{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

50 years and can't remember anything like it before.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

50 years and can't remember anything like it before.

Postby Grendon Stag » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:58 pm

Been watching the Stags since I was 7 years old and I can't ever remember having so many injuries in consecutive games. It's becoming a a joke week after week.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: 50 years and can't remember anything like it before.

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:01 pm

I don't think it's a joke, but we have been really unlucky this season with injuries.

When you've got a small squad, this is the risk you run being down to the bare bones if your first team main stay get injured
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:03 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:I don't think it's a joke, but we have been really unlucky this season with injuries.

When you've got a small squad, this is the risk you run being down to the bare bones if your first team main stay get injured

We do say we’re unlucky with injuries every single season though don’t we (we definitely have been so far this season).
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:05 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:I don't think it's a joke, but we have been really unlucky this season with injuries.

We do say we’re unlucky with injuries every single season though don’t we (we definitely have been so far this season).

Yeah but it's never been this bad. I can't remember us having this many first teamers out unless my memory is crap
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:23 pm

Think we had many when we last were above current League Two in 2002-03. Also a few at this stage in 2014-15 when we in a few games didn't even have a full bench, yet managed a couple of draws then.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:30 pm

Grendon Stag wrote:Been watching the Stags since I was 7 years old and I can't ever remember having so many injuries in consecutive games. It's becoming a a joke week after week.

It's quite unbelievable, add that to stupidity from Quinn and Sinclair then it's clear to see why we are what we are at present. To then have another two vital players injured in the 1st half is just incredible bad fortune.

It's always hilarious to read the massive over reaction on here, even more so from those not there.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:05 pm

Rob wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:Been watching the Stags since I was 7 years old and I can't ever remember having so many injuries in consecutive games. It's becoming a a joke week after week.

It's quite unbelievable, add that to stupidity from Quinn and Sinclair then it's clear to see why we are what we are at present. To then have another two vital players injured in the 1st half is just incredible bad fortune.

It's always hilarious to read the massive over reaction on here, even more so from those not there.

Not sure there’s a massive overreaction. We’ve not won for 11 games, probably the worst run in the country and runs like this have become far too frequent at this football club. 10 games without a win before Coughlan was sacked, 2 wins in 17 at one stage under Clough last season, and now another stretch of 10+ without a win. We’ve had 4 windows since the Dempster reign and still serving this up.

Granted, the situation with players being missing is far from ideal, but for all the talk of missing players, ahead of today Perch and Quinn were the only ones missing who would add genuine quality to the starting 11 and one will not be back. Gordon doesn’t improve us that much and many would prefer James Clarke. Stirk, Sinclair, Nartey and Forrester are all very young and unproven. It’s an inconvenience for sure that they are out but only one of them would be in our best side and start and I would say and that’s one of the defenders.

Rawson being out was an issue as it prevented Hawkins from going back up top.

A lot of our problems are self inflicted. Poor discipline from Quinn and Sinclair, a poor decision from Rawson late on, failing to recruit adequately, and then signing injured players like Forrester.

We’ve more of an issue moving forward now with Hawkins and Maris out.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:36 pm

I've seen worse Stags sides, much worse.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Staggyfox » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:52 pm

oldweststander wrote:I've seen worse Stags sides, much worse.

Me too….but in general we are still in a rebuilding stage. Stags have always been a lower league side, fluctuating between the lower 2 divisions. It’s all part and parcel of following the stags….I have been watching them since 74.
Staggyfox
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:14 pm

You'd need a microscope to find any quality in this team. This is the weakest squad, built by Clough, that I've seen in many a year. Anybody thinking anything else, after watching that today, is fooling themselves. I'd be suprised if we move out of the bottom third of the table, all season.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:29 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:You'd need a microscope to find any quality in this team. This is the weakest squad, built by Clough, that I've seen in many a year. Anybody thinking anything else, after watching that today, is fooling themselves. I'd be suprised if we move out of the bottom third of the table, all season.

Still better than Coughlan, although that's not saying much :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:21 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:You'd need a microscope to find any quality in this team. This is the weakest squad, built by Clough, that I've seen in many a year. Anybody thinking anything else, after watching that today, is fooling themselves. I'd be suprised if we move out of the bottom third of the table, all season.

I don't think this is right. The squad is made up players who individually have real quality and about whom many of us were very excited. Since the Colchester game, the team has started looking like a collection of individuals, capable of fleeting moments of quality and huge periods of poor play.
Today's team had three players showing real promise - Ward, Clarke and Bishop. Only one of them would be expected to be in the team.
There are some big names who are playing nowhere near what they, are capable of. They need to prove it.

That said, our back 4 was made up of great players wh n we were relegated
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:31 pm

I want Nigel to stay but take a clinical analysis of his team and make changes

Release his brother because his recruits have added nothing to the team. He can't be trusted with the January window
Change the format which clearly isn't working with this team
Decide who is his best team is and play them in their proper positions. Striker as a defender. Better to use a youth team defender.

A manager who ploughs on in the belief thinks will get better if you just keep going is just stupid
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:33 pm

sunray wrote:I want Nigel to stay but take a clinical analysis of his team and make changes

Release his brother because his recruits have added nothing to the team. He can't be trusted with the January window
Decide who is his best team is and play them in their proper positions. Striker as a defender. Better to use a youth team defender.

A manager who ploughs on in the belief thinks will get better if you just keep going is just stupid

He got injured on Tuesday..

Plus Hawkins can actually play centre half, he said he could play there it's not like he's thrown a goalie up front because we hadn't any strikers.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:41 pm

sunray wrote:I want Nigel to stay but take a clinical analysis of his team and make changes

This. The recruiting team have failed twice. They can’t be allowed to fail again
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:25 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

This. The recruiting team have failed twice. They can’t be allowed to fail again

They've "failed" once.

The January window was fine for what we needed.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:16 am

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

They've "failed" once.

Actually the Jan window was equally disastrous, Brayford and Akins fell through at the last minute leaving us scrapping around in desperation, just like the Naylor Situation in the last window.

We appear to be slow at tying up the deals we negotiate, thus risking being “gazumped” and then panicking on deadline day.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:47 am

Paul Cox's squad had a lot of injured players just before he was sacked. That squad was built on a low budget, if I remember correctly.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:57 am

Beano wrote:
broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

They've "failed" once.

Actually the Jan window was equally disastrous, Brayford and Akins fell through at the last minute leaving us scrapping around in desperation, just like the Naylor Situation in the last window.

We appear to be slow at tying up the deals we negotiate, thus risking being “gazumped” and then panicking on deadline day.

Such a disaster getting big earners out, spending very littler after a pandemic season with no fans and still stayed up with ease... have some perspective
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:14 am

The sad thing is, some people are thriving off of our injuries and form.

One bloke infront of me today moaning about everything. James Clarke in particular. Pretty sad
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:41 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Beano wrote:
broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

They've "failed" once.

Such a disaster getting big earners out, spending very littler after a pandemic season with no fans and still stayed up with ease... have some perspective

If both windows had gone to plan, we’d probably be at the opposite end of the table.

Obviously you’re happy weakening the squad at every window, as long as we “stay up with ease”.

I doubt John and Carolyn share your lack of ambition
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:43 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:The sad thing is, some people are thriving off of our injuries and form.

One bloke infront of me today moaning about everything. James Clarke in particular. Pretty sad

Never a truer word spoken. There are always a small core of our fans who expect nothing other than perfection and want things to get better only to be disappointed when the manager tries something different.
Our club is in a real temporary trough and needs some faith.

That said the great attendance when there are so few wins shows people are really supporting the club. We just have to drown out the mood hoovers
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:56 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:The sad thing is, some people are thriving off of our injuries and form.

Never a truer word spoken. There are always a small core of our fans who expect nothing other than perfection and want things to get better only to be disappointed when the manager tries something different.
Our club is in a real temporary trough and needs some faith.

That said the great attendance when there are so few wins shows people are really supporting the club. We just have to drown out the mood hoovers

I’m struggling to remember better support of what is at the moment a poor match day experience.

Deep down we all know what could be around the corner, our luck has to change sometime, doesn’t it ??
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:49 am

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

They've "failed" once.

Twice. It was a disaster. And who are “we”?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:52 am

Why Broomo and many Mansfield fans
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum