{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough & Sharpe out.... Flynn & Carolyn in

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Clough & Sharpe out.... Flynn & Carolyn in

Postby Blackburn Stag » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:34 am

bear 73 wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:Seems the radfords have been strangely quiet on the predicament we find ourselves in....

John Radford has a page in the programme for each home league game. In Saturday's page, he talked about being pleased with the clean sheet at Orient, thanked Paul Nyland leaving after 10 years and gave him best wishes on his new job at Woodfordes' Brewery, and reminisced on rewarding Paul Cox with the car after we beat Barrow 8-1.

Yeah but there just generic program notes (probably written by his PA or summat) would like to know what he's REALLY thinking of nige's start to the season & how the players are letting him down.

So its John Radford now cannot be bothered to write or dictate the programme notes, and we find our selves in a predicament do we.
I take pride in having a new score board, and interested in thoughts that Bishop st stand could be standing only, and a increase in disabled parking.
The RH academy getting a lot of rave revues, coming out of the covid pandemic with no fans and looking forward to growth within the club.
Dead chuffed about bringing young players in and giving them game time, while training with the first team.
While we are struggling on the pitch with injuries and suspensions, proud of the support the fans are giving the players,
We have good owners, good C-E-O and a manager who cares about the club not his career,
their is to much to enjoy and it will take more than 1 summer for Mansfield to become force in league 2, But a couple of signings in Jan and who knows

Problem is, we've been saying that in the build up to the last 2 transfer windows and it hasn't happened. Another window like the last one and we're doomed.
Blackburn Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:12 pm

Time to resurrect this thread.... Get Flynn in and lets start climbing this league
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby part time pete » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:25 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:Time to resurrect this thread.... Get Flynn in and lets start climbing this league

Flynn would not come as his wife will never leave South Wales, he is waiting for the Cardiff job.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:41 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:Time to resurrect this thread.... Get Flynn in and lets start climbing this league

What makes you think he would come to us ?

What makes you think if he did we would start climbing the league ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:45 pm

How long would you give him?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:47 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

What makes you think he would come to us ?

What makes you think if he did we would start climbing the league ?

Nobody thought evans or clough would come....

I dunno maybe because he has a clue about how to manage a lg2 club on a small budget....
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby ian23 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:25 pm

Flynn could be front runner by tomorrow night in South wales, no chance he comes here
ian23
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:26 pm

ian23 wrote:Flynn could be front runner by tomorrow night in South wales, no chance he comes here

100% waiting on the Cardiff job
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby ian23 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:30 pm

Absolutely, defeat for cardiff and the talk is Mick could be gone, was given two games pre- Reading game
ian23
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:31 pm

ian23 wrote:Absolutely, defeat for cardiff and the talk is Mick could be gone, was given two games pre- Reading game

So we'll take Mick McCarthy then? :D
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:53 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
ian23 wrote:Absolutely, defeat for cardiff and the talk is Mick could be gone, was given two games pre- Reading game

So we'll take Mick McCarthy then? :D

Can he be any worse?
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:58 am

Pompey fans not happy with The Cowleys either.

I think the way to go is an establish coach from a higher level who has not had a management job as of yet, but unfortunately I don’t think the time to do that is mid season, particularly when you are where we are.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:14 am

part time pete wrote:

Flynn would not come as his wife will never leave South Wales, he is waiting for the Cardiff job.

Summer holiday brochures must be a real joy in his house then.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:35 am

Flynn is another Coughlan...

Got Newport playing ugly physical lump it forward football, bullied their way into the playoffs and failed to compete against better footballing sides. Then struggled big time when a few of the better players left.

I think the best time to change your manager is in the summer or Jan to have the rest of the season to asses the squad, and possibly when most players are out of contract giving them a fresh start.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:56 am

Why would Flynn come to Mansfield, currently, with the squad we have, it would be professional suicide.?

No it is down the Nigel, his coaches and the players to get themselves out of the current mess

My view is that Lady Luck has dealt the club a bad hand with missed transfer targets, an unsurmountable number of injuries and one particular six game suspension.

I still query whether the missed transfer opportunities are the fault of Nigel, my view is Sharpe has control of the purse strings, if the club are not paying the going rate then it is his call?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:02 pm

Is there any centre halves coming to the end of their career fancy a player/manager job?

We've tried promoting within, didn't work. We tried taking a rookie for his 2nd job after a good job in his first job, didn't work. We took an experienced manager from higher up who have never managed at this level before, didn't work

Before those, we took a very experienced manager who had managed at this level before and got promoted out of it once, that did work (to a degree, we challenged in the play offs before he jumped ship for higher placed job)

After that manager we went for a manager with experience at this level and a previous promotion from this league before, that did work (again to a degree, don't want to get into that argument again)

Maybe we should look to people like the Cowleys, who have done it before. Maybe that will get us the "instant success" that is craved.

Our last 3 managers, including Clough, had never managed at this level before and struggled. Clough is learning what this level is all about and the needs to learn fast.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:09 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Is there any centre halves coming to the end of their career fancy a player/manager job?.

Jake Buxton? :lol:

There would be a certain symmetry to Jake Buxton returning to the club to return us to non-league for the second time.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:09 pm

oldweststander wrote:Why would Flynn come to Mansfield, currently, with the squad we have, it would be professional suicide.?

No it is down the Nigel, his coaches and the players to get themselves out of the current mess

My view is that Lady Luck has dealt the club a bad hand with missed transfer targets, an unsurmountable number of injuries and one particular six game suspension.

I still query whether the missed transfer opportunities are the fault of Nigel, my view is Sharpe has control of the purse strings, if the club are not paying the going rate then it is his call?

I imagine that Nigel works with his brother and other coaches to identify players, then it's Sharpe's job to submit a offer and sort all the signing out. We did miss out on some targets but it doesn't seem like we knew who to go for after Naylor did one at the last minute
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:35 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Why would Flynn come to Mansfield, currently, with the squad we have, it would be professional suicide.?

I imagine that Nigel works with his brother and other coaches to identify players, then it's Sharpe's job to submit a offer and sort all the signing out. We did miss out on some targets but it doesn't seem like we knew who to go for after Naylor did one at the last minute

One rumour for a Naylor replacement was Hanlon at Hibs... Utterly ridiculous and no suprise we got no where near if that was true.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:39 pm

I don't know much about Hanlon, but seeing that he's only ever played for Hibs in his career seems like a unrealistic signing. Just praying January is a good window for whoever is in charge

Also - Cardiff got smashed 3-0. McCarthy out, Flynn in
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:54 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Flynn is another Coughlan...

Got Newport playing ugly physical lump it forward football, bullied their way into the playoffs and failed to compete against better footballing sides. Then struggled big time when a few of the better players left.

I think the best time to change your manager is in the summer or Jan to have the rest of the season to asses the squad, and possibly when most players are out of contract giving them a fresh start.

That’s not true Sedgwick. Flynn completely changed Newport from an ugly side into a footballing one that was one of the best in the division. They were top of the league after around 10 games last season. Unfortunately, he had to completely adapt his plans because of the state of their pitch.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:12 pm

I am not defending the manager enjoy all the banter, Stability reigns and Sharpe has a job to do, first he explained things would not change over night.
This means change would come over many transfer windows, and the next one is Jan.
Clough has a contract until june 2023 that seems straight forward, and the team sit 22nd after a unprecedented run of injuries and suspensions.
A new plan players move, staff do not.
Getting were you want to be is not a bed of roses, their are many debates about ticket prices and being to expensive.
To compete at Championship level income is vital, that is why so many clubs come back down.
To visit some of the big clubs in the championship a ticket will cost you £33 believe me, that makes fans of the little clubs cough.
Strange but some remember non-league and how affordable it was,
£45 membership and £15 for a match day ticket watching the Stags is real value.
Times we are going through now, will bring a bond between fans and the club and as things improve, we will remember the start of 2021/22 and how bad things were, and how we dealt with it as a club, leave the merry go round to faint hearts , its players we want not managers
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:29 pm

bear 73 wrote:I am not defending the manager enjoy all the banter, Stability reigns and Sharpe has a job to do, first he explained things would not change over night.
This means change would come over many transfer windows, and the next one is Jan.
Clough has a contract until june 2023 that seems straight forward, and the team sit 22nd after a unprecedented run of injuries and suspensions.
A new plan players move, staff do not.
Getting were you want to be is not a bed of roses, their are many debates about ticket prices and being to expensive.
To compete at Championship level income is vital, that is why so many clubs come back down.
To visit some of the big clubs in the championship a ticket will cost you £33 believe me, that makes fans of the little clubs cough.
Strange but some remember non-league and how affordable it was,
£45 membership and £15 for a match day ticket watching the Stags is real value.
Times we are going through now, will bring a bond between fans and the club and as things improve, we will remember the start of 2021/22 and how bad things were, and how we dealt with it as a club, leave the merry go round to faint hearts , its players we want not managers

We sit 22nd after a raspberry run of poor directionless football presided over by a clueless manager but you're not defending him :roll:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:29 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

That’s not true Sedgwick. Flynn completely changed Newport from an ugly side into a footballing one that was one of the best in the division. They were top of the league after around 10 games last season. Unfortunately, he had to completely adapt his plans because of the state of their pitch.

They were mightily ugly in both playoff games against us I seem to recall.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:50 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

They were mightily ugly in both playoff games against us I seem to recall.

Yes, after which he changed the style.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum