{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Signing out of contract players

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: SHARPE WORK SOME MAGIC

Postby marksay » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:25 pm

He did but we need a team to play on it
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby marksay » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:26 pm

How is it that Salford can sign players outside the transfer window
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:41 pm

marksay wrote:How is it that Salford can sign players outside the transfer window

any club can sign out of contract players outside the transfer window. The issue should be: are they any good?
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:02 pm

Also, are they match fit?

Ben Turner being a prime example. Took him a good 2 months to find his rhythm and actually look league standard.

Maybe that's why Clough isn't too bothered now. We've still got January to maybe buy one that is match fit and training fit. Or maybe he's got a couple in already on trial, either sign them because they look decent or if we have no choice.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:29 pm

I was looking at some of the manager greats, has i believe history can determine the future, We have had some bad luck in the transfer market and injuries have put pressure on our squad.
On Sat we had 8 players not available so our league position suffers, This is where we play the blame game, with limited knowledge who do we blame, well JR gets a pass.
Sharpie working on a budget, well all deals that have fallen through he is to blame, Clough the manager works within Sharpies budget, highlights targets that will improve the team.
and we move from players on top of the list, down to who we can get.
Early season players settling in, and hoping for a injury free start.
Brings us now to what is a good manager, Quote from a top manager, Always get the best from what you have got.
JR has to work out what the club can afford, Sharpe has to make it work, Clough has to get the best from what he has got.
Thats MAGIC
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:57 pm

bear 73 wrote:I was looking at some of the manager greats, has i believe history can determine the future, We have had some bad luck in the transfer market and injuries have put pressure on our squad.
On Sat we had 8 players not available so our league position suffers, This is where we play the blame game, with limited knowledge who do we blame, well JR gets a pass.
Sharpie working on a budget, well all deals that have fallen through he is to blame, Clough the manager works within Sharpies budget, highlights targets that will improve the team.
and we move from players on top of the list, down to who we can get.
Early season players settling in, and hoping for a injury free start.
Brings us now to what is a good manager, Quote from a top manager, Always get the best from what you have got.
JR has to work out what the club can afford, Sharpe has to make it work, Clough has to get the best from what he has got.
Thats MAGIC

Bear - who are your 8 players who would realistically get into the team?

I can count:

Quinn
Gordon
Nartey
Perch

I'm not counting Forrester as he was already injured when we signed him but that would still only be 5 (injuries and suspensions).

Are you including those loaned out?
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:02 pm

The players unavailable on Saturday were: Perch, Nartey, Forrester, Gordon, Stirk (all injured), Quinn (suspended). These are the “We had six players missing" that Nigel Clough referred to post match.
Maris then picked up an injury but should be fine for next Saturday. Sinclair will be suspended. So it will be seven players missing on Saturday.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby NEStag » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:08 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:The players unavailable on Saturday were: Perch, Nartey, Forrester, Gordon, Stirk (all injured), Quinn (suspended). These are the “We had six players missing" that Nigel Clough referred to post match.
Maris then picked up an injury but should be fine for next Saturday. Sinclair will be suspended.

Sorry yes - missed Stirk.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:46 pm

NEStag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:The players unavailable on Saturday were: Perch, Nartey, Forrester, Gordon, Stirk (all injured), Quinn (suspended). These are the “We had six players missing" that Nigel Clough referred to post match.
Maris then picked up an injury but should be fine for next Saturday. Sinclair will be suspended.

Sorry yes - missed Stirk.

I countered Forester because he had a set back meaning a extra 2 weeks out, my 8th player was Sinclair who was missing from the 85th minute leaving 12 minutes left.
Martin has given the 7 not available against Barrow.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:20 pm

Bear, sorry - it's still 6 that were unavailable for last Saturday, as Martin said.

You've counted Forrester twice (he was already in Martin's 6) and you can't count Sinclair as unavailable for [last] Saturday when he's only been sent off with 5 minutes to go...
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby marksay » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:25 pm

So who is in the frame
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby marksay » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:33 pm

All gone quite :coys: :coys: :coys:
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:37 pm

marksay wrote:All gone quite :coys: :coys: :coys:

Quite what?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:39 pm

this is what Nigel Clough said yesterday:

“There are one or two names that are under discussion at the moment.

“It depends on the news we get about Kellan and Ryan Stirk, and how long they’re going to be out for.”

see viewtopic.php?p=909424#p909424

By the way, since this thread is actually about signing out of contract players, I will rename it to something that reflects the discussion
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:28 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

“It depends on the news we get about Kellan and Ryan Stirk, and how long they’re going to be out for.”

By the way, since this thread is actually about signing out of contract players, I will rename it to something that reflects the discussion

Why would it depend on the news of Gordon and Stirk? That got me.

Surely we should be looking for centre back(s)?

We've got Hewitt and Clarke for right back. It feels like we've got 100 or so midfielders (only slight exaggeration there :D).

Only thing I can think of is we maybe can claim wages from an insurance policy or something. Freeing up a bit of cash to spend on another player or 2? Guessing but possible, I suppose.

Just seems weird we've got our best striker at centre half and we are waiting on the results of injures to 2 players who don't play centre half.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:38 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Why would it depend on the news of Gordon and Stirk? That got me.

Surely we should be looking for centre back(s)?

We've got Hewitt and Clarke for right back. It feels like we've got 100 or so midfielders (only slight exaggeration there :D).

Only thing I can think of is we maybe can claim wages from an insurance policy or something. Freeing up a bit of cash to spend on another player or 2? Guessing but possible, I suppose.

Just seems weird we've got our best striker at centre half and we are waiting on the results of injures to 2 players who don't play centre half.

Could it be that we will struggle through if those two are only short term but invest if they are out for longer?. It could be they may also be out for more than a week or two which would leave us exceedingly short.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Re: Signing out of contract players

Postby chip63 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:51 pm

If Gordon is a long injury it stops Hewitt going to the centre of defence and that stops Hawkins going back up top.
I think Clough would like Gordon Hewitt Rawson and Macca at the back and Hawkins back up front.
That could mean a new right back coming in as cover or even a start, I'm sure by now we would of got a centre half in if any good ones were available.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:53 pm

I though that too, but Hewitt and J. Clarke can play RB (do we need a 4th if we are still counting Gordon as a right back?) . That's plenty of cover for Gordon.

As for Stirk. We've got Maris, O. Clarke, Charsley, Ward, Law, Quinn back in 3 games, Lapslie. That's 7. Macca played championship football in Central midfield, Hewitt has played there before, there's 9. Again, plenty of cover.

For me that's not exceedingly short, in those positions.

Unless Clough thinks Hewitt plays better as a centre back and doesn't rate Clarke. In which case we are "short" at right back.

Mind you we have played 4-4-2 recently so maybe Clough is waiting to find out if Gordon will be out for a while before signing a right winger to replace him, Sinclair is suspended for 3 weeks so we know how long he is out for.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:54 pm

With defenders Perch, Nartey, Forrester, all out through injury, if Gordon is going to be out long term, then simply in terms of numbers, I think you could argue we need to get another body (defender) in. I think that is why it might depend on the news on Gordon's injury.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:52 am

I think purely in numbers the squad would be short. We were running with a smaller squad anyway and although we have cover for individual positions, squad numbers are well down. We may have a starting 11 but we wouldn’t have a lot on the bench and in today’s game the ability to change a game is essential.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:34 am

Martin Shaw wrote:With defenders Perch, Nartey, Forrester, all out through injury, if Gordon is going to be out long term, then simply in terms of numbers, I think you could argue we need to get another body (defender) in. I think that is why it might depend on the news on Gordon's injury.

Yeah, I agree. My argument is we need numbers regardless. Our problem position is centre back.

Let's assume Gordon is fit and available and he goes right back and Hewitt back to centre back, Hawkins back up front. That's a threadbare defence still. Forrester is an unknown quantity, he'll need time to get match fit properly regardless. Nartey is still probably 6 weeks away. I reckon early to mid November time if all goes to plan, not had much game time either.

Still seems a little short to me. We took the gamble of a threadbare defence when the season started. Signed 2 on loan because it was already going south before the window closed so brought in 2 defenders, 1 injured and the other couldn't wait to send paperwork through (in fairness I think that was more so the transfer could go through, it was quite late, and not that they wanted shot of him) and a setback to the injured player.

It's a gamble that hasn't paid off and we seem intent on making the same gamble again. I just hope it comes off.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:37 am

Out of contract players are a last resort and never the real solution. That's why they are out of contract.

Seldom do you pick up a gem. Kristian Pearce was an exception, but even he had pre season training with us.

If our defence is short on numbers due to injury, then we will need to go down this route. If we, do the chances are he will be a stop gap not a world beater.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:17 am

Didn't Nigel say Forrester due in on October 1st?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:21 am

oldweststander wrote:Didn't Nigel say Forrester due in on October 1st?

He said another couple of weeks on 14th September.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:51 pm

As I started this thread it needs those who are in the footballing connections to step up and really make it happen

As at the moment every game we lose for sending off or injury, at this rate NC will be playing
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum