{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough and Ollie Clarke press conference, Tue 14 Sep

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Clough and Ollie Clarke press conference, Tue 14 Sep

Postby pemill » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:02 am

Rawson has to start on Saturday, for sure he's made the odd mistake but he's more solid in there than others we can mention. If it wasn't for the Nartey mistake, potential foul to be honest, I think we would have had a clean sheet in the 2nd half at Walsall - Rawson and Nartey are an unknown combination and could work well together.

For me we are still too exposed down the right when Gordon has pushed on.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:20 am

Agree with both, I'd play Nartey and Rawson. I'd be tempted to play Charsley on the right ahead of Gordon, he is more likely to help out defensively and then play Bowery on the left who should be able to help our appalling defending at set pieces. This means leaving out either Clarke or Lapslie, both of whom have been poor lately. I dont think that will happen though, Clarke will play ahead of Gordon but I hope he plays Bowery on the left.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:25 am

pemill wrote:Rawson has to start on Saturday, for sure he's made the odd mistake but he's more solid in there than others we can mention. If it wasn't for the Nartey mistake, potential foul to be honest, I think we would have had a clean sheet in the 2nd half at Walsall - Rawson and Nartey are an unknown combination and could work well together.

For me we are still too exposed down the right when Gordon has pushed on.

It’s fair to say nartey hasn’t started well for us but he speaks well of clough previously and he’s not going to be well thought of in the burnley team if he didn’t have some potential.

I agree that him and rawson have to start.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:35 am

James wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I agree, I think Hawkins has to play centre back.

Rawson really wasn't that bad before he got dropped, certainly no worse than how Hewitt & Nartey have been last 2 games. By no means is he perfect, but i'd get him back in. I'm with others on here, i think Nartey will come good.

Also, taking Hawkins out from the forward line makes us considerably weaker up top.

It would make us weaker but I wouldn't say significantly. Hawkins has been good, but it's not as if he's been taking every chance he gets. There's even a possibility we may be more fluid going forward without the temptation of lumping it to Hawkins. It's got to be worth a try because I have no faith in Rawson being any better than the other pair, but at least one of the three is going to have to play anyway. I'd probably go with Nartey as he at least seems to have played well in a higher league previously.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:38 am

what an absolute farce of a place to find ourselves in, only at Mansfield Town would this happen, there must be a few unattached options out there till Christmas at least ?

& as for Quinn what on earth was he thinking
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:39 am

I don’t think we’re far away from seeing Hawkins at CB. If it’s not this week, it will be next week if we ship goals again against Rochdale.

If we were to go down that route I’d go

Bishop

Gordon
Rawson
Hawkins
Macca

Clarke
Maris

Oates
Lapslie
Bowery

Johnson

Obviously it’s not ideal to be putting our best striker so far this season at CB, so id rather avoid it if we can. I think he’ll give Nartey 1 more shot but this time with Rawson at the side of him before we get to the point of having to try Hawkins there.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:39 am

So anyway, what sort of questions got asked ? Was it just another flannel ego session.

Stevo is rubbish. I know he’s employed by the club but what a joke
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:40 am

Oh and no way should we be playing Hawkins at the back. Put him up from with Johnson and get them to get used to each other

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:45 am

Hawkins has been the stand out player for me this season, commitment, work rate and quality - the way he got Monthe by the scruff of the neck on Saturday showed what it means to him. I dont think you can start him at centre back though if you have two out and out defenders in Rawson and Nartey fit - I've said elsewhere that I think Nartey will come good, and looking at the highlights probably saved a goal on Saturday with his tackle after Bishop spilled a shot. Game ending error at the start of the second half aside, I think he maybe got caught up in Hewitt's breakdown - if you're trying to second guess which way your partner will give it away, as well as trying to concentrate on your own game, then you're not going to be doing anything well.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:53 am

No way should Hawkins be moved, he has clearly been our best player so far this season. To judge Nartey after just two games is ridiculous and I also think he will come good. Midfield is a huge worry and they really need to get back on it, we know they can do it, even without Quinn, whose stupidity defies belief. How anyone can defend him for kicking a player twice is beyond me, thoroughly deserves his 6 game ban.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:57 am

bellwhiff wrote:So anyway, what sort of questions got asked ? Was it just another flannel ego session.

Do you honestly expect an employee of the club to be asking hard questions to our own manager? Not a single club in the country would act any differently to us on this one, however frustrating it may be.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:00 pm

Rob wrote:No way should Hawkins be moved, he has clearly been our best player so far this season. To judge Nartey after just two games is ridiculous and I also think he will come good. Midfield is a huge worry and they really need to get back on it, we know they can do it, even without Quinn, whose stupidity defies belief. How anyone can defend him for kicking a player twice is beyond me, thoroughly deserves his 6 game ban.

What's to say he wouldn't still be our best player at centre back though? In the area we need it most!
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:01 pm

I would expect Nigel Clough's interviews with Mark Stevenson and with BBC Radio Nottingham will be available in full on iFollow this afternoon as usual. And if the CHAD were there, their questions will be included too.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:05 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Gazmoose82 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:06 pm

What a signing forrester is :lol:

Might aswell try stech at CB.... everyone else has had a go!.
Wouldnt be surprised to see bowery upfront and hawkins CB on sat :roll:
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:07 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:No way should Hawkins be moved, he has clearly been our best player so far this season. To judge Nartey after just two games is ridiculous and I also think he will come good. Midfield is a huge worry and they really need to get back on it, we know they can do it, even without Quinn, whose stupidity defies belief. How anyone can defend him for kicking a player twice is beyond me, thoroughly deserves his 6 game ban.

What's to say he wouldn't still be our best player at centre back though? In the area we need it most!

We need him up front, he can still help out defensively but we need to have a threat in the final third too. So far Johnson hasn't done that, but hopefully his goal on Sat will help his confidence. I honestly believe Nartey will come good and Rawson has never been as bad as some on here would have you believe.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:13 pm

Get the u 18s in
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:30 pm

marksay wrote:Get the u 18s in

Did you watch them against Harrogate, we'd get even more torn apart with Ward at centre half
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:33 pm

There's a certain irony of wanting Hawkins at CB, that being, I'm pretty sure it was him that was out muscled for their second goal, in all fairness though I think he was being fouled. Rawson/Nartey for me at CB, Hawkins/Johnson up front especially now Johnson has got off the mark in open play.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:36 pm

pemill wrote:There's a certain irony of wanting Hawkins at CB, that being, I'm pretty sure it was him that was out muscled for their second goal, in all fairness though I think he was being fouled. Rawson/Nartey for me at CB, Hawkins/Johnson up front especially now Johnson has got off the mark in open play.

It was Mcloughlin that lost his man.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:43 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:So anyway, what sort of questions got asked ? Was it just another flannel ego session.

Do you honestly expect an employee of the club to be asking hard questions to our own manager? Not a single club in the country would act any differently to us on this one, however frustrating it may be.

Yes I do. It’s called integrity.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:08 pm

Rawson and Nartey have to play. We need to win this home game and pulling Hawkins back would lose us too much impetus up front
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:31 pm

Jason shakell CB no club Played for Derby , Lincoln was transferred for 3.9m
Better than we have took two mins to find there are several out there better than Hewitt and Raws
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: CB without a club 2mins

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:47 pm

Craig Morgan 2019
Jack Hobbs 2020
Jason Shackell 2020
Martin Cranie 2021
David Wheater 2021
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Re: Clough press conference, Tue 14 Sep

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:59 pm

bellwhiff wrote:The fact that he thinks our best centre forward is our best centre half lays bare the utterly embarrassing transfer policy at this club. I don’t suppose he got asked any hard questions by the pet journalists?

You keep banging on about the transfer policy... what exactly do you think it is? Do you think they missed out on three key targets on purpose...
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum