{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

What do you lot want to achieve?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: What do you lot want to achieve?

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:51 pm

I've been thinking about this for a bit.

I guess what I want to achieve is improvement. We've got to do better and always want better. For me improving year on year is a success.

How much improvement will vary but this season, at the very least play off challenge. Not finish in the play off but still have something to achieve with 1 or 2 games to go. Then next season I'd expect a play off position/automatic challenge. If we failed I'd expect us to not make a rash decision and undo the work done.

My concern is last 7 games of last season was won 4 drew 2 and lost one, scored 12 conceded 4 earning 14/21 points
This season in our first 7 we've won 2, drew 1 and lost 4, scored 6 and conceded 10 earning 7/21 points.
Dempster's first 7 was won 2, drew 3 and lost 2. Scored 10 and conceded 8 earning 9/21 points.

Form is over 6 games and we could be having our "blip" now but that is alarming and a backwards step.

You could argue we beat Newport at home and last season we drew. Colchester away was a 2-2 draw last season. Bradford GC lost 3-1 to them with Stech's infamous catch into his own goal, 2nd due to Menayese and Rawson being "well out of position" and the 3rd was poor defending.

That's what I want to achieve. Measurable success. If Clough loses the next 7 he'd be tied for points with Coughlan and that was the point he was sacked. I really don't think we will lose the next 7 games though.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:56 pm

I hate to tell you this Gazza, but we've played 7 this season, and lost 4.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:59 pm

I knew that just testing. :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:05 pm

Amended my post to show the correct results.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:22 pm

gazza1988 wrote:I've been thinking about this for a bit.

I guess what I want to achieve is improvement. We've got to do better and always want better. For me improving year on year is a success.

How much improvement will vary but this season, at the very least play off challenge. Not finish in the play off but still have something to achieve with 1 or 2 games to go. Then next season I'd expect a play off position/automatic challenge. If we failed I'd expect us to not make a rash decision and undo the work done.

My concern is last 7 games of last season was won 4 drew 2 and lost one, scored 12 conceded 4 earning 14/21 points
This season in our first 7 we've won 2, drew 1 and lost 4, scored 6 and conceded 10 earning 7/21 points.
Dempster's first 7 was won 2, drew 3 and lost 2. Scored 10 and conceded 8 earning 9/21 points.

Form is over 6 games and we could be having our "blip" now but that is alarming and a backwards step.

You could argue we beat Newport at home and last season we drew. Colchester away was a 2-2 draw last season. Bradford GC lost 3-1 to them with Stech's infamous catch into his own goal, 2nd due to Menayese and Rawson being "well out of position" and the 3rd was poor defending.

That's what I want to achieve. Measurable success. If Clough loses the next 7 he'd be tied for points with Coughlan and that was the point he was sacked. I really don't think we will lose the next 7 games though.

The first bit, about progress and doing better than last year... I think that is this season. Id rather us be on a bad run now than later on in the season.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:38 pm

Based on what though? Admittedly the start has been difficult. We've played top sides from last season, relegated sides from the league above and newly promoted.

We have looked suspect when defending compounded by 1 player getting injured and us looking even worse.

There are legitimate concerns. I hope we gain more points in the next 7.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:57 am

broomo wrote:Maybe if folk like you paid the tenner to watch the game instead of pirate streaming, then pulling the manager apart every week, they'd have a bigger budget and wouldn't be piss poor, failing or ready to skulk off with their reputation in tatters.

The point about stealing is fair enough but the other bit about having more budget? I’m yet to see evidence that this management team know how to pick defenders to get.

Or issues at the back aren’t budget related.

But you just carry on finding excuses.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:30 am

bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:Maybe if folk like you paid the tenner to watch the game instead of pirate streaming, then pulling the manager apart every week, they'd have a bigger budget and wouldn't be piss poor, failing or ready to skulk off with their reputation in tatters.

The point about stealing is fair enough but the other bit about having more budget? I’m yet to see evidence that this management team know how to pick defenders to get.

I think if we had signed any of the three centre backs that were targeted the defence would have improved considerably.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:35 am

bellwhiff wrote:

I'm not finding excuses.

The start is inexcusable. I just don't throw my toys out of the pram and start demanding the local press launch a full on enquiry when we lose a few games.

Your personal vendetta is really irritating.

When you start siding with the forums second biggest troll to look for cheap digs you know you've got issues.

Gazmoose has been posting some absolute raspberry about the manager for a long time. You may be ok with that. I'm not.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:04 am

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I'm not finding excuses.

The start is inexcusable. I just don't throw my toys out of the pram and start demanding the local press launch a full on enquiry when we lose a few games.

When you start siding with the forums second biggest troll to look for cheap digs you know you've got issues.

Gazmoose has been posting some absolute raspberry about the manager for a long time. You may be ok with that. I'm not.

I don’t have a vendetta. Don’t be so shrill. I don’t care what or who posts, if they’re right then they’re right. It’s not about cliques. I haven’t demanded the press launch an inquiry. I’d just like to know why we’ve sent a seemingly good player on loan and replaced them with inferior ones.
You really do have a siege mentality. Cheap digs ? Christ man. Have a word.

Oh and I don’t have a vendetta. :roll:

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:09 am

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I'm not finding excuses.

Just out of interest Broomo, what are your thoughts on our defence at the moment? Or Nigel's defensive signings?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:16 am

lifestags wrote:
broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I'm not finding excuses.

Just out of interest Broomo, what are your thoughts on our defence at the moment? Or Nigel's defensive signings?

The defense so far has been a disaster, apart from Macca and Bishop.

The defensive signings so far look to have been disastrous. Hewitt especially looks poor. Not what I expected at all, especially after watching the Hull friendly where I thought he looked very solid indeed.

I've seen Nartey play much better at a higher level so there's hope but I'm not sure I'd pick him after Saturday's horror show.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:31 am

Stephen McLaughlin has been great going forward but better defending from him could have given us 4 more points. He gave the penalty away at Col U, did not pick up Andy Cook with James Perch against Bradford City, let Tyreece Simpson get in front of him against Swindon and was beaten in the air by Ash Taylor at Walsall.

He is playing in the hardest position on the pitch as he is constantly up and down and generally has more touches of the ball than any other player on the pitch including the opposition.

Stephen McLaughlin - Touches
Bristol Rovers - 91
Newport County - 71
Col U - 98
Bradford City - 105
Swindon - 87
Harrogate - 69
Walsall - 75
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 am

broomo wrote:
lifestags wrote:
broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I'm not finding excuses.

The defense so far has been a disaster, apart from Macca and Bishop.

The defensive signings so far look to have been disastrous. Hewitt especially looks poor. Not what I expected at all, especially after watching the Hull friendly where I thought he looked very solid indeed.

I've seen Nartey play much better at a higher level so there's hope but I'm not sure I'd pick him after Saturday's horror show.

And who carries the can for this ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:13 am

gazza1988 wrote:I've been thinking about this for a bit.

A well thought out post, if we get better each season, then we cannot fail to reach our goal

bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:01 pm

broomo wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
bear 73 wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Broomo do not get dragged into his confrontational world, this forum is about football, not him

But Belly does have a point Forest have just lost again and if Clough was given the chance to manage forest ( can’t see it myself ) the pair of you would be gone wouldn’t you ??

Believe me if Clough got offered the Forest job and he took it leaving Mansfield in situation were they were struggling, i would go no where near the City ground
Clough has come to Mansfield to do a job , get the club promoted , with a two and a half year contract.
Clough has never jumped ship in his life , and i am sure the Mansfield Fans have made a big impression on him.
Now is the time to pull together as a club , ride this poor spell out, and come out strong.
Clough his honesty and integrity is there for all to see, and loyalty makes the man

Like i said early on last week forest fans would have a meltdown taking on a manager who has led a p**spoor league 2 side to the dizxy heights of 20th position!!.

Personnally ive seen absolutely nothing in his management that leads me to believe we'll be successful under him....

Transfer market : terrible... Has brought in some awful players (ie hewitt, stirk, burke and even signing injured players!)
Tactics : negative & boring as hell... Refuses to admit mistakes and too stubborn to change from his ineffective formation, plays his favourites every weekk even if there out of position.
Man management : questionable...has destroyed any shred of confidence left in this team of bottle jobs.

Controversial maybe.. but for me he has to go if we lose Saturday... Get coops back in charge! We looked better under him then we ever have under negative nige!

Maybe if folk like you paid the tenner to watch the game instead of pirate streaming, then pulling the manager apart every week, they'd have a bigger budget and wouldn't be piss poor, failing or ready to skulk off with their reputation in tatters.

What are you on about? Me and the boy have been to every home match this season... And Even if i was streaming it for free i doubt that my £10 a week would buy us a decent defence.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Gazmoose82 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:13 pm

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I'm not finding excuses.

I seriously doubt bellwhiff sides with me :lol:
If anything it would be the opposite way round! .

Posting absolute rasperry about the manager? :You mean the facts?
Vendetta? :Get a grip its just a messageboard.

I get you have to stick up for your mate... I would do the same in your position i really would.. but do you ever stop to think that your constant positivity and clough is god mentality is irritating to us lifers who have had enoughof the disappointment over the years?.

These things work both ways you know
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:53 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:
broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I'm not finding excuses.

I seriously doubt bellwhiff sides with me :lol:
If anything it would be the opposite way round! .

Posting absolute rasperry about the manager? :You mean the facts?
Vendetta? :Get a grip its just a messageboard.

I get you have to stick up for your mate... I would do the same in your position i really would.. but do you ever stop to think that your constant positivity and clough is god mentality is irritating to us lifers who have had enoughof the disappointment over the years?.

These things work both ways you know

I don't think he's god. Son of god maybe. I'm not constantly positive either. My comments after the Walsall game were hardly positive.

You don't post facts. You post YOUR opinions, including the latest garbage cheap tag of Negative Nigel, which shows you clearly can't read a football match at all.

Sorry that I'm not slitting my wrists but I trust him and his staff and players to sort things out.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:59 pm

7 games played and we've been relegated according to some... classic stagsnet.

I trust the staff and players to turn things around. Its fine to criticise and voice your opinion when its not going well, but some just want us to do badly... you can tell because after the first two games they were no where to be seen.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:54 pm

Sedgwick wrote:7 games played and we've been relegated according to some... classic stagsnet.

I trust the staff and players to turn things around. Its fine to criticise and voice your opinion when its not going well, but some just want us to do badly... you can tell because after the first two games they were no where to be seen.

name me one poster who wants us to do badly ?

stupid statement
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:57 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:7 games played and we've been relegated according to some... classic stagsnet.

stupid statement

The morons only come out when were doing badly, no where to be seen when were doing well, pretty self explanatory as to why...
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:15 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

stupid statement

The morons only come out when were doing badly, no where to be seen when were doing well, pretty self explanatory as to why...

Yes your right... Anyone who isnt happy being 20th in lg2 is a moron :roll:
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:20 pm

Many of you weren’t happy with being 4th…..

I agree with Sedgwick. There are a few on here who seem to be delighted when we lose
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:23 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Many of you weren’t happy with being 4th…..

I agree with Sedgwick. There are a few on here who seem to be delighted when we lose

There are. We know about Norman and BTF. Others are just pissed off at this situation we are in where we have not got players in to sort out a defence that was screaming out to be fixed. An utter failure

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:27 pm

I agree re the transfer window. The second poor window under Clough in my opinion.

Some of the comments calling us negative a laughable though. If anything it’s the complete opposite and we probably need to be a bit more negative
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum