{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Signing out of contract players

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Signing out of contract players

Postby marksay » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:30 am

With potentially all options injured or out on loan it’s time for you and the management to use your contacts within the game . If we are to push for any chance of promotion it needs to be ASAP. Naylor might have signed and got injured we need some strong dealings this week.
Rawson and Hewitt did ok . But we have no plan B.

For the sake of the fans please sort it
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: SHARPE WORK SOME MAGIC

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:48 am

I don't know what else you expect right now other than some unfit free agents to train with us. I imagine we'll go into the market in Jan but for now there's no a lot we can do. We have been really unlucky with injuries
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:55 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:I don't know what else you expect right now other than some unfit free agents to train with us. I imagine we'll go into the market in Jan but for now there's no a lot we can do. We have been really unlucky with injuries

We are in a hole. One of our own making
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:09 pm

Sharpe works his magic everyday, working with the Radfords to keep Mansfeld viable, we must stop the blame game, The manager has stated we are getting bad news from every angle.
Fans were informed their is no magic wand, things happen in football that are out of our control, Perch out for the season, Nartey out for 6-8 weeks.
We knew it would be 2 weeks before Forrester was fit, but with Perch, and Nartey Rawson and Hewitt, it was manageable.
financially we have a budget, and stability is key, on a solid fan base of 4-000 the revenue is not massive, and our targets choosing other clubs, we go with what we have, while hoping the tide will turn, I feel Mansfield are in a far better place than Forest and Derby, we have a club that is run within its means, and Sharpe with Clough have this remit.
Missing 3 central defenders is not a easy start, But looking at our squad forwards good, midfield good, and our Defenders will come good
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:20 pm

Mansfield isn’t run within it means.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby bmthstag » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:37 pm

marksay wrote:With potentially all options injured or out on loan it’s time for you and the management to use your contacts within the game . If we are to push for any chance of promotion it needs to be ASAP. Naylor might have signed and got injured we need some strong dealings this week.
Rawson and Hewitt did ok . But we have no plan B.

For the sake of the fans please sort it

As we’re now out of the transfer window and can only sign free agents who do you suggest they go and sign this week (bearing in mind most of them won’t have played recently and won’t be match fit).

It’s really not that simple.
bmthstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:45 pm

Joke a thread again.... Sort it asap? use your contacts? to do what exactly....

They will be looking at the existing free agents, who haven't had any minutes all season, they will most likely be invited to train with us. The situation were in I really don't think you can plan for it unless, like some on here want, a squad of 40 players :lol:

Yesterday was an improvement and we will go to Orient with more confidence and I think get another positive result.

Seasons far from done. Bolton showed everyone last year you're not out of it, this league is incredibly weak and theres little difference between us, mid table and the top 7.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:54 pm

Question

If a club terminates a players contract say tomorrow, he becomes a free agent can we sign him ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:57 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Question

If a club terminates a players contract say tomorrow, he becomes a free agent can we sign him ?

No they couldn’t.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:16 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Question

If a club terminates a players contract say tomorrow, he becomes a free agent can we sign him?

Clubs can only sign Out of Registration Players (Free Agents) whose contracts expired or were cancelled before the end of the Transfer Window

EFL Rule 43 - Registration of Players

43.1 Unless otherwise permitted by Regulation 43.2, registrations of Players are only permitted during a Transfer Window.

43.2 Subject always to the provisions of Regulation 43.3, after the expiry of each Transfer Window in each Season registrations of Players and transfers of registrations will, except as permitted in Regulation 57 (emergency goalkeeper loans), be declined or will only be approved:

43.2.1 where the Player is an Out of Registration Player;

43.2.2 where the Player was last registered as or is being registered as a Scholar or Academy Player (subject to such conditions by which the Club making the application and the Player shall be bound); and/or

43.2.3 if agreed by The League (including where the Player was last registered with a Club (or club) which has ceased to trade, including during the Closed Period) subject to such conditions as determined by The League and by which the Club making the application and the Player shall be bound.

Out of Registration Player shall mean any Player who has not at any time been registered with a Member Club (or club), or if he has been so registered his registration ...expired or was cancelled at any time prior to the end of a Transfer Window (and in the case of the Summer Transfer Window, the applicable end date is that applied to Clubs in Leagues One and Two in accordance with Regulation 42.2) and he has not since been registered with any Club (or club).
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:16 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Joke a thread again.... Sort it asap? use your contacts? to do what exactly....

They will be looking at the existing free agents, who haven't had any minutes all season, they will most likely be invited to train with us. The situation were in I really don't think you can plan for it unless, like some on here want, a squad of 40 players :lol:

Yesterday was an improvement and we will go to Orient with more confidence and I think get another positive result.

Seasons far from done. Bolton showed everyone last year you're not out of it, this league is incredibly weak and theres little difference between us, mid table and the top 7.

You can’t plan for it if we are taking on crocked and inexperienced reserve players two hours before the window closed

Keep excusing the raspberryshow though.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby StagsFan83 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:24 pm

Not all free agents are unfit, often they will
train with a club, or at very least keep their fitness up to a good standard, seasoned pro’s like Jason Shackell and Luke o Neil who I have seen mentioned will both be aware that a professional footballers career is short, so to be ready at the drop of a hat is in their best interest.
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:29 pm

No good Nigel saying there are no free agents out there who are better than we already have.

We only have two and they at best are average and any of them could get injured next game, then what do we do?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:35 pm

Free agents are going to take time to get up to match fitness and also match sharpness as they will probably not have played in any season pre-season games.

I'd also rather play George Cooper than sign another Jake Wright.

I see John Joe O'Toole is a free agent and was signed by Nigel Clough at Burton. Can he play centre half? He is 6 foot 2 :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:40 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Joke a thread again.... Sort it asap? use your contacts? to do what exactly....

You can’t plan for it if we are taking on crocked and inexperienced reserve players two hours before the window closed

Oh here he is crying again because Mansfield didn't sign the best centre back in the EFL at the drop of a hat.... It is hilarious how rattled you are by the possibility of a transfer window not going to plan, it's almost as if you cant compute the idea of it happening. It has, happened were dealing with it best we can.

You've still not said what the club's transfer policy is, it's apparently so awful and you can't seem to actually comment on what it is.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:52 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Oh here he is crying again because Mansfield didn't sign the best centre back in the EFL at the drop of a hat.... It is hilarious how rattled you are by the possibility of a transfer window not going to plan, it's almost as if you cant compute the idea of it happening. It has, happened were dealing with it best we can.

You've still not said what the club's transfer policy is, it's apparently so awful and you can't seem to actually comment on what it is.

I’m not crying about it you daft soft lad. I don’t think we will sign the best centre half in the league. What I did expect is for us to get reasonable players in after being knocked back on our primary target in LATE JUNE. Can you compute the idea of having to scramble around in the dying embers of the window to get anyone through the door ? Can you understand that two and a half months passed and we got no one. Spoke to a couple yesterday and they all had the same opinion.

So maybe it’s you being an apologist for this failure. And it IS a failure, no matter how much you weasel and defend it

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:53 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Free agents are going to take time to get up to match fitness and also match sharpness as they will probably not have played in any season pre-season games.

I see John Joe O'Toole is a free agent and was signed by Nigel Clough at Burton. Can he play centre half? He is 6 foot 2 :lol:

Yes he can
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:04 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Free agents are going to take time to get up to match fitness and also match sharpness as they will probably not have played in any season pre-season games.

Yes he can

How bad is his injury?
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:28 pm

chip63 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Yes he can

How bad is his injury?

I'm sure someone said 6-8 weeks
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:59 pm

I think Chip may have been making a reference to our recent tendency to sign injured defenders Bobby.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:08 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

No crying, just stating a fact that one more centre back injury and we are in a real mess.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:15 pm

StagsFan83 wrote:Not all free agents are unfit, often they will
train with a club, or at very least keep their fitness up to a good standard, seasoned pro’s like Jason Shackell and Luke o Neil who I have seen mentioned will both be aware that a professional footballers career is short, so to be ready at the drop of a hat is in their best interest.
I think someone said Shackell was in the USA. As much as I would like O'Neil at the club, unfortunately he ain't a CB.

I doubt we have any out of contract CB training with the club. Our best hope is that there is an out of contract CB who has been training with a club higher up the pyramid who is not signed and comes to us. A forlorn hope I would say.

We will have to cope with what we have until January. Best get used to it.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:56 pm

So I’ve done some digging with a exec I know at Imps.Shakell was out of favour at the start of App management. His sending off against Sunderland was stupid and a frustrating time for the CB

HE knows Jason and said he would come back because he still feels he has something to prove and offer.

Just good for thought
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:07 pm

It was me who said Shackell is in America. I was told by someone who is involved at the Imps.
He said Shackell was told that he had no future at Lincoln by Appleton, had a poor last season and his American wife earns good money and they have gone with her job to America.
Shackell has also not played since the end of the 2019-20 season and is now 37

Saying that, my contact supports the Gimps, so you have to doubt his judgement.
Last edited by georgefostersbeard on Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:25 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

Yes he can

Nige signed him with the plan of converting him into a centre half from a central midifelder.

He looked good at times but his disciplinary record was shocking and he had a tendency to lash out of the ball.

I wouldn't mind him short term but would worry he's still got a sending off or two in his locker.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum