{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough & Sharpe out.... Flynn & Carolyn in

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Clough & Sharpe out.... Flynn & Carolyn in

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:30 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I'm all for sticking with Clough and hoping he can turn it around. The question is, how long do you stick with a manager if they continue not winning? There has to be a cut off point, but it's tough to gauge where that should be. You can't just stick by someone indefinitely because we've made mistakes with the appointments before that.

Depends on many things during a bad run

Are the players trying?
Does the manager have enough of his squad?
Does he have a record of getting out of trouble before?
Are we getting totally outplayed?

I know we're in the same position we've been in before, but what will we ever know if we just keep doing the same thing when we start to go through a rough patch?

I can see the club sticking with him and being happy with a gradual improvement on last year, which is what we will ultimately see

Things have got worse than last year.... What are you basing this 'gradual improvement' on?.

Not having a dig.... Genuine question.

Things are much better than last year, we have a manager we can trust to sort it out where as GC was lost. Someone pointed something out about him that I couldn't not notice after, during the games GC watched the ball like a fan totally unaware of the teams shape and where the obvious mistakes were.

Gradual improvement for me, is this year finishing higher than we did last year and we would firmly be way ahead of that at this current stage without injuries and suspensions... folk are quick to forget the first few games with a full squad how good we looked and were very unlucky to not win 3/3.

Things will come good. We just need to scrap through this rough period.. no managerial change at this moment in time will do anything
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:44 pm

bear 73 wrote:
trenty wrote:Apart from Burton Albion what has NC done
Derby County and Sheffield Utd fans will tell you how crap he was
Give him 5 more games then if no improvement he must be gone

Total rubbish Derby were a stable club in 2013 and made the playoff final with his team, A club in great turmoil when he joined, and he is their longest serving manager since Jim Smith 1995.
Since 2013 they have had 11 managers thats in 8 years, The C-E-O has long gone, the owner lost well over £200 millions and was still losing millions a month.
He has gave up, and now Dreams of Premier league lies in liquidation, and league 1 beckons, Oh How The Mighty Fall.
Four and a half years he was their.
Sheff Utd, again in relegation mode finished 7th, and a F-A cup semi final at Wembley. Season 2 got them into the playoffs, and a League cup semi final against spurs.
The owner once more gone. Mr McCabe long gone, he was their 18 months.
So 6 years in management, Playoffs, F-A cup semi final, League cup Semi Final, Play offs,
His record at Burton speaks for itself.
Six and a half years a championship manager, 4 years in league 1.
And you think after 10 games he has failed, GloryGlory , this Place is a good fit when you have retired.
Last season the goals were met, T.
his season is only 10 games old
Is this a joke or do you not get it, Stability, and self supporting, with improvement

Bear, there's people who want promotion and nothing else. They will look at his record and say he's been promoted once in his entire football league managerial career. That's what matters. No promotion and it's failure and rip it up and start again.

I said last season that I feel he will struggle with so many out of position. Same in preseason, I felt he'd not strengthened the defence at all.

We are 4 weeks since the transfer window shut and we've seen no movement so we are basically sticking now (unless he wants them up to speed before deciding to sign them, but then someone would have seen something).

It's another gamble. It could pay off but does feel like we've decided to stick with a weak hand, not impossible to come out on top, certainly, but improbable.

We've got to make do with what we get. I'll take a dodgy win, I just want the points.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 pm

10 games gone and not great but that is when your support becomes more important to pull us out this difficult time.

NC as my backing .
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:57 pm

Post is a little wild but some bones of truth running through it
I would never imagine that Clough would recruit badly but he has to accept that these are virtually all his own choice but maybe weren’t first choice

If relegation is looming by Xmas then JR will act as to go back to places like Wealdstone would be unthinkable and we would be back to square 1 not League 1
The indiscipline is also an issue and looking at Clough u would think his players would be much more focused and keen to play for him not get sent off
Sinclair is young and was silly but the likes of Rawson and Quinn beggar belief
Iam worried genuinely and next 4 games will be crucial
I want Nigel to do the Burton thing of course but he does seem a million miles away currently
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:53 pm

Did Clough get booked again Saturday? I didn't think he was like that but you can understand why with some of the decisions.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:30 am

chip63 wrote:Did Clough get booked again Saturday? I didn't think he was like that but you can understand why with some of the decisions.

he did
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:01 am

chip63 wrote:Did Clough get booked again Saturday? I didn't think he was like that but you can understand why with some of the decisions.

I think it's more his frustrations with the inadequate players thats getting to him!.

Unfortunately the 4th official is the closest person in the firing line. Nige is hardly setting an example of composure to the players / young fans.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:21 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:

I think it's more his frustrations with the inadequate players thats getting to him!.

Unfortunately the 4th official is the closest person in the firing line. Nige is hardly setting an example of composure to the players / young fans.

Think you're right

But id be more worried if the players performance in front of him wasnt bothering him.. good to see he's not happy with it. GC would watch us fall apart and not make a sound, just stand there one arm folded and the other on his chin game after game
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:30 pm

I don't mind the manager taking time, just let me know when people think its happening. Too many false dawns and lets ""wait another season". Too costly to keep turning up to watch rubbish and I certainly won't be buying another season ticket next year. And before anybody says I not a true fan, I'vemissed a handful of home games in the 51 years of attending this club.
I fear for attendances next year if we struggle all this season.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:07 pm

Fully behind Clough 100% but anyone who thinks he's not getting more time because of who he is is extremely naive to say the least...
Any other manager has and would have been sacked by now.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:34 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Fully behind Clough 100% but anyone who thinks he's not getting more time because of who he is is extremely naive to say the least...
I doubt that very much.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:43 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:Fully behind Clough 100% but anyone who thinks he's not getting more time because of who he is is extremely naive to say the least...
I doubt that very much.

Yes it really isn't the case. JR sacked GC on 27 October after what can only be described as a miserable year, not a bad run. Clough did a decent job last season, which counters the argument that the season began later.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:20 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
I doubt that very much.

Daft people keep saying its only a surname is keeping him in a job.... If the club want a long term manager, to work with less, bring youth through they won't find much better. Just because of a poor run people really think he should be packing his bags. Im hoping the club has learned from the revolving door policy by now. Also any other manager wouldn't have been sacked by now, Bolton with Ian Evatt a good example from last season, hoping clubs are looking for a new approach.

I do think the whole fan base, whether critical of him and his signings or not, want to see him do well.. which makes a change.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:29 pm

I would never imagine that Clough would recruit badly but he has to accept that these are virtually all his own choice but maybe weren’t first choice

Simon must take responsibility for the poor recruitments. Sack him now and spend his wages on players in January

Nigel has about 5 games left to start to show results then they'll do a deal whereby he resigns and takes his payoff.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby broomo » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:58 pm

sunray wrote:

Simon must take responsibility for the poor recruitments. Sack him now and spend his wages on players in January

Nigel has about 5 games left to start to show results then they'll do a deal whereby he resigns and takes his payoff.

First of all results will improve and I'll be pleased to be able to look back at threads like this and laugh at some of the more outlandish viewpoints.

Secondly, there is not a chance in hell he'll resign and walk away.

If (god forbid) the results don't pick up John Radford will have to sack him.

He's been in much tougher spots than this and he always sees them through. One thing he doesn't do is bottle it.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:30 am

broomo wrote:
sunray wrote:

First of all results will improve
and I'll be pleased to be able to look back at threads like this and laugh at some of the more outlandish viewpoints.

He's been in much tougher spots than this and he always sees them through. One thing he doesn't do is bottle it.

On what grounds are you basing this on?.... Current form (including tonite) is DLLLLLDDLL with absolutely no signs of improvement (from my viewpoint anyhow).

People on here tonite are creaming over the performance against Wednesday yet still it was another LOSS.... We are quickly turning into a club with a losing mentality.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:31 am

Gazmoose82 wrote:
broomo wrote:
sunray wrote:

First of all results will improve
and I'll be pleased to be able to look back at threads like this and laugh at some of the more outlandish viewpoints.

On what grounds are you basing this on?.... Current form (including tonite) is DLLLLLDDLL with absolutely no signs of improvement (from my viewpoint anyhow).

People on here tonite are creaming over the performance against Wednesday yet still it was another LOSS.... We are quickly turning into a club with a losing mentality.

Sorry Gaz but you are wrong on this one. People are excited by the level of performance against a team from a higher division. Remember a lot of that team were our kids and also rans. If you add players like Bishop and Hawkins, Lapslie and Maris then you should see a very competitive and efficient team. Hopefully Forrester will be available very soon and suddenly we’ve gone from a dispirited and broken team to one which is more than capable of holding its own.

The reason people are excited is that they can see light at the end of a very dark tunnel. One performance doesn’t solve our problems but it does give us renewed hope at a time many posters feared the worst and relegation. It’s the roller coaster ride of being a stags fan and what keeps us coming.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:52 am

Rob wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
I doubt that very much.

Yes it really isn't the case. JR sacked GC on 27 October after what can only be described as a miserable year, not a bad run. Clough did a decent job last season, which counters the argument that the season began later.

GC took charge of 24 league matches, picking up 21pts in the process.

Clough's last 24 league matches have yielded 30pts. For some contrast, his first 24 games yielded 35pts.

Dempster only took charge of 21 league matches, and picked up 22pts. Projected over 24 games he would've picked up 25pts.

Flitcroft's last 24 league games yielded 35pts.

Evans last 24 games yielded 44pts.

Murray's last 24 games yielded 31pts.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:22 am

Good stats Sam.

Nigel Clough just needs to sort the defence out to give himself a solid platform to build on. You always build a team from the back as his Dad frequently pointed out (or was it Peter Taylor?). This then gives confidence to the rest of the team. One good centre half will make a world of difference. Unfortunately, the poor defensive recruitment means that we cannot do anything about the situation until January unless Will Forrester turns out to be top quality or we find a free agent who can do a job for a few months. The best option is probably to stick with Rawson and Hewitt at centre half after Rawson returns from suspension. They played ok together at Swindon and against Rochdale at home and in the 2nd half last night. This then releases Oli Hawkins to play as our target man. Stephen Quinn is also a top quality player and his return will make a big difference as we saw last night.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:04 pm

A good read on Brewers talk, interviewing Ben Robinson he has been their chairman for 36 years and success for the football club has brought huge benefit to the town.

Ask him how Burton have managed to climb the football pyramid and his response is immediate, it was Nigel Clough.
It is true that not every football fan craves a careful owner, Supporters demand success and some times at any cost.
Since 1998 Burton have sacked 2 mangers.
.Peschisolido, March 2009, Buxton May 2020.
Still holding their own in league 1 with 3-200 gates.
Hoping with our fan base we can hold our own in the Championship
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:44 pm

We will limp for a while with so many players out... but I have faith it will improve when..

Rawson is back, hopefully Clarke gets going at rightback and can blossom, Gordon just isn't up to it... and hopefully Forrester will do a job the last CB from stoke was more than good enough.

Get Quinn back in and let that midfield do what it did best last season

and let Hawkins stay upfront with Johnson.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:07 pm

Sedgwick wrote:We will limp for a while with so many players out... but I have faith it will improve when..

Rawson is back, hopefully Clarke gets going at rightback and can blossom, Gordon just isn't up to it... and hopefully Forrester will do a job the last CB from stoke was more than good enough.

I dont know mate.. I just dont see it that way! even when we had the so called 'magic 7' in the squad we looked really poor.

I remember reading the Spirite / county forums in there respective relegation seasons.... All with similar comments to peoples on here.... Results will come when so and so is back & we are to good to go down etc.

Watching cloughie on the touchline on sat he looked like a relegation threatened manager to me.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby NEStag » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:22 pm

bear 73 wrote:A good read on Brewers talk, interviewing Ben Robinson he has been their chairman for 36 years and success for the football club has brought huge benefit to the town.

Ask him how Burton have managed to climb the football pyramid and his response is immediate, it was Nigel Clough.
It is true that not every football fan craves a careful owner, Supporters demand success and some times at any cost.
Since 1998 Burton have sacked 2 mangers.
.Peschisolido, March 2009, Buxton May 2020.
Still holding their own in league 1 with 3-200 gates.
Hoping with our fan base we can hold our own in the Championship

Bear, based on Mansfield Towns existence to date this is significantly detached from reality. We have spent ONE season in the championship getting on for 50 years ago. Morst of the time has been spent in League Two and quite a few more seasons in non-league.

I think most on here that have been fans for a while would settle for any form of sustainable League One status.

You mention the fan base but I'd say even if we were Championship level we'd still be significantly sub-10,000 attendances at that level.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby young vanish » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:14 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:However, the club's turmoil has correlated precisely with when the Radford's left for warmer climes. I'm afraid that we are a rudderless ship without a captain.

. . . and correlation is not necessarily causation.
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:37 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:We will limp for a while with so many players out... but I have faith it will improve when..

I dont know mate.. I just dont see it that way! even when we had the so called 'magic 7' in the squad we looked really poor.

I remember reading the Spirite / county forums in there respective relegation seasons.... All with similar comments to peoples on here.... Results will come when so and so is back & we are to good to go down etc.

Watching cloughie on the touchline on sat he looked like a relegation threatened manager to me.

Think we did look ok with them tbh, we managed two wins, almost 3 but for a last minute pen. They certainly created more going forward.

Were not miles off a decent side at full strength and where were short they will put it right when they can.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum