{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Oldham scorethread sponsored by 3 points a must

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Oldham scorethread sponsored by 3 points a must

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:09 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Northampton, Port Vale, Exeter and Tranmere are our next 4 fixtures. How many points are we getting from them?

Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:10 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Northampton, Port Vale, Exeter and Tranmere are our next 4 fixtures. How many points are we getting from them?

With how our luck is going, -3 points.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:10 pm

Keaton Ward ran his heart out when he came on, he should be starting. Well done Keaton!
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:11 pm

Well.
What to say?

Shakey from set plays. We probably overall edged that as the better side but didn't really create bar 1 super save from their keeper late on.

Really like keaton Ward and James Clarke - deserve to keep their places. The younger players don't seem to be playing with the same emotional baggage as the 'first team'. I'd chuck law and Gale into the mix more.

Lapslie and Bowery were anonymous.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:12 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Laps fouled and booked for diving in the box.... He was barged over

James Clarke mistake nearly plays them through 1v1

Absolute joke decision. There was clearly a touch. Not all contact is a pen but that was not a yellow for diving.

The lack of consistency is incredible. Again, look at the penos for Colchester & Barrow... you have to ask why we didn’t get one. Shen it’s against you, it’s against you & we are suffering g more than ever.

Best wishes George Maris, hope you’re back with the team soon.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:13 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Well.
What to say?

Shakey from set plays. We probably overall edged that as the better side but didn't really create bar 1 super save from their keeper late on.

Really like keaton Ward and James Clarke - deserve to keep their places. The younger players don't seem to be playing with the same emotional baggage as the 'first team'. I'd chuck law and Gale into the mix more.

Lapslie and Bowery were anonymous.

Lapslie woke up when Ward came on but in the first half wasn't there alongside Clarke.

Swap law for Oates and let them have a go.. they certainly play with more ambition that some of the "starting 11"
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:13 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

With how our luck is going, -3 points.

The lack of expectations might set them free.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:14 pm

Played much better when Ollie Clarke went off
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Johan » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:16 pm

Make no mistake, Oldham are a poor side. But that second half performance from the Stags was a minor miracle given the circumstances.
Johan
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:17 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:Played much better when Ollie Clarke went off

Unfair in my opinion. We played better when Ward came on.

Praise where it's due.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:18 pm

Disappointing result. To come out of home games against Barrow and Oldham with just one point and no goals scored after so long without a win is derisory.

We’ve a team with no pace, no strength, no height throughout the team, no composure, no personality, nobody who can unlock a defence, nobody who can beat a man, nobody capable of scoring out of nothing, struggles to string 4 passes together and can’t defend set pieces. It’s a state.

Injuries are a problem, and even more so after today, but I’d argue that out of all the players missing only 2 would have significantly improved the starting 11 today and that’s Perch & Quinn. Gordon and Rawson for me wouldn’t change our fortunes much at all so I can’t even buy that argument to any great extent. The squad that has been assembled, on the whole, is sub standard no matter how it’s dressed up - injuries or no injuries.

Plus points today? Bishop - weekly occurrence (tells you a story in itself) and Keaton Ward, who I thought was brilliant when he came on and showed Clarke how to play that role. With Clarke in the deeper role today we never once got our foot on the ball and passed it from the moment Maris went off, as soon as Ward replaced Clarke we managed to get a grip a bit again as he actually wanted the ball and kept it. Starts next week at Northampton for me.

Don’t know where we go from here tbh. 11 games without a win and 4 very tough games coming up. Not scored in our last 3 games too. It’s so uninspiring.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:19 pm

Sorry but I thought we were poor today. We looked unimaginative and shakey at home to the side 2nd bottom in the league. They had us on the ropes after Maris went off and the HT whistle was a godsend. Really worried about where we are heading this season.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:20 pm

Answer =1

0-0 Northampton
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:21 pm

Pass success rate

Ward 94%
Charsley 66%
Lapslie 61%
O.Clarke 59%
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:23 pm

Lets face it...two very poor sides who both deserve to be near the bottom of the League..funny how Clarke was voted MoM yet has not had a look in previously. We were so lucky today and should have been at least 2-0 down by half time...my MoM ...definitely Bishop..as for Clough's signings Johnson, Oates , Hewitt and Burke they are simply not good enough at this level...leaves me thinking our scouting system is pants...hope Maris is Ok he is one of our better players
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Johan » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:25 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Pass success rate

Ward 94%
Charsley 66%
Lapslie 61%
O.Clarke 59%

If I were trying to fit Clarke, Ward, Quinn and Maris into a three, then based on current form Clarke is on the bench.
Johan
First Team
First Team

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:28 pm

If we are very, very lucky, we may scrape third from bottom. This manager is pushing Dempster and Coughlin, close, for worst football and players bought in a season. You would have to go a long way to see a poorer team than we are at the moment
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:29 pm

Ward looked good when he came on. James Clarke looked good enough to stay in the side. Hewitt, apart from his long balls looked much better.

Bowery and Johnson didn't do enough, thought Jordan was poor overall.

Oates careless but at least he gets on the ball and tries to make things happen.

Burke ok but always has a daft foul in him.

Think Ward has probably played himself into a starting role next week.

Decent point under the circumstances of losing 2 more influential players. Could have nicked it. Another tough day at the office. Hope Hawkins isn't out for too long and hope Maris is ok.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:30 pm

london amber stag wrote:Keaton Ward ran his heart out when he came on, he should be starting. Well done Keaton!

Agreed - looks v stylish
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:32 pm

Nigel Clough on George Maris...
"He’s sitting up in the treatment room. He got a very nasty whack in the side of his head and neck area. But he’s up, talking and okay.
"We don’t know [how long he’s out for]. We’ll just see how it settles in the next few days."

Quick recovery lad... could look a good midfield Maris and Ward.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:32 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:Played much better when Ollie Clarke went off

Unfair in my opinion. We played better when Ward came on.

Praise where it's due.

Unfair :lol: :lol:

Clarke has been terrible all season. Glad he went off and glad Ward took his chance. Time for him to start next game!
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:33 pm

you have to wonder if clough has lost it.

Yet another miserable performance, oldham should have won that at a canter, just what was he thinking of when he made oates come on? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I mean, really?

the lads living off his name, still credit in the bank but good lord.

Can someone from the media please start asking him why his management so far at mansfield is so poor?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:41 pm

I don’t see a game plan at all in recent performances. Feels like we’re just chucking 11 players out there and hoping for the best.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:43 pm

Poor game, lack of real attacking quality from both sides. Pleased Clough ditched the dodgy diamond 2nd half and we looked better for it.

Very impressed with Ward. Got stuck in, passed very well and seems to have a calmness and composure that is rare at this level. Well done lad.

The diamond doesn't work. We need width and cover out wide. Please move on from it now. Diamonds are NOT forever!!!
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:44 pm

Absolutely awful. What’s the point of having 3/4 CMs playing every game if we try to bypass them with long balls.

I think Clough will come good but why on Earth do we not having a proper winger in the squad? No pace in the team at all.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum