{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Can Stags make the Play-Offs

Postby part time pete » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:21 pm

Looks like we need to win2, draw1 and lose1 in every four games.

That should not be too difficult.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:29 pm

part time pete wrote:Looks like we need to win2, draw1 and lose1 in every four games.

That should not be too difficult.

Yes, which over a season usually gets Top 3
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Re: 50 Points for Stags to Stay Up ?

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:05 am

KirkbyStag2 wrote:Well, well, well, after 5 consecutive wins, 3 in the league, (and 6 bottles of Marstons Pedigree) I've changed the thread title back to it's original "Can Stags make the Play-Offs"

Estimated 71 points required for the Play-Offs

Current Table

PLD..W...D...L...PTS...PPG

Required for 71 Points

Stags current PPG 1.18 over a season would total of 54 points.

Stags would need to have a PPG of 1.76 for the rest of the season to reach the Play-Offs, which is usually Top 3 form.

Stags are 7 points from the relegation zone and only 6 points from the Play-Offs.

I'm hoping I don't have to change the title thread again.

:coys:

Ya shunta tampered with it Kirkby, left it on the 50 point title.
Once there then we can be like the starship Enterprise and 'boldly go where no man...
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:26 am

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:12 am

Amber Andy wrote:I think we are getting ahead of ourselves.

We’re so far ahead of ourselves we’ve lapped ourselves.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:23 am

Our squad is way to small to attempt to push for the playoffs, we will need additions in January.

We seem to keep picking up injuries in the same positions, either both centre halves or both midfielders now again yesterday without both strikers Oates & DJ.

Once Bowery went off yesterday we were left with just youth players really, and that will not be enough against most teams, as has already been proven this season
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby adamstag » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:36 am

Kenwood wrote:Our squad is way to small to attempt to push for the playoffs, we will need additions in January.

We seem to keep picking up injuries in the same positions, either both centre halves or both midfielders now again yesterday without both strikers Oates & DJ.

Once Bowery went off yesterday we were left with just youth players really, and that will not be enough against most teams, as has already been proven this season

For me it was when quinn went off that we seemingly fell off the cliff performance wise, by then we’d done enough and scunthorpe weren’t going to come back, but it was frightening how different they looked when the change was made.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:46 am

Don’t be so bloody negative.

We have just had a terrible run of form, which is unlikely to happen again but we’re still in touch with the playoff pack.

The strength in depth argument is complete nonsense. Yesterday we had Gordon and Rawson on the bench and we’re missing Johnson, Oates and Lapslie through injury. We never missed a beat.

I’m also confident we’ll strengthen further in January.

Re yesterday’s game, we looked less effective in the last half an hour because we had two kids in the pitch, who did well but are still developing.

There is every reason to think we can grab a playoff place.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:40 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:Don’t be so bloody negative.

We have just had a terrible run of form, which is unlikely to happen again but we’re still in touch with the playoff pack.

The strength in depth argument is complete nonsense. Yesterday we had Gordon and Rawson on the bench and we’re missing Johnson, Oates and Lapslie through injury. We never missed a beat.

I’m also confident we’ll strengthen further in January.

Re yesterday’s game, we looked less effective in the last half an hour because we had two kids in the pitch, who did well but are still developing.

There is every reason to think we can grab a playoff place.

Sorry KKT but the strength in depth definitely wasn't there on the bench yesterday and equally don't you defeat your own argument about TS and JG "doing well" whilst agreeing we were ineffective when they came on???. I thought both were poor to be honest and did you see both Ollie and Maris give JG a rollicking as his senior professionals??

I do share your optimism though on what else you said.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:45 am

I didn’t say Sinclair and Gale were ineffective at all. I said the team were LESS effective and that they both did well but are developing.

If you think Gale was poor then you need to recalibrate your expectations of a teenager making his first appearance in league football.

He very nearly set up a goal for Charsley and worked himself into some decent positions too. Not bad to say he was up against two experienced league defenders.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:01 pm

Once more some on here lose the plot, and remain on a distant dream, the plan set out to make the club self supporting while improving our league position.
Getting 3 points against Scunthorpe was massive and we did it without Johnson, Lapslie, Oates,, Nartey, we finished with Three youngsters on the pitch Stirk, Sinclair, Gale,
While Scunthorpe came at us with nothing to lose being 3-1 down, , With youth and Academy players being our future, i was pleased with the job they did.
Can Stags Make The Play Offs, does it matter losing in the play offs leaves a shadow on the season any way.
We cannot afford a new stand, or a Hotel, or afford players needed for league 1, We have to build a team like a jig saw puzzle, 1 piece at a time, top 10 is comfortable
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:32 pm

Not really, 6 points off the playoffs in a very poor league after we hadn't won in how many games???... were not a bad side at all and some strong signings coming in January.

Were beating the teams around us at the minute, beat those above us when the time comes and we will go from there.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:35 pm

Intrigued for the January window
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:38 pm

bear 73 wrote:Once more some on here lose the plot, and remain on a distant dream, the plan set out to make the club self supporting while improving our league position.
Getting 3 points against Scunthorpe was massive and we did it without Johnson, Lapslie, Oates,, Nartey, we finished with Three youngsters on the pitch Stirk, Sinclair, Gale,
While Scunthorpe came at us with nothing to lose being 3-1 down, , With youth and Academy players being our future, i was pleased with the job they did.
Can Stags Make The Play Offs, does it matter losing in the play offs leaves a shadow on the season any way.
We cannot afford a new stand, or a Hotel, or afford players needed for league 1, We have to build a team like a jig saw puzzle, 1 piece at a time, top 10 is comfortable

I don't know where you keep getting this idea about not affording players, the stand or the hotel from.
We have the money for whatever is needed at the time, Clough, Quinn, Johnson Hawkins and Bishop to name a few, regarding the stand and the hotel, the money will be there when the time comes just like it was for the new training grounds and academy.
Without trying to cause any offence we are not Derby or Burton or most league clubs, we are Mansfield Town and we are lucky enough to have the owners who will give everything needed to get us success when the time is right.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:39 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

Not really, 6 points off the playoffs in a very poor league after we hadn't won in how many games???... were not a bad side at all and some strong signings coming in January.

Were beating the teams around us at the minute, beat those above us when the time comes and we will go from there.

So do you know who they are. Positions, from which leagues?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:00 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Not been told names

Just know Sharpe wants a strong squad that can compete, no second string backups that are well below the standard, Planning started pretty much after deadline day. Rollin, O'keefe looking like they will both be gone at the minute, Walsall very keen on him and few clubs like O'keefe. Burke out on loan looks likely. Ins will depend on outs by the sounds of it.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:19 am

Just feel like we are always a injury or two away from disaster again to be honest.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:22 am

Conker wrote:Just feel like we are always a injury or two away from disaster again to be honest.

An injury to Quinn is my biggest fear. He really does make a massive difference to this side.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:32 am

James wrote:
Conker wrote:Just feel like we are always a injury or two away from disaster again to be honest.

An injury to Quinn is my biggest fear. He really does make a massive difference to this side.

Agreed, he is one of our best signings for many years. It is good to see a played who has been at the highest level have such enthusiasm, clearly love playing for us and make such a difference to the way we play
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:44 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
James wrote:

Agreed, he is one of our best signings for many years. It is good to see a played who has been at the highest level have such enthusiasm, clearly love playing for us and make such a difference to the way we play

I think its the player Nigel wants for a league two side... hes a massive fan of Wes Hoolahan, played at the top but still wants to keep playing and has the quality. Id expect us to sign another player like Quinn. Him and Perch make such a difference.

Makes me laugh though because players out of contract in the Championship could have easily got them selves moves to any club at our level, but many of them are on talksport crying they havnt been given a chance (IE would rather not play at all than play in league two)
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:13 pm

chip63 wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Once more some on here lose the plot, and remain on a distant dream, the plan set out to make the club self supporting while improving our league position.

I don't know where you keep getting this idea about not affording players, the stand or the hotel from.
We have the money for whatever is needed at the time, Clough, Quinn, Johnson Hawkins and Bishop to name a few, regarding the stand and the hotel, the money will be there when the time comes just like it was for the new training grounds and academy.
Without trying to cause any offence we are not Derby or Burton or most league clubs, we are Mansfield Town and we are lucky enough to have the owners who will give everything needed to get us success when the time is right.

My idea comes from, Macclesfield, Bury, Derby to Name 3 of many clubs who struggle, , Please chip63" the club has good owners, and with Sharpe a game plan, you mention time.
You certainly dont cause offence, many owners have gone into dept because they are who ever, Football is a business and losing millions every year is not fun., or sustainable.
With a 4-500 fan base it does not buy much, so time is the key and patience is the word.
Clough out runs to 9 pages , changing managers again is popular, but not in the ground, many can see the progress within the club a feel good factor, a sense of believe.
Sharpe said it will take time, and small steps in one direction gets you there,
Sunderland have a squad worth over £10 million==Portsmouth 6 million,==Sheff Wed £22 million, some big clubs in league 1.
do we want to get there when not ready, We need a team capable of competing at a higher level.
I do believe the prize money for that league is only £750,000 more than league 2.
I believe we will get there and compete , and still move forward , looking forward to our first Million pound player
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:32 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
James wrote:

Get another centre half in and O'Toole would be a solution if we lose Quinn?

Edit: in fact https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/burton ... oe-2894859 it's mentioned here that Clough thinks he could fit in Stephen Quinn's role.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:38 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Not been told names

Just know Sharpe wants a strong squad that can compete, no second string backups that are well below the standard, Planning started pretty much after deadline day. Rollin, O'keefe looking like they will both be gone at the minute, Walsall very keen on him and few clubs like O'keefe. Burke out on loan looks likely. Ins will depend on outs by the sounds of it.

From the presser today young Nigel seems to have rubbished your claim of 'some strong signings coming in January'.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Re: 50 Points for Stags to Stay Up ?

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:59 pm

Estimated 71 points required for the Play-Offs

Current Table

Required for 71 Points

Stags current PPG 1.21 over a season would total of 56 points.

Stags are currently 8 points above the relegation zone and 7 points from the Play-Offs.

In the League 2 form table for the last 6 games, Stags are 5th.

Stags are home for 3 of the next 4 league games, which will be the halfway point of the season.

:coys:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:45 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Not been told names

From the presser today young Nigel seems to have rubbished your claim of 'some strong signings coming in January'.

Yes because he's really going to reveal his plans for January in the press isn't he... All depends on injuries and players leaving, we've got a lot of players in this squad.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum