{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stags of the past.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stags of the past.

Postby oldnic » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:55 am

ITV 4 matches from the past involving Stags players from my era. Stringfellow scoring Leicester, Boam for Middlesborough, Saxby for Luton and recently Ray Clarke for Brighton after returning from abroad. Bringing back good memories. Shame no Waggy on TV.
oldnic
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Stags of the past.

Postby Chris M » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:30 pm

It was a different game in those days. Little grass on pitch after Autumn, one substitute, proper tackling, goal keepers without gloves, but most noticeable, no diving and cheating!

Really enjoying Big Match Revisited.

Other former players:

Tony Kenworthy Sheffìeld United, Paul Garner Sheffìeld United, John Matthews Arsenal, Steve Whitworth Leicester City, Neil Whatmore Bolton, Ian Greaves Bolton Manager, Arthur Mann Notts County, Mick Vinter Notts County, Stewart Barrowclough Newcastle United, Paul Cannell Newcastle United, Bob Curtis Charlton Athletic. Barry Daines Tottenham Hotspur, John Ashton Luton Town

Sadly, cannot see any cash league players dropping down to our level at the end of their careers like they used to do.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Big yella » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:37 pm

I have it record every week.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:35 pm

Big yella wrote:I have it record every week.

Me too, some of the tackling is fantastic! Can you imagine a modern day player, with his perfect manicures, surviving back then :lol: Hearing the commentators really brings back memories of my childhood.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:53 pm

Chris M wrote:It was a different game in those days. Little grass on pitch after Autumn, one substitute, proper tackling, goal keepers without gloves, but most noticeable, no diving and cheating!

Other former players:

Tony Kenworthy Sheffìeld United, Paul Garner Sheffìeld United, John Matthews Arsenal, Steve Whitworth Leicester City, Neil Whatmore Bolton, Ian Greaves Bolton Manager, Arthur Mann Notts County, Mick Vinter Notts County, Stewart Barrowclough Newcastle United, Paul Cannell Newcastle United, Bob Curtis Charlton Athletic. Barry Daines Tottenham Hotspur, John Ashton Luton Town

Sadly, cannot see any cash league players dropping down to our level at the end of their careers like they used to do.

I saw Steve Whitworth today in the Sunderland v Chelsea game from 1979. I was at the game that day, Chelsea were a very bog standard Div2 team then.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:15 am

Sneag wrote:
Chris M wrote:It was a different game in those days. Little grass on pitch after Autumn, one substitute, proper tackling, goal keepers without gloves, but most noticeable, no diving and cheating!

Other former players:

I saw Steve Whitworth today in the Sunderland v Chelsea game from 1979. I was at the game that day, Chelsea were a very bog standard Div2 team then.

I try to tell young Chelsea band wagon jumpers that if it wasn't for the Russian money, the would be an average Championship team, but they just don't underestand!
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ST4GS » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:31 am

Beyond The Pale wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Other former players:

I try to tell young Chelsea band wagon jumpers that if it wasn't for the Russian money, the would be an average Championship team, but they just don't underestand!

Chelsea were good mid to late 90s before Roman. Winning trophies.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:35 am

ST4GS wrote:
Beyond The Pale wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Other former players:

True they had good owner, think he died in helicopter crash ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:43 am

Chelsea won the FA Cup twice, League Cup, and Cup Winners Cup between 1997 and Roman taking over, finishing between 3rd and 6th in each of the seven seasons.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:26 am

Chelsea always a good team to watch
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:38 am

In one of the games Chris mentioned John Matthews played centre half for Arsenal. I didn't know he started as a centre back. He's one of my favourite ever Stags players.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Teapot » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:53 pm

Also a youthful Billy Dearden playing for Sheffield United, 70 goals in 205 games, mostly in First Division.
Teapot
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Billy the fish » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:26 pm

The One wrote:
ST4GS wrote:
Beyond The Pale wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Other former players:

True they had good owner, think he died in helicopter crash ?

Mathew Harding and they have a stand named after him in his memory, probably without him Chelsea wouldn’t be the powerhouse they are now . David Speedie and Kerry Dixon ??? Good proper football before sky ruined our beautiful game
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bex » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:37 pm

Mathew Harding and they have a stand named after him in his memory, probably without him Chelsea wouldn’t be the powerhouse they are now . David Speedie and Kerry Dixon ??? Good proper football before sky ruined our beautiful game

The Be all and End all of football debates,well said sir
"Who's the most intelligent"
Otis-"Me,without a shadow of doubt,next question"
bex
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby groundhoppingstag » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:09 pm

bex wrote:Mathew Harding and they have a stand named after him in his memory, probably without him Chelsea wouldn’t be the powerhouse they are now . David Speedie and Kerry Dixon ??? Good proper football before sky ruined our beautiful game

England International Kerry Dixon scored twice against us to knock Mansfield out of the league cup in 1985.
groundhoppingstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:41 am

missed this, is there anyway i can watch it now ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:34 am

yorkshire stag wrote:missed this, is there anyway i can watch it now ?

here: https://www.itv.com/hub/the-big-match-revisited/1a6464

groundhoppingstag wrote:
bex wrote:Mathew Harding and they have a stand named after him in his memory, probably without him Chelsea wouldn’t be the powerhouse they are now . David Speedie and Kerry Dixon ??? Good proper football before sky ruined our beautiful game

England International Kerry Dixon scored twice against us to knock Mansfield out of the league cup in 1985.

... but note he is not suggesting this game was on. There were no cameras at the game, or the leg at Field Mill.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:22 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:missed this, is there anyway i can watch it now ?

here: https://www.itv.com/hub/the-big-match-revisited/1a6464

groundhoppingstag wrote:

... but note he is not suggesting this game was on. There were no cameras at the game, or the leg at Field Mill.

I've been recording these hoping to catch home games with Spurs, Southampton, Sheff U and the away to Loo'un from the Div2 season. I know they were all televised.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:36 am

Teapot wrote:Also a youthful Billy Dearden playing for Sheffield United, 70 goals in 205 games, mostly in First Division.

I remember Billy scoring against us for Chester in a 1-1 draw at The Mill. I think that both the goals were in the first 5 mins too.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:51 am

I was at the Chelsea home game. I think it was a 2 2 draw with Dixon scoring twice. The concrete barrier in front of the North Stand collapsed and those at the front, mostly youngsters spilled onto the grass. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt and play continued after a few minutes
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:55 am

Bros wrote:I was at the Chelsea home game. I think it was a 2 2 draw with Dixon scoring twice. The concrete barrier in front of the North Stand collapsed and those at the front, mostly youngsters spilled onto the grass. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt and play continued after a few minutes

here are reports of the Chelsea games
1st leg: https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/chelsea.html
2nd leg: https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/chelseab.html
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:56 am

Sneag wrote:
I've been recording these hoping to catch home games with Spurs, Southampton, Sheff U and the away to Loo'un from the Div2 season. I know they were all televised.

Here's the Spurs game

Here's the only footage available to my knowledge of the Sheff Utd game

The Southampton and Luton games have never been shown again since they were originally on I don't think.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:00 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Teapot wrote:Also a youthful Billy Dearden playing for Sheffield United, 70 goals in 205 games, mostly in First Division.

I remember Billy scoring against us for Chester in a 1-1 draw at The Mill. I think that both the goals were in the first 5 mins too.

26th March 1976, attendance 6976
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:11 am

On ITV 4 now Ray Clarke playing for Newcastle in 1980.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:53 pm

Some dodgy keeping for spurs first goal there. Should've handled the initial cross then cushioned a follow up shot stairgt to their player :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum