{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Oldham scorethread sponsored by 3 points a must

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Oldham scorethread sponsored by 3 points a must

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:33 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:There’s just no spark in the team. I thought all three strikers were shocking today. You can bemoan bad service but how are the team supposed to get up the pitch when they offer no runs into the channels and all three of them couldn’t trap a bag of sand today. Johnson and Oates both had at least two shooting opportunities each with clear shots on goal and all four were shanked, one even went out for a throw.

The midfield is all huff and puff with no quality. Lapslie doesn’t look fit, Clarke isn’t fit and Charsley is very fit but poor on the ball. Ward looked good when he came on by simply just passing and moving.

Shout out to Hewitt who I thought was good today. He played three or four excellent diagonal balls in the second half, two of which Bowery completely miscontrolled. McLaughlin and Clarke were ok. Bishop made two of three good saves.

Our set piece defending is still awful. The oppositions gets the first contact more than 50% of the time. Our attacking set piece delivery was rubbish.

Oldham were utter garbage. Watch and Oldham game this season and you’ll see Piergianni giving a goal away. Today we made him look like Bonucci, we won pretty much every header in both boxes.

Apart from that, we got a point, kept a clean sheet and nobody got sent off. Hope Maris is ok, good to hear he is up and talking.

Totally agree with all that, a much better summary than some of the hysterical nonsense on this thread. Hewitt was my MoM today. Two more key players injured, we started the 2nd half with just 4 players who would be 1st choice given a fully available squad, it's almost unprecedented.

It's a fair reflection. We're so mentally fragile and our confidence is shot. No one dares to make a mistake so they play safe. That's what we're seeing.

It won't be tactics or formations that unlock this. It'll be the managers ability to set the players free.

Today we weren't good, but we weren't terrible. We've got an absolute threadbare team but we have got no alternative. Hopefully Forrester allows Hawkins to go back up top.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:35 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:I cant remember many games as bad as that since we came back into the league. The only thing it reminded me of was the first half season under Murray.

We really do look poor and disjointed. I’m not that confident that Clough has a plan. I hope I’m wrong.

They had one of the worst defensive record in the league and we barely mustered a chance. Alternatively they hit the bar and our keeper had to save us on at least two occasions.

If Coughlan or Dempster served that up then we’d be apoplectic

Tippy pointed out how poor Peirgianni has been this season for Oldham, today we made him look like Beckenbauer

Weren’t we trying to sign him?
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:36 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:Why have Forrester on the bench if you’re not going to sub him on when we’ve got no other centre backs left? Shambles.

Who’s going to head it away for us now when they lump it into our box?

Hes just come back from injury.... why risk him and have a 6th CB out :?

So, why have him on the bench if you have no intention whatsoever in playing him?

Maybe in case we were 1-0 up with 10 to go and defending balls being pumped into our box.

We had to make 2 enforced changes and the 3rd made sense to avoid the risk of Clarke getting sent off.

There's a big difference between playing the full 45 and the last 10.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:38 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:Why have Forrester on the bench if you’re not going to sub him on when we’ve got no other centre backs left? Shambles.

So, why have him on the bench if you have no intention whatsoever in playing him?

Who would you have put on the bench instead, we don't exactly have many other options. Cooper was injured on Tuesday. I suspect one of the reasons he did it was also to get him involved rather than sat in the stands.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:55 pm

Ive seen nothing of Gale but wouldn’t have minded him being thrown on for the last five/ten for Bowery or Johnson. He couldn’t have been any worse.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:02 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Ive seen nothing of Gale but wouldn’t have minded him being thrown on for the last five/ten for Bowery or Johnson. He couldn’t have been any worse.

At least Johnson looks busy, Bowery was just a waste of a shirt.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:32 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Ive seen nothing of Gale but wouldn’t have minded him being thrown on for the last five/ten for Bowery or Johnson. He couldn’t have been any worse.

Worst game Bowery has had. I usually like what he offers, but today he was totally missing.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:36 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:

They were as bad as each other. Can’t separate them.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:58 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:

Worst game Bowery has had. I usually like what he offers, but today he was totally missing.

And his, usually, sure touch deserted him today
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:17 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:

Agreed, I've regularly defended him on here, but he was poor today, as was Johnson who is really struggling. Oates was also poor so there is little wonder we didn't score.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:20 pm

Rob wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:

Agreed, I've regularly defended him on here, but he was poor today, as was Johnson who is really struggling. Oates was also poor so there is little wonder we didn't score.

Add into that Lapslie, O Clarke and Charsley :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:43 pm

Rob wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Who would you have put on the bench instead, we don't exactly have many other options. Cooper was injured on Tuesday. I suspect one of the reasons he did it was also to get him involved rather than sat in the stands.

If he wasn’t fit then he shouldn’t have been on the bench
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:53 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

This is literally the least of our worries at the minute. Hopefully he will be starting soon
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:04 pm

Our confidence looked fragile . No urgency . Worst of all no passion ! except from young Keaton who was my mom .
Disappointed & concerned
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:48 pm

It was certainly a game short on quality from both sides.

I’ve not seen any other Oldham games this season but Piergianni certainly looked good today,
probably in part due to a lousy strike force. I thought one of their other centre halves, McGahey was dreadful. He was certainly carrying a few extra pounds, was incredibly slow and extremely uncomfortable on the ball, we didn’t play on that nearly enough.

Bowery was too easily muscled out and DJ seemingly couldn’t be bothered to do any closing down.

As well as Bishop again proving he’s way to good for League 2 I thought James Clarke had a very good game at right back. Keaton Ward was a huge improvement on Ollie Clarke (another stupid booking) and it was only when he came on that we started moving the ball nicely and stretching their defence. He should absolutely be starting next week. Stephen McLaughlin again played well and we have now seen our left winger having to cover left back and centre back. I would make him captain on a permanent role, he actually shows some leadership.

I certainly felt more positive based on how we finished the game and there are a few signs that we can turn this around.

Excellent support from Q Block again and equally so from the travelling Oldham fans.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:52 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:It was certainly a game short on quality from both sides.

I’ve not seen any other Oldham games this season but Piergianni certainly looked good today,
probably in part due to a lousy strike force. I thought one of their other centre halves, McGahey was dreadful. He was certainly carrying a few extra pounds, was incredibly slow and extremely uncomfortable on the ball, we didn’t play on that nearly enough.

Bowery was too easily muscled out and DJ seemingly couldn’t be bothered to do any closing down.

As well as Bishop again proving he’s way to good for League 2 I thought James Clarke had a very good game at right back. Keaton Ward was a huge improvement on Ollie Clarke (another stupid booking) and it was only when he came on that we started moving the ball nicely and stretching their defence. He should absolutely be starting next week. Stephen McLaughlin again played well and we have now seen our left winger having to cover left back and centre back. I would make him captain on a permanent role, he actual shows some leadership.

I certainly felt more positive based on how we finished the game and there are a few signs that we can turn this around.

Excellent support from Q Block again and equally so from the travelling Oldham fans.

Not a bad shout, I don't know what it is with O Clarke this season. Doesn't look up to it performance wise or captain wise.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:04 pm

Agreed Clarke junior in Clarke senior out for a few games at least
Give armband to bishop or ward
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:13 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

So Albert, who would you have had on the bench instead?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:15 am

The "best midfield for some time" are the weak link at the minute.

An incredibly makeshift defence did well yesterday. Hewitt did well, Macca looked assured and read the game well at CB. Clarke is steady, think he will get better and more adventurous. Burke, for someone with such little experience, wasn't that bad either when he came on.

Johnson yes needs to do more, but times yesterday he was on the last man looking for the ball through and none of the midfield even looked up at him.

O.Clarke like to charge about winding players up, wants carry it forward, got booked and did nothing. Doesn't dictate play
Lapslie, likes one touch and running around, was like watching Mcguire yesterday constantly just hooking it on. Doesn't Dictate play
Charsley, Runs around a lot, weak as piss, doesn't pass and move or want the ball unless in acres of space. Doesn't Dictate play
Maris, Usually does want the ball, can tackle, can pass and move around. Injured.

When any of the back four have the ball all the above are just stood watching.. Apart from Maris no one wants to drop back and get us playing with simple passing thats why Ward looked so good when he came on. Brave and wanted the ball, did all the simple things well and thats why we got going for the last half an hour.

Its league two, why don't we play with wingers?? Macca would be such a threat out wide running at defenders putting the ball in the box for someone like Hawkins.

Bit of a mess at the minute.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:31 am

Agree with so much of this. We commented that Clarke's stupid booking seemed to deflate the confidence of the midfield. It led to that period of dross when we made the worst team in the league look like a championship team.

He and Lapslie have lost something during the off season. Personally I would expect Maris will not be in next match so would bring in Ward and see whether this gives Lapslie and Clarke the kick up the pants they need.
Charsley is so disappointing, I thought we had picked up a real talent when he came but he has not progressed enough in his time with us.

All of it shows how much we miss Quinn in midfield.

That back four looked our most secure since Perch was injured. The two kids should be really proud of themselves.
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:11 am

Rob wrote:So Albert, who would you have had on the bench instead?

Anyone who was physically fit to play. He clearly had no intentions of playing him so what was the point ? Anyone, including a youth teamer would have been a more sensible option than a player who’s never even been at the club till a couple of days before and wasn’t fit to play. Are you so dumb that you can’t see that ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:25 am

Stop the insults please.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:35 am

bellwhiff wrote:

Anyone who was physically fit to play. He clearly had no intentions of playing him so what was the point ? Anyone, including a youth teamer would have been a more sensible option than a player who’s never even been at the club till a couple of days before and wasn’t fit to play. Are you so dumb that you can’t see that ?

If he was on the bench then he could have had an intention to play him how the hell do you know?

Its so simple to see we need Forrester fit... Having him on the Bench, means that had we been winning you could bring him on and let him to get the minutes her clearly need with no pressure.
Last edited by Sedgwick on Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:38 am

bellwhiff wrote:

Who is to say his replacement on the bench would have got on? It's a moot point really.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:52 am

Perhaps it was as much to do with bringing a young pro new to the club into the match day squad
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum