{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Rochdale post match

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Nigel Clough; Rochdale post match

Postby chip63 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:01 am

We should remember the fantastic recruitment of Hawkins, Quinn, Johnson and Bishop.
4 more like them in January and we will be like Bolton last year.
Hopefully.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:22 am

It is hard luck. If you want the best you have to compete with the rest. This doesn't always go in our favour.

We looked set to sign naylor as our main CB and were beaten by Wigan at the last millisecond. We were try to get the lad from Oldham, but they said no on deadline day (assuming they couldn't replace him) so we went with plan C which was Nartey and an injured player.

Now they are what we know about. Between Naylor and Piergianni there is a long time. For all we know Nartey could have been plan Z. We could have told defenders we were signing Naylor and the offer has been rescinded to then try and offer it again when he signed for Wigan and told to stop messing them around and they won't be joining. Thing is I can't see any manager coming out and saying the player they signed was a last ditch effort to get someone in.

I think something almost similar happened a few years back to what happened to Naylor, a player was set to sign and was travelling for a medical and got convinced by a Bury player to join them instead because we only had 3 stands. The difference being Naylor was having his medical when he had a change of heart and they were on their way. Who was it who signed for Bury instead? Can't find it on Google nor a quick look through stagsnet latest news.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:29 am

gazza1988 wrote:It is hard luck. If you want the best you have to compete with the rest. This doesn't always go in our favour.

We looked set to sign naylor as our main CB and were beaten by Wigan at the last millisecond. We were try to get the lad from Oldham, but they said no on deadline day (assuming they couldn't replace him) so we went with plan C which was Nartey and an injured player.

Now they are what we know about. Between Naylor and Piergianni there is a long time. For all we know Nartey could have been plan Z. We could have told defenders we were signing Naylor and the offer has been rescinded to then try and offer it again when he signed for Wigan and told to stop messing them around and they won't be joining. Thing is I can't see any manager coming out and saying the player they signed was a last ditch effort to get someone in.

I think something almost similar happened a few years back to what happened to Naylor, a player was set to sign and was travelling for a medical and got convinced by a Bury player to join them instead because we only had 3 stands. The difference being Naylor was having his medical when he had a change of heart and they were on their way. Who was it who signed for Bury instead? Can't find it on Google nor a quick look through stagsnet latest news.

Wasn't that McNulty going to Coventry? Think Lincoln hijacked us for Frecklington as well.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:52 pm

It could be. Mcnulty rings a bell. I thought Bury were involved but now you said Coventry as well I think it is them.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby cambridgestag » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:27 am

Wasn't that McNulty going to Coventry? Think Lincoln hijacked us for Frecklington as well.[/quote]

Think we had a lucky escape there. Someone at Lincoln told me Freck was on £150k, and spent most of his time injured. Their return of the Prodigal Son wasn’t quite the dream.
cambridgestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:21 am

cambridgestag wrote:Wasn't that McNulty going to Coventry? Think Lincoln hijacked us for Frecklington as well.

Think we had a lucky escape there. Someone at Lincoln told me Freck was on £150k, and spent most of his time injured. Their return of the Prodigal Son wasn’t quite the dream.[/quote]

Possibly the following season, but he played 20 games after joining them in the Jan. Could have been the difference but we’ll never know.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:45 am

Signing players who then go on to get injured, is part of football, and games played is not always a indicator
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:46 am

bear 73 wrote:Signing players who then go on to get injured, is part of football, and games played is not always a indicator

And signing players who ARE injured ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:01 am

It's probably a good job we did sign him injured or not, he could be pivotal around Xmas and might stay til the end of the season.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum