.

He did very little wrong yesterday and I think he'll get better the more he plays and feels part of it.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:13 pm

broomo wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Good interview that. Comes across as a really nice lad. Hope he gets the chance of having a few starts in a row.

He did very little wrong yesterday and I think he'll get better the more he plays and feels part of it.

He will continue to improve and will become a top player for us. Probably a future captain.

I like his attitude and enthusiasm.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:21 pm

One step at a time. James Clarke needs to demonstrate that he is a solid League 2 defender first and that he can perform to good standards on a regular basis. He got "bamboozled" a few times yesterday but a clean sheet is an excellent start to add to the one at Port Vale last season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:52 pm

Yep think people are going slightly OTT with Clarke. He did get skinned a couple of times and was very lucky Macca was alert to a poor header back pass. Apart from that he was solid, but I wouldn’t say he was outstanding or anything like that. Let’s face it, those that have played before him this season have set a very low bar.

He’s a very likeable lad though and you can see he cares. Hope he continues to improve.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:03 pm

I agree, he had a good game overall but was skinned a couple of times, one by committing himself far too early. He also misplaced a header back towards goal which Hewitt did well to cover. That said, he did produce some excellent defending and looked much more comfortable there than Gordon. He deserves a good run in the side, then we can properly judge him. Considering how poor Hewitt has been this season I thought he was terrific yesterday and showed that he could yet be a good signing.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:08 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

Agreed
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:36 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:One step at a time. James Clarke needs to demonstrate that he is a solid League 2 defender first and that he can perform to good standards on a regular basis. He got "bamboozled" a few times yesterday but a clean sheet is an excellent start to add to the one at Port Vale last season.

I agree he is still learning.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum